Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

2/3rds into Prague Cemetery and I've picked up the third book in the fencer trilogy as a side reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

About 3/4 way through Lies of Loch Lomora. Im quite enjoying it. Got a bit sidetracked when reading and only picked it up again recently. Have afew days off coming up so im planing to finish it off. Dont think I jump into the next in series just yet.. Might go for The Blade Itself next.. Good Plan???

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Reading The Quiet War by Paul McCauley, thought from the first couple of chapters it was just going to be a generic space combat sci-fi because it was just a description of a few fighter pilots training and I hadn't read anything about it when I started but then it hits its stride and is one of the best looks of future human society Ive ever read, and Im only 2/3 of the way through the first of the four books in the series. Best sci-fi Ive read in ages, excellent views of the politics, technology and history in a cold war between Earth and the rest of the Solar System in the aftermath of a major war.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. I'm about 90 pages and I like it, a lot, and it's much more enjoyably than Red Country. He really seems to be benefiting from going away from the First Law world.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Thargor wrote: »
    Reading The Quiet War by Paul McCauley, thought from the first couple of chapters it was just going to be a generic space combat sci-fi because it was just a description of a few fighter pilots training and I hadn't read anything about it when I started but then it hits its stride and is one of the best looks of future human society Ive ever read, and Im only 2/3 of the way through the first of the four books in the series. Best sci-fi Ive read in ages, excellent views of the politics, technology and history in a cold war between Earth and the rest of the Solar System in the aftermath of a major war.
    No idea which was written first, but doesn't that sound like 2312?

• Advertisement

Similarities I suppose but it didnt even cross my mind when I was reading it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Half a King by Joe Abercrombie. I'm about 90 pages and I like it, a lot, and it's much more enjoyably than Red Country. He really seems to be benefiting from going away from the First Law world.

Finished and didnt like it. I didnt connect with any of the characters and the toned down violence, language etc made it seem quite run of the mill. Have been a massive fan of everything else he has done including Red Country so very disappointed.

Sad to hear that, did it end on a cliffhanger until the next book?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Sad to hear that, did it end on a cliffhanger until the next book?

Resolves itself but leaves itself open to be continued if that makes any sense. Dont want to spoil!

Thanks, Ill give it a read even though I haven't really enjoyed any of his stuff since the first trilogy.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Currently reading the very short "Slab City" by Anthony Ryan. It's really just a short story that's available for free on his web site. First of a small series of short stories / novellas.
    Thanks, Ill give it a read even though I haven't really enjoyed any of his stuff since the first trilogy.
    FWIW, I very much enjoyed "Half a King". Liked the snappy pacing and the toned down violence, etc didn't bother me as it still had the darker spirit of his other works.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I'm only about half way through but like Ioxy, the toned down violence hasn't bothered me.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭ronoc 1

finished reading summer knight by jim butcher,enjoyed the book.it has a really interesting murder mystery feel to it and i really like how the books are gradually becoming to have an epic feel to them.one thing that slightly bothers me is that there is in all going to be twenty books in the series,i know their short books but twenty seems a bit excessive to me all about one character.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Finished half a king (Abercrombie), I'm a big fan of his earlier books, this one while still being enjoyable still left me a little disappointed. It was a little short, I missed the OTT violence and adult themes of the earlier books, and well I'd have liked another book set in this original world. Also there seemed to be some similarities/parallels with the thorns books which I just finished (though Joe is the better writer).

All in all I enjoyed it though and will definitely read the next - just make it longer, epicer and more adult though Joe!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 32,865 ✭✭✭✭MagicMarker

I'm about 3/4 the way through the first of the Wool trilogy, it's disappointing. Around the half-way mark I was enjoying it, but then
    all the interesting characters are killed off and I'm left with these other characters that I know nothing about and that I care very little for
    . I think I'm just going to give up on it tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Tower Lord over the weekend. While not as good as the first, I still really enjoyed it.
    I've started Blindsight by Peter Watts, not far enough in yet to tell what it will be like, but it's certainly different!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

mcgovern wrote: »
    I finished Tower Lord over the weekend. While not as good as the first, I still really enjoyed it.
    I've started Blindsight by Peter Watts, not far enough in yet to tell what it will be like, but it's certainly different!

There are some free Peter Watts books in the public domain section of Feedbooks - http://m.feedbooks.com/book/974/starfish - if you enjoy Blindsight. Ebooks .

mcgovern wrote: »
    Very good book, crying out for an Event Horizon style screenplay to be filmed...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Finished up the Lies of Loch Lomora and really enjoyed it. Was tempted to get straight into the follow up but instead decided on The Blade Itself.. So far really interesting and enjoyable.. Nice character / plot development... I love when you start a completely new series and find some intersting characters...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading "Assail" by Ian C. Esslemont. It's the sixth in the Malazan Empire series that runs concurrently (roughly) alongside the Malazan Book of the Fallen series. It's focusing on the one continent left unexplored to this point so it's great to see new areas, although I'd have expected to feel a greater sense of danger by now (62% in). Still time yet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Just working my way through Prince of Thorns and I really don't like this book or anyone in it.

So I just finished King of Thorns and I have to say, my opinion of PoT is still the same.

My opinion of KoT is different, I'm actually enjoying the character now. Its pretty much the king-killer story told in reverse and better for it, whereas the character in that series started OK and is getting seedier and more conceited as it goes on.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings", first book in a while that's had me staying up til silly hours for "one more chapter" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Sleepy wrote: »
    Brandon Sanderson's "The Way of Kings", first book in a while that's had me staying up til silly hours for "one more chapter" :)

i read warbreaker of his last year. found it such utter tripe, it's put me off reading any of his other work :mad:

I have the Stormlight Archive saved for my next holiday because of the rave reviews but his bland monotonous writing in Mistborn has put me off aswell, I think Ill read the first one next and save the second one if its good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Sounds like he was the ideal choice to finish off Wheel of Time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Just bought this, good to hear good things about it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 24,235 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

His prose hasn't got any prettier but, so far in this, he's using switching POV's (splitting one across two time periods) and delayed exposition (3 chapters later you'll discover why character x was doing y) which I'm quite enjoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I've been holding off on this series. I thought it was going to be a trilogy and that I'd wait until next year so that I can read them all. Just checked on goodreads and it looks like there'll be 10 in the series at least. I don't think I can wait that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭InReality

wyrn wrote: »
    I've been holding off on this series. I thought it was going to be a trilogy and that I'd wait until next year so that I can read them all. Just checked on goodreads and it looks like there'll be 10 in the series at least. I don't think I can wait that long.

Ah here :)

I think he is excellent overall though , and the first book was great.

I read a fair bit of the Iron Druid series recently , very entertaining and fast paced , now I'm flicking through a few books and try to figure which to read next. Have Brian Weeks new one , but have forgotten so much of the story found it really hard/impossible to get back into new one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

InReality wrote: »
    Ah here :)

I think he is excellent overall though , and the first book was great.

I read a fair bit of the Iron Druid series recently , very entertaining and fast paced , now I'm flicking through a few books and try to figure which to read next. Have Brian Weeks new one , but have forgotten so much of the story found it really hard/impossible to get back into new one.
    I'm doing the same with the Blood Song series (I bought the first one after you were all ranting about it and now I'm worried about the sequel) and I have the first two (soon to be three) Lightbringer books sitting here. I have the patience of a toddler at Christmas when reading a series.

Advertisement