Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was biology?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭oleary91

1huge1 wrote: »
    I almost did that this morning I was so nervous going in, so glad I didnt now, the honours paper was quiet nice and I definitely passed it.

I am really bad at biology so im glad I droped down..Did pass science for the JC then decided to do houners Bio for the LC...I say I only got a D in the pass so I deff wouldnt have been able to do the houners:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 shelly818

That bio paper was one of the nicest i've seen except for that excretion bit didn't like it!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭melboix

Absolutely horrific. I thought the paper was alright in general, I just hadn't a fkn clue. It's cool though, wasn't expecting much from that anyway XD I'm sure I've passed and that was my last, so all's good with the world! :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

MattD wrote: »
    I just said urea came from ammonia and CO2 came from Carbohydrates.

lol sh*te, I said Protein and Glucose.... ah well.
    I thought the saq's were unnessacarily difficult, the Mitosis question as a pie chart thing annoyed the hell out of me. Either way happy with the paper, An A seems possible at this point :D

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Fitzo

BCawley wrote: »
    I thought the saq's were unnessacarily difficult, the Mitosis question as a pie chart thing annoyed the hell out of me. Either way happy with the paper, An A seems possible at this point :D

Ah, Mr Cawley...we meet again

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32 MnMs

i thought was a nice paper...weird experiments but fair

biology is like one of my better subjects so i'm hopig to do well...but i think i really messed up the crosses-the part i find the easiest!!!:eek:

i had loads of time...i did all the short all the experiment and 5 of the long questions...and i left early only like 10/15 minutes...couldn't stay in when i am

FINISHED THE LEAVING CERT FOREVER!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 31,935 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

I said:

i) As the rabbits hadn't encountered the virus before so had no anti-bodies developed to fight the virus.
    ii) The rabbits developed the necessary anti-bodies.
    iii) Advantage: prevents overpopulation of a species
    Disadvantage: just waffled on about how the species may start to decline in numbers and eventually become extinct.
    iv) This Q was about whether you would expect HIV in humans to follow the same pattern as Myxo... in rabbits. I said that I wouldn't because HIV attacks the immune system and so humans wouldn't be able to produce anti-bodies against it as the rabbits did against myxoc...

Probably wrong though as did it last in hurry.

I said the same as you for every question!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

mars bar wrote: »
    I said the same as you for every question!

Great minds think alike and all that...:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

it was an easy paper but i was hoping for reproduction long q and was disappointed photosynthesis n dna wer only 30 marks!!

was mostly stuff i did in 5th year...the excretion lost me but i attempted all questions!

il be happy to get a d :D

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

I said Glucose for C02 as well, since I thought I remembered reading carbon dioxide reacts with the NADPH protons and electrons to make it...

What about the motor neuron diagram, was it
    A=myelin sheath (please don't say it was Schwann cell..I know the difference, but my eyesight sucks)
    B=axon
    C=dendrites?

I thought it was OK, tougher than last year's, but I couldn't think properly cos there was a feckin bird tweeting outside for the whole three hours.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

^ Your motor neuron answers are correct and if they were looking for 'Schwann Cell' they'll accommodate 'Myelin Sheath' too.

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭Bajingo

Your right amino acids are apart of proteins...and glucose is a carbohydrate you said what i said.....I thought the paper was a bit weird but actually pretty good...i hated the short question on the neuron and i am usually good at those ones also i didnt really like the experiments i waffled for the ecology and i dont know if i did the right enzyme one.....hopefully i'll keep my A2 at least from the mocks

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭littlneutralone

Riotguy wrote: »
    ^ Your motor neuron answers are correct and if they were looking for 'Schwann Cell' they'll accommodate 'Myelin Sheath' too.
    NICE. Thanks. Now if they'll accept 'Tetraphase' for 'telophase' I'll be flying..seriously..tetra means four dammit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11 angrylearner

nooo. For the rabbit one I said it was because they had never encountered the virus before only the ones with natural immunity survived and reproduced, therefore producing immune offspring. ie natural selection in action. damn its my own fault so tired i'v been staying up till 5 in the mornin on lucozade nd coffee. worked for history nd geography but bit me in the ass for this paper. so many stupid mistakes!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 axel-offbeat

I dropped down to pass and was so pleased with the paper!:)

I said Glucose for C02 as well, since I thought I remembered reading carbon dioxide reacts with the NADPH protons and electrons to make it...

