Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭ElWalrus

drake70 wrote: »
    Great, I need plenty of sci-fi to take my mind off my second attempt to read the wheel of time.

Ha, been reading mostly just sci-fi since I finished the Wheel of Time myself. Must just have that effect! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just read way to much Honorverse, main series plus some of the spin-offs. Couple of repetitive battles and similar characters, but can't complain too much given it's about 3 million words - about the size of Wheel of Time!

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AzN

Reading Salem's Lot at the moment, bit slow to start but getting more interesting the more I read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Not sure if this is the right place, but can anyone recommend some zombie stuff? Max Brooks aside.

I've just finished "I, Zombie" by Hugh Howie (who wrote "wool").

Really good, the twist is that it is all told from the perspective of the zombies who are conscious but powerless as their bodies are controlled by the virus.

Some horrific images in that book, especially one where a mother who has turned zombie is scrabbling at, but can't quite reach, the baby strapped to her back. Both of them are crying for food.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Fian wrote: »
    I've just finished "I, Zombie" by Hugh Howie (who wrote "wool").

Really good, the twist is that it is all told from the perspective of the zombies who are conscious but powerless as their bodies are controlled by the virus.

Some horrific images in that book, especially one where a mother who has turned zombie is scrabbling at, but can't quite reach, the baby strapped to her back. Both of them are crying for food.
    Never heard of it thanks, Im still a bit burned out when it comes to zombie stuff though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Has anyone read The second earth sea book? Really enjoyed the first one but with so much in my pile I don't really want to take a chance on it.
    Good as the first, beer or worse?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Trojan wrote: »
    Just read way to much Honorverse, main series plus some of the spin-offs. Couple of repetitive battles and similar characters, but can't complain too much given it's about 3 million words - about the size of Wheel of Time!
    A better person you are than I, having got into 3 books and gave up.
    His early work, Oath of Swords or Mutineers moon are both shorter and more entertaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Has anyone read The second earth sea book? Really enjoyed the first one but with so much in my pile I don't really want to take a chance on it.
    Good as the first, beer or worse?

I read the trilogy{single volume) in the mid-eighties. Can't really remember much of the story, but I do know that when I was a teenager, if I wasn't enjoying a book it usually got dropped.

So go for it.

Think it's time I added this to the digital pile.

Also, I like beer* :)

*possibly the reason I can't rember the story too well:(

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Read "The Fuller Memorandum" by Charles Stross. It's book 3 in the Laundry series that will now have at least seven books. It's the usual Stross Laundry mix of techie nerd, social commentary, a dash of history and of course horror.

12% into "The Providence of Fire" by Brian Stavely, the second book in his "Chronicles of the Unhewn Throne" series. Picks up nicely after the first instalment. Characters are now established so the "origins" bit is over - hoping that the pace then picks up a little as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Second that recommendation - thoroughly enjoyed it. Also her 'Inheritance Trilogy' was great. Had never heard of her up till a few weeks ago and thundered through all the above.

Ooh thanks, yoink

• Advertisement

Started Shepherd's Crown by Terry Pratchett yesterday. Been putting it off for ages, as its the last discworld novel and I wanted never to be finished them.
    It's a strong book so far and it, along with Raising Steam, meant Pratchett bowed out on strong note.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Finished The Liveship Traders trilogy.

After a slow start, I have to say I really enjoyed it. An earlier post of mine says I prefer Hobb when she sticks to one POV, but I think my mind has been changed!

On to the Tawny Man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

halfway through Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". Cracking read so far. really enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Harika

Reading Linda Nagata: "The Red"-Trilogie atm http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-First-Light-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B0124PDSXO/ref=asap_bc?ie=UTF8 So far happy with the first book, looking forward to the next two. Although more CyberPunk than SciFi.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Just finished the 3rd book in a 4 part series, The Future Next Door. It's a sort of light sci-fi series. It's set in New York with 4 twenty-something friends living together. You have Alan, the gay gamer who has no direction in life and is always temping. Then there's Cailin, the pretty blonde actress/bar tender. Mark the handsome Korean gym instructor and finally Dakota the strong black lesbian who is desperate to make it on her own and not with the help of her rich family.

