Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was biology?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 12:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13

Just out, actually thought it was an alright paper. Didnt expect respiration to come up again. Also, at the ecology experiment I went completely blank :( couldnt remember.

A fair paper but.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭Erica-smiley

I thought the whole thing was horrible.... Thought the questions were kind of weird and off-puttin!
    Its a good thing I'm counting bio as my 7th subject!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Thought i done great , Came out nd a fella asked to take pictures for the examiner

Jumped at d opportunity haha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

Would've been a lovely paper if I'd actually opened a book yesterday :(

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

I was delighted! I knew that digestion and enzymes were tipped to come up. But wasn't it weird how photosynthesis and genetics were put together? Thank god i looked over ecology expts this morning!!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Blitz17

Would've been a lovely paper if I'd actually opened a book yesterday :(

Was a lovely paper for me, and i never opened a book for the year, nd barely went to class :D:D

Whoop Whoop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

I dropped down to pass:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Anyone want to write solutions to the genetics questions once the exams come online? (examinations.ie)

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭emmie-lou

oh god it was horrible...that will teach me not 2 study but no more worrying about it till the results in august!

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Kennym_27

Why would you want the soloutions? To make you feel worse if you got some of the questions wrong?
    I'm fairly happy with it, thought the short questions were a bit iffy and ended up leaving out the photosynthesis. Wasnt a lot on it :confused: But yeah, hopefully a C3! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 mike-gunners

Biology Paper Was P*ss easy.I answered every single question in the exam and by that i
    mean every question from section A, B and C

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 255 ✭✭JC06

Thought it was ok, hopefully better than the mock! Some of the short questions were horrible like that neuron one :( Didn't really like the digestion question but I had to do it! The ecology question was good though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10 tute08

Sweet as a nut! Did every question on the paper! One or two of them had funny wording, but generally it was easy!

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Thought it was grand. Answered everything, though my ecology experiment was poor. Hopfully an A

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Pretty much the best paper that i could have hoped for, with excretion, digestion, bacteria and photosynthesis coming up in the long questions, as well as the usuals - Ecology and Genetics.

I was very happy and may have scraped an A :)

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Loved it! Didn't like the experiments though, took me a while to do the IAA one and I'm not sure I did the right one for the Enzyme experiment but it's over now. I loved the genetics question. 'Twas bootiful!

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

mars bar wrote: »
    Loved it! Didn't like the experiments though, took me a while to do the IAA one and I'm not sure I did the right one for the Enzyme experiment but it's over now. I loved the genetics question. 'Twas bootiful!

+1, I thought it was pretty good, loved the genetics and digestion questions. Got confused with the enzyme and ecology exps though, and I thought the virus question about the rabbits was particularly weird. :/ But overall, nice enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Riverperson

Oh thank you Leaving Cert god, that was one lovely paper. I think it's my 1st A1.
    I'm so happy...shame I have german tomorrow. *cry*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 nairy-hipples

i loved the paper!! cud answer all of section A without a hitch!! did every question on the paper. im afraid to jinx it but im hoping to get an A! better then my D1 in the mocks, tho i put a lot of work in since then and we hadnt finished the course by the time of the mocks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I thought the way they asked some of the questions was a bit odd too. what was with the CO2 and Urea and what they are derived from? didn't make any sense...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Kennym_27 wrote: »
    Why would you want the soloutions? To make you feel worse if you got some of the questions wrong?
    I'm fairly happy with it, thought the short questions were a bit iffy and ended up leaving out the photosynthesis. Wasnt a lot on it :confused: But yeah, hopefully a C3! :D

Nah, I think I got it right, but not positive, so wanna know.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2 christine_90

Yeah i quite liked it. I loved the genetic crosses long question! Hopefully got a B1 or an A.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

I thought the way they asked some of the questions was a bit odd too. what was with the CO2 and Urea and what they are derived from? didn't make any sense...
    Yeah that was a pretty abstract question..

I just answered that Urea was derived from Amino Acids and CO2 from Water.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

oleary91 wrote: »
    I dropped down to pass:D
    I almost did that this morning I was so nervous going in, so glad I didnt now, the honours paper was quiet nice and I definitely passed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

Lot harder than I expected.

Especially the short answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

I said urea came from amino acids and describer how it went from amino acids to amnonia to urea... not a clue on Co2, said oxygen (possibly the worst answer I put down in the whole lc!)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

I just said urea came from ammonia and CO2 came from Carbohydrates.

Meh, i dont care. Itsall over now sure

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

Can anyone confirm the answers to the questions on the little "comprehension" thing on part (b) of question 15? I would think I got them all right but I just want to be sure because the answers for these are kind of unclear. In shorthand the questions were:

i. why was the rabbit population decimated when the virus first came
    ii. reason why virus is no longer threat
    iii. one advantage and disadvantage of biological controls
    iv. will HIV be less serious for humans in future and why
    v. how virus replicates (no need for this one as it's outlined clearly in textbooks etc.)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Thought it was a grand paper for anyone that actually did a bit of study. I only did a bit of crammin' last nite though but hoping for a B3. Did all the long Qs but skipped a few bits. Short Q were pretty hard. Loved the genetics Q though - wouldn't usually go for it but it was probably my best Q as once you listened when you did genetics in class it was quite easy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 79 ✭✭daithi_student

Boink08 wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm the answers to the questions on the little "comprehension" thing on part (b) of question 15? I would think I got them all right but I just want to be sure because the answers for these are kind of unclear. In shorthand the questions were:

v. how virus replicates (no need for this one as it's outlined clearly in textbooks etc.)

i.the rabbit pop. was decimated because they had never encountered this disease before and therefore had no antibodies to combat it.
    ii.The antibodies were produced after being exposed to the virus
    iii.advantage-not releasing chemicals into the ecosystem
    disadvantage-cannot control organism after releasing it.
    iv.No HIV will not be less serious because the virus mutates to quickly for us to produce effective antibodies.

I LOVED THAT PAPER!!!!!:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

Boink08 wrote: »

I said:

i) As the rabbits hadn't encountered the virus before so had no anti-bodies developed to fight the virus.
    ii) The rabbits developed the necessary anti-bodies.
    iii) Advantage: prevents overpopulation of a species
    Disadvantage: just waffled on about how the species may start to decline in numbers and eventually become extinct.
    iv) This Q was about whether you would expect HIV in humans to follow the same pattern as Myxo... in rabbits. I said that I wouldn't because HIV attacks the immune system and so humans wouldn't be able to produce anti-bodies against it as the rabbits did against myxoc...

Probably wrong though as did it last in hurry.

Advertisement