Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Gaiman is an odd one. Loved Neverwhere but none of his others really grabbed me.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

david75 wrote: »
    Gaiman is an odd one. Loved Neverwhere but none of his others really grabbed me.
    exactly my sentiments. I'm lashing through the assassin hobb books (though tbf it's my second time around!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Finished the Broken Empire series. I dunno, as a whole it was quite good but.....
    everything that seemed to be opposing him was just too short. Lots of battle scenes could have been described in more graphic detail. I'd also guessed who the dead king was by the third book but that's my fault for overthinking the story I guess.But the setting was brilliant and quite believable for a post-apocalyptic setting.
    But yea, I recommend it, definitely enjoyed the first two books more than the last. I found the first book to be the most compelling to read, definitely thrown in at the deep end with Jorg so the first few chapters might be a bit off putting to readers.

Anyway in the meantime since then I've read the last Pratchett books I'd skipped, (Good Omens & The Shepherd's Crown) nice easy fun reading after the raping, pillaging and murderous scenes. :pac:

Now onto GoT, have been waiting a while to start it and wanted a good clear run at them!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,469 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished a few things recently:

The Hunt for Vulcan: . . . And How Albert Einstein Destroyed a Planet, Discovered Relativity: not Sci-Fi as such, but a really fascinating story of scientific-fiction from the 19th century, when the greatest minds in astronomy hunted for a planet that was never actually there, the titular 'Vulcan'. It wasn't until Einstein came along with his theories of relativity that the math leading scientists astray was explained, but the book charts the various points through history that caused astronomers to look for this phantom planet.

The Girl with all the Gifts: while the plot wasn't the most original, I found the execution really enjoyable, maintaining a sweet melancholy throughout the narrative, with a compelling voice to its characters.

Ready Player One: Admittedly I've already ranted about this one on this thread, but I only finished it the other day and had maintained hope that the back-half of the novel might be better than the front. Nope! One of the worst novels I've read in the last couple of years, and its nostalgia slumming just made this particular 80s kid go off his own decade a little.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Just finished "Before they are hanged". Found it a really enjoyable read. usually I find when a story gets split up into different story lines I loose interest in one of them at least and (Game of Thrones). With this I found that the three main story lines were great and held my attention. Would love to actually see a film version of the First Law books.
    Between minds now whether to dive straight into "Last Arguments of Kings" or start off on some Robin Hobb.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Uprooted by Naomi novik. Only 30 pages in but it has be hooked.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

The Destroyer series by Michael-Scott Earle.

Book 1 was fine, but then he raised it a notch and really got into the world building in 2 & 3.

It's a little graphic at times - thought I was reading Clan of the Cave Bears there for a bit - but overall decent fantasy series, worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

The Passage Book 3 is out, The City of Mirrors, wasn't too gone on the second book but the first was so good, one of the best sci-fi horrors ever so I want to see how it ends. Stephen Kings son Joe Hill has a new one out called the Fireman about a virus that causes people to spontaneously combust so picked that up aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

At long last have reached Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson - bought the trilogy a few months ago. Have really enjoyed the previous two books, look forward to the tv show and hope it will be as of high a quality.

At long last have reached Blue Mars by Kim Stanley Robinson - bought the trilogy a few months ago. Have really enjoyed the previous two books, look forward to the tv show and hope it will be as of high a quality.

In limbo unfortunately, not looking good.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

28% into Crux by Ramez Naam, the second book in the Nexus trilogy. Very enjoyable so far and it's very easy to read after the slog that Fall of Light was. Interesting view of a world with trans- and post-humanism.

