Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

david75 wrote: »
    Hobbs Farseer books are incredible. Can't wait for the final one in November.

really - i must have missed some if there's another book coming out! love those books.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

I'm reading Worm. Or to be specific, reading it again.

It involves superheroes and villains. It's about 1.5 million words long. It's pretty damn good.

I won't say any more about it except to say that the road to hell is paved with good intentions.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

nhur wrote: »
    really - i must have missed some if there's another book coming out! love those books.

You serious??

Fools assassin and fools quest are out a year and two years now.

Set years and years later. Fitz is all settled down and trouble comes to find him. As it does :)
    Final book out this November and that will really be that. So all told there'll be 9 books about fitz and the fool. You know the others though right?

23157777.jpg

Don't read them if you haven't read the Tawny man trilogy. Best of the three trilogies of I'm honest. So far at least.

• Advertisement

Deadly - I thought the second rainwild chronicles were the most recent books! Just had a look at her bibliography - apparently I stopped looking for her new stuff in 2013!

I'm re-re-re-reading David Eddings atm cos I convinced the wife to read them. I'm blitzing through them as usual so glad to have something new to go to. My alternative was to continue slogging through the Black Company or Dune series... (or re-read the Malazan books which are epic in all senses of the word)

Thanks a mil :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Finished Wool. Cracking read. cheers for whoever mentioned it!

back on to rereading Jack the bodiless which is the first of the galactic milieu trilogy by julian May

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Decided to re-read the Black Company a couple of weeks ago. Now nearly finished Shadows Linger.

I never went any farther than that the first time around, not sure why because Shadows Linger is an absolute cracker. Will be continuing on this time for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Finished March Upcountry, March to the Sea & March to the Stars. Good, swashbuckling military scifi. I'm looking for the 4th in the series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

keane2097 wrote: »
    Decided to re-read the Black Company a couple of weeks ago. Now nearly finished Shadows Linger.

I never went any farther than that the first time around, not sure why because Shadows Linger is an absolute cracker. Will be continuing on this time for sure.

I started them for the first time in March and I'm into Dreams of Steel now. The blurb on the firsEt chronicles isn't hyperbolic at all, when it states that Cook single handily changed the face of fantasy.
    So much influence on Jordan (the taken = the forsaken), erikson (throwing you into it in gardens of the moon = the situation in Beryl) Abercrombie and more. They all owe a debt to Croaker and the Black Company.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Wool. Cracking read. cheers for whoever mentioned it!

It's down to £1.99 at the moment, I must get back to it, only read the first 2 or 3.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    I start d them for the first time in March and I'm into Dreams of Steel now. The blurb on the firsEt chronicles isn't hyperbolic at all, when it states that Cook single handily changed the face of fantasy.
    So much influence on Jordan (the taken = the forsaken), erikson (throwing you into it in gardens of the moon = the situation in Beryl) Abercrombie and more. They all owe a debt to Croaker and the Black Company.

i've only read the books of the north afaik. They're good but they're not a patch on Erikson's stuff.

Trojan wrote: »
    Finished March Upcountry, March to the Sea & March to the Stars. Good, swashbuckling military scifi. I'm looking for the 4th in the series.

Finished the 4th - We Few - in 2 nights, got hooked on that series. There might be a 5th book couple of draft scenes posted in 2014 on Baen, but nothing since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 60 pages in and liking it big time.A real page turner.................

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Ugh that Red Rising Hunger Games rip-off was a painful read, started out promising but when they got to that place it stopped making any sense whatsoever, dont think Ill bother with any others.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

26% into "Fall of Light" by Steven Erikson, the second book in his Kharkanas trilogy. It's one of his heaviest (even in e-book form!) - dense prose, lots of philosophical musings and purposely done in a different style (there's some interesting interviews on it). But some of the glimpses into the distant past of Wu are very interesting. Not an easy read but so far worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reece289

Don't read them if you haven't read the Tawny man trilogy. Best of the three trilogies of I'm honest. So far at least.

I love how relaxed her books are written. Sucks in every little sense and feel, which when something major happens increases the impact. The newest found some people complaining about pace, but I loved the pace, washed me into the stream.

Love Hobbs stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Almost finished the Emperor of Thorns :( Have slowed my reading so I can drag it out. Really got into it, definitely recommend it. I find myself torn over Jorg, I want to hate him but I can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reece289

Reading the Vorksaigen series. Brilliant stuff. Her insights into motive and reaction is great, more so as the feel from one condition to the other of the characters feels natural. She never hides from harsh lessons for them or from disappointing the reader. So refreshing even if you feel at times like the whole thing is going wrong. A special writer indeed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,306 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kovu wrote: »
    Almost finished the Emperor of Thorns :( Have slowed my reading so I can drag it out. Really got into it, definitely recommend it. I find myself torn over Jorg, I want to hate him but I can't.
    Come back when you finished the series completely and give us a final verdict please :)

• Advertisement

Loved the Jorg series. You can't hate him really.

I read the Kingkiller chronicles right after them. They're even better. Cmon Rothfuss get off yer hole and finish them.

yeah - Rothfuss is heading for a George RR Martin reputation if he doesn't get his ... in gear.

started the Fitz and the Fool trilogy (thanks fellow boardies!) - struggling to remember the characters cos it's been so long since I read the Tawny man books - perhaps i should re-read them first - can only remember the broad strokes of the plots...

yeah - Rothfuss is heading for a George RR Martin reputation if he doesn't get his ... in gear.

started the Fitz and the Fool trilogy (thanks fellow boardies!) - struggling to remember the characters cos it's been so long since I read the Tawny man books - perhaps i should re-read them first - can only remember the broad strokes of the plots...

No harm at all in starting again from the start. She has such a gift writing this world and the people in it. Pleasure to read over and over.

It's dying to be made into a tv series.

hmm... yeah perhaps.. though I'm short on time (story of my life) - but probably worth rereading the Tawny man - defo not going all the way back to the assassin books!

For a change of pace, I'm reading The Three Muskateers.

hmm... yeah perhaps.. though I'm short on time (story of my life) - but probably worth rereading the Tawny man - defo not going all the way back to the assassin books!

... and several pages into the Tawny Man trilogy i decided to go back to the Assassin books!

Finished this one yesterday and overall enjoyed it.Not as good as First Law IMO.

About 30 pages read of Half the World by same author.Found the second chapter gripping so looking forward to the rest of it.:)

Cmon Rothfuss get off yer hole and finish them.

Probably spending too much time making his boardgame.;)

Probably spending too much time making his boardgame.;)

He's over at George's, working on a prequel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

I'm still on a Robin Hobb binge. I finished the Liveship trilogy and then the Piebald Prince last week and have just started the tawny man yesterday.

I'm also reading Neil Gaiman's American Gods in between Hobb. I can't understand how this book is so well regarded. I think it's probably the most poorly written book I've ever read, the dialogue especially. It's cringe worthy how bad it is. And then there's 'shadow moon', a more vapid non-character than you'll ever see. Maybe it's just me!

Advertisement