Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thargor wrote: »
    Queen of Fire picked up a bit once the main plot got going so thats a relief, took about 300 pages of a 700 page book though, and its still just fairly generic fantasy as it is, struggling to understand why the internet seemed to go mad over the first book now.

It was a self published book, that was a good read and of a high quality compared to a lot of other self published stuff.
    So it kinda became a trendy, with people recommending it as a book they found.
    'I read it before it was published by a major company.'

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Blood Song was a great book though. The first person narrative was used very well. It all fell apart for me with the introduction of more viewpoints. No inclination to read the third book myself after slogging through Tower Lord.

Dune, I'm liking it! It's not overly science fictiony so that's definitely a bonus, I tend to get glassy eyed when lots of pseudo-science sounding things are thrown at me. It's what always put me off reading any Sci-Fi.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

"What Remains of Heroes". Old school fantasy but the author writes well and at times very like a Gemmel book.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

This was the last fantasy book I read.Lots of mad over the top Dark fantasy that should'nt work or make sense , but does.
    Hope there's a part 3 on the way.
    R. S. Belcher's debut novel, The Six-Gun Tarot, was enthusiastically greeted by critics and readers, who praised its wildly inventive mixture of dark fantasy, steampunk, and the Wild West. Now Belcher returns to Golgotha, Nevada, a bustling frontier town that hides more than its fair share of unnatural secrets.
    1870. A haven for the blessed and the damned, including a fallen angel, a mad scientist, a pirate queen, and a deputy who is kin to coyotes, Golgotha has come through many nightmarish trials, but now an army of thirty-two outlaws, lunatics, serial killers, and cannibals are converging on the town, drawn by a grisly relic that dates back to the Donner Party...and the dawn of humanity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

in fairness i only ever tried the Covenant chronicles which i gave up every time i tried after about 100 pages.

might give the gap series a go :).

Finished the Gap volume 1. I can't say i didn't enjoy it, but i really don't think i'll be jumping into volume 2 any time soon.

Also finished volumes 2 and 3 of the gentleman bastards series.

@Keane: I actually didn't mind volume 2 but volume 3 was god awful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished The Three Body Problem, probably not as good as all the hype around it, but was interesting reading none the less.
    About to start Stonewielder by Ian C. Esselmont, been awhile since I've ready any of the Malazan books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Reading Silverthorn by Raymond E Feist, gotta say really enjoying the series :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Manach wrote: »
    "What Remains of Heroes". Old school fantasy but the author writes well and at times very like a Gemmel book.

Giving this a go based on this recommendation :) About 60% through, enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Got sucked back into reading Warhammer novels again, why do I always forget how badly written they are?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Got sucked back into reading Warhammer novels again, why do I always forget how badly written they are?
    I'm sort of itching to read another Dungeons and Dragons book next myself... there must be something hypnotic in the bad writing that periodically erases your memory of how bad they are...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Dan_Solo wrote: »
    I'm sort of itching to read another Dungeons and Dragons book next myself... there must be something hypnotic in the bad writing that periodically erases your memory of how bad they are...
    Well, watch one of the films of the series and then the books can be read as high literature :)

Reading the Jon Shannow novels by David Gemmell and really enjoying them. Not read them since I was a kid and finding that they stand up so much better than most other fantasy novels that I have revisited. I also love the fact that Gemmell created the character of Josiah Broome as kind of two fingers to a critic called Broome who slated the first novel and then sent Gemmell a rather vile letter about how much he hated Wolf in Shadow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

I'm busy reading The Forever Hero by L.E. Modesitt.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You don't read them for their amazing story but because the world is simply interesting :)

Was in Dubrays today and saw Stephen Baxter had released a new Xeelee novel, I fooking love this series:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Xeelee-Endurance-Stephen-Baxter/dp/1473212715

Then when I was looking for that link I see another novel in the sequence Id never hear of either, Starfall:

https://www.goodreads.com/series/49784-xeelee-sequence

Happy days, was just about to ask for recommendations but Im ordering these straight away.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Rather eerily I was at exactly the spot in Lord Foul's Bane at 1:00AM night where they are witnessing the power of Drool turn the full moon red...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

46% into "Malice" the first book in John Gwynne's "The Faithful and the Fallen" series. Really enjoying it so far - can't quite put my finger on the reason. There's nothing highly original but it's pretty well written and I like the characters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

ixoy wrote: »
    46% into "Malice" the first book in John Gwynne's "The Faithful and the Fallen" series. Really enjoying it so far - can't quite put my finger on the reason. There's nothing highly original but it's pretty well written and I like the characters.

