Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AzN

I started A Song of Ice and Fire, some dude spoiled the ending of the last book released in youtube comments and as I only watch the tv series I might as well read all the books before the next one is released. Damn spoilers suck.

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

keane2097 wrote: »
    Finally got around to starting Hyperion the other day. Most enjoyable in the early stages. I believe it's well regarded?

It's epic. Loved the sequel (Fall of Hyperion) too.

Went straight into reading 'Endymion' after the first two, and currently working my way through 'Rise of Endymion'.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

Wheel of Time book 11- Knife of Dreams.

I have never been so slow to read a book or series ever- the pace is not a great motivator. It's very conflicting because I love the books- characters, story, everything. It's a bit of a struggle though and I'll be relieved to finish it but, devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I have never been so slow to read a book or series ever- the pace is not a great motivator. It's very conflicting because I love the books- characters, story, everything. It's a bit of a struggle though and I'll be relieved to finish it but, devastated.

You're at the absolute bottom of the curve, everything gets better from here on.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Finally got around to starting Hyperion the other day. Most enjoyable in the early stages. I believe it's well regarded?

This is most excellent so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

This is most excellent so far.

The whole series is excellent, one of the best I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Just finished Book 1 of the Moontide Quartet - Mages Blood by David Hair

I think this is out over three years but I never saw it until recently, was a bit slow to start with but it really took hold of me as the chapters progressed. Looking forward to the second book, would recommend

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

AAgggghhhhh. I just finished the Malazan book of the fallen series. Read all the books in the WoT series (bar the last) when I was younger. I have the whole thing on my kindle but just don't want to start back into that monolith just yet!

Not used to reading smaller book. Read world war Z and starship tropers the weekend. I recommend WWZ (book != film AND book > Film), star ship troopers less so (Book delves into the ideals of the federation ALOT, story takes a back seat at times, kinda feel like it was trying to subliminally sway me into communism or something...). Read day by day Armageddon by JL Bourne last night. Good read. Gonna plow into the next one tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

finishing off book 1 of zones of thought by Vernor Vinge. Won't be rushing to read book 2 if i'm honest

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

fizzypish wrote: »
    I recommend WWZ (book != film AND book > Film)

The Audio book is superb, best I've listened to.

• Advertisement

Yawlboy wrote: »
    The Audio book is superb, best I've listened to.

I've listened to probably hundreds of audiobooks and World War Z stands alone as greatest by an enormous distance. It's the best possible way to experience that particular piece of literature IMO, and I wouldn't say that about many other books.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

I've listened to probably hundreds of audiobooks and World War Z stands alone as greatest by an enormous distance. It's the best possible way to experience that particular piece of literature IMO, and I wouldn't say that about many other books.

The voice cast for the audio book is outstanding. "Experience" really is the best word to describe listening to it.

Think I might load it up again for commuting, it's been a few years since I first listened to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Finished Fitz & The Fool 2 & as usual it just left me hungry for more but I love Robin Hobb...

Not sure where to go now... The new Branson Sanderson is out... But in the meantime I think I'll try The Handmaiden's Tale...

Was looking at The Vampire Earth books & also The Demon Wars... Anyone tried these?

Must keep a look out for Hyperion.. Seems to be high on every everyone's lists! 

Downloaded Hyperion onto my Kindle last night after finishing the 4th book in the Fleet of Worlds series. Needed a change after the 4 of them back to back.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

What did you think of Fleet? I love that universe, pity Larry Niven is really getting old now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

46% into "Moon Under Soho" by Ben Aarvonitch, the second in his PC Grant series. I picked up books 3-5 recently very cheaply so figured I should read this. It's entertaining and has a very British feel to it - no concessions made or pandered to an American market.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

ixoy wrote: »
    46% into "Moon Under Soho" by Ben Aarvonitch, the second in his PC Grant series. I picked up books 3-5 recently very cheaply so figured I should read this. It's entertaining and has a very British feel to it - no concessions made or pandered to an American market.

I love that series. The latest sadly is the weakest in the line but I have hopes he'll find his pace again.

