Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How was biology?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

I wasn't exactly sure on that one either...

So I chanced 'DNA Replication' and 'Protein Synthesis' cos the only other DNA process on the course is DNA Profiling which definitely wasn't the answer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Yeah, replication is.

Anyone know what the second one is?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Katerrrs

It would have to be protein synthesis, wouldn't it? cause interphase is the time when the cell is producing new enzymes etc, and as enzymes are proteins, then these must be made by protein synthesis

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

I said synthesis and transcription/translation for the other thing, but that's probably totally wrong...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Boink08

I guessed replication and protein synthesis too :eek: Seems to be the only possibilities as far as I can see. Hope it's right ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 156 ✭✭Riotguy

Great! That means they'll definitely give marks even if it was wrong cos we all put it down!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭22diamonds

I said replication and cytokinesis... but the second one was a total guess!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 56 ✭✭ciaranajl

Cool!

Anyone feel like writing out the two crosses for the Genetics question, please, if you think you got it right?

http://examinations.ie/archive/exampapers/2008/LC025ALP000EV.pdf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 284 ✭✭monellia

Well I handled it better than I should have, considering I was functioning on about three hours sleep! My adrenal medulla must have been overstimulated :p

I surprised myself in that I did well on the short questions (would have prefered the female system to come in long q's, though!) but the rest of the exam was a balls. Oh well, at least I answered everything. All my revision (revision? learning for the first time, more like!) was done the night before and I was mainly concentrating on the predictions (I knew the senses so welllll :( ). I really regret not putting in the work throughout the year now. Oh well, just glad I got through it! :)

That was a quare auld ecology experiment if I do say so myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

Fitzo wrote: »
    Ah, Mr Cawley...we meet again
    How strange, first in the exam hall and now on the internets :p
    Thats where i am stuck. your probably right, is replication right?
    I wrote replication and transcription and felt pretty good about them but i amn't so sure.
    Also for Saq 3 where should a scientist post her theory? I said in scientific journals....... never heard of/seen one in my life :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

BCawley wrote: »
    Also for Saq 3 where should a scientist post her theory? I said in scientific journals....... never heard of/seen one in my life :D

Said the same.... Thought I fabricated the notion but apparently not....lol:D

BCawley wrote: »

This is correct. What about her control experiment, what did everyone say?

How about that question on the mites? What did people say for another method of controlling them instead of pesticides?

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,224 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Boink08 wrote: »
    How about that question on the mites? What did people say for another method of controlling them instead of pesticides?
    I said encouraging the carnivorous mite population, as it would keep the other ones population down

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 123 ✭✭BCawley

lol water, had absolutely no idea what I was supposed to answer

I said introducing more of the carnivorous mites, was the only thing I could think of without dwelling too much.

Also, SAQ 5 (b) glycolisis in the cytosol - What did everyone write? I just wrote the cell membrane, I dont remember Cytosol being on the course :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭kwestfan08

On the question with the piece about the rabbits, one of the questions was would HIV die out in humans over time or something like that, could someone tell me the answer. Cheers:)

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭kaki

I said introducing ladybirds?

I wrote the same as you guys for the mites: Introduce more of the carnivorous mites. Hopefully that's right then - if the three of us got the same.

The cytosol the cytoplasm excluding organelles and the nucleus. And it is on the course (at least it's in my book and my revision book).

For the control I said grow more weeds without pesticide :confused: I'd left the question blank for the whole test and had to fill it in in the last minute so I just wrote down the first thing that came to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 215 ✭✭abcxyz123

For the control I said grow more weeds without pesticide

Cooooooooooorrrrrrrrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeecccccccccccccctttttttttttttttt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Censorsh!t

OMFG I'm SO angry at myself

Instead of doing heat denaturation experiment I done the effect of temperature on rate of reaction!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

To control them instead of pesticides, i said to grow the plants in a greenhouse. Im sure there is no definitive right answer. As long as your answer gets the job done and is sensible, you get the marks

The control experiment is just the weeds with no pesticides growing in the same conditions otherwise.

For the DNA thing [actions during Interphase] im pretty sure that Supercoiling is in there. i said Supercoiling and Replication.