Just finished the 2nd one.Good read for the exact same reasons ixoy.

Nearly finished seveneves by neal asher. A surprisingly good book considering I dont rate the author very highly.

Nearly finished seveneves by neal asher. A surprisingly good book considering I dont rate the author very highly.
    It was written by Neal Stephenson so are you sure you have the right author in mind? :D

I was looking for a cheap one on amazon when I remembered I ordered it a few weeks ago and it never came...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

It was written by Neal Stephenson so are you sure you have the right author in mind? :D

I was looking for a cheap one on amazon when I remembered I ordered it a few weeks ago and it never came...

Im a fecking idiot :):o

no wonder I was surprised lol.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Oh lord... Fitz & The Fool 2.....Robin Hobb has me bawling my eyes out here..... Not long in...

Those kinds of posts should be in spoilers so people who haven't read it yet can avoid it, I dont want to know something is coming at a certain point in a book I am looking forward to because now Ill be expecting it :mad:

I was specifically being vague... There's No WAY you could guess what I'm talking about unless you've already read the book!!

Really if someone says they were in tears reading a book you consider that a spoiler... Could be tears of happiness, sadness, anger, frustration... ???

Can you explain in what way you feel spoiled because I would hate to do that to anyone...

No you've edited your post so now you're deliberately being vague, your original post told us at exactly what point in the book something was going to happen, you even came back with a second post which you've now deleted to narrow it down even more, Ill know something is coming at that point when Im reading it and be expecting it now anyway, spoilers take 2 clicks if you want to go into any detail.

Ok I've gone back and edited the part that said the chapter I thought I was on... Hope it hasn't spoiled it too much

Yes I just stated that I had gone back to edit out the chapter I was on, it's not exactly a secret edit.. And yes I was deliberately being vague... said that too!!

Honestly I wouldn't consider that detail but sorry anyway.. Plus no spoiler option on tablet/phone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Those kinds of posts should be in spoilers so people who haven't read it yet can avoid it, I dont want to know something is coming at a certain point in a book I am looking forward to because now Ill be expecting it :mad:
    I started that book but, whether I was overdosing on Hobb or something, I threw it away in disgust. Tom Badgerlock is such a wuss!

'I am not going to do A, B or C again because I am a mature adult and those things will keep me away from my family and are things I do not feel comfortable doing.'

'TOM, TOM, YOU MUST DO THIS FOR US, YOUR ROYAL FAMILY'

'The only solution to this problem is to do A, B AND C to save all I care about. Ok then....'

Rinse and repeat!

Bah humbug!

On a cheerier note, I've read 'The Tattered Banner' by Duncan M. Hamilton and the sequels. Enjoyable read, pretty standard poor-boy-done-well story but you get a feeling of rooting for the hero when things aren't going well for him.

Just started 'The Ten Thousand' by Paul Kearney mainly because I enjoyed 'Hawkwood and the Kings'. Ok so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Just finished Girl with all the gifts. Great fun but a rather abrupt ending,

Now reading Don Quixote

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Finally got around to starting Hyperion the other day. Most enjoyable in the early stages. I believe it's well regarded?

Read Slaughterhouse 5 before that, just superb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

keane2097 wrote: »
    Finally got around to starting Hyperion the other day. Most enjoyable in the early stages. I believe it's well regarded?

Read Slaughterhouse 5 before that, just superb.

One of my all time favorite series, and it's a great one to reread time and time again :D

Advertisement