Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox LIVE Broadband problems

Options
  • 12-06-2008 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Hey guys,

Hope this is in the right section...

I have Eircom broadband and my buddy has BT, we are both on xbox live and we are trying to get a game of GTA:IV going but it says constantly that we cannot connect. "unable to connect"

I got wind that it's a port problem, anybody know how to open up ports to enable free playing of ANY rooms?

Thanks alot :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭paddyk

If its a BT problem I can help you get your NAT to open. Thats the only problem I think you can have.

Both of you check your live connection and see what comes up under NAT. Open is the best. If its Eircom that is not open I'm sure someone here can help with that router/modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭eezarthegreat

paddyk wrote: »
    If its a BT problem I can help you get your NAT to open. Thats the only problem I think you can have.

Both of you check your live connection and see what comes up under NAT. Open is the best. If its Eircom that is not open I'm sure someone here can help with that router/modem.

By live connection you mean xbox yea?

I'm set to automatic in the network settings on the xbox

In my router, I have xbox games enabled but I don't see anyway to open up the NAT or ports etc

Thanks for the reply

Right, I am sure the better informed will be on later and explain this better but here goes.

On the Xbox blade go to System blade, thats the last one.

Down 4 places you should see Network settings., press A.

Then press Test Xbox Live connection. Some info should come up on screen, down the very bottom is your NAT. Does it say open, Moderate Or closed.

I had issues with a BT Modem/router till I got some help getting my Nat to open. Its easy once you know what you have to do:D By the way Open is the Best.

The Mods will probably move this to the Xbox forum, but if you have BT, I will be glad to help by PM or on live or MSN what ever.

Right, I am sure the better informed will be on later and explain this better but here goes.

On the Xbox blade go to System blade, thats the last one.

Down 4 places you should see Network settings., press A.

Then press Test Xbox Live connection. Some info should come up on screen, down the very bottom is your NAT. Does it say open, Moderate Or closed.

I had issues with a BT Modem/router till I got some help getting my Nat to open. Its easy once you know what you have to do:D By the way Open is the Best.

The Mods will probably move this to the Xbox forum, but if you have BT, I will be glad to help by PM or on live or MSN what ever.

Thanks paddy, what I'll do is check and get my buddy to check too and i'll let you know,

Thanks for the help :D

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭guil

eez ur with eircom so on the network settings for the x box can ya see auto/manualor pppoe if the last is there select it and enter the username eircom@eircom.net, password broadband1 and ya should get open nat, btw it works for the ps3 so dont know bout xbox

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭--SmItHy--

thats just gta iv for ya, it is a big game online and needs a host with a very good connection to hold a stable game. What speed is your bb connection and what is ur m8s??.....check the upload too as that is what is important for hosting the games!

guil07 wrote: »
    eez ur with eircom so on the network settings for the x box can ya see auto/manualor pppoe if the last is there select it and enter the username eircom@eircom.net, password broadband1 and ya should get open nat, btw it works for the ps3 so dont know bout xbox

Hey thanks guil,

My NAT is open now, gonna try and get my buddy to join me now and see. GTA generally runs fine so hope it works grand :D

Will let you know

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭SamandFrank

Do any other games work for yea online or is gta 4 the only one giving u a problem? I had a big problem with eircom and xbox live. It turned out the firewall on the router had to be on low to connect to xbox live. hope this helps.

Do any other games work for yea online or is gta 4 the only one giving u a problem? I had a big problem with eircom and xbox live. It turned out the firewall on the router had to be on low to connect to xbox live. hope this helps.
    Had the same problem!!...you couldnt download the update yea??....but i think dis guy is connected to live and is just trying to join his friends game!

Ok both of us have our NAT's open but still no joy

My buddy's router is a BELKIN but he is connected to BT

I have a netopia and I'm with eircom

I have my firewall on low and **** me my head is wrecked with this. It appears to be a problem throughout all of our games

We can't even private chat at this stage

any help much appreciated

• Advertisement

ok so could you go to www.speedtest.net and tell me what your upload speed is and tell your friend to do the same! but if your not even getting into a private chat then one of you has a pretty bad problem with their connection by guess is thats its your friends and i never have had these problems with eircom and xbox live!....try www.xbox.com and go to support they have a great range of things that might help you!

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    ok so could you go to www.speedtest.net and tell me what your upload speed is and tell your friend to do the same! but if your not even getting into a private chat then one of you has a pretty bad problem with their connection by guess is thats its your friends and i never have had these problems with eircom and xbox live!....try www.xbox.com and go to support they have a great range of things that might help you!

Hey smithy, thank you for the reply,

we are both on 2mb's/sec

Hey smithy, thank you for the reply,

we are both on 2mb's/sec
    no problem!..are you sure thats your upload speed?that is most likely the download!! if you go to the speed test link it will tell you your upload speed!upload speed is what xbox live needs as you are uploading information from your console to the servers.

--SmItHy-- wrote: »
    no problem!..are you sure thats your upload speed?that is most likely the download!! if you go to the speed test link it will tell you your upload speed!upload speed is what xbox live needs as you are uploading information from your console to the servers.

Sorry yeah that's my download, my upload is 250kbps

We are both on simiar packages with broadband but it still won't work :'(

eezar, can you connect to other players beside your friend? Or can you not join any Xbox live games?

One solution I read is that if you delete each other from your friends list, then send another friend request it "sometimes " sorts out the problem.

Just a thought, make sure you label each other as a preferred player. Might not help but sure it can't hurt :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

You need to make sure access is given to certain ports.

Go to this page and to your router and then select xbox live on the list it gives then follow the instructions. The static ip it asks for is the ip address you are going to give your xbox which you set yourself in the networks settings in the purple slide on your xbox.

You then need to do the same process on your mates xbox.

Try that and you should be sorted if not then try as someone else said removing your friend and adding him again.

Also reset the cache on your xbox which will force it to download any updates again in case you dont have one of them. You will need to download updates for games again aswell but that only takes a min before the game starts.

To delete cache go to System area then Memory then click on device options you'll get here two options, whether to delete or rename don't choose any just enter this code :
    X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X

After you finish entering the code you'll get a prompt screen asking to confirm deleting the cached data you just click OK.

eezar, can you connect to other players beside your friend? Or can you not join any Xbox live games?

One solution I read is that if you delete each other from your friends list, then send another friend request it "sometimes " sorts out the problem.

Just a thought, make sure you label each other as a preferred player. Might not help but sure it can't hurt :D
    Axwell wrote: »
    You need to make sure access is given to certain ports.

Go to this page and to your router and then select xbox live on the list it gives then follow the instructions. The static ip it asks for is the ip address you are going to give your xbox which you set yourself in the networks settings in the purple slide on your xbox.

You then need to do the same process on your mates xbox.

Try that and you should be sorted if not then try as someone else said removing your friend and adding him again.

Also reset the cache on your xbox which will force it to download any updates again in case you dont have one of them. You will need to download updates for games again aswell but that only takes a min before the game starts.

To delete cache go to System area then Memory then click on device options you'll get here two options, whether to delete or rename don't choose any just enter this code :
    X, X, Left Bumper, Right Bumper, X, X

After you finish entering the code you'll get a prompt screen asking to confirm deleting the cached data you just click OK.

Thanks guys, I should be able to get a game going with him in the next day or two and i'll let you'z know.

Thanks super much

Advertisement