HIV wont lose its effectiveness in humans as it mutates too quickly for us to build up a resistence to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 sdigby

Hi .
    Came on to see your feelings on the paper.
    I am a Biology teacher and may know some of the answers.

Cytosol is really the cytoplasm minus everything suspended in it - i.e the watery stuff.

Urea definitely comes from the breakdown of excess amino acids in the liver (=deamination)
    CO2 comes from breakdown of Glucose during Respiration.

Replication springs to mind for a process involving DNA. your suggestions re protein synthesis etc are very good indeed. that was a tough one!!

The rabbit question was a strange one! really feel it is about Natural Selection but of course antibobies are involved in becoming immune to myxo - mutations are in there somewhere too!

Cross1 Parents were GgLl x ggll

Gametes GL Gl gL gl x gl

F1 GgLl Ggll ggll ggll

Cross 2 XYn- x XXNn

Gametes Xn Y- XN Xn

F1 XXnN XXnn XYN- XYn-

Personally thought it was a very nice paper!

Ooo, a teacher :P

Hey, for Use of Bile in digestion i said

'breaks down large globules of fat into smaller ones (deamination)'

I realise now that its called emulsification... Do i still get the marks, seeing as i know what im talking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 sdigby

Not privy to marking scheme but should think thats ok!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

kaki wrote: »
    I said introducing ladybirds?
    I said introducing spiders or more carnivourous mites

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭Rosstafarian

Can anybody answer these for me??
    Suggest a situation in which some cells in the human body may not be able to engage in the second
    stage of aerobic respiration……………………………………………………………………………?

Is that no mitochondria??

Which part of the system is influenced by both FSH and LH? ……………….……………………….

Give two biological advantages of breastfeeding.??

No oxygen means that aerobic respiration cant take place: ie after heavy exercise [reason for cramps = build up of lactic acid due to anaerobic respiration taking place]

The Fallopian Tube i think is affected by both... i wasnt sure about that one. I knew FSH defo affected Fallopian Tube so...

breastfeeding. passes antibodies to child in breastmilk
    And theres something to do with oxytocin... good for the mother. I think its like a hormone that induces happiness :confused:

I really dont think adding more carnivorous mites or ladybirds would work for a way to get rid of the mites in the ecology question. The question implied that the carnivorous mites made the situation worse as the mites came back in greater numbers after the carnivourous ones died when they moved away. At the end of the extract there was a line saying something like 'Leaving the situation worse than before the arrival of the carnivorous mites'

Can anybody answer these for me??
    Suggest a situation in which some cells in the human body may not be able to engage in the second
    stage of aerobic respiration……………………………………………………………………………?

Not enough oxygen is being taken in e.g. during heavy excercise

Is that no mitochondria??

Which part of the system is influenced by both FSH and LH? ……………….……………………….

Ovary

Give two biological advantages of breastfeeding.??

-Breastmilk contains the ideal balance of nutrients for the baby
    -Breastmilk supplies antibodies to the baby helping it resist infections and prevent it developing allergies

MattD wrote: »
    No oxygen means that aerobic respiration cant take place: ie after heavy exercise [reason for cramps = build up of lactic acid due to anaerobic respiration taking place]

The Fallopian Tube i think is affected by both... i wasnt sure about that one. I knew FSH defo affected Fallopian Tube so...

breastfeeding. passes antibodies to child in breastmilk
    And theres something to do with oxytocin... good for the mother. I think its like a hormone that induces happiness :confused:

I really dont think adding more carnivorous mites or ladybirds would work for a way to get rid of the mites in the ecology question. The question implied that the carnivorous mites made the situation worse as the mites came back in greater numbers after the carnivourous ones died when they moved away. At the end of the extract there was a line saying something like 'Leaving the situation worse than before the arrival of the carnivorous mites'

The situation got bad because the carnivorous ones were killed by the pesticide. So it wasn't the carnivorous mites that made the situation worse but the pesticide.

Oh rite.... [embarrassed] :o

I still think the answer i put in the paper was valid.

****... it was Ovary. I had Ovary and scribbled it out :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Dr. Baltar

I dunno about Biology.

I'm looking at a D1 or D2 I think. :(

Advertisement