Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sothe hype has died down, how overrated is it ?

• 12-06-2008 1:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭

As the subject says, it's out a couple of months at this stage and the hype has died down, how overrated do people think this game is ?
    I've seen a few threads pop up in different sites about this and I'm inclined to agree with them. After the initial rush of excitement about the physics engine etc the underlying game, imo, is boring.
    I think come the end of the year it won't, or shouldn't, be winning Game of the Year awards.

Excuse the thread title missing a space between 'So' and 'the' !

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

It's a new GTA game - does what it says on the tin. I happen to love GTA games and so loved this one. Disappointed with the exclusion of planes, parachutes, bikes and some other things I loved in San Andreas. Very disappointed in the radio - there isn't one station that's got me interested like the previous games did.

I think it will win some awards, but don't think it deserves to be getting world wide "Game of the Year" acclaim that many will try to heap upon it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

no bikes? :( hope they include them for the pc version

all you console [l]users, be sure and complain lots to the developers.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

Um........there are bikes in it.

I'm inclined to agree with Kharn. I do miss a lot of the stuff from SA that he mentioned. I don't miss the cusomisation stuff though. I never really bothered with it all that much. I also don't miss having to keep my body fat and muscle up. That was a right pain in the tits. And yes, the soundtrack is very dissapointing. However, there are a lot of aspects that I really enjoy, that I didn't see coming. For example, I knew we'd have a phone, but I didn't realise it would play such a big part in the game.

But I'm still enjoying the game, and it's only a few minor details like that, that I miss. There's only so much you can fit on a disc I suppose.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

nealmac wrote: »
    Um........there are bikes in it.

He means bicycles

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

I actually like the radio; Thin Lizzy, Rolling Stones, The Who. The dance station is not bad too.

The omission of bicycles is hardly a deal-breaker. The phone and the physics engine are pretty cool. I'm not so sure about the TV, the internet and the control system though.

Great story - best yet maybe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭projectmayhem

silvine wrote: »

Great story - best yet maybe?

absolutely. i think this story is by far the most coherent, and the character is the most interesting out of the entire series.

i think the hype was always going to be insane, but it wasn't building the game up for disappointment, halo style.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,143 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Ahh, the hype was good...I remember all the threads that wore made a day before release. Everyone ringing every Tesco in Ireland about midnight releases! Fun times.

I think it was a tad bit overrated but, it's still the best and most fun game out this year. GTA V should be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭nealmac

KamiKazi wrote: »
    He means bicycles
    Ah. Good point.

*slaps forehead*

but yeah, the storyline is without a doubt the best one yet, and Niko is the most likable main character yet too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭TinCool

I'm definitely still enjoying it. I don't play it every day due to real life, but a few times a week I'll sit down and play it for 3-4 hours solid. It's great fun. I just did a couple of helicopter missions, now that was a good laugh. Going to play it to completion but probably won't be for a while. Too many good games have come out since that I'm playing as well, Lego Indiana Jones and soon to be played MGS4 later on this evening.

TC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 417 ✭✭mika27

I'm still enjoying it after 6 weeks, and I normally get bored of any games that are not racing/fps games after a couple of weeks playing. I think it deserved all the hype just for the engine and the environment they created alone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I loved every second of it. Now that I'm finished the main story and all of the side missions besides killing pigeons/doing stunts I don't play it very much, but I was totally immersed by it until I finished it.
    Seriously considering playing from the start again and making different choices along the way :) Certainly my game of the year, so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28,128 ✭✭✭✭Mossy Monk

Not over rated at all. I still love it.

Just to clarify, I did mean bicycles yes :)

Just to re-iterate what a lot of folks have said, Niko is definitely the most likable lead character of the series so far and the story is very, very good. The use of the phone is excellent and added a nice new spin to the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Very, i've already traded it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

This is a brand new base line for GTA though, look at the difference between GTA and GTA:SA. I'd say we'll see a few more GTAs that will build on this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,893 ✭✭✭Davidius

I got bored after about a week and a half and just don't feel like playing it anymore. =/

ScumLord wrote: »
    This is a brand new base line for GTA though, look at the difference between GTA and GTA:SA. I'd say we'll see a few more GTAs that will build on this game.

QFT! Even the difference between GTA 3 and Vice City was pretty big.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

brilliant, only letdown is the final few missions for 2 reasons.

your pretty much a honed ****ing killing machine and the levels are too easy as your fairly capable of taking on the entire city once you got good cover.

the length of time between them is too long, should wrap it up in one long go then throw you some sort of dude to help you get 100%

kdjac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭eggplantman

no bikes? :( hope they include them for the pc version

all you console [l]users, be sure and complain lots to the developers.
    is it coming out on the pc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 689 ✭✭✭eoin2nc

Its good, but is it a 100% game, not a chance. Far too many niggly issues. Ive played far more Cod4 Halo and Pro Evo that I have GTA

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Don't like it at all. Didn't play my playstaion in about 2 months. Vice city and San andreas were 10x times better imo. Im only on 50% and I got it the day it came out. Just lack of things to do in it made me not like it. Rubbish game:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

I still enjoy playing it, best game ever? eh doubted that before i bought it!

