Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Back to 1990's Tyco Rc

Options
  • 12-06-2008 1:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭

Hey, Does anyone have any of thoses 1990's Tyco radio control cars lying around?

Fast traxx, scorcher, hijacker, devastator, bandit??
    I had them as a kid and would love to have one again for sentimental reasons.

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

mondeo wrote: »
    Hey, Does anyone have any of thoses 1990's Tyco radio control cars lying around?

Cheers

Jesus there was only someone selling one of those on adverts recently. It took them ages to sell it but it finally went for about 5 euro only a week or two ago.

tbh though there a toy and not great. Why don't you get a proper rc car?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭mondeo

Jesus there was only someone selling one of those on adverts recently. It took them ages to sell it but it finally went for about 5 euro only a week or two ago.

They were quick enough for what they were... Ye I might get somthing more up to date but I fancy electric rather then a noisy nitro yoke.
    I miss my old Tyco Fast Traxx

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

There is a world of differance between a toy rc car and a hobby grade one. I got myself a Team Associated B4 1:10 electric buggy, great fun wuld never go back to what I used to mess around with a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,142 ✭✭✭T-Maxx

Jesus.
    Mary.
    Joseph.
    Oh my God.
    For Christ's sake.

WTF is it with the Irish?:eek:

There is a world of differance between a toy rc car and a hobby grade one. I got myself a Team Associated B4 1:10 electric buggy, great fun wuld never go back to what I used to mess around with a few years ago.

What make and model do you have?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

What make and model do you have?

I think he said Team Associated B4 :rolleyes:

>> THIS ONE << ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭workaccount

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Jesus.
    Mary.
    Joseph.
    Oh my God.
    For Christ's sake.

Sorry. I didn't realise you were a professor of language and literature. I will have to be more careful from now on I suppose. :rolleyes:

vectra wrote: »
    I think he said Team Associated B4 :rolleyes:

>> THIS ONE << ;)

Thats a make and model?? haha did not know that lad thanking you.
    Heres the link of the car I'm thinking of getting. Oldskool!! Look at this
    http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58336hornet/index.htm

T-Maxx wrote: »
    Jesus.
    Mary.
    Joseph.
    Oh my God.
    For Christ's sake.

Whats the story with the internetz??? ......WTF, FTW:p

Mondeo, thats old school alright, Tamiya are after re-releasing a load of old RC cars, they seem to be aimed at folk who used to run them, or collectors.

I would say if thats what you are looking for then go for it, those cars are probably decent, but would probably be similar in some areas to a toy rc car these days. The hobby grade stuff seems to have moved on quiet a bit since those models where out.

It reall depends what you are planning to do with it, just mucking about in the garden or field then you could have a bit of fun with the tamiya.

Just to show some of the differances.

Rear suspension on a RC10B4, completly independent left and right.
    b4team08.500.jpg

Rear setup on Hornet, is a solid rear axle pivoting where it connects to the chassie. Very same setup as a €50 toy from Smiths.
    tamiya_hornet_construction_small.jpg
    Couldn't link to the pic in from the Tamiya site.

Bat at the end of the day it's whatever you want yourself, its all about having fun ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭The Doktor

Thats a make and model?? haha did not know that lad thanking you.
    Heres the link of the car I'm thinking of getting. Oldskool!! Look at this
    http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/58336hornet/index.htm

DO NOT BUY THAT!

Years ago I had a hornet when I was a wee lad. It is one of the worst handling cars ever. If you look at the back of it the whole gearbox and motor is unsprung. It doesnt actually have independent suspension. When you drive it on any kind of slightly eough terrain it bounces around and is very very difficult to keep in a straight line.
    If you want a Tamiya (and I am a fan of tamiya) look at somthing else.
    For the same price as the Hornet you could get one of the DT-02 cars (sand viper, desert gator, or neofalcon which are the same chassis different body)

Fuzzy got in there above.. sayin what im sayin about the rear axle
    Those were the days, when the mechanical speed controller used to come with a johnny to keep em dry! Still wouldnt buy a hornet for nostalgia though... Now a Fast Attack Vehicle I would buy!

The Doktor wrote: »
    DO NOT BUY THAT!

