Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

5 days out - aftercare

Options
  • 12-06-2008 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

Hi guys,

The new tattoo is healing well - it was done on Saturday afternoon. I left the cling film on for 24 hours, washed it by hand with warm water the next day and have not gone near it or wet it since. This was the advice given to me at the studio.

A lot of dry skin / scabs have come off, but there are still a few bits that are not 'loose'.

My question is this - is it ok to put a bit of moisturizer on it this evening? The itchiness is driving me mental!! The advice said yes, but I just want to double check...

Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭Captain Ginger

bwardrop wrote: »
    Hi guys,

The new tattoo is healing well - it was done on Saturday afternoon. I left the cling film on for 24 hours, washed it by hand with warm water the next day and have not gone near it or wet it since. This was the advice given to me at the studio.

A lot of dry skin / scabs have come off, but there are still a few bits that are not 'loose'.

My question is this - is it ok to put a bit of moisturizer on it this evening? The itchiness is driving me mental!! The advice said yes, but I just want to double check...

Thanks!
    Well when I got mine done I was given a tub off tattoo cream which is pretty much moisturiser and it works wonders.

I'm 7 days in now and not one itch.

Just make sure there is nothing in the cream that will do anything bad to the tattoo, there shouldn't be though.
    To be honest though I'm pretty sure that after 5 days you should be fine for most of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,183 ✭✭✭✭Will

I used very gentle moisturiser on mine, bepanthen is quite popular here. It's nappy rash cream but works well.
    if the itchyness is getting a bit much wrap an ice pack in a towel and lay it on the tattoo, either that or give it a lil slap. Don't force or pick at the loose bits, let them fall off naturally.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,123 ✭✭✭✭Star Lord

They told you not to wet or touch it again? That doesn't sound right!!! I used to wash mine 3 times a day, using nothing but warm water, some MILD anti-bacterial soap and my hand, and being gentle with it. You do feel the dead skin coming away in little rolls/balls as you wash it. Also afterwards gently patting it dry with some paper towels, and no rubbing! After that, gently rubbing in some bepanthen (It really is fantastic stuff!)

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

Yeah - the instruction sheet said not to get it wet for 5 days afterwards. I read similar on the web elsewhere, but as is usual with the auld internet, there is the conflicting advice on the next page you look at!

I bought some Bepanthen on the way home and just put it on - feel much better now... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

i bought some stuff called "tattoo goo" online and its fantastic, my tat is a week and a bit old..maybe its 2 weeks aho at this stage but the tattoo goo is supposed to do the same thing as bepantham, but mine arrived after i finished that stage but i use it every day, it a moisturiser and a colour inhancer, i loves it...i must say

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭The Artist

bwardrop wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thanks!
    ive seen post for the ictcheness.
    slap the tattoo i think to get rid of the itcheness.

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭tread_softly

Nools wrote: »
    i bought some stuff called "tattoo goo" online and its fantastic, my tat is a week and a bit old..maybe its 2 weeks aho at this stage but the tattoo goo is supposed to do the same thing as bepantham, but mine arrived after i finished that stage but i use it every day, it a moisturiser and a colour inhancer, i loves it...i must say

that stuff is fab, the smell is amazing!

but you can get it over here, i got mine in celestial.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Nools

oh really i didnt no that! i got my tat there and i didnt see it! ha ah well, i bought it in dollors and i got 2 tins for like $8 so im sure i made some sort of a saving....

but yes it really good, its designed for tattoos so you no its good for you! my tat has brightened up with use. altough its still as itchy as ever...so i use ice packs...mmmm

Advertisement