The book titles are a bit odd, I had thought that the first book, Alan Lennox and the Temp Job of Doom would solely focus on Alan. It doesn't. It has chapters from all the housemates and the really random scenarios they find themselves in. It's a fun, light series and the characters have flaws, which is nice. They're not heroes with destinies. First book is a little slow and the second book really picks up the pace. It's also kinda gruesome in parts. Yeah, I wasn't too gone on the first book but I really really really liked the second.

It's quirky. I only picked up the first one when it was on offer. It's free at the moment on Amazon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

wyrn wrote: »
    It's quirky. I only picked up the first one when it was on offer. It's free at the moment on Amazon.

Seem to be charging on Amazon.com (from your link) but free on Amazon.co.uk.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

mcgovern wrote: »
    Seem to be charging on Amazon.com (from your link) but free on Amazon.co.uk.
    Ah, I have a .com account and it shows up free. Must be free on whatever account you are registered with. Sorry about that

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭AzN

Finished Salem's Lot great book with classic vampires that don't fecking sparkle in the daylight.

I just started the Discword series, planning to go in order of release so god help me.... there's so many.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

AzN wrote: »
    I just started the Discword series, planning to go in order of release so god help me.... there's so many.
    Enjoy it; it's one of those rare treats and has the benefit each book tend to be selfcontained (yet you'll get references to the earlier books by reading them in order).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Finished Salem's Lot great book with classic vampires that don't fecking sparkle in the daylight.

LOL

I tend to pick a theme and go through that. Some I didn't like. For example I like any involving the guards and wizards, and death, not so hot on the witches, or some of the one offs like religions, etc. Some would be the opposite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 40 pages in ,and enjoying it so far.

beauf wrote: »
    LOL

I tend to pick a theme and go through that. Some I didn't like. For example I like any involving the guards and wizards, and death, not so hot on the witches, or some of the one offs like religions, etc. Some would be the opposite.

I've always enjoyed the ones were C.M.O.T Dibbler had a prominent role. Soul Music and Moving Pictures being two.

So I finished Half the World, which was enjoyable, some interesting new characters were introduced.
    Also read
    Beacon 23 by Hugh Howey, short but an interesting read.
    Tomorrow the Killing by Daniel Polansky which took a slightly different tact than the first in the series, but was again very good.
    Cibola Burn by James S.A. Corey. Perhaps not as good as the first books, but still worth the read and I'll continue the series.
    Shadows Linger by Glen Cook. A little weaker than the first book, but again, still good and I'll continue with the series.
    Finished listening to The Well of Ascension. Better than the first, but wasn't a huge fan of most of the characters.
    Also listened to Red Shirts by John Scalzi. It was an interesting idea but it dragged on too long, it was more suited to a novella.

Now reading The Promise of Blood by Brian McClellan. Liking it so far, haven't read any of the current crop of gunpowder fantasy yet.
    Also reading Morning Star by Pierce Brown. Keeps up with the mental pace of the first two books and has some really great characters. Probably one of my favourite series of all time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Reading 'Use of Weapons' at the moment. Only a small ways in so haven't quite been hooked yet, but Zakalwe seems like a pretty cool character!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

halfway through Neil Gaiman's "American Gods". Cracking read so far. really enjoying it.

Finished this. Great book! looking forward to reading more of his stuff. Any recommendations?

Finished this. Great book! looking forward to reading more of his stuff. Any recommendations?

Anasai Boys is sort of a sequel, but I haven't read it yet.
    I did enjoy The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Anansi Boys is a separate story in the same world, a cracking read.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Neverwhere is good too. I absolutely loved American Gods, must read it again actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I am starting the third book of the "night angel" trilogy atm. Read the first two novels over the course of a week or so - really good reads. Would recommend.

So Game of Thrones TV series is going to pull ahead of the books from the start of this season. I read the first three novels about a year or so before the fourth came out. I don't like seeing the story develop on the TV rather than via the books, but I am definitely going to watch the series. Can't imagine putting off the TV show for the length of time it will take for the remaining books to come out.

Is anyone going to try to avoid the TV show? Spoilers would be almost impossible to avoid anyway imo, especially any major plot twists, the TV shows are talked about too much.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Ctrl-Alt-Revolt by Nick Cole. A Terminator meets Ready Player One mix.

Advertisement