Years ago I had a hornet when I was a wee lad. It is one of the worst handling cars ever. If you look at the back of it the whole gearbox and motor is unsprung. It doesnt actually have independent suspension. When you drive it on any kind of slightly eough terrain it bounces around and is very very difficult to keep in a straight line.
    If you want a Tamiya (and I am a fan of tamiya) look at somthing else.
    For the same price as the Hornet you could get one of the DT-02 cars (sand viper, desert gator, or neofalcon which are the same chassis different body)

Fuzzy got in there above.. sayin what im sayin about the rear axle
    Those were the days, when the mechanical speed controller used to come with a johnny to keep em dry! Still wouldnt buy a hornet for nostalgia though... Now a Fast Attack Vehicle I would buy!

From what I understand of the re-released editions of the hornet is that they use a modern chassis such as the one used in the sand viper unlike the original hornet. It just looks like the original hornet yet underneath is it not the same car at all. Ultimately it is just a ghost shell of what the hornet use to be in the 1980's..

I'm also considering the gravel hound 4wd model but I would prefer the old skool as back in the day my parents would never buy me the (back then high tech stuff) hornet.

I'm still on the look out for an old Tyco even if it is a toy, for old times sake.

The pic above is of the new chassie.

yes.. the Hornet is an upgraded version!
    It has oil filled rear dampers and an ESC, unlike the original!!!!:D
    Other than that, its identical im afraid. Otherwise id have one!

To be honest, if i wanted a cheaper Tamiya, id go for the Durga. There are stories afoot of one beating high end stuff like trf501s, b44s etc... :D
    All be it a seriously hopped up Durga.

Though just checking now, if its cheap you are after the gravel hound is a good bit cheaper than a durga, and in fairness the gravel hound isnt half bad (i have one)

yes.. the Hornet is an upgraded version!
    It has oil filled rear dampers and an ESC, unlike the original!!!!:D
    Other than that, its identical im afraid. Otherwise id have one!

To be honest, if i wanted a cheaper Tamiya, id go for the Durga. There are stories afoot of one beating high end stuff like trf501s, b44s etc... :D
    All be it a seriously hopped up Durga.

Though just checking now, if its cheap you are after the gravel hound is a good bit cheaper than a durga, and in fairness the gravel hound isnt half bad (i have one)

I dont mind the originality of the hornet, least it has up to date shocks as opposed to the antique ones, plus you can also put even better ones on right?

I would love to take a gravel hound for a spin before I buy one..if i buy one.
    Next week I'll have made my mind up and order a full kit online.

I dont mind the originality of the hornet, least it has up to date shocks as opposed to the antique ones, plus you can also put even better ones on right?

You can put the worlds best shocks on a hornet, it will still handle like a pig! A bad pig at that!

Even back in the day when it was out, it was famous for being crap!

There was plenty of other tamiya cars out at the time which were better. But back then in Ireland there was no internet to find out about it vefore you bought it!

I had a Fast Attack Vehicle, I sold it to get the newer hornet, that was a big mistake! the FAV was actually better because it had independent suspension.

I wouldnt even buy one, and I have lots of great memories with mine when i was a wee fella.

You can put the worlds best shocks on a hornet, it will still handle like a pig! A bad pig at that!

Even back in the day when it was out, it was famous for being crap!

There was plenty of other tamiya cars out at the time which were better. But back then in Ireland there was no internet to find out about it vefore you bought it!

I had a Fast Attack Vehicle, I sold it to get the newer hornet, that was a big mistake! the FAV was actually better because it had independent suspension.

I wouldnt even buy one, and I have lots of great memories with mine when i was a wee fella.

Right so to hell with the hornet, it's a gravel hound or a sand viper I'll go for.
    If I want the look of the hornet I could always stick a hornet body onto a sand viper being rwd aswell

Right so to hell with the hornet, it's a gravel hound or a sand viper I'll go for.
    If I want the look of the hornet I could always stick a hornet body onto a sand viper being rwd aswell

One thing i will say about the gravel hound is there isnt to many hop ups for it. If you want a tamiya 4wd, maybe you should look at the dark impact. or the durga. though it depends on your budget or if you ant to hop it up at all

mondeo, it really depends what you are planning to do with the car. If it is just to mess about then I would go for what The Doktor suggests. But if you are planing on getting involved in clubs then you may want something different.

