Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Dragon's egg by Robert Forward. Great Hard Sci fi
    Looked it up sounds pretty cool ,is it science-y similiar to the Martian?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

haven't read the martian unfortunately, so let me know the answer to your question once you've read it :pac:. There is a decent amount of science in it, but certainly not overwhleming.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Would call The Martin hard sci-fi. It has a lot of science but it did win the Best Comedy at the Golden Globes :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Both great books, but wouldn't say they are similar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

Was an avid SciFi reader a long time ago and have just started to get back into it, so I've returned to one of my faves - "The Mote in God's Eye"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,794 ✭✭✭Squall Leonhart

I'm re-reading Wizards' First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I first read it (and the subsequent 10 or so books that followed) in 2008.

I am finding it really difficult to read this time around.... it's poorly written, really poorly written, repetitive weak dialogue and one dimensional characters. The story isn't a poor one per se, it's just tedious reading it. The book is several hundred pages too long.

Thoughts on the series?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

I'm re-reading Wizards' First Rule by Terry Goodkind. I first read it (and the subsequent 10 or so books that followed) in 2008.

I am finding it really difficult to read this time around.... it's poorly written, really poorly written, repetitive weak dialogue and one dimensional characters. The story isn't a poor one per se, it's just tedious reading it. The book is several hundred pages too long.

Thoughts on the series?

read that book years ago... and the one recurring memory i have of it is a very disappointing ending. i didnt continue the series

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Jawgap wrote: »
    Was an avid SciFi reader a long time ago and have just started to get back into it, so I've returned to one of my faves - "The Mote in God's Eye"
    Brilliant book, couldnt believe it was written in 1974 when I read it, it was really fresh. Its also part of a series but I havent read any others:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoDominium

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Finished the Gunslinger last night by King. Don't really know what to say. I mean, I want to read more of the series but I hope the relationships pick up a bit.

Didn't buy the feelings the gunslinger had for Allie or Jake. I was told about them, sure, but never really felt it.

I understand he heavily edited the book years later, and I reckon I read an earlier version.

Yeah the Dark Tower truly starts now, enjoy it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Thoughts on the series?

I made it as far as "Naked Empire". Goodkind's personal beliefs/politics were really leaking into the story by then and it just put me off finishing it.

I watched some of the series and thought they made a reasonable effort within the constraints of their budget
    ( I am unable to find budget details but some of the effects looked on the cheaper side to me.)

That said they really advanced the introduction of characters and plot-lines and seemed to miss out on others. This is usually the norm for book to TV adaptions.

Terry himself told his fans, before it's release, not to expect the TV show's story to follow the books closely. That this was the way in TV land in order to appeal to a larger audience.

In conclusion, I would treat both the TV show and the books as separate but related entities.

I think this is my longest post on Boards :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Thoughts on the series?
    If you think that's bad wait until his books after 911 are coming; he goes full nuts in his political alignments in the series to prove how the free market always trumps the evil communists...

I finished the whole series to the original ending and it does not get better as it progress deeper into the story.

Anyway; currently on the fifth book in the Clone Rebellion series (and just put the next five on order); nothing to deep but it's an interesting take on the world and humanity at times.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Sun King

Bought 'Leviathan Wakes'. Well, the missus wanted an electric blanket, 40e in Argos or 36 euro on Amazon including a free book for me.

Hope it's good now.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

22% into 'Vicious' by V.E. Schwab. Reminding me a little of a dark mix of 'Flatliners' and Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners, dealing with people with supernatural powers. Not quite yet convinced but it's still relatively early days.

I watched the first episode of The Magicians and whilst I'm not completely sold on the story, I am keen to know what happens next. Anyone read The Magicians by Lev Grossman? I'm tempted to buy it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

wyrn wrote: »
    I watched the first episode of The Magicians and whilst I'm not completely sold on the story, I am keen to know what happens next. Anyone read The Magicians by Lev Grossman? I'm tempted to buy it

Yea I've read all three. Hated it at first as I just thought it was complete rip off of Narnia. Then I read a couple of reviews before throwing the book through the window, realised it was meant to be tongue in cheek and got into it.

It's good, bit weird, predictable in places and it certainly gets darker as you go on. Enjoyable once I got into the story, don't know if I'd have continued after the first book if I hadn't the trilogy in one set.

Kovu wrote: »
    Yea I've read all three. Hated it at first as I just thought it was complete rip off of Narnia. Then I read a couple of reviews before throwing the book through the window, realised it was meant to be tongue in cheek and got into it.

It's good, bit weird, predictable in places and it certainly gets darker as you go on. Enjoyable once I got into the story, don't know if I'd have continued after the first book if I hadn't the trilogy in one set.

Cheers! I also said it was a rip off of Narnia. I was just so curious because the first episode ended in a cliff hanger. I already have an irrational hatred for the main character.

