Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Trojan wrote: »
    I got a 3 for 2 at Waterstones this evening:
    1. The Awakened Mage - Karen Miller (book 2, we'll see how this goes. 1st was *ok* This is book 3, d'oh. First 2 ran together for me.)
    2. Surface Detail - Iain M. Banks (really looking forward to this :D)
    3. The Evolutionary Void - Peter F. Hamilton (even more excited about this one but might go re-read the first 2 Void series first).

I'll read them in that in order to save the best for last

I haven't read Surface Detail yet, but here's my thoughts on the other 2.

I'd give The Awakened Mage a 5/10, just about, and a 4/10 for the series as a whole. It just didn't do it for me, I didn't really get into it and I don't think I'll be reading Karen Miller stuff again unless it gets awesome reviews. Zapp summed it up for me when talking about Trudi Canavan's Apprentice series - this applies perfect to Miller for me:
    Finished The Magicians Apprentice last night. Fairly throwaway book, no real character development and you never get a sense of why characters are actually doing anything. Doubt I'll carry on with Canavan.

I felt the same way about Canavan as well, another one I won't be bothering with again. Hmmmm, I think my fantasy preferences are sexist...

On to Hamilton and the final Void book, The Evolutionary Void. I was really looking forward to this one because Hamilton is pretty awesome, and book 2 really got me interested after an ok book 1 (I'd give The Dreaming Void 7/10 and The Temporal Void 8.5/10).

AnCapaillMor said this above:
    Actually it was one of the few book series that i'd no problem remembering the characters where they were\were doing in the previous books. normally i would re-read. Still undecided on the books, liked it but plot\end was'nt as straight forward as judas unchained, felt more like the nights dawn trilogy.

I wholeheartedly agree with that summation, and
    while both story lines (Edeard and the Commonwealth) ran well separately, the combination at the end just didn't do it for me. The loose ends did tie off nicely, but I think the conclusion felt rushed, and the half hearted "twist" of who The Lady was was fairly uninteresting for me.

I'll give The Evolutionary Void a 6/10 and the whole Void series a 6.5/10 (in comparison for Prime War series maybe an 8.5 or a 9).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I wouldn't say I'm sexist, I did enjoy Hobb's books that I read. Hobbs is a chick right?

Good for her, using long words and writing stories :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Okay I'm starting a mammoth reread of WoT, have not read them in years. Started 'Eye of The World' today, felt like throwing on an old comfortable hoody!

Find myself wanting to do that too, but the thoughts of books 5-7 again terrify me. I actually gave up after the seventh and haven't read anything past that.

I wouldn't say I'm sexist, I did enjoy Hobb's books that I read. Hobbs is a chick right?

Good for her, using long words and writing stories :D

I loved Farseer, liked Liveship/Fool series, and hated Soldier Son more than anything I've read in years. There's a curve, and it's the wrong way - no more Hobbs for me.

Find myself wanting to do that too, but the thoughts of books 5-7 again terrify me. I actually gave up after the seventh and haven't read anything past that.

I'm dreading Book 10 tbh. Just finished book 1 so am on to The Great Hunt.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Just started The Evolutionary Void,on the kindle and at the time,bought Surface Detail - Iain M. Banks as well,really looking forward to them,as I have read some rubbish lately,shouldn't complain really, as I did get them for nothing.

Bought Towers of Midnight, think I'll read summaries of 7-11 and just reread TGS. Reread everything last year so should be fresh enough :)

Do fans of other genres re-read as much as we do in SF/F (well, mainly F)? Some people have said to me that they find the re-reading a bit strange. Maybe we just read more books in general?

Trojan wrote: »
    Bought Towers of Midnight, think I'll read summaries of 7-11 and just reread TGS. Reread everything last year so should be fresh enough :)

Do fans of other genres re-read as much as we do in SF/F (well, mainly F)? Some people have said to me that they find the re-reading a bit strange. Maybe we just read more books in general?

I re-read mine so much the covers fell off :eek:
    I think I could nearly write the story from memory!
    I am buying ToM tomorrow and seriously cannot wait!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Currently reading the name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss and loving every page

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,320 ✭✭✭Teferi

The King's Bastard by Rowena Cory Daniells.

Truly terrible. Can't decide whether to give up on it or force myself through it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Just started the Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin, the first time I've read any of her novels, and following on from the feeling on the last page, I'm not usually a fan of female authors so hoping she can change my mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Teferi wrote: »
    The King's Bastard by Rowena Cory Daniells.

