Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

I too have just finished Hamiltons great north road. Enjoyed every bit of it. Although it is a standalone novel I always had the impression that it was part of a series that I hadn't read, even though by the end of the book the main character's history had been gradually revealed.. Loved the avatar revelation. Won't say more about it so as not to spoil the surprise. I didn't see it coming. From good storytelling, plotting etc etc I have started Kim Stanley robinsons sixty days and counting.
    I read a couple of his a good while ago, found them hard going.
    This is too,so maybe to paraphrase Larry Gogan, he isn't for me.
    He does bang on about the environment, doesn't he.
    Plot is a bit over my head ( don't know what it is yet) Very text booky, inter spaced with musings and ramblings, characters all seem stoned, perhaps I'm reading it too soon after Hamilton.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    I too have just finished Hamiltons great north road. Enjoyed every bit of it. Although it is a standalone novel I always had the impression that it was part of a series that I hadn't read, even though by the end of the book the main character's history had been gradually revealed.. Loved the avatar revelation. Won't say more about it so as not to spoil the surprise. I didn't see it coming. From good storytelling, plotting etc etc I have started Kim Stanley robinsons sixty days and counting.
    I read a couple of his a good while ago, found them hard going.
    This is too,so maybe to paraphrase Larry Gogan, he isn't for me.
    He does bang on about the environment, doesn't he.
    Plot is a bit over my head ( don't know what it is yet) Very text booky, inter spaced with musings and ramblings, characters all seem stoned, perhaps I'm reading it too soon after Hamilton.

Gotta say I'm with you on this, I thought GNR was terrific, I especially liked the way he mashed up a future detective story, survival horror and an a mystery woman - just brilliant. KSR on the other had, well, I did read the Mars trilogy a while back, but struggled and certainly didn't enjoy, haven't read anything else since.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

Forgot to say I have also finished the causal angel by Hannu rajaniemi. It was brilliant, didn't understand Half the concepts and theories, just tried to follow the plot! I have already read 1 and 2 A couple of years ago but got very bogged down on the second one and wasn't sure if I'd start the third,but I'm glad I did

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

pH wrote: »
    Gotta say I'm with you on this, I thought GNR was terrific, I especially liked the way he mashed up a future detective story, survival horror and an a mystery woman - just brilliant. KSR on the other had, well, I did read the Mars trilogy a while back, but struggled and certainly didn't enjoy, haven't read anything else since.

I'm really looking forward to Hamilton's new novels coming out in the Commonwealth universe. There are so many avenues for him to pursue, he excels at creating rich, layered settings.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

pH wrote: »
    KSR on the other had, well, I did read the Mars trilogy a while back, but struggled and certainly didn't enjoy, haven't read anything else since.

I got half-way through Red Mars a good few years back and gave up, bored out of my mind.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

44% into "Three Parts Dead" by Max Gladstone, the first book in his Craft sequence. It's urban fantasy that I find interesting because it's set in an interesting, realised world. Seems to have a fair bit of imagination in it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Loving the Owner trilogy by Neal Asher, you just don't know whats coming next, although then sometimes it feels a bit flat and lacking, not sure what thats about, maybe because I just finished reading this book which had some of the best writing in it Ive ever read, non sci-fi but I do recommend it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Corrections

Cant believe anyone was bored by the Mars trilogy either, one of my all time favs.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

ixoy wrote: »
    44% into "Three Parts Dead" by Max Gladstone, the first book in his Craft sequence. It's urban fantasy that I find interesting because it's set in an interesting, realised world. Seems to have a fair bit of imagination in it so far.

That's been on my must read list since reading this review:

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/27/416517818/the-craft-sequence-please-do-judge-these-books-by-their-covers

Good to see a second opinion confirming the quality!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Finished 'Six-Gun Tarot' by R.S. Belcher. Really good book. Cowboys and zombies, what's not to like:)

Currently reading 'Hawkwood and the Kings' by Paul Kearney. Starts off slowly but I'm liking it so far. Set in a more modern world than the usual medieval fantasy stuff with some firearms around, there seems to be two story lines. One is a voyage to a reputed land across the ocean, the other a defensive battle against muslim-like invasion into christian-like territory. Looking forward to seeing how this develops.
    Just finished 'Hawkwood' today, enjoyed it. Not a fan of magic at the best of times but the magic in this was awful. Thankfully it was short lived.

The world created was well done and the characters believable and rounded.

Just downloaded 'Century of the Soldier', the sequel. Both for less than 6 euro also:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Jayd0g wrote: »

http://www.npr.org/2015/06/27/416517818/the-craft-sequence-please-do-judge-these-books-by-their-covers

Followed that link "I was struck — nay, stunned — by it: Two women of color, fully clothed, meet your gaze while looking devastatingly competent."

Seriously - he's stunned by this?

Having said that I'm in the market for something new and might give it a shot :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just finished 'Hawkwood' today, enjoyed it. Not a fan of magic at the best of times but the magic in this was awful. Thankfully it was short lived.

The world created was well done and the characters believable and rounded.

