Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip k dick, also got first three books in the maze runner series for around 12 euro altogether on the kindle us store
    ,great value, are they worth reading?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

End of Empires by Toby Frost. A stirring tale of the Great British Space Empire as it battles the evil lemming men that wish to crash the Empire over a cliff. Puns, tea and moral fibre make it a fun read.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Reading Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep? By Philip k dick, also got first three books in the maze runner series for around 12 euro altogether on the kindle us store
    ,great value, are they worth reading?
    Love Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Love Blade Runner too but in my mind both are quite separate.

Really enjoyed the Maze Runner. I wasn't gone on the direction and answers in the subsequent books. I used to mutter about it out loud. They are enjoyable but I really didn't like some of the decisions the author made about certain characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

wyrn wrote: »
    Love Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep. Love Blade Runner too but in my mind both are quite separate.

Really enjoyed the Maze Runner. I wasn't gone on the direction and answers in the subsequent books. I used to mutter about it out loud. They are enjoyable but I really didn't like some of the decisions the author made about certain characters.

As George R R Martin said "Art isn't a democracy, people don't get to vote on how it ends".

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

GerB40 wrote: »
    As George R R Martin said "Art isn't a democracy, people don't get to vote on how it ends".
    The ending I could handle, it was a lot of the decisions made throughout all of book 2 and 3 that made no sense to me. I shouldn't get so emotional involved when I read.

To be honest, the rest of the books (for me) felt different from the first one. There was a lot of "why would you go through all this hardship
    and not bother with the results of testing

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,344 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

wyrn wrote: »

Good to know, I just couldn't resist getting all 3 for 12 euro :-D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finishing the second half of Zoe's Tale after a mate told me the next books pick up again. Glad I did.

Also, very much looking forward to this. Sounds great. Out the 23rd.

514m9BJs4nL._BO2,204,203,200_PIsitb-sticker-v3-big,TopRight,0,-55_SX278_SY278_PIkin4,BottomRight,1,22_AA300_SH20_OU02_.jpg

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,457 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reading The Long War by Stephen Baxter / Terry Pratchett; I don't think the first was everyone's cup of tea, but I liked Pratchett's trademark wit mixed in with what was admittedly a somewhat lazy, dry pace. The sequel has lost some of that charm, with Lobsang more in the background there's less wit and sparkle in the dialogue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Loved that series, the 4th book, The Long Utopia is out in 2015 apparently but there are no other details.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

27% into The Abyss Beyond Dreams, the first book in the Chronicle of the Fallers duology by Peter F. Hamilton. It's set between the Commonwealth Saga and the Void trilogy although should be read after both. Very much enjoying it so far and it continues with the Sci fi and fantasy mix that made the Void series work so well.

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    27% into The Abyss Beyond Dreams, the first book in the Chronicle of the Fallers duology by Peter F. Hamilton. It's set between the Commonwealth Saga and the Void trilogy although should be read after both. Very much enjoying it so far and it continues with the Sci fi and fantasy mix that made the Void series work so well.
    Ah nice one! Never even heard of it and I loved those series. (Not as good as nights dawn ofc :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Reading Hammer's Slammers Vol. 1 by David Drake. Collection of short stories about a mercenary unit. About 3/4 of the wah through and I'm quite enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just finished The Lost Fleet (1-6) after seeing mentioned a couple pages back.

Formulaic, shallow, and incredibly compelling (I read them at a rate of 1.5 books per day). A bit like mindlessly eating popcorn in the cinema - not a whole lot of substance but easier to keep going than stop. If you're looking for popcorn military sf, go for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Just finished Blood Song & Tower Lord - Anthony Ryan

Blood Song was just brillant , I could not put it down, Tower Lord I enjoyed but it didnt grip me as much. Still I reckon there is the potential for a cracking 3rd novel

Trojan wrote: »
    Just finished The Lost Fleet (1-6) after seeing mentioned a couple pages back.

Formulaic, shallow, and incredibly compelling (I read them at a rate of 1.5 books per day). A bit like mindlessly eating popcorn in the cinema - not a whole lot of substance but easier to keep going than stop. If you're looking for popcorn military sf, go for it.
    Started Dauntless this morning, damn you.

Just finished the book I was reading and needed to fill the gap until Greg Bear's latest is released at the end of the week!