Truly terrible. Can't decide whether to give up on it or force myself through it.

When that happens me,I have to keep reading "just in case it improves",they
    never do and leaves me disappointed,on the upside,after that it can turn an ok read into a good book,as the old mind keeps thinking of how bad the last book was....if that makes any sense:confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 630 ✭✭✭jimmyendless

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Reading Dragon Bone Chair by Tad Williams. Got my missus to chose between that and Raymond Feist's Magician. Hope it was a good choice.
    Only read the first Mistborn book, thought it was okay. Liked Way of Kings thought.

Can't go wrong with Magician anyway, fantastic book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Currently reading "Anathem" by Neal Stephenson. It's far better than the Baroque trilogy series and I'm really enjoying it so far. So many more books to read still and authors keep publishing more.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

Finished Babel-17 a while back and I'm currently reading The Mad Ship by Hobb. I'm not as into the world or characters as I was with the Farseer trilogy but I'm still liking it enough to want to finish.

Im on to The Dragon Reborn now in my WoT re-read. Trying to knock one book out a week.

Just finished Towers of Midnight. It's a nice hybrid of stuff happening and plot momentum, combined with some wonderfully descriptive scene building - Sanderson is really getting into Jordan's style. I'll give it an 8/10, (not that it matters, WOT fans will read it regardless :))

mcgovern wrote: »
    Just started the Left Hand of Darkness by Ursula LeGuin, the first time I've read any of her novels, and following on from the feeling on the last page, I'm not usually a fan of female authors so hoping she can change my mind :)

Well she didn't change my mind, no science in it, not my cup of tea at all really though the world was well realised.
    Making a change in my usual reading habbits and going for The Wasp Factory by Ian Bainks.

Now I'm on 'The Shadow Rising'. Still enjoying them.

• Advertisement

Currently reading "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge. It's pretty good so far but I prefer Charles Stross (who is strongly influenced by Vinge and his singularity).
    Now I'm on 'The Shadow Rising'. Still enjoying them.
    How can you read so quickly?! It would take me 3 weeks to get through a book like that.

ixoy wrote: »
    Currently reading "Rainbows End" by Vernor Vinge. It's pretty good so far but I prefer Charles Stross (who is strongly influenced by Vinge and his singularity).

How can you read so quickly?! It would take me 3 weeks to get through a book like that.

Really, I love Vinge's earlier stuff (not so much Rainbow's End though) and bit of a nut when it comes to the Singularity (also a big fan of Raymond Kurzweil), maybe that's why Amazon keeps recommending Stross to me, I'll have to try him out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,056 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just started reading book two of The Void series by Peter F. Hamilton.

As always he sets up his world in great detail and there is good characterisation, but did not enjoy the first book as much as Pandora's Star or Judas Unchained.

Hopefully this book will be better and lead nicely into a great third book.

I'm basically reading every free moment I have. I'm on a deadline as I'm moving country in January so i have to have it all read before then!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm on a deadline as I'm moving country in January so i have to have it all read before then!
    Are you moving to North Korea, or what?! :pac:

Try being cursed with speedreading!
    I think ToM took me 7-8 hours :(

I am not reading anything at the mo so I think I will scour this thread for good suggestions...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just finished Wild Cards volume one by Geogre Martin among others. Some great bits in it especially 'The Sleeper' and the Yeoman guy, pity that kinda ended on a cliffhanger. A good twist on the whole superhero thing with the whole powers going ares ways. Oh yeah and Kid Dinosaur!

Just got Jack Vance's 'Tales of a Dying Earth'. Haven't started yet.

About a fifth of the way through 'Dragonbone Chair' by Tad Williams. I reckon it will be good but its a bit slow to get going.

Rereading Towers of Midnight and bit reading Hawkwing and the Kings by some Irish writer called Paul Kearney I think. I'm liking that quite a bit.

Dades wrote: »
    Are you moving to North Korea, or what?! :pac:

Canada, but I don't want to be dragging books with me as well!

Making a change in my usual reading habbits and going for The Wasp Factory by Ian Bainks.

