Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Torrent/PtP survey

Options
  • 12-06-2008 12:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23

All,
    I'm trying to see which provider appears to have the "best" policy on throttling Torrent traffic with a view to changing from eircom (downturn and all that). My choices are

Stay with eircom

Move to UPC/NTL

Move to BT/Smart/Perlico bitstream

IBB

All views welcome

Thanks,
    OJ

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Smart don';t throttle, NTL; are believed to throttle...perhaps using sandvine or something similar

If you plan on downloading alot then go with likes of BT Business or Smart imho

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Move to BT/Smart/Perlico bitstream

Smart aren't bitstream, they use LLU. As mentioned, they impose practically no limitations at all. If available, you should get them. BT business is another option, no caps (I believe) and very little limitations too.

There's a lot of posts recently saying UPC don't throttle, though it might depend on how much you use it and maybe what ports you're using.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,180 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are many reasons to move to Smart. Torrents are just one.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,481 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Well I used BT Business for 18months and pretty much maxed the line 24/7 and never heard a work from them regarding usage,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

if u can get smart be happy and get them

best isp in ireland , gaming downloading stability wise!
    gl

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭delllat

in my opinion ntl definately throttle their torrents,I spent many hours trying to help a freind get good torrent speeds on a ntl 6 meg line and it was impossible,

ive had faster torrents on 2meg internet from other companies than ntl 6 meg,for some reason no matter how many things u try the speeds crawl along at no-where near the speeds a line like that shoule be capable of

something underhanded is going on at ntl,we had them on the phone,had technicians visit the apartment,(they said there was a problem with the line-there wasnt!) even the technicians configured the router etc the torrents were still crawling ,also tried differnt laptops,torrent clients,differnt trackers-private and public,torrents with loads of seeds that should absolutely fly down the line still crawl on ntl

he eventually cancelled with them due to all the bull**** but honestly what is the use of paying for a superfast line line off ntl if u can only open web pages with it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭h8red

I'd get Smart in a flash if I could. No caps & no contention. I've got BT for the moment tho. No throttling.

Advertisement