Dades wrote: »
    Just finished the book I was reading and needed to fill the gap until Greg Bear's latest is released at the end of the week!
    http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/20706230-war-dogs

I thought he died for some reason, great news, pity its just the first in a trilogy though.

He's very hit and miss aswell, EON and Eternity and a couple of others are some of the best sci-fi Ive ever read then you get ones like that City at the End of time stuff that are basically unreadable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

A bit into Alif The Unseen by G. Willow Wilson. It's quite a departure from what I usually read; modern urban fantasy isn't high on my list. Not that there's much fantasy in it at all yet outside the prelude, but it's getting murkier and murkier. It's a fascinating window into repressive Middle Eastern dictatorships though, and the story (some ropey internet hacking stuff aside) is good and fast paced in a good way.
    Unfortunately my reading habits themselves seem to have changed a bit lately so it's slower going that normal. I blame the football!

I saw Alastair Reynolds "Blue Remembered Earth" in Dealz for €1.50 yesterday for the hardback, no paperbacks. Not his best work (anyone who likes sci-fi/fantasy and hasnt read everything in his Revelation Space universe is missing out) but he doesn't deserve to be in Dealz next to Wayne Rooneys wives autobiography!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Thargor wrote: »
    I saw Alastair Reynolds "Blue Remembered Earth" in Dealz for €1.50 yesterday for the hardback, no paperbacks. Not his best work (anyone who likes sci-fi/fantasy and hasnt read everything in his Revelation Space universe is missing out) but he doesn't deserve to be in Dealz next to Wayne Rooneys wives autobiography!

lol but I dunno - Blue Remembered Earth is a shocking bit of writing from a talented author!

Yeah I don't think I actually finished it now that I think of it, probably why there's surplus in the pound shops...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished Proofing House (third book in the Fencer trilogy); not sure how I feel about it as it left a lot of questions in the air but over all I'd say ok. Started up The Last Four Things (second book in The Left Hand of God series by Paul Hoffman).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Playboy

Nody wrote: »
    Finished Proofing House (third book in the Fencer trilogy); not sure how I feel about it as it left a lot of questions in the air but over all I'd say ok. Started up The Last Four Things (second book in The Left Hand of God series by Paul Hoffman).

Just finishing this now after reading all 3 back to back. Not sure how i feel about the trilogy tbh. Kind of looking forward to it being over as it just never really took off for me. Fantastic characters but the plot never quite got there.

Ive read the Fencer Trilogy and I literally cannot remember a single thing about it...

Thargor wrote: »
    He's very hit and miss aswell, EON and Eternity and a couple of others are some of the best sci-fi Ive ever read then you get ones like that City at the End of time stuff that are basically unreadable.
    This sounds like it might just work. I've been wrong before, though. :P

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭ExcaliburRisen

Recently finished book #9 in the Galaxy Unknown series by Thomas Deprima.
    Like the Lost Fleet series it is military sf space opera.

The books in the series do get increasingly far-fetched but I found them very compelling in a "disengage brain and read" kind of way.

I also want to recommend the Repairman Jack series by F. Paul Wilson. They are thrillers with a Fantasy/Supernatural twist.
    Most of the series can be read independently but the later books in the series link in with his Adversary Cycle series. There's also a number of other related books that encompass his "Secret History of the World".
    There's also a Young Repairman Jack and Early Repairman Jack series that give some background on why Jack became Repairman Jack.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Finished Stealing Light by Gary Gibson and launched straight into the sequel Nova War. I read the entire series when it came out a while back and I'm enjoying it second time around.

Slight quibbles on the pacing but otherwise good solid sci-fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.

I enjoyed the first book and hopefully this one will be more of the same.

After that I think it'll be Tower Lord.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Started and finished "Poor Man's Fight" and "Rich Man's War" by Elliot Kay. Surprisingly good, easy reads. Similar to (but in my opinion not quite as good as) "Old Man's War" and "Starship Troopers".

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

I'm half way through the last book in The Dark Tower series and I must say, it's been a brilliant journey. The pace of the story has been all over the place sometimes but the subjects dealt with in these books are so Stephen King, in other words, fúcking weird.. Would recommend.

• Advertisement

Im loving the Polity series by Neal Asher at the minute, great universe if you're missing Ian Banks, similar story in that AIs run the show with sentient ships and drones acting as free agents aswell, a bit more Hollywood though, none of the philosophical leanings of Banks, the main enemy in the first couple of books are literally evil giant crabs that eat humans, very well done though.

Advertisement