Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

On to 'The Mad Ship' now. I do like these, but I think I prefer Hobb when she sticks to a single POV.

I recently (last 3-4 months) read all 16 (so far) of Robin Hobb's books set in that world, and I can't wait until the final book in the latest trilogy comes out later this year hopefully. I'm reading other things now for a change of pace, but I might go and read some of the prequel stuff and other Hobb books before the last one comes out.

They are great page turning books, even the slightly weaker series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

5starpool wrote: »
    I recently (last 3-4 months) read all 16 (so far) of Robin Hobb's books set in that world, and I can't wait until the final book in the latest trilogy comes out later this year hopefully. I'm reading other things now for a change of pace, but I might go and read some of the prequel stuff and other Hobb books before the last one comes out.

They are great page turning books, even the slightly weaker series.

They are really excellent books and I enjoy the slower pace and less action packed like the newer books by the likes of Sanderson.
    I feel she never gets bogged down in redundant subplots or gets repetitive like Jordan but still retains a nice sanguine pace.
    Also her prose and descriptive powers are a touch above most other fantasy authors.
    Not overly wordy like Mieville but more than jus workmanlike.
    The last book was xcellent and I'm all agog to see how the final book plays out.

Would love to see an adaptation for TV or film.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

thinking of Starting either Aurora or leviathan wakes anybody read either ? if so which is better?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

thinking of Starting either Aurora or leviathan wakes anybody read either ? if so which is better?

Leviathan Wakes for me, no question. Very different books though.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just finished Lords of the Sith by Paul S Kemp.
    Really great read. Couldn't put it down in fact. You get to see Darth Vader and the Emperor really kicking ass.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 8,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭mewso

the first 3 of the riftwar saga are a great read. stop there tbh.

If you enjoyed those, you can read the "daughter of the empire" trilogy set in Kelewan, which Feist co wrote with Wurts, and is a great read.

I'd echo that. Magician is fairly stand alone as it is. You could happily read that and leave it there if you were undecided. The trilogy with Wurts is fantastic.

Just finished Caliban's War (book 2 of The Expanse) and would highly recommend it. Just as good as book 1. Next decision is should I proceed to book 3, do that re-read of the Gap Cycle I've been planning or finally get started on Gardens of the Moon. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Can anyone recommend 'A World of Ice and Fire'? It's a whopping 44 quid in store but about 25 on Amazon. Wondering if I should invest in it :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

On to 'The Mad Ship' now. I do like these, but I think I prefer Hobb when she sticks to a single POV.

The Liveship Traders was one of my favourite trilogy's when I was younger. Haven't read it in years, hope it's still good! I much preferred them to Fitz and the Fool tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Can anyone recommend 'A World of Ice and Fire'? It's a whopping 44 quid in store but about 25 on Amazon. Wondering if I should invest in it :D

Tbh it's probably got nothing in it that isn't in the main series.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,263 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Finished Leviathan Wakes a few days ago and really enjoyed it, not going to launch straight into the rest of the series just yet though.

Going to read A Second Chance at Eden next, which will be my first foray into Peter F Hamilton.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I just copped that Leviathan Wakes is The Expanse series. Been meaning to give it a go. Currently reading Dragonflight by Anne McCaffrey. I'm quite enjoying it so far. I thought it was a fantasy book because of the dragons but it's really a sci-fi book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,265 ✭✭✭..Brian..

I read the first 3 or 4 Pern books years ago and loved them. Been meaning to give them ago again.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Yeah just finished it last night. It wasn't exactly what I expected. I totally bought it because it had dragons on the cover but it's really a (low tech) sci-fi novel. I really enjoyed it and I'm looking forward to reading the next one. Not sure how many of them I'll actually read as there seems to be a whole saga of them.

The only criticism I have is that
    F'Lar gets annoyed he shakes Lessa. Not great communication skills for a leader.

Oh and one other thing that's been bugging me that I hope might be mentioned in the next book is
    Lessa's skill of being able to blur her features or make F'Lar say something. They never really came back to that. Is it magic?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

..Brian.. wrote: »
    I read the first 3 or 4 Pern books years ago and loved them. Been meaning to give them ago again.

