Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Finished reading ~14 books of the Vorkosigan saga. I had read 2-3 of these years ago, enjoyable but finding the others was difficult at the time (gotta love Kindle).

Shards of Honor, Barrayar. Scene setting, a bit disjointed due to novella heritage but essential reading. 7/10
    The Warrior's Apprentice, Mountains of Mourning (novella), The Vor Game, Cetaganda, Labyrinth (novella), The Borders of Infinity (novella): Loved these ones, great action, space opera style 10/10, more even :)
    Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance, Memory: hugely enjoyable, slightly less action oriented but definitely 10/10
    Komarr, A Civil Campaign, "Winterfair Gifts" (novella), Diplomatic Immunity: A bit too romance biased for my tastes, but still interesting read. Lots of social commentary 7/10.

Overall highly recommend reading, ideally in the internal order (as listed). Buy the omnibus editions, much cheaper than individual books.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Trojan wrote: »
    Finished reading ~14 books of the Vorkosigan saga. I had read 2-3 of these years ago, enjoyable but finding the others was difficult at the time (gotta love Kindle).

Shards of Honor, Barrayar. Scene setting, a bit disjointed due to novella heritage but essential reading. 7/10
    The Warrior's Apprentice, Mountains of Mourning (novella), The Vor Game, Cetaganda, Labyrinth (novella), The Borders of Infinity (novella): Loved these ones, great action, space opera style 10/10, more even :)
    Brothers in Arms, Mirror Dance, Memory: hugely enjoyable, slightly less action oriented but definitely 10/10
    Komarr, A Civil Campaign, "Winterfair Gifts" (novella), Diplomatic Immunity: A bit too romance biased for my tastes, but still interesting read. Lots of social commentary 7/10.

Overall highly recommend reading, ideally in the internal order (as listed). Buy the omnibus editions, much cheaper than individual books.
    Never heard of them and they have a lot of Hugos and other awards, thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Thargor wrote: »
    Never heard of them and they have a lot of Hugos and other awards, thanks.

Likewise, another for the reading list!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

37% into "Half the World", the second book in Joe Abercrombie's Shattered Sea trilogy. It's sort of "First Law"-lite but with enough black humour and grimdark to keep me entertained.
    Side note: Its price on Amazon.co.uk seems to fluctuate daily for the Kindle edition. Never seen its like.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

ixoy wrote: »
    37% into "Half the World", the second book in Joe Abercrombie's Shattered Sea trilogy. It's sort of "First Law"-lite but with enough black humour and grimdark to keep me entertained.
    Side note: Its price on Amazon.co.uk seems to fluctuate daily for the Kindle edition. Never seen its like.

Didn't know that was out. Great. I liked the first but you can tell its for teens. Still a decent read though.
    Stepped out of my normal spectrum and am reading choke by Chuck Palahniuk (Fight club writer). Not bad but I'll be returning to my caves, rapiers and magic ****e after I finish.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Just finished "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August" by Catherine Webb/Claire North

Firstly, I've obviously been reading a lot junk recently, because the writing in this was terrific, just the act of reading was a pleasure. It's a "time travelling" story with a twist, Groundhog day extended to a full lifetime, with the added complication that many of these people exist, all interacting with each other over their multiple lives. Certainly not epic sci-fi or high fantasy by any means, but definitely worthy of the praise this book has received.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

pH wrote: »
    Just finished "The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August" by Catherine Webb/Claire North

Firstly, I've obviously been reading a lot junk recently, because the writing in this was terrific, just the act of reading was a pleasure. It's a "time travelling" story with a twist, Groundhog day extended to a full lifetime, with the added complication that many of these people exist, all interacting with each other over their multiple lives. Certainly not epic sci-fi or high fantasy by any means, but definitely worthy of the praise this book has received.

I enjoyed it as well and it definitely is a pleasure to read. Big jump up from the likes of Sanderson and some other fantasy authors.
    I'm interested to now if the author's new book is as good but I haven't gotten a chance to read it yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finished Shadow's Edge a little after 1am and immediately started into Beyond the Shadows. I wouldn't quite say regretting it but I'm certainly feeling it this morning. Coffee time I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Launched into Fahrenheit 451 the other day, it's absolutely marvellous

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

ixoy wrote: »

Yeah, I've read all his books, and I loved them for their characters, world building and the storys were also great.

