Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

30 min fire resistance

• 12-06-2008 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭

whats 30 min fire resistance for a steel beam supporting my sunroom roof?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,477 ✭✭✭topcatcbr

paulmallon wrote: »
    whats 30 min fire resistance for a steel beam supporting my sunroom roof?

Im unsure as to what your question is

30min fire resistance for a steel supporting beam = the length of time that beam will resist a fire before becoming structurally weakened.

I suspect however what you meant to ask is how to protect a steel beam to give it a 30 min fire rating

this may be done by lining the beam in 12.5mm firegrade plasterboard.

P411 Homebond manual 4th edition

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

May i ask why you would require a steel beam holding up a roof to have prescribed fire resistance?

may steel lintels on their own would have 1 hr fire resistances....

sydthebeat wrote: »
    May i ask why you would require a steel beam holding up a roof to have prescribed fire resistance?

may steel lintels on their own would have 1 hr fire resistances....

If the beam is below the ceiling it requires protection to a min of 30 min.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

as yes, i was picturing it as an external steel lintel type framework.

basically OP, is this an internal beam appearing under your roof structure?

as topcatcbr says, 12.5 fireboard.... or perhaps intumescent paint, if you want to expose the beam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭ircoha

topcatcbr wrote: »
    Im unsure as to what your question is

30min fire resistance for a steel supporting beam = the length of time that beam will resist a fire before becoming structurally weakened.

I suspect however what you meant to ask is how to protect a steel beam to give it a 30 min fire rating

this may be done by lining the beam in 12.5mm firegrade plasterboard.

P411 Homebond manual 4th edition
    In addition note on pg 411 that the FRPB is fixed to a galvoed lightweight steel support structure and not just to timber 'hilti-ed' onto the steel beam as is often the case

• Advertisement

ircoha wrote: »
    In addition note on pg 411 that the FRPB is fixed to a galvoed lightweight steel support structure and not just to timber 'hilti-ed' onto the steel beam as is often the case

It only shows a suggestion on how to achieve this

I dont see a problem with it being fixed to timber hilti-ed to the steel if it is properly secured. the lining is providing the resistance not the galvoed lightweight steel support structure.

Advertisement