• Registered Users Posts: 399 ✭✭Ronanc1

So just finished the first Shadows of the Apt book as recommended by Ioxy (I think?) many moons ago, bought and lingering on my shelf. Needed a break from scifi and Ian Banks binging. Have to say despite these books knocking around Chapters at 3 euro a pop I thought it a great little read and am certainly itching to see where it goes from here on, it's nice as well to have, much like when I read WoT a plethora of books with plenty of world building ahead and all out and available to buy one after the other. :D

Shadows of the Apt is brilliant, love the way he gave different insect aspects to the various armies without making it too ridiculous or childish, I love the ants.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭saneman

ixoy wrote: »
    28% into Crux by Ramez Naam, the second book in the Nexus trilogy. Very enjoyable so far and it's very easy to read after the slog that Fall of Light was. Interesting view of a world with trans- and post-humanism.

Just finished the final book, Apex, this weekend. Really enjoyed the trilogy, his concepts on humanity's evolution through technology were thorough, but not such that they hampered the flow of the story. I felt it could almost be a precursor to the Earth of Richard Morgan's Altered Carbon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished War Factory by Neal Asher. It wasn't as good as the first in the series, but was still a solid read.
    I finished listening to Shadow of the Torturer by Gene Wolfe. Didn't like it, nothing interesting happens at all.
    Started listening to Doomsday Book by Connie Willis, hasn't grabbed me yet.

About 40% through Dust of Dreams by Erikson. It's good, but heavy going.
    As a break I also read The Dungeoneers by Jeffrey Russel, it's a very light comedy/adventure, somewhat similar to Pratchett (but not at that level). It wasn't bad, but not amazing either.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

mcgovern wrote: »
    About 40% through Dust of Dreams by Erikson. It's good, but heavy going.

If memory serves, DoD (like the other Erikson ones) takes a while to get moving but then it's unstoppable. Stick with it! Erikson is my fave (though Robin Hobb is a strong contender - much more readable but still have depth - have finished the assassin trilogy and midway thru the first book of the Tawny Man trilogy, re-reading all in prep for the latest Fitz trilogy!:D)

Neil Gaiman - The Ocean At The End of The Lane

As it turns out, Neil Gaiman is just not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Trojan wrote: »
    Neil Gaiman - The Ocean At The End of The Lane

As it turns out, Neil Gaiman is just not for me.

I wouldn't judge Neil Gaiman on "The Ocean At The End of The Lane" assuming you haven't read much of his stuff. I like his work usually and didn't enjoy that book at all. Try Neverwhere or American Gods instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I started Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep the other day after finishing The Stars My Destination.

The Stars My Destination was a fairly enjoyable read for the most part, but the last quarter or so is just fantastic. Subsequent to finishing it I discovered that Damon Knight once called the end of the book "grotesquely moving" despite not being a fan overall, and I can only echo that. It's pretty short, well worth a spin.

On to "Do Androids...". Philip K Dick is one of these guys who has such a large catalogue of books with recognisable titles that I think I always found the prospect of starting them daunting, so this is my first time reading any of his stuff.

The fact that the wonderful Roger Zelazny gives a positively gushing introduction to the version on my kindle was a very good sign, and I'm loving it so far. I see the previous poster is suffering through the mind-bogglingly infantile prose of Neil Gaiman, well this couldn't be any farther to the opposite end of the spectrum. Brilliantly written and with an opening somewhat reminiscent of 'Fahrenheit 451' - no bad thing.

I'll report my conclusions later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

I adore Philip K Dick; Do Androids Sleep, Man In The High Castle and Martian Time Slip are essentials for any science fiction fan in my opinion. His style is clinical, expressive, subtle, psychedelic, hallucinogenic and restrained depending on the moment...great author.

Neil Gaiman's prose as "mind-bogglingly infantile" seems harsh to the point of being laughable...are you going for hyperbole or do you genuinely believe he's that bad?

I've enjoyed pretty much everything he's written. Not high sci-fi but a lot of the books were engaging and well put together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Just finished the Peter Grant series and waiting on the next title to be released. I bought the first book, Rivers of Blood mainly on the title and the artwork on the cover. Peter is a constable in the Met in London who has just finished his probationary period. He ends up being apprenticed to a wizard in the Met police force. There isn't too much magic and it's set in modern times. It's actually quite hilarious. Absolutely loved this series. It's a bit like The Bill (lots of "Oi! You're nicked my son", type language) crossed with a teeny tiny bit of Harry Potter. It's a very clever book without it being too hard to read.

