Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VRT on extras gone from July?

Options
  • 12-06-2008 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭

Hi All,

Was just thinking there last night about the way if you bring in a car with nonp-standard extras at the moment you get charged for them, ie sat-nav, leather interior etc.

Since the new VRT system is based on emissions from July onwards, does that mean you can bring in a car loaded to the gills with extras and pay the same as the bog standard model?

cheers,

J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

Afraid not, VRT is still payable on the OMSP of the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,035 ✭✭✭✭-Chris-

+1

The VRT you pay on your extras will fall (or rise, depending on the car), but you'll still have to pay it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

ah ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, can I just say though, sort of makes a joke out of the Greens proposal saying its emission based, ie dont think the sat nav instead of normal dash will make a damn bit of difference to emissions.

Everytime I think we are getting a win or something back theres always a caveat...

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭CPG

tw0nk wrote: »
    ie dont think the sat nav instead of normal dash will make a damn bit of difference to emissions.

Everytime I think we are getting a win or something back theres always a caveat...

The more devices that are running in your car the more demand that places on the engine/fuel consumption. The the energy needed to power your sat nav, Radio, A/C, power seats, trip computer etc etc does not fall from the sky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

sort of makes a joke out of the Greens proposal saying its emission based, ie dont think the sat nav instead of normal dash will make a damn bit of difference to emissions.

The emissions of the car are used to decide on the rate of VRT.

So if you buy a Fiat 500 diesel, CO2 110g, you pay 14% VRT on the whole car, extras included. If you buy a Merc 6.2l AMG CLS, CO2 345g, you'll pay 36% VRT on the whole car, including extras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

ah ok, thanks for clearing that up for me, can I just say though, sort of makes a joke out of the Greens proposal saying its emission based, ie dont think the sat nav instead of normal dash will make a damn bit of difference to emissions.

The rate of VRT is emission based, ie 14%, 16% etc. The amount payable , though, is based on the value of the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

CPG wrote: »
    The more devices that are running in your car the more demand that places on the engine/fuel consumption. The the energy needed to power your sat nav, Radio, A/C, power seats, trip computer etc etc does not fall from the sky.

Unless emissions figures are released for each possible combination of options, then that doesn't make sense. Edit - manual/auto being an exception.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

eoin_s wrote: »
    Unless emissions figures are released for each possible combination of options, then that doesn't make sense. Edit - manual/auto being an exception.

as mentioned above the VRT rate is decided based on the cars emmissions, it has nothing to do with any other extras or the energy they use, the battery energy does not relate to emmissions (although it is another green issue and the less electrical devices the better - but thats another story:D).

however the VRT rate is applied to the value of the car (and the value of a particular car is obviously higher the more extras you buy)

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

If the new VRT rules concern new cars only , why on earth is there a slowdown on the sale of secondhand cars right now? Surely used cars will have the same value once July has come and gone! I thought this VRT thing only affects new cars or am I stupid???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Golfwidow wrote: »
    I thought this VRT thing only affects new cars or am I stupid???

With exchange rates as they are, lots of people are importing used cars from the UK and the North. This makes it harder to sell cars here 2nd hand.

Secondly, lots of people are not changing cars until they see how July prices and trade-ins turn out. If a new Audi A6 drops €7K due to the VRT, prices for 2nd hand ones can't stay the same, a 1 year old car would be dearer than a new one. However, it's going to take a while before dealers and private sellers realize what all those 2nd hand cars are really worth and drop prices, so it's a bad time to buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

If the new VRT rules concern new cars only , why on earth is there a slowdown on the sale of secondhand cars right now? Surely used cars will have the same value once July has come and gone!

I am looking to buy a new car myself, but I am not doing it until August for personal reasons. However I also feel that prices might come down further for across the range (older cars) as newer cars becomes cheaper and more and more people upgrade to their cheaper newer cars. For instance, seeing the new low prices, some rich kid might upgrade his 06 barge to 08 and probably eager to shift his 06 slightly cheaper (as he didn't had to pay much for his 08), and some not so rich guy might want to take advantage of the now cheaper 06 model and hence want to shift his 04 etc etc... But IMHO, this probably would happen in stages, like a bit now, rest in Jan 09 and more Jan 2010 etc...

Just thinking out loud..!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

If the new VRT rules concern new cars only , why on earth is there a slowdown on the sale of secondhand cars right now? Surely used cars will have the same value once July has come and gone! I thought this VRT thing only affects new cars or am I stupid???

a simple example

Honda Accord diesel 2.2 executives current new price = €42,000

second hand 2007-2008 selling for €38,000 to €42,000 depending on spec

price new after July = €36,000

I dont think 07 models will be €38k then!!

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Golfwidow

Ok! Now I get it! However I would imagine this should really have more of an effect on the newer secondhand cars than say those more than five or six years old which everyone knows have depreciated alot in value anyway....But still I can see that with many people waiting to buy new cars till July there will probably be an absolute glut of secondhand cars. on the market...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭WHITE_P

CO2 Emission are calculated as follows, this from a manufacturer's brocher:

The weight of a vehicle will influence the level of CO2 emission it produces, as a result vehicles with higher levels of specification and factory fitted opions may emit higher levels of CO2.

The CO2 figure quoted for each vehicle is the maximum possible. The unladen weight of a vehicle is calculated by range at the time of manufacture and the maximum possible CO2 emission for that weight range is applied according to the council directive 80/1268EEC as amended by commission directive 1999/100/EC on the approximation of the laws of the member states relating to the CO2 emissions and the fuel consumption of motor vehicles.

The CO2 figure quoted for each vehicle is the maximum possible. Does this mean fully loaded with every possible extra I wonder. Maybe one of the posters from the trade could shed some light here.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭erie

Talking about extra options that in uk as standards...

Just registered Merc-Benz B170 - 2007 yesterday... OMSP from revenue VRT calculator website shown €26,872 and 25% of that is €6,718... then the officer said, he need to clarify with Merc-Benz dealer here about OMSP my car (regarding VIN number) with it's optional extras... then M-B dealer quote €37,480, so 25% of that... I have to pay €9370 or €2652 extra from what in website quote... coz my Merc have tonnes of extra options that in UK come as standard plus Sport Pack...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 430 ✭✭Bee

The Greens are a joke proposal!!! and there will be zero effect on CO2 emissions due to the VRT changes, heres a hint, the Chinese have bought nearly 6 million new cars up to July, does anyone seriously think that the minute difference in CO2 output in Ireland will have any effect at all!

Its all smoke and mirrors for the eco-nuts

• Registered Users Posts: 22,317 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I'd say a lot of people will wait until 2009 to buy a new car. The slump may have a while to go yet.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 1,361 ✭✭✭tw0nk

Yeah im very interested in how BMW sales will go until the end of the year and what it will do to the second hand value of their diesel range.

Advertisement