Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

finishing off book 1 of zones of thought by Vernor Vinge. Won't be rushing to read book 2 if i'm honest

I really liked that book - a fire upon the deep right?

Third book in series was poor though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I loved them but agree the third was poor, pointless in fact.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just starting Mark Lawrence's Red Queen trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Fian wrote: »
    I really liked that book - a fire upon the deep right?

Third book in series was poor though.

yeah that's the one. almost finished. I don't dislike it but i won't be carrying on the series. it just hasn't grabbed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Plumped for the second Hyperion book which is also most enjoyable so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm at a loose end for something to read.

Any good new Fantasy recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Brent Weeks Lightbringer series is pretty good.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Good time to read Hobbs Farseer trilogy if you haven't already.

the name of the wind by Patrick Rothfuss is awesome too. (Will be ever get the next book out??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

GRRMs new prequel to GOT?

http://www.amazon.com/Knight-Seven-Kingdoms-George-Martin-ebook/dp/B00KA0W6QG/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1445369513&sr=1-1&keywords=George+RR+martin

Edit: It's a compilation of 3 previous novellas, not a new novel.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

matrim wrote: »
    Brent Weeks Lightbringer series is pretty good.

Night Angel series before that was brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Night Angel series before that was brilliant!

Absolutely loved that series. Am on the last two books in Discworld so may have to revisit that trilogy. Either that or the Black Magician trilogy....hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Thanks for those but I've read them all and not a fan of Brent Weeks. Maybe a reread of Farseer?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Dune? Hyperion?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

have you read ash-a secret history by mary gentle?

it's not new, and it might actually be kind of hard to find... no one I've recommended it to has liked it very much either... but I thought it was brilliant

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Thanks for those but I've read them all and not a fan of Brent Weeks. Maybe a reread of Farseer?

Malazan book of the fallen?

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭fguinan

Its not new but Brandon Sandersons 'The Way of Kings' is awesome!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

11% into "The Mirror Empire", the first book in the Worldbreak Saga by Kameron Hurley. A little lighter in tone than her Bel Dame Apocrypha series, it's interesting so far. Blood and moon-based magic with sentient foliage so far...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Thinking of some series that get less coverage (and are't Brent Weeks - couldn't get past the first book in the Night Angel series):

Mix of early-20th century steam punk tech mixed with magic in a world where one race decides to conquer everyone? Then check out the 10-book Shadows of the Apt series by Adrian Tchaikovsky.

A world with Russian and Arabian influences, rather than European? I enjoyed Bradley P. Beaulieu's The Lays of Anuskaya trilogy.

Hardcore grit with a dash of the modern world? I've enjoyed Matthew Stover's "Acts of Cain" series.

Urban fantasy crime noir with a drug-addict? I've enjoyed and read 2/3 of Daniel Polansky's Low-Town trilogy for that.

A mish of science fiction, "new weird", steam punk and a bunch of other bits? "City of Stairs" by Robert Jackson Bennett.

China Mievielle worth a mention on the off chance you haven't read him

The Dagger and the Coin series - Daniel Abraham? I'm on the fourth book but took a break after the third.
    Or The Demon Cycle series but that has very mixed reviews.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,518 ✭✭✭matrim

Kovu wrote: »
    Or The Demon Cycle series but that has very mixed reviews.

First book was really good but it's going downhill from there. I'm giving him one more book to get back on track before giving up on it

matrim wrote: »
    First book was really good but it's going downhill from there. I'm giving him one more book to get back on track before giving up on it

I was a bit bored with the third book, have yet to read the fourth. It's a very bad habit of mine to leave off for a break at the third book!! Especially when I have to wait for it to be published, if I can start it straight after I finished the previous book I'm grand. The break just makes me lose interest so I've to read the series again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I second Lays of Anuskaya.

Also recommend Mark Lawerence's Broken Empire trilogy - it has some great internal dialogue but some have been turned off by the protagonist and his age. It's our world an age after a castrophe
    Grim Company by Luke Scull - kinda Joe Abercrombie lite but with added magic.
    Tower and Knife trilogy by Mazarkis Williams - another middle eastern inspired setting with a nice concept of magic. I've only read the first in the trilogy.
    Buried Giant by kazuo Ishiguro - a bit of literary fiction, dragons, ogres and Sir Gawain.
    Red Knight by Miles Cameron - medieval setting drawing at times heavily from the Arthur legends but subverting it. Lots of battles and switching around of PoV. It's a very solid read with some nice sections - golden bear PoV being a highlight for me.
    Peter Grant books by Ben Aaronovitch - a British Dresden Files based in and around London.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

here's a few different ones i really like

The tamir triad trilogy by lynn Flewelling (her nightrunner series is good also)

the empire trilogy by Raymond Feist (for those who've read magician)

amber chronicles by zelazny

Fall of Hyperion seems to be building quickly to a climax yet I'm only a third of the way in. I'm excited by this!

Massive +1 to Zelazny also

• Registered Users Posts: 4,194 ✭✭✭Corruptedmorals

I'd love some recommendations for my upcoming post Wheel of Time slump, just started the last book. More of Brandon Sanderson? Must have similar depth/world building epic scale. I can't bear the thought of this book ending!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I'd love some recommendations for my upcoming post Wheel of Time slump, just started the last book. More of Brandon Sanderson? Must have similar depth/world building epic scale. I can't bear the thought of this book ending!
    Dune (original series), Foundation trilogy, Gemmel (the books tend to be single but the world is persistent), Malazan series, Game of Thrones (beats the tv show every day of the week), The first Law, A land fit for heroes (very unusual story but a bit raw at times), the gentlemen's bastards or chronicles of thomas covenant. From proper story telling to easy reading in that range depending on preference.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Storm light Archive by Sanderson.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭strelok

tad williams otherland series is incredible. his memory,sorrow and thorn is more out and out classic fantasy and is also fantastic

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,087 ✭✭✭✭Dan_Solo

Well I finished Lord Foul's Bane and I've gotta say Thomas Covenant is by some stretch the most hateable "hero" I've ever come across... dunno could I face a load more books of his contrariness and pathetic ill temper. The story itself was totally generic, but I guess it partly defined the genre so I'll let if away with that. Some of it was carbon copy Tolkien though.
    And now, in a moment of weakness and absent mindedness, I click on book 2 of War of the Spider Queen... why oh why... :D

Advertisement