What about the motor neuron diagram, was it
    A=myelin sheath (please don't say it was Schwann cell..I know the difference, but my eyesight sucks)
    B=axon
    C=dendrites?QUOTE]

I stuck in Axon for B but I was almost sure that I read that axons take the impulse away from the sense organ in my notes the night before. I was wondering then what the "Axon" was in the motor neuron.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

I thought the paper was meh. Probably passed but nothing special. Ah well I'm finished now.:D:D:D

The shorts questions were a bit iffy..

But sound other than that! :D

NOW IM FINISHED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34 x-katz-x

I was so happy with that paper! Im even happier that i decided not to revise sexual reproduction in plants last night cuz it would've been a waste of time.. The genetics, digestion and ecology question were incredible! Im hopin for an A or B with this one..

me too left out sexual reproduction in plants. half 4 in this morning looked at pollen formation nd was like f##k that! lol. can anybody answer my question about the rabbit question please, was what I wrote completely wrong? it seems plausible? i dunno...

• Advertisement

nooo. For the rabbit one I said it was because they had never encountered the virus before only the ones with natural immunity survived and reproduced, therefore producing immune offspring. ie natural selection in action. damn its my own fault so tired i'v been staying up till 5 in the mornin on lucozade nd coffee. worked for history nd geography but bit me in the ass for this paper. so many stupid mistakes!

Yes that would be correct to some sorts. I would have thought that they had to get the disease to get the anti-bodies to pass on in reproduction? The ones who didn't get it won't pass it on. I seem to get the feel from your answer that the ones who didn't get it were the ones who passed on the gene, which wouldn't be particularly true would it?

Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭laura*

ciaranajl wrote: »
    Anyone want to write solutions to the genetics questions once the exams come online? (examinations.ie)

ILL TRY :D

I frigen made a silly mistake of forgetting to cross the sex characteristic
    :(

I didnt really mention anything about the immune system or antibodies, just said the the ones which were naturally immune would be the only ones who could survive and reproduce. hopefully they'll give it to me cos it does happen in nature

I hope they give it to you too!

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭superLeetive

mars bar wrote: »
    Yes that would be correct to some sorts. I would have thought that they had to get the disease to get the anti-bodies to pass on in reproduction? The ones who didn't get it won't pass it on. I seem to get the feel from your answer that the ones who didn't get it were the ones who passed on the gene, which wouldn't be particularly true would it?

Anyone else?

Yeah you have to get a virus before you can build up antibodies against it like when someone gets the flu vaccine they're really getting injected with a tiny bit of the flu virus so that they can form antibodies against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 martincarey

(a) What stage of the cycle is represented by X? ……Interphase
    (b) Give the names of the two processes involving DNA which take place during stage X.
    1.…………Replication………… 2 Build up of energy
    (c) For convenience of study, mitosis is divided into four stages. List these in order starting at A.
    ……………Prophase, Metaphase, Anaphase, Telophase (d) In which of the stages of mitosis that you have listed in (c) would you expect to see the spindle
    fibres contracting? …………Anaphase…………………………………………………………………………
    (e) Explain the term diploid number …………………………………2 sets of Chromosome in the nucleus……………………………………
    ………………………………………………………………………………………………………….
    (f) What term is used to describe a group of disorders of the body in which cells lose the normal
    regulation of mitosis? ………Cancer………………………………………………………………….

were any of those wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

(b) Give the names of the two processes involving DNA which take place during stage X.
    1.…………Replication………… 2 Build up of energy

Build up of energy? You sure? I've just never read it before. I went with protein synthesis seeing as it's the only two DNA 'processes' ever given.

Thats where i am stuck. your probably right, is replication right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

Replication is right. My Biology teacher said that the other reason isn't on the course.

Advertisement