Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I enjoyed the series but it was nearly 30 years ago when it was released and the fantasy choice wasn't exactly huge back then.

I enjoyed the subversion of reality with Covenant having to deal with a new reality of being 'cured' of leprosy and all the convention he had built around himself to maintain his health and how he deals with it.

But I may be in the minority in that:)

Second that - I also enjoyed it circa 30 years ago. Reading this thread reminded me of it however I really doubt I will ever re-read it. The pacing was turgid and I know it was a struggle to get through. Mind you I read LOTR around the same time and also struggled through that for similar reasons.

More recently...

Just finished The Liars Key by Mark Lawrence. Suffers as the middle book of a trilogy and not as good as the first and it is a bit of a 'road-trip' style fantasy series so far. I'm not entirely convinced by his world-building but despite all that it's a pretty compelling read and I'm looking forward to the final instalment.

Re-reading Alastair Reynolds Redemption Ark series and finding it just as great as first time round. Just starting on Absolution Gap and looking forward to spending a few evenings in it's company.

Also read The Lazarus War by Jamie Sawyer after spotting a recommendation from Neal Asher on Goodreads. Rollicking good read and heartily recommended.
    Add your reply here.
    Thanks took a punt on it its 4 dollars 25 cents on amazon !

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I'm onto the liars key by mark Lawrence. The previous one in the series, prince of fools was slow to get going but enjoyable in the end.

Thanks to those recommended it, can't remember who it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just finished Rath's Deception by Piers Platt.

It's a fast paced, simplistic but enjoyable space assassin action sf written in a similar style to Ender's Game. 5/5 if you liked that one, less if you didn't.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

13% into "She Who Waits", the final book in Daniel Polansky's Low-Town trilogy. Enjoying once again the bleak cynicism of a drug-abusing rogue investigator. One of the better written fantasy series I've read recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭DubiousV

Just finished Snuff by Terry Pratchett, very enjoyable, funny and well plotted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Poseidon's Wake by Reynolds. Got a little bit more interesting near the end, but I wouldn't recommend the series to anyone who hasn't started it yet.
    Read The Assasin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, which I really enjoyed, I'll be picked up the rest of the series for sure.
    Also finished the Scorch Trials by James Dashner (Maze Runner 2). Like most of these series, they go down hill with each book, but I'll probably finish the series anyway.
    Currently reading Shadow of the Mantis by Adrian Tchaikovsk. It hasn't really got going yet, but I have faith :)

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Poseidon's Wake by Reynolds. Got a little bit more interesting near the end, but I wouldn't recommend the series to anyone who hasn't started it yet.
    Read The Assasin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb, which I really enjoyed, I'll be picked up the rest of the series for sure.
    Also finished the Scorch Trials by James Dashner (Maze Runner 2). Like most of these series, they go down hill with each book, but I'll probably finish the series anyway.
    Currently reading Shadow of the Mantis by Adrian Tchaikovsk. It hasn't really got going yet, but I have faith :)

Watch the Hobb books become your favourites in no time :)
    Amazing series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,555 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

david75 wrote: »
    Watch the Hobb books become your favourites in no time :)
    Amazing series.

The latest book is excellent and it's the first book in a long while that has me counting down the days to the next book's release.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

mcgovern wrote: »

Be sure to read the live ship trader trilogy before you move on to the tawny man, they're not as separate as they appear.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Be sure to read the live ship trader trilogy before you move on to the tawny man, they're not as separate as they appear.

Id disagree. You can get along without them. I'd send someone back to them after the fitz books. Though them and the city of dragons books are very tied up.

She has an astounding body of work in that world. Assassins apprentice is 20 years old. So it's almost two books a year up to now if you count them all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

I'm re-reading Hobbs at the moment, never done the Assassin trilogy and the Tawny man but have previously skipped Liveship. Will definitely be reading it this time around.

However, I will be taking a break to read The Hogfather.

I'm re-reading Hobbs at the moment, never done the Assassin trilogy and the Tawny man but have previously skipped Liveship. Will definitely be reading it this time around.

However, I will be taking a break to read The Hogfather.

Whaaaa???

Assassin trilogy and tawny man trilogy are her best books!!
    Fitz and the fool trilogy is shaping up to be as good. Last book is next year. Serious weight of expectation on how she brings it to a close.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im guessing his keyboard autocorrected "nearly done the Assassin trilogy and the Tawny man" to "never done the Assassin trilogy and the Tawny man".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Trojan wrote: »
    Just finished Rath's Deception by Piers Platt.

It's a fast paced, simplistic but enjoyable space assassin action sf written in a similar style to Ender's Game. 5/5 if you liked that one, less if you didn't.
    Right up my street! Can't go too wrong for £1.99.

Though I'm reading a Fredrick Forsyth novel for the first time in years and actually really liking it. #wrongforum

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

david75 wrote: »
    Id disagree. You can get along without them. I'd send someone back to them after the fitz books. Though them and the city of dragons books are very tied up.

She has an astounding body of work in that world. Assassins apprentice is 20 years old. So it's almost two books a year up to now if you count them all.