New long Earth out on Friday, The Long Cosmos, didnt know it was coming, just Stephen Baxter this time obviously, RIP Terry Pratchett.

Amazon just sent me an email with a sh1tload of my favourite authors all releasing new books this Summer, by September there will be new Peter F Hamilton, Stephen Baxter, more Stephen Baxter, Alastair Reynolds and Ken Mcleod.

I was just wondering what happened to all the big names, they seemed to have disappeared.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

wyrn wrote: »
    Just finished the Peter Grant series and waiting on the next title to be released. I bought the first book, Rivers of Blood mainly on the title and the artwork on the cover. Peter is a constable in the Met in London who has just finished his probationary period. He ends up being apprenticed to a wizard in the Met police force. There isn't too much magic and it's set in modern times. It's actually quite hilarious. Absolutely loved this series. It's a bit like The Bill (lots of "Oi! You're nicked my son", type language) crossed with a teeny tiny bit of Harry Potter. It's a very clever book without it being too hard to read.

It's more an English Harry Dresdan for me. I've read the first 3 but couldn't get into the fourth.

I did read American Gods, and thought it was decent, but not mind blowing by any means. The Ocean At The End of The Lane was a type of YA-horror-fantasy and I found it difficult to get into, but easy to get out of! I really enjoyed his Pratchett colaboration, but probably because of Pratchett's influence. He writes well in the sense that his word choice and sentence structure is amazing, but I'm a plot guy, and I'm not keen on his - I think Gaiman's stuff just isn't for me at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Adventagious

Trojan wrote: »
    I did read American Gods, and thought it was decent, but not mind blowing by any means. The Ocean At The End of The Lane was a type of YA-horror-fantasy and I found it difficult to get into, but easy to get out of! I really enjoyed his Pratchett colaboration, but probably because of Pratchett's influence. He writes well in the sense that his word choice and sentence structure is amazing, but I'm a plot guy, and I'm not keen on his - I think Gaiman's stuff just isn't for me at all.

That's fair enough. I do think his style varies a fair bit between American Gods, Neverwhere and Anansi Boys, some if it is definitely less refined than others.

After a few abortive attempts starting new books i've settling on Blood Music by Greg Bear, which seems like some pretty promising sci fi.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

TBF I only read American Gods. I didn't hate it or anything. I actually found it very interesting at the start although I felt it kind of tailed away to nothing from half way on.

Whatever about that, and accepting that it was somewhat enjoyable, I found the prose extremely jarring in its 'simplicity', to use a nice word for it.

Honestly I suppose I could be mis-remembering it (although it's only been a couple of months) but my impression of it is that every second page I was grimacing at something on the order of 'the nice man asked the other man about the man in the blue car'.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Tried a couple of Neil Gaimans (including American Gods). Not for me either.

Got a notification of Anthony Ryan's latest earlier. Might be a return to form.
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/25972177-the-waking-fire

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

21% into "Valor" by John Gwynne, the second book in his "The Faithful and the Fallen" series. I'm enjoying this a lot, despite the fact that in many ways it's quite generic. The characters are very likeable however and the writing is strong.

ixoy wrote: »
    21% into "Valor" by John Gwynne, the second book in his "The Faithful and the Fallen" series. I'm enjoying this a lot, despite the fact that in many ways it's quite generic. The characters are very likeable however and the writing is strong.

Sounds very Terry Goodkind! Epic fantasy?

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Spent the last few months on a Sanderson binge.

All 6 mist born books and the secret history novella,

prefect state (interesting matrix-like concept)
    Legion (which was highly enjoyable and which I'd love to see in further novels)
    Shadows for Silence in the forest of hell.
    The emperor's soul.

I'm taking a break and going back to a favorite of mine, Russell Hoban. Reading the medusa frequency, his language and thoughts are exceptional.

Advertisement