I always felt a bit depressed after putting them down, its such a cruel world, with the majority of the characters having a very cynical and pragmatic outlook. Not complaining though, but I must say, as I started each new book, I was always thinking.. do I want to depress myself again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I always thought everything after First Law was very bland and he didnt put as much effort into filling in the world for the reader as he did in that trilogy, looking forward to Shattered Sea though from what Im reading of it.

I thought "The Heroes" was a brilliant book. I think of all the books that will always stay with me.

Just finished Fool's Quest by Robin Hobb and I really enjoyed it. I don't know why but I found it a much more satisfying read than the previous book, possibly because it was based more around Buckkeep.
    Long wait to the next book now, which is definitely the last Fitz and Fool book, definitely.

Not sure what to read next. Think I might try the Dragon Keeper ones by Hobb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Starokan

Just finished The Falcon Throne by Karen Miller, I had read her kingmaker kingbreaker series and to be honest I did not really think too much of it, it was a chore to finish it.

Saw the reviews for The Falcon Throne and decided to chance it, I am delighted I did, I found it to be thoroughly entertaining , excellent characters, excellent plots and will definitely buy the next in the series when it comes out

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I always felt a bit depressed after putting them down, its such a cruel world, with the majority of the characters having a very cynical and pragmatic outlook. Not complaining though, but I must say, as I started each new book, I was always thinking.. do I want to depress myself again.

I can see why people love them, but I felt the same.

I just read the first trilogy. Have Heroes, might give it a go sometime later, but need a break from it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,772 ✭✭✭donegal_man

I thought "The Heroes" was a brilliant book. I think of all the books that will always stay with me.

Agree, it's definitely the best of the post "First Law" books. Was very disappointed by "Red Country", just seemed like a collection of Western movie clichés.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Going to move away from fantasy for a while and hit some sci fi,

3/4 way through "The Martian" by Andy Weir after I saw some trailers for the recent film. Easy read and quite enjoyable so far.

Any other Sci Fi suggestions...(light enough material, no epic sagas):)

Glebee wrote: »

3/4 way through "The Martian" by Andy Weir after I saw some trailers for the recent film. Easy read and quite enjoyable so far.

Ringworld by Larry Niven

The Forever war is short and sweet, but really interesting.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs Novels) is quite action packed and has an interesting take on reality with two more books later if interested; I'd also recommend his stand alone book Market Forces as well but it's not really Scifi. First Ender book (don't bother with the rest), foundation trilogy by Asimov (not heavy but plenty of more material if interested), Dune (once again can read the first book only but more if interested) or Old Man's War series (and by the same author the stand alone Red Shirts even though the story telling is disliked by quite a few).

• Advertisement

Culture series is the correct answer fyi

Nody wrote: »
    Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs Novels) is quite action packed and has an interesting take on reality with two more books later if interested; I'd also recommend his stand alone book Market Forces as well but it's not really Scifi. First Ender book (don't bother with the rest), foundation trilogy by Asimov (not heavy but plenty of more material if interested), Dune (once again can read the first book only but more if interested) or Old Man's War series (and by the same author the stand alone Red Shirts even though the story telling is disliked by quite a few).

+ 1 for Dune, look no further, its an out and out classic. If its not the best si-fi book its joint first ^^

Quantum Thief, a straight forward sci-if yarn. Defiantly not confusing.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

+ 1 for Dune, look no further, its an out and out classic. If its not the best si-fi book its joint first ^^
    I don't disagree but the OP also stated:
    light enough material, no epic sagas
    And Dune (esp. from the second book) is very much that :)

Nody wrote: »
    I don't disagree but the OP also stated:
    And Dune (esp. from the second book) is very much that :)

How do you expect a horse to drink, if you don't even bring it to water?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Thanks folks, defo some pointers in the last few posts, recall reading Dune before and it did not lure me back for more.

Finally got the urge to get back to Toll the Hounds after grinding to a halt on it a few months ago.

I don't know if I wasn't paying enough attention last time or whether knowing a bit about what's to come is making a difference but I'm finding it much more gripping this time around.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

42% into "Firefight" by Brandon Sanderson, the second book in his Reckoners series. Like all his works, it's got a great pace to it making up for writing that's not the strongest. Seems perfect for an adaptation too.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

The other suggestions are ALL correct, but I'm throwing out Carl Sagan's "Contact".

Don't worry about having seen the movie, the book is somewhat different (including a different "twist" ending) and just a treat. One of my fav SF books ever.

Oh, and Starship Troopers. :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re-reading the Codex Aleria by Jim Butcher. Roman Empire in a fantasy universe. As good as I remember it to be.

Advertisement