Very good read, though no where near as stomach churning/grotesque etc as I was expecting.
    Started American Gods by Neil Gaiman, have read one or two of his short stories before, but none of his novels.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,571 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

American Gods is quite good. Should try Anansii Boys next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

So seeing all the stuff here on it, i've started on the first Wheel of time book.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

My copy of Stonewielder (Ian Cameron Esselmont) arrived today. Good timing - I can start reading it tonight.

bonkey wrote: »
    My copy of Stonewielder (Ian Cameron Esselmont) arrived today. Good timing - I can start reading it tonight.

Didn't know that had come out. Let us know how it is!

First Ed copy...I ordered it way back, and was pleasantly surprised to find it in the post yesterday.

Not sure when the "regular" edition will be released.

Will certainly post some impressions once I've managed to get more then a few pages read....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

First Ed copy...I ordered it way back, and was pleasantly surprised to find it in the post yesterday.

Not sure when the "regular" edition will be released.

Will certainly post some impressions once I've managed to get more then a few pages read....

I'm about 150 pages in. The fluidity and tone of his writing has come along in leaps and bounds since night of knives. Definitely see this one being my favorite of his three so far.

Currently reading "Blaze" by "Richard Bachman" (aka Stephen King). It's fairly standard King - very readable, good characterisation, if not all that original or insightful.

"Stoneweilder" is on my Amazon wish list now for Christmas :)

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I'm about 150 pages in. The fluidity and tone of his writing has come along in leaps and bounds since night of knives. Definitely see this one being my favorite of his three so far.

Im about at the same spot, and thinking the same...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Surface Detail (Iain M. Banks) on my new Kindle - liking the book and loving the Kindle!

• Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Currently reading Inverted World By Christopher Priest. Intriguing plot so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 411 ✭✭NotInventedHere

Just saw the TV film of the Lathe of Heaven which was very good, must read the book now. I have read the dispossessed which is excellent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,992 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

Just saw the TV film of the Lathe of Heaven which was very good, must read the book now. I have read the dispossessed which is excellent.

AFAICR its a pretty good book. I read somewhere that the Lathe of Heaven was an homage by Ursula L. to her then favourite SF author - Philip K. Dick.

Almost finished "The Family Trade" by Charles Stross, the first book in his Merchant Princes series about parallel worlds. Enjoying it so far - it's got some very interesting ideas. Looking forward to reading more in the series.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Reading my free copy of Accelerando (Charles Stross) - as with other books of his I love his ideas, but I'm not sure at all about his plots or characters - haven't really enjoyed anything of his as much as Singularity Sky.
    http://manybooks.net/titles/strosscother05accelerando-txt.html

Currently reading Neil Gaiman's "The Graveyard Book". Nice, light and enjoyable so far.
    pH wrote: »
    Reading my free copy of Accelerando (Charles Stross) - as with other books of his I love his ideas, but I'm not sure at all about his plots or characters - haven't really enjoyed anything of his as much as Singularity Sky.
    I liked "Accelerando" but there isn't really a storyline threading through it. It's probably because it was originally a series and compiled together for the book form.
    If you haven't read it, try "Glasshouse". It's set (loosely) in the future of "Accelerando" but has a much more cohesive plot. I really enjoyed it.

On to 'Lord of Chaos' fell a bit behind of my 1 book a week challenge. Damn social events getting in the way of valuable reading time.

• Advertisement

And now I'm reading "Stoneweilder" too. Enjoying it so far. Esselmont's writing style is brisker, if less witty, than Erikson's. The Malazan world really is so very rich - full of many potential stories yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭pljudge321

I've decided I'm going to read all of the "classic" sci-fi and fantasy books I've never gotten around to. Currently reading Dune, would appreciate some suggestions for the next one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,512 ✭✭✭BigDuffman

Starting back over the WOT series before I buy the new book. Its a lot to get through though so I may just read through every second one and read the summaries online for the rest.

Also have Nemesis in the Horus Herresy series lined up and ready to read!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

pljudge321 wrote: »
    I've decided I'm going to read all of the "classic" sci-fi and fantasy books I've never gotten around to. Currently reading Dune, would appreciate some suggestions for the next one.
    I could give you a list of 50... but instead I suggest you read Arthur C. Clarke's Childhood's End.

BigDuffman wrote: »
    Starting back over the WOT series before I buy the new book. Its a lot to get through though so I may just read through every second one and read the summaries online for the rest.

Also have Nemesis in the Horus Herresy series lined up and ready to read!

Bah, quitter!

• Advertisement
Advertisement