I read most of what she's written and for some reason never really clicked with the Pern series (read the first 6 more or less), but loved most of her other stuff.

Absolutely loved her crystal singer trilogy, and everything she wrote in the Talents universe as well as her Acorna series. (although i read most of her stuff over 15-20 years ago).

Always found it strange but could never quite put my finger on what exactly it was in the Pern universe that bothered me. I suppose it never grabbed me as much as the others.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

after mis-starting a few books over the last few years (The Long War: Prachett + Baxter, the Blade itself: Abercrombie) im now currently about half way through Mistborn: The Final Empire by Brandon Sanderson

I must say im enjoying it highly. Characters i can relate to, heros and heroines that are flawed, a 'big baddy' thats vulnerable and torn, a world of magic very cleverly created and explored and detailed, and a setting and atmosphere that believable and tense.

I havent read a fantasy series in about 15 years (i was a huge david eddings fan, Belgariad, Mallorean series etc) but i think i can really get into this series.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Re: Mistborn, there is another series set in the same world but after these events. Not a spoiler, but the tone is more Steampunk in style and works very well.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

i assume thats the "alloy of law" books. even better that theres a further expansion after the mistborn books :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Anyone know if the Honor Harrington series is worth a look? Fairly long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Trojan wrote: »

Had a go at the first one and found it kind of young adult'ish

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Picked up "The Stand" by Stephen King earlier. Looking forward to getting stuck in. Not sure it qualifies for fantasy or that, but sure....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Trojan wrote: »

Yeah they're fine - it's Hornblower in space. I've read most if them and enjoyed them. Though at times I've also rolled my eyes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Grabbed the first book in The Way Of Kings by Sanderson, just need to finish Great Expectations before I start it, a book that is no way living up to Great Expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

astonaidan wrote: »
    Grabbed the first book in The Way Of Kings by Sanderson, just need to finish Great Expectations before I start it, a book that is no way living up to Great Expectations
    Just to warn you, the first arc of the predicted 10 book run of The Stormlight Archive isn't scheduled to be completed until 2021 (book 3 next year and book 4 in 2019).

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2015/

That said, it's Sanderson's masterpiece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Sleepy wrote: »
    Just to warn you, the first arc of the predicted 10 book run of The Stormlight Archive isn't scheduled to be completed until 2021 (book 3 next year and book 4 in 2019).

http://brandonsanderson.com/state-of-the-sanderson-2015/

That said, it's Sanderson's masterpiece.

Hmmm what ever happened to a good old fashioned trilogy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

astonaidan wrote: »
    Hmmm what ever happened to a good old fashioned trilogy
    Douglas Adams had the right idea with 'Mostly Harmless', part five of a four part trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,116 ✭✭✭RDM_83 again

The Steel Remains by Richard K. Morgan. Grim dark fantasy, still not finished but my enthusiasm has entered a massively downward spiral. Initially I was enjoying because it seemed to be gritty with an interesting world, as I go on though while its trying to be a book that subverts fantasy cliches its very much bound by them. Making the character gay seems like its added in simply to be different rather than explored and it features overly written sex scenes which appear to be added for "shock value" but like nearly all sex stuff unless written by a very very good writer comes across as boring, the main protagonist IMO isn't damaged and complex just rather unlikable.
    Written 20-30 years ago this book would have caused a stir, now it feels like a wasted opportunity (hopefully it turns itself around in last few chapters).

With this complaint can anybody recommend some fantasy (preferably fairly long/trilogy) where the main characters aren't unstoppable killing machines (read GoT)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

So I've finished my Jim butcher audio book listening. Really enjoyed the 'Codex Alera' series. Can anyone recommend any decent Sci fi or fantasy audio books for me?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I have started leviathian wakes . Going full on sci fi this year any recommendations will be taken on board

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Reading Tarkin by James Luceno.
    All about governor Tarkin overseeing the construction of the Death Star. Luceno is a great writer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

I have started leviathian wakes . Going full on sci fi this year any recommendations will be taken on board

Dragon's egg by Robert Forward. Great Hard Sci fi

Advertisement