You'd get by of course but I don't know why anyone would want to, a lot of stuff in The Tawny Man makes more sense when you know what happened in the Liveships, not to mention some characters in Tawny Man are introduced in the Liveships and of course
    The Fool is also a major character in the Liveships in their own right
    . I found the Tawny Man Trilogy a much richer experience for having read the Liveships first. I'm hoping to see similar ties between the Rainwild Chronicles and the new trilogy (which I haven't started yet).

Mickeroo wrote: »
    You'd get by of course but I don't know why anyone would want to, a lot of stuff in The Tawny Man makes more sense when you know what happened in the Liveships, not to mention some characters in Tawny Man are introduced in the Liveships and of course
    The Fool is also a major character in the Liveships in their own right
    . I found the Tawny Man Trilogy a much richer experience for having read the Liveships first. I'm hoping to see similar ties between the Rainwild Chronicles and the new trilogy (which I haven't started yet).

Haven't read Rainwilds, yet, but there's definitely connections and the more as it goes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yes there was definitely a typo! I have read Assassin and Tawny Man!

I think all the Farseer books including tawny man would work amazingly well as a tv adaptation of the right network got behind it.

There's been rumours of it happening for a year or two and last year my pal met Hobb at a convention in Perth and asked her about it happening and she said 'you never know! But I wouldn't be allowed talk about it in any case if it were' whilst wiggling her eyebrows.

The thinking is that they're waiting for GOT to run its course. Let's hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just finished "The Blade Itself" trilogy from Joe Abercrombie. Looking around now to find the next series to read.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

25% into "Crashing Heaven" by Al Robertson. Reminds me a little of a less dense Hannu Rajanimi (whom the author has read) mixed with more of a detective noir element. Good so far for a debut work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Currently 83% in on Starshine: Aurora Rising by G.S. Jennsen. It's set Sci-Fi set in the year 2322. Earth has an armistice between a breakaway federation (22 years after a war). Diplomatic relations are starting to look up until a galactic conspiracy comes to light.

It's quite interesting. There's two main protagonists, one from Earth and one from the other federation who presumably have to save humanity. I quite like this book as there's some military strategy in there and a lot of the chapters are from different people from around the different worlds and how their actions affect the actions of the diplomatic relations between the two sides. Lots of political manoeuvring. Really quite interesting.

ixoy wrote: »
    25% into "Crashing Heaven" by Al Robertson. Reminds me a little of a less dense Hannu Rajanimi (whom the author has read) mixed with more of a detective noir element. Good so far for a debut work.

Have the proof sitting on my bookshelf, I'd be interested to know how you find it. I've quite liked the first two Rajaneimi books.

Been absolutely tearing through books lately, which is weird as I've been really busy with work and have **** all time to do other stuff.
    Read the second and third in John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. First is good, second is better and almost excellent and third is good. Don't think I'll bother with the rest in the series, does anyone think I'm missing out.
    Ready Player One was also read, after Girl With all the Gifts and the best of the bunch was Fools Quest - oh and 1984 was a decent read too!

Finally getting around to reading Dune as well. Just started it today.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

wyrn wrote: »
    Currently 83% in on Starshine: Aurora Rising by G.S. Jennsen. It's set Sci-Fi set in the year 2322. Earth has an armistice between a breakaway federation (22 years after a war). Diplomatic relations are starting to look up until a galactic conspiracy comes to light.

It's quite interesting. There's two main protagonists, one from Earth and one from the other federation who presumably have to save humanity. I quite like this book as there's some military strategy in there and a lot of the chapters are from different people from around the different worlds and how their actions affect the actions of the diplomatic relations between the two sides. Lots of political manoeuvring. Really quite interesting.
    This looks perfect thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

Thargor wrote: »
    This looks perfect thanks.
    even looking at her favourite authors bodes well....Peter f hamilton,alaistair reynolds,vernon vinge......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Read the second and third in John Scalzi's Old Man's War series. First is good, second is better and almost excellent and third is good. Don't think I'll bother with the rest in the series, does anyone think I'm missing out.

I think you would be missing out tbh. I've really the series so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm on Dust of Dreams at last. Only a few chapters in but it's fantastic so far

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭Yawlboy

The Philip K Dick MEGAPACK - 15 short stories

got it on kindle as I haven't read a lot of his stuff. Finished the first story and have to say I liked

• Registered Users Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Yawlboy wrote: »
    The Philip K Dick MEGAPACK - 15 short stories

got it on kindle as I haven't read a lot of his stuff. Finished the first story and have to say I liked

I think I got that for free a little while back. If not, it was very cheap. Downside is it didn't take long to finish it.

Picked up Legends today for €3 in a charity shop. It's the first edition hardback and it has a few nice short stories that I haven't read by some big authors.
    GRRM
    Robert Jordan
    Terry Pratchett
    Tad Williams
    Stephen King

And unfortunately Terry Goodkind.

Should be some nice unexpected Christmas reading there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

Started into 'Revelation Space' by Alastair Reynolds on the back of enjoying 'House of Suns' so much. Just starting to get interesting.

On a side note, I reread 'Blindsight' and 'Echopraxia' by Peter Watts again. Loved those books, and I hear he's working on a follow up! :)

Advertisement