Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Uptight, Uptown, Town Girl...

• 12-06-2008 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭

...or how the Treaty of Lisbon may affect how photographers behave in public.

Ever so often I find that the social perceptions of what is acceptable as a photographic subject cause me to put my camera away.

I am not alone.

http://www.flickr.com/groups/brisbane/discuss/48343/

The vote on the Treaty of Lisbon is today.
    One of the most interesting aspects is that
    Intellectual Property laws will be changed,
    if it is ratified.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,500 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

rofl, thats some story...some people are just crazy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,381 ✭✭✭✭Paulw

Anouilh wrote: »

That's Australia, not Ireland, thankfully.
    if it is ratified.

There is nothing in the Lisbon treaty banning photography, or changing any of the current law, relating to photography. Scare mongering is what is making people even more confused about photographers rights, and even the Lisbon treaty itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭leohoju

if it is ratified.

Without reading the whole of that thread on Flickr, I don't really see how it's relevant to the Treaty of Lisbon. I can't claim to be fully informed, I doubt many can :), but that's also the first time I've heard of anything to do with intellectual property laws being changed with the treaty.

Care to clarify please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,699 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

if it is ratified.

you know, this really isn't the time or the place for this, but this is the sort of thing that has consistently got my goat up over the last few weeks. Anouilh, are you stupid ? or merely intellectually dishonest ? Did someone send you this link and you thought you'd spam it in boards aswell ? Without even bothering to read it ? Or wonder what on EARTH an anecdote from brisbane posted in 2005 had to do with the lisbon treaty ??!?

And here I am, feeding the troll ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

if it is ratified.

Is this another one of those sweeping broad, meaningless statements that we have had to put up with from both sides or is it true?

Section? Page? FFS. Where does it say that?

Well said Daire.

• Advertisement

Maybe this thread should be deleted or moved to the politics forum, since it's got SFA to do with photography.

I've just searched the full text of the Treaty of Lisbon, and can't find anything in it about photography nor a change to Intellectual Property rights.

Sounds like Anouilh is spouting some 2nd hand garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

The possibility of inserting Article 97a into the Treaty of Lisbon still stands and is much debated. Photographers and writers are expecially interested in the development of a standard European copyright legal system.

I have no interest in political views here or in any other thread on the Boards.
    However, when I upload a photo to the Internet I wish to know exactly what the legal position is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

The possibility of inserting Article 97a into the Treaty

Possibility? Jazus wouldn't we be really freaked if we worried about every possible insertion into a treaty. Or into anything else for that matter.:o

EDIT: Even if that was inserted it doesn't stipulate anything except that there be agreement and clarity on intellectual property rights between member states.

I have no interest in political views here or in any other thread on the Boards.
    However, when I upload a photo to the Internet I wish to know exactly what the legal position is.

Then why did you post a political subject in the photography forum?

Your photography legal position hasn't changed, and even under the treaty there was NO proposed change to it.

So, in future, maybe you should keep your political views to the politics forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

The possibility of inserting Article 97a into the Treaty of Lisbon still stands and is much debated. Photographers and writers are expecially interested in the development of a standard European copyright legal system.

I think, Anouilh, your position is diluted by the fact that you are uploading to flickr which is an American site, governed by US legislation and subject to decisions handed down by the courts of Santa Clara in California. The Treaty of Lisbon or insertions thereto are unlikely to impact on your position too much.

Your position is equally diluted by the hamfisted way in which you tried to put it forward. For the record, DRI have a piece on photographer rights and TJM went through the issues at a seminar in DCU for boards.ie photographers some time last year (I can't remember when exactly because I could not stay for all of the seminar series). If you want to press a point forward, an anecdote about some hysteria in Australia is not the way to do it. The substance of 97a might go a way forward along with a rational understanding of how it would impact on you. This is nothing of the kind and it's disappointing to say the least.

• Advertisement
Advertisement