Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

The madeness approaching exits on motorways

Options
  • 12-06-2008 1:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭

Thought I would see if anyone else has notice this or is it standard practice here.

I drive the M50 to work every morning and I have noticed that some drivers wait until the very last second get into the correct lane for their exit. This is really common as you come up to the airport exit at the m50, you see cars speeding down the right hand lane and then swerve across the left lane and into the exit for the airport. Now I could understand this if they road was poorly sign posted but its not, the exit for the airport is well sign posted. I find this practice fairly dangerous and have seen numerous near misses where someone decides to cut across all the traffic just because they were not bothered to get into the correct lane to take the exit.

I know when I am approaching an exit I make sure I am in the correct lane to the take the exit without having to cut across two lanes of traffic.

I have also noticed that people are not purposely getting into the wrong lane at traffic lights so that they can get through the lights without having to queue. There are set of lights near where I live where one lane is for going left and the other lane is for going right, as the left is on filter a lot of people have started driving in left lane and waiting holding up the traffic going left so that they can cut across the traffic to turn right without having to queue.

These are all types of drivers that do this before any says its learners or foreign drivers, its not its all types.

Is this common practice? Is it a lack of knowledge on these drivers parts? Why do people behave like this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

Tazdedub wrote: »
    Why do people behave like this?

They are selfish, and there is little or no enforcement, so they get away with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 191 ✭✭Tazdedub

Zube wrote: »
    They are selfish, and there is little or no enforcement, so they get away with it.

Zube, I know this probably true but can these people not see the dangers that they are causing. Maybe with the crackdown that is starting this week might put a stop to it.

Oh yeah I forgot to mention that these idiots also decide to cut across the lanes without indicating. I am waiting for the day the day that one of them does this and a truck plows into them especially at that end of the m50 where the trucks are heading to the port tunnel. It is complete madness.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

This morning i watched with baited breath as an MPV almost drove straight into a barrier dividing lanes as they had left it so late to move into right lane:(

it managed to swerve into lane at last second

• Registered Users Posts: 7,476 ✭✭✭ardmacha

On US freeways you often see a short section of continuous white line near exits, this would be helpful here to clearly prohibit last minute swerves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

They're the same people that drive as far as possible down on lane, to where it narrows out, when coming onto the M-Way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

ardmacha wrote: »
    On US freeways you often see a short section of continuous white line near exits, this would be helpful here to clearly prohibit last minute swerves.
    It wouldn't make one single difference these people don't know what a solid white line is. They would just drive over the white line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

You'd need a solid traffic island there to stop people swerving over, a white line, hatch markings etc. aren't worth a damn. People do these things because they're selfish incosiderate gob****es whose time is desperately important in their own mind and so they do what they like on the road.

98% of the time you ask yourself the question 'why did that fool do that?' on the roads, the answer is because he's a selfish gob****e, end of.

You'd need a solid traffic island there to stop people swerving over, a white line, hatch markings etc. aren't worth a damn. People do these things because they're selfish incosiderate gob****es whose time is desperately important in their own mind and so they do what they like on the road.

98% of the time you ask yourself the question 'why did that fool do that?' on the roads, the answer is because he's a selfish gob****e, end of.

I agree they are selfish S***s but to risk life and limb to it is just plain stupid. Maybe the gardai should be cracking down on this sort of behaviour rather than on whether your tax, insurance and NCT are up to date.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Tazdedub wrote: »
    I agree they are selfish S***s but to risk life and limb to it is just plain stupid. Maybe the gardai should be cracking down on this sort of behaviour rather than on whether your tax, insurance and NCT are up to date.

It is plain stupid but the people engaging in this sort of behaviour are either not thinking about it at all, or if they are they don't give a **** about other road users.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭dade

same happens approaching teh port tunnel from teh M1. they are in the far right lane and the cut out in front of trucks etc and head on into whitehall, half teh time they muscle their way in forcing people to move into teh hard shoulder or to brake so they can fit in. it's bloody nightmare. many a near miss i see every day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 294 ✭✭Omcd

It's absolute friggi!n mayhem on the M50 between Ballymount and Red Cow lately - up to two driving lanes on M50 stopped with people trying to get over to the blocked up slip road to get off for the N7 and traffic trying to thread across from the Ballymount on ramp to the right most M50 lane, its one monumental mess thats been created there - why could that not been envisaged in the new M50 design. They should have taken the opportunity to put an exit lane flying over the Ballymount on ramp and free flowing without traffic lights onto the N7 for traffic exiting the m50, instead of persisting with entering traffic crossing exiting traffic in a relatively short stretch of the road, failing that two lanes onto the N7 off ramp instead of one would have been a good idea considering the volume of traffic that uses it.

And why can those trying to exit to the N7 from the centre M50 lane not go to the left most lane of the M50 before the junction.

I too have come across plenty of drivers speeding down the right most lane and then at the exits just jamming on the brakes and hacking straight into the middle lane and then finding they are blocked by undertaking traffic in the left lane so end up practically having to stop in the middle lane until they get across...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭blackbox

Ah Jaysis...

...don't get me started!

:mad:

Omcd wrote: »
    I too have come across plenty of drivers speeding down the right most lane and then at the exits just jamming on the brakes and hacking straight into the middle lane and then finding they are blocked by undertaking traffic in the left lane so end up practically having to stop in the middle lane until they get across...

This would be easy to solve, all that would need to happen would be to have garda stationed there on a bike and just stop these idiots.

On the new N2 coming from ashbourne to Finglas there is a filter lane for getting onto the M50 northbound and the amount of trucks, buses (especially buses) and cars that get into that lane that have no intention of going onto the M50 just so that they can jump the queue for the lights to go straight on into finglas or onto the M50 southbound is unreal. What happens is that they jam on then block the filter lane as they wait for someone to let them in or till they bully their way in, this means that people who are obeying the rules and trying to get onto the M50 northbound are then held up by them. :mad:

Advertisement