Just downloaded 'Century of the Soldier', the sequel. Both for less than 6 euro also:)

I got the omnibus of that before in paperback after reading about it online, it seemed to have a decent reputation.
    Just couldn't get into it at all, I think I got two thirds of the way through the first.
    If I can find it, I can send it into you and save you the cost of getting the next one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I got the omnibus of that before in paperback after reading about it online, it seemed to have a decent reputation.
    Just couldn't get into it at all, I think I got two thirds of the way through the first.
    If I can find it, I can send it into you and save you the cost of getting the next one.
    Thanks but already half way through the download:(. It's just passing the odd boring 5 minutes or so on my phone while waiting for something to happen.

I really like the world the story is set in and might download a few samples of other books of his.

Followed that link "I was struck — nay, stunned — by it: Two women of color, fully clothed, meet your gaze while looking devastatingly competent."

Seriously - he's stunned by this?

Having said that I'm in the market for something new and might give it a shot :)

I took his meaning as being that he found it refreshing that the cover didn't use any of the more common fantasy elements.

Let us know how you get on with it. I'm working through Deadhouse Gates, the second of the Malazan Book of the Fallen books at the moment and will probably need a change afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thanks but already half way through the download:(. It's just passing the odd boring 5 minutes or so on my phone while waiting for something to happen.

I really like the world the story is set in and might download a few samples of other books of his.

Wertzone has a good few reviews of his other books, worth checking out.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Finished the first two books in King's The Dark Tower.
    Am really not all that bothered in continuing - should I anyone?

Need a really good series at the moment and had heard good things but really the first two just left me with the stale taste of a bad airport book in my both, no substance and loads of padding.

Don't think a lot of people will agree with that assessment of Dark Tower tbh...

Taltos wrote: »
    Finished the first two books in King's The Dark Tower.
    Am really not all that bothered in continuing - should I anyone?

Need a really good series at the moment and had heard good things but really the first two just left me with the stale taste of a bad airport book in my both, no substance and loads of padding.
    Thargor wrote: »
    Don't think a lot of people will agree with that assessment of Dark Tower tbh...

Worth the investment, but strange in places. I enjoyed the character development and hard choices they face but found it to be a really weird series towards the end.

You can see the stop / start creation process in the changes in tone and style throughout the series. Some books were left on hold for years while he worked on other projects, with major life events influencing books mid-draft.

The book written around the time of King's car crash is a good example of this, think it's the 3rd or 2nd last book in series. Goes off on a weird tangent involving alcoholism.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

The Dark Tower series had me hooked after The Gunslinger, but kind of dragged towards the end.
    And the ending pissed me right off

I recently finished Mark Lawrence's "Broken Empire" series. Enjoyable read, strong ending.

Think I might go back for a Kingkiller re-read. I mean the third book will come out eventually. Right?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Am I the only one who can't wait for the release of The Unholy Consult? I think this series of books is one of my favourites of all time. I don't identify with the superman, more with Drusas Achamian, he's a great character.

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

Am I the only one who can't wait for the release of The Unholy Consult? I think this series of books is one of my favourites of all time. I don't identify with the superman, more with Drusas Achamian, he's a great character.

Looking forward to it too. The Darkness's mix of Christian mythogy with genetic engineering, magic and epic battles hooked me from the start.

You can't really identify with Kellhus but how good would you be at poker if you were able to read people like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

Finished Hyperion, loved it. Now onto Fall of Hyperion (Dan Simmons).

• Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

ElWalrus wrote: »
    Finished Hyperion, loved it. Now onto Fall of Hyperion (Dan Simmons).

The personal stories in that are excellent imo, there is one that I found to be a real heart punch when I read it, coming from the perspective of a father.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Jayd0g wrote: »

Following mentions on this thread I got this last week. Have to say I'm enjoying it (80% through it). Some of the plot / worldbuilding is leaving me a wee bit confuddled, but it's rattling along.

Must admit I pass on a lot of fantasy because of horrific covers like that aswell, basically anything that uses actors puts me right off for some reason.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Must admit I pass on a lot of fantasy because of horrific covers like that aswell, basically anything that uses actors puts me right off for some reason.

I find it's typically only the american releases that have the extravagant/trashy covers where as the ones we get here are a lot more subtle. Robin Hobb's books have some of the worst covers I've ever seen in the states.

Oh yeah they're obscene and I owned a couple of them, I ordered them secondhand for a Euro each when I was in college and first trying out Amazon Marketplace and I got a couple of them mixed in with the British covers:

ShipofMagic-US.jpg

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

They are kind of endearing in a way though :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ShipofMagic-US.jpg

Fabulous. A real pity our version didn't come with those early warning systems, like the stripes on a wasp.

Trojan wrote: »
    Fabulous. A real pity our version didn't come with those early warning systems, like the stripes on a wasp.

It's actually a great book imo :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'Three Parts Dead' is well worth a read, dodgy cover or not. An interesting world with a good finale that still has scope for further stories.

As to dodgy covers, my favourite is this one for 'The Bonehunters' , one of Erikson's Malazan books:

Bonehunters+SFBC.jpg

It makes the Trygalle Trade Guild look like a group of Santa's elves having a comical accident delivering their presents.

Advertisement