Finished the 'The Rise of Endymion' after reading the other three books in a row. Brilliant series, not without its flaws but what a universe. I wonder could it be ever adapted to a big budget movie series.

Kind of wondering what to read next. Downloaded a sample of 'The forever war', only a couple of pages in but get the feeling it could be a belter. :pac:

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

ixoy wrote: »

I only recently finished Rivers of London and really enjoyed it so looking forward to reading the rest. Kind of felt it ended a bit abruptly though. I think those books have BBC adaptation written all over them.
    ElWalrus wrote: »
    Finished the 'The Rise of Endymion' after reading the other three books in a row. Brilliant series, not without its flaws but what a universe. I wonder could it be ever adapted to a big budget movie series.

I think each pilgrim's tale from the first book would make a decent film in its own right, would have to be a very ambitious production, think maybe a TV series would be better than a film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,465 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yes, Ben Aarvonitch's (an ex-writer for Doctor Who don'tcha know) Rivers of London series are a highly entertaining read and, as mentioned, incredibly British & indeed feel like they'd make for good BBC adaptations.

My only quibble during my read of them has been that they're one of those novels where the author comes across just a touch too smart-arsed at times. It's a tricky one as they're all written first-person, but those ... Whedon'esque characters can grate a little; sometimes moments feel like you don't need another glib observation from DC Grant.

Still, very enjoyable books so far

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finally got around to Queen of Fire. I'm about two thirds of the way in and still not quite understanding the kicking it got on it's release. Maybe it set my expectations low but I'm sort of expecting an awful ending at this stage!

Thargor wrote: »
    What did you think of Fleet? I love that universe, pity Larry Niven is really getting old now.

I like it, especially the level of detail about other races. I think its a little light in a lot of areas however I'd definitely prefer it to other stuff I've read, Old Mans War for example.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Windlass Aeronaut by Jim Butcher. About 4 chapters in. Good are steampunk action tropes, Bad are talking cats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Manach wrote: »
    Windlass Aeronaut by Jim Butcher. About 4 chapters in. Good are steampunk action tropes, Bad are talking cats.
    have you read any of the steampunk by stephen hunt?good reads and nicely dark at times

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Just finished 'The Handmaid's Tale'.... Interesting... I think I enjoyed it!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

unreg999 wrote: »
    Just finished 'The Handmaid's Tale'.... Interesting... I think I enjoyed it!

It was a good book, but I don't think I enjoyed it, bleak as 1984!

Finished Hyperion a few days ago, as I said while reading it it's a very good read.

I was a tad disappointed with the end as I was looking forward to what I thought was going to be
    a confrontation with and maybe some revelations about the Shrike

I see Shrap and a couple of others mentioning the follow up books, I guess they are worth a read as well? Do they continue the storyline from the first book directly or does the focus shift?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Finished Hyperion a few days ago, as I said while reading it it's a very good read.

I was a tad disappointed with the end as I was looking forward to what I thought was going to be

I see Shrap and a couple of others mentioning the follow up books, I guess they are worth a read as well? Do they continue the storyline from the first book directly or does the focus shift?

definitely worth reading. book one set the scene, book 2 iirc picks off more or less at the end of book one and now tells the story in the here and now (war, politics, etc).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Reading Nemesis Games to finish off the Expanse, must admit Im not finding it as tedious as the other ones got towards the end, there is something off about the characters though, don't like any of them.

• Advertisement

definitely worth reading. book one set the scene, book 2 iirc picks off more or less at the end of book one and now tells the story in the here and now (war, politics, etc).

Not long after finishing the series myself. Like shrapnel said the second is more or less a direct follow on of the first one,
    albeit a lot of it is from the point of view of a new character, as opposed to each pilgrim telling their tale.

Of the four books in the 'Hyperion Cantos' Books 1 & 2 (Hyperion and Fall of Hyperion) form one complete story, and Books 3 & 4 (Endymion and Rise of Endymion) another, different tale but a lot of elements from the first. All worth reading IMO.

Advertisement