But with real life i don't play it as much as i did with 1/2/3/VC. San Adreas just annoyed me, i really tried playing it alot but the fact it was 200 miles with nothing but stinking feilds inbetween annoyed me.

Yeah miss the bmx's but at least the really annoying elements of SA are gone (going to gym, having to eat every 5mins)

Maybe not game of the year, but would be a good 95%perfect.

It aint no lego star wars!

As good as it is it's not the revolutionary step forward that some people claim it is. At its heart it's still just a game where you rob cars and shot people.

Overhyped? Yes

Disappointing? No

Few niggly issues that annoyed me:
    1) No check-point between missions (very annoying when it's a long drive to get to the start of a mission)
    2) Objects pop in and out of view
    3) Characters half disappear into walls sometimes
    4) Clumsy targeting system
    5) Watching tv in a video game is boring
    6) You tend to see the same car that you are driving everywhere

Things I really like
    1) You feel like you are in control of your destiny
    2) Good characters
    3) Great physics engine
    4) Good music
    5) Nice lighting (check out the airport as the sun sets)
    6) It's BIG
    7) The phone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

^^ Just use a taxi to get instantly transported to the mission location!

I normally do but there are some missions where you can't or you have to make a trip or a drop before hand to get a gun or a car etc.

The taxi is a nice improvement through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 147 ✭✭Geff

Most of the complaints listed here about the game are so minor they don't come close to taking away from the good things about the game. I just finished it this morning and since I started playing it I wasn't too overly impressed at the start but as I got more and more into it I loved it and loved it even more. At the start I said it didn't top GTAVC on the PS2 but now I think its better than all the PS2 games combined. Rockstar have truely pushed GTA into the next generation and the game is stunning. Apart from that the gameplay is incredibly fun, the driving (although frustrating at the start) is fantastic. Every car handles completely differently and its fun honing your driving skills with each car. Getting good at the driving is extremely rewarding and satisfying.

The gunplay couldn't be better I was never a fan of cover based gunplay but GTA has changed my view. I hated it at the start in that it slows the action right down but now I see its more strategic than anything. Autoaim is an absolute joke and it makes the game far too easy, technically there is nothing wrong with it but its just too easy to kill people. Turn it off, so much more fun and satisfying.

The city itself is just perfect there is so much to do and see. I've got about 70 hours clocked up and I know I haven't even seen the half of it. Each area is modelled and laid out perfectly and it actually feels like a real city. The possibilities are endless.

The story was great, it was multilayered and I scoffed when people say you grow attached to some characters but I genuinely did, Niko is a ****ing serious badass and some of the emotion he shows in cut scenes is nothing short of Hollywood acting. Supporting characters are great too especially Roman and Brucie. Class acts. The missions of course can sometimes be repititive but there is enough variety in there to minimise the repititiveness.

Technically for all the minor quibbles people have "characters disappear into walls", "objects pop in and pop out" to be honest in all my playing I've encountered these problems like once or twice. Stand back and look at what Rockstar have done from a technical standpoint its just awe inspiring. The physics are insanely fun and add so much to the game. Especially vehicles who if I went back to PS2 GTAs cars would feel like wooden boxes. I'll think of more to add later.

Also regarding the soundtrack it was hard for Rockstar to select every song they wanted included Dan Houser said they wanted a GENUINE modern NY feel to the soundtrack and this somewhat limited them. 240 songs is not very limiting I know but the stations REALLY grow on you. I've noticed a lot of people will only listen to maybe one or two stations (usually Liberty Rock Radio and Radio Broker, maybe Electro Choc) but seriously branch out it might not be your style of music but listen to other stuff. The Vibe has some great stuff, The Journey has some crackers and Radio Vladivostok is mostly golden too. Don't limit your own listening to two stations the songs are great you just need to explore the stations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Yeah because Konami are ****ed in the head and can't sort out pro evo properly...GTA IV is definitely the best game I have ever played...

It's a brilliant game. But it's over hyped and with features of all the previous GTA's, it would be amazing but they didn't do that so it's not as good as it could be...

But to be honest, Rockstar are doing what any other business would do, they are overhyping with wicked viral campaigns, and then they leave out features so people (like us) will discuss what we want and don't want...they might put one or two new features in and leave the rest out again...and then add them in installments with each new game they make...thus the hype never dies...because everyone wishes and lives in hope of "X" feature being included...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,688 ✭✭✭Nailz

cheesedude wrote: »
    Yeah because Konami are ****ed in the head and can't sort out pro evo properly...GTA IV is definitely the best game I have ever played...
    Play the Metal Gear Series and you'll have a different opinion... If you did and still think this way, I'd say you're mad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Metal Gear has nothing to do with Pro Evo. I've played the metal gear series...Metal Gear 1 was the best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Plambey

bryanjf wrote: »
    Very, i've already traded it in.

clearly not a fan, these games are reknowned for there unbelivable replay value, i whip out gta 3 every so often an have a cruise around the streets only usin the shotgun, and its quality.

infact i just myt do that now

Advertisement