Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

About 80% into The Grim Company by Luke Scul, the first part in the trilogy of the same name. It's very reminiscent of Joe Abercrombie with a stronger element of magic. It's not going to set the world alight but it's enjoyable and moves at a good pace. I'll be picking up the next instalment.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Trojan wrote: »
    Finished "Fool's Assassin" - book 1 of new Farseer trilogy from Robin Hobb.

I read a review where the reviewer suggested you rip the book in half, throw away the first half, and read the second. That's unfair. It's more like the first two-thirds.

I'll give it an extremely generous 3/10 as something happened towards the end, and book 2 might actually be ok.
    Aww, that was on my Christmas pile...

Not bothered though as I found out last night that an excellent bit of sci-fi called Spin by Robert Wilson was actually a trilogy, always wanted to know what happened as it was a great story.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Breaking new ground in the Malazan series for the first time in a long time! About a quarter of the way into Reaper's Gale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Finished Annihation, the first of the Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer.

I'm sure it was very well written, that it was totally crafted and full of the clever and smarts but bloody hell it could of done with a bit of a plot and pace. I went from utterly confused about everything, to mildly curious and then boom...book finished. And not book finised on a great cliff-hanger, just book over.

I'm re-reading The Light Fantastic for the first time in 20 odd years as therapy...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

That might forever turned him off Hobb's Books. :D

Damn, that was really Disappointing, and it started out so well too.

When I read the 1st Book, I thought to myself "Finally, there's another Fantasy Writer that's doing Cavalry other than Modesitt, and it Hobbs to boot!." But Boy was I wrong.

It certainly not Bad. I mean the Introspective of a Fat Protagonist and the Social Stigma and the Ramification it carries, is certainly Unique. But the Settings, oh God the Settings was Wasted. :(

PS: If anyone here has Read a Fantasy that is similar in vein to Modesitt's Corean Chronicles and Scion/Magi of Cyador, pls. let me know.

It promised so much but just failed to deliver. I don't think it was helped by me reading it coming off the back off her first three trilogies, as it really showed the dip in quality.
    A dip which seems to been her current level. Dragons trilogy wasn't that well received and I read an arc of Fool's Assassin and would agree with Trojan below. It's almost at Crossroads of Twlight's pace and plot activity. It's does end with some developments but I ain't gagging to read the second instalment.
    Pity as Hobb was one of my favourite authors.
    Finished "Fool's Assassin" - book 1 of new Farseer trilogy from Robin Hobb.

I read a review where the reviewer suggested you rip the book in half, throw away the first half, and read the second. That's unfair. It's more like the first two-thirds.

I'll give it an extremely generous 3/10 as something happened towards the end, and book 2 might actually be ok.

It more than likely won't.
    Needs to move away from the edlderlings world but maybe she is too aphrensive after Soldier Son getting lambasted.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nody wrote: »
    Started up The Last Four Things (second book in The Left Hand of God series by Paul Hoffman).
    Finished The Last Four Things a few days ago; nothing to shake the world and not really overly impressed but will probably pick up the third down the line to finish the series. Started up on Devices and Desires (Engineer Trilogy) by K. J. Parker and about 60 pages in so far. Still getting to grips with the new universe and people but liking what I've read so far.

That might forever turned him off Hobb's Books. :D

Damn, that was really Disappointing, and it started out so well too.

When I read the 1st Book, I thought to myself "Finally, there's another Fantasy Writer that's doing Cavalry other than Modesitt, and it Hobbs to boot!." But Boy was I wrong.

It certainly not Bad. I mean the Introspective of a Fat Protagonist and the Social Stigma and the Ramification it carries, is certainly Unique. But the Settings, oh God the Settings was Wasted. :(

PS: If anyone here has Read a Fantasy that is similar in vein to Modesitt's Corean Chronicles and Scion/Magi of Cyador, pls. let me know.
    What are these cavalry books out of interest please?

Thargor wrote: »

Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭adocholiday

20% through Toll The Hounds - Book 8 of the 10 Malazan series. Finding it a tough slog, hardest one to keep reading since the first one. I've been reading this series since last February and I think I'm slowly going insane. Great series but incredibly hard to keep up with all of the characters, locations, timelines, events...

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Soldier Son Trilogy by Robin Hobb.
    Oh sorry yeah I read those and fairly enjoyed them, any scene involving
    food
    was usually pretty entertaining.

I meant the Modessit cavalry books?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

20% through Toll The Hounds - Book 8 of the 10 Malazan series. Finding it a tough slog, hardest one to keep reading since the first one. I've been reading this series since last February and I think I'm slowly going insane. Great series but incredibly hard to keep up with all of the characters, locations, timelines, events...

Use this:

http://www.tor.com/features/series/malazan-reread-of-the-fallen

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

The Corean Chronicles and Magi of Cyador/Scion of Cyador, by LE Modesitt.