Whereabouts are you located?

Myself I am only into the hobby a few months, I got myself a 1:10 scale Nitro Truggy to start out, and to be honest I pretty much never use it anymore.
    I had planned to just doss about with it, but I got involved with a couple of clubs and now I race a 1:8 scale nitro buggy and a 1:10 electric buggy, and I wasn't really interested in racing when I got the truggy.

So if you can try to find a club near you and go down and have a chat to the lads, and see what they are running.

mondeo, it really depends what you are planning to do with the car. If it is just to mess about then I would go for what The Doktor suggests. But if you are planing on getting involved in clubs then you may want something different.

Whereabouts are you located?

Myself I am only into the hobby a few months, I got myself a 1:10 scale Nitro Truggy to start out, and to be honest I pretty much never use it anymore.
    I had planned to just doss about with it, but I got involved with a couple of clubs and now I race a 1:8 scale nitro buggy and a 1:10 electric buggy, and I wasn't really interested in racing when I got the truggy.

So if you can try to find a club near you and go down and have a chat to the lads, and see what they are running.

I'm based in Dublin 16, I'm not really interested in joining clubs as yet, maybe in the future when I am more proficient. Interested in messing about with it in the park or whatever. Loads of nice places where I live to run one of these
    and have a laugh with it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I used a Grasshopper (same chassis as the Hornet) as a basis for a budget Baja Bug/Sand Scorcher for the Mrs, but as a performance buggy, they're not the best.20 years suspension R&D at Tamiya really shows! I've a cut-down TB02 chassis I'm using for a rally Mini project, and it's a much better chassis.

For general bashing and getting used to it, you can't go wrong with something like the Gravel Hound :
    http://www.goldstarstockists.com/playtime/tamiya-offroad.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭Rashers

I can understand why you'd like to get one again for sentimental reasons.

Why not stick an ad in Adverts?

Best of luck.

Rashers wrote: »
    I can understand why you'd like to get one again for sentimental reasons.

Why not stick an ad in Adverts?

Best of luck.

I did already , theres a few on ebay but Im not pushed about buying stuff on ebay. Their all in the states anyways. I'd probably never see the yoke if I bought it anyways.

I bought the gravel hound from here for £134. I was tempted to buy the Lunch Box I really was at £115 thats madness. Argos want E-299 for the lunchbox...good luck

http://www.goldstarstockists.com/playtime/tamiya-offroad.htm

I cant wait to go to Bushy park in Rathfarnham now to mess about with it.:)

kewl, good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

I've bought a few bits from Goldstarstockists/timetunnelhobbies in the past, good shop to deal with, they offer a discount to tamiyaclub members as well.

Its a good chassis on the gravel hound (df-02). Only thing that broke was one of the front hubs, which are cheap to replace.
    Theres also plenty of blue aluminium to stick on it too!

I got my gravel hound on friday,That was quick postage.. I'm putting it together today. I wonder what colour I'll paint it?, I'm thinking yellow. I'll stick a pic up when i have it built. I've already ordered the Rs motor and a better esc for it, I'll probably get that on Tuesday.

Are you suppose to run in these engines or can I let it rip from day one?
    Thoses brushless motors have to be run so I have read.

I got my gravel hound on friday,That was quick postage.. I'm putting it together today. I wonder what colour I'll paint it?, I'm thinking yellow. I'll stick a pic up when i have it built. I've already ordered the Rs motor and a better esc for it, I'll probably get that on Tuesday.

Are you suppose to run in these engines or can I let it rip from day one?
    Thoses brushless motors have to be run so I have read.

One thing id advise you do, is get better shocks for it! the plastic onse that come with it are ****e.
    There is tamiya shocks for it (df-02), but i believe the df-03 shocks fit it too.

And so it begins.... finding blue shiney things to stick on yer car!

• Advertisement

I put my gravel hound together ( painted it blue as illustrated on the box ) and took it for an early morning run down the car park of my sports centre. Hmmmm not as fast as I was expecting, bit surprised after paying 195euro for it it's no gunner for sure.

I'm expecting delivery of the sport tuned 540 motor tomarrow or wednesday so this should speed it up abit. It looks great though but as it stands my sorely missed fast traxx would outrun it on the straight no problem...

Advertisement