Cheers! I also said it was a rip off of Narnia. I was just so curious because the first episode ended in a cliff hanger. I already have an irrational hatred for the main character.

I started off the same, had him pictured in my mind as a whinging emo-esque character moping after the friends girlfriend. Certainly got to like him a lot better by the end of the first book.
    What did the first episode end in if you don't mind me asking? I never even knew it was a series!

That's it exactly, with his so "poor me, no one gets me" attitude. Also he was quite a crap friend
    when she asked him to ask them to accept her or retest her.

The first episode I think was a double episode and it ended
    at midday in class, where time seemed frozen and Mr Butterfly-Moth man came through the mirror and then squeezed out the principle's eyes. That was where it ended and now I'm dying to know if he's dead and who the bad guy is.

Your first spoiler plays out quite a bit different in the book if it's who I'm thinking of. Actually looking at Wiki, the first episode is a hell of a lot different than the book even down to
    how the beast is 'summoned.'
    !
    It's a catch 22, I generally hate reading something after watching and vice versa. Judging on the pilot episode though, the book plays it out a lot slower, probably too slow in places with a lot of filler for the first quarter of the book. Perhaps that's why they
    brought a person you mentioned into it very early- they don't really show up until the end of the first book. Actually there's two like that but I won't say any more!

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    22% into 'Vicious' by V.E. Schwab. Reminding me a little of a dark mix of 'Flatliners' and Brandon Sanderson's Reckoners, dealing with people with supernatural powers. Not quite yet convinced but it's still relatively early days.
    Whats that Reckoners series like anyone?

I am currently loving Echopraxia by Peter Watts, thanks to whoever let me know Blindsight had a sequel, this is proper hard sci-fi, you get the impression the author is a bit of a genius himself when he writes about intelligence and consciousness.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

The reckoners is probably good commute fodder, no big surprises, moves along nicely but at the same time you are unlikely to miss your bus stop from being overly sucked in :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Swan Song, it wasn't great. It really could have done with losing about 50% of its bulk, which would have been a big improvement.
    I also read the first book in the Black Company by Glen Cook, it's very obvious that the Malazan books were heavily influenced by it. It was a (relatively) lighter read though and I'll continue on with the series.
    Finished listening to Aurora Rising by G.S. Jensen. It started off well, and then spent an absurd amount of time on two of the main characters getting it on / thinking of getting it on or arguing only to realise they had nothing to argue over and getting it on again. If it was a book I could have skipped through these pieces, but not so easy on audio book. Unless I hear the rest of the series isn't like that I won't be reading the rest.
    About half way through Half the World by Joe Ambercrombie, so far so good, getting to see a bit more of the world, and focusing on some new characters.
    I also started listening to Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson. I wasn't huge fan of the first book in the series, but after reading and loving the Stormlight archives, I decided to give it another go. I'm liking this one better so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Would call The Martin hard sci-fi. It has a lot of science but it did win the Best Comedy at the Golden Globes :D

Just finishing up reading The Martian. Quite enjoyed it. Am I missing something completely though or how did this win a best comedy section of a film award competition...

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

13% into "The Emperor's Blades" by Brian Staveley, the first book in his Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne trilogy. Naturally I thought it made sense to start another complex fantasy series rather than finish off the existing ones...
    I'm liking what I've read so far though. Seems there's some interesting world building being done even if I'm being blasted with a variety of different terms and names at the moment.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Anyone recommend some good time travel types books? I've recently read Replay by Ken Grimwood (good but somewhat disappointing I thought) and The First 15 Lives of Harry August by Catherine Webb (I really enjoyed this), and looking for others. I've read The Time Machine years ago (not a favourite of mine) as well as the Outlander books, and I'm looking for more. Might not be the right thread for this, apologies if so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 768 ✭✭✭SpaceSasqwatch

5starpool wrote: »
    Anyone recommend some good time travel types books? I've recently read Replay by Ken Grimwood (good but somewhat disappointing I thought) and The First 15 Lives of Harry August by Catherine Webb (I really enjoyed this), and looking for others. I've read The Time Machine years ago (not a favourite of mine) as well as the Outlander books, and I'm looking for more. Might not be the right thread for this, apologies if so.
    maybe give century rain by alaistair reynolds ago. it involves travel back to an alternative earth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Not sure if you'd call it time travel, its more scfi/fantasy the The Many-Colored Land by Julian May.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

5starpool wrote: »

i really enjoyed 11/22/63 by stephen king.

also both the hyperion and endymion books by Dan simmons deal with time travel but definitely not in a conventional sense

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭redrums

Started reading the Long earth series by Stephen Baxter & Terry pratchett , Half way thru The long war Finding them a good read so far

Advertisement