Give it a go, you'll probably enjoy them. There's certainly not enough Cavalry Fantasy out there.

I have to say, those are my Comfort Food Books. Specially the last 2. I've probably Re-read those more than any other Fantasy Books I have.

Sound perfect thanks.

God the Polity series by Neal Asher is so good, must-read for any sci-fi fans imo, I do love everything to do with AIs though.

God the Polity series by Neal Asher is so good, must-read for any sci-fi fans imo, I do love everything to do with AIs though.

Agreed! Banks & Asher do it so well :)

36% into Neptune's Brood by Charles Stross. Enjoying it but not quite as much as some of his other works. Can't quite put my finger on it either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

I am reading Gardens of the Moon (nearly finished), Its probably the only major fantasy series I have not read. I tried it a couple of times and could not get into it. I read a post on here where someone said to stick with it and I am so glad I tried again.

I am somewhat of a speed reader, I tend to skim I think and with this book its just not possible. Its taking me way longer to finish it but it is simply fantastic, I am so looking forward to the rest of the series now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭adocholiday

Starokan wrote: »
    I am reading Gardens of the Moon (nearly finished), Its probably the only major fantasy series I have not read. I tried it a couple of times and could not get into it. I read a post on here where someone said to stick with it and I am so glad I tried again.

I am somewhat of a speed reader, I tend to skim I think and with this book its just not possible. Its taking me way longer to finish it but it is simply fantastic, I am so looking forward to the rest of the series now.

Stick with it and avoid all spoilers. I posted a few pages back about it. I'm on book 8. Once you get over the hump of book 1 you're flying

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Reading some older miltary sf, Pournelle's "The Prince".

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Anicillary Justice, it was interesting but not as groundbreaking as I'd heard. I don't think I'll be rushing to read the next in the series.
    For a change I'm trying an English translation of The Last Ringbearer by Kirill Yeskov.

• Advertisement

Reading some older miltary sf, Pournelle's "The Prince".

This is awesome. Very disjointed and lack of character development early on, because it's about 3 novellas, 2 short stories and a novel all glued together.

Despite that, still close to a 9/10 for me, highly recommend.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Finished Greg Bear's "War Dogs" last night. I'd say 3 of 5 stars. Some interesting concepts and tech, but the characters didn't really bring me into the story. In fact the book felt like a very long first chapter to a bigger story.

Glad I finished it but I'll be reading the reviews of the sequel carefully before picking it up.

Started Tim Powers' "Declare" this morning. :)

Very much enjoying "Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan, have already got book 2.

Very much enjoying "Blood Song" by Anthony Ryan, have already got book 2.

I read loads of positive reviews about this, read about half of it and utterly hated it. Despised it in fact :(

You definitely wont like the second book then, I think the third should be a good finish though.

This morning I downloaded the epub for Ultima by Stephen Baxter, the sequel to Proxima, an excellent read about the first attempt at interstellar colonization and a cold war between China and the rest of the world back in the solar system, been waiting ages for it, all his stuff is worth a read, and don't worry Ill buy the paperback when its released...

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Finished Alif The Unseen by G Willow Wilson. The contemporary Arab totalitarian state setting was very original (to me anyway), but I though it went off the rails somewhat
    in the Empty Quarter, which raised far more questions then it answered. Also, where The Hand managed to get all those demon allies was never really explained very well. It was a good read though, a nice mix of urban fantasy and political commentary. I even think I learned quite a bit about Arab/Muslim culture.
    So, new fantasy novel read, and the rotation schedule means it's time for old SF. I've gone for Riddley Walker by Russell Hoban (1980). The foreword recommendation by Will Self threw me off (I think he's a bit of a sensationalist eejit) but at least I was somewhat warned by what was to come... the entire text appears to be in a long-time post-apocalypse dialect. Only a bit in so don't know what to make of the story yet. This one will require, ugh, concentration! :)
    I see this book has been adapted for the stage several times and Hoban only died in 2011.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

This morning I downloaded the epub for Ultima by Stephen Baxter, the sequel to Proxima, an excellent read about the first attempt at interstellar colonization and a cold war between China and the rest of the world back in the solar system, been waiting ages for it, all his stuff is worth a read, and don't worry Ill buy the paperback when its released...
    I might stick Proxima on my to-read list after reading this. :)

Its very very good but I think all his stuff is spectacular.

21% into "War Master's Gate" by Adrian Tchaikovsky, the ninth book in his "Shadows of the Apt" series. Enjoying it so far - it's nicely melding the mystical (Inapt) and engineering (Apt) story-lines from the rest of the series and feels like it's heading towards big things.

• Advertisement

Don't know if I can do this but
    Does anyone know where I can get the Dresden files second hand? Or does anyone here know anyone that's selling them?

Advertisement