Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

12% into "Ruin" by John Gwynne, the 3rd in his "The Faithful and the Fallen" series. Despite its somewhat clichéd premise, it continues to be an entertaining series. Gwynne's a good writer I feel and does a strong job of characterisation.

machalla wrote: »
    I'm currently muddling through the Three Body problem and finding it hard going at times. Possibly the translations or the differing mindset.
    Finished this and I agree it has an old-SF style. It's worth reading the translator Ken Liu's afterword where he discusses why he took a certain approach in translating, including deliberating making it a slightly unusual style rather than a more-Western one.
    I gave up on this 70% of the way through.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/22733729-the-long-way-to-a-small-angry-planet

A huge disappointment and I cannot understand how it has so much regard.
    I haven't read it but its author, Charlie Jane Anders, is very well respected in the online-SF community (she was the best thing about io9). I'd say it gives her an advantage.
    I also found Ancillary Justice another wildly overrated book.
    I liked the first book but the second was boring and I'm in no rush for the third. Yet the series keeps winning awards..
    In reserve I'm keeping American Gods (Neil Gaiman) as a book to read soon before this new tv series comes out and ruins it for me.
    So you ask about disappointing books and warnings? 'American Gods' fits the bill nicely for me. I really didn't think much of it at all. Wildly over-rated IMO.
    or fascinating ones that paid off in the end?
    I really enjoyed "Children of Time" recently - it was well thought out. Good enough to get an Arthur C. Clarke nomination anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I found Ancillary Justice unreadable.

Children of Time was a great book, refreshing to see it all wrapped up in one story instead of being dragged out into an unnecessary trilogy aswell. Tchaikovsky is a great storyteller who writes fast and you never hear anything about him compared to the likes of Brandon Sanderson.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

ixoy wrote: »
    I haven't read it but its author, Charlie Jane Anders, is very well respected in the online-SF community (she was the best thing about io9). I'd say it gives her an advantage.

No, that wasn't CJA (formerly of Io9). It was Becky Chambers.

CJA wrote All the birds in the sky

I haven't read it, I heard it was an ok young adult story which is mostly something I avoid these days as I am not in the demographic at all.

Io9 is a disaster zone since she left. I miss the monthly roundup of books to read. Not always universally great but there were usually a few that were worth a look from the list.
    So you ask about disappointing books and warnings? 'American

Gods' fits the bill nicely for me. I really didn't think much of it at all. Wildly over-rated IMO.

Thanks for this. I was afraid it might be but I'll give it a go sometime and not be overly disappointed if I find it overblown.
    I really enjoyed "Children of Time" recently - it was well thought out. Good enough to get an Arthur C. Clarke nomination anyway.

Excellent, thanks all for the suggestions.

One more suggestion City of Stairs. I just noticed today there are two more books in this series.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

One more suggestion City of Stairs. I just noticed today there are two more books in this series.
    Actually, this was going to be my other suggestion. I haven't read the recently-released sequel but the first was quite refreshing - mix of a lot of different genres. Dash of detective drama, fantasy, new-weird, etc. Not a million miles off Patrick Gladstone's Craft sequence in some ways (of which I've read two).
    Thargor wrote:
    Tchaikovsky is a great storyteller who writes fast and you never hear anything about him compared to the likes of Brandon Sanderson.
    It's up to the likes of ourselves to keep promoting him here. I think I got a couple of people to try the Apt series on here but I'm going to keep plugging him. The Apt series not only got released at regular, reliable intervals - it also ended well and felt like it had direction throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

So you ask about disappointing books and warnings? 'American Gods' fits the bill nicely for me. I really didn't think much of it at all. Wildly over-rated IMO.

For what it's worth I disagree, I enjoyed american gods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Fian wrote: »
    For what it's worth I disagree, I enjoyed american gods.

so did I. Also enjoyed Anansi boys which i just read on my holidays. Very quick read though.

finished children of Earth and Sky by GGK. Very disappointing tbh, and i hate being disappointed by his books as i rate most of them!!

Also read the new harry potter. Should make a very decent play tbh (if you're a fan of that world)!

Also rereading Jack the bodiless, which is part of the Julian May galactic milieu series. another great series tbh.

Also rereading Jack the bodiless, which is part of the Julian May galactic milieu series. another great series tbh.

A fantastic series, great pick for a re-read. It would lend itself well to all these TV companies looking for the next game of thrones epic drama clone.

A fantastic series, great pick for a re-read. It would lend itself well to all these TV companies looking for the next game of thrones epic drama clone.

read intervention as a teenager and loved it, then avidly waited for each new one to come out all through the 90s. Just as good on a reread.

Not sure the series would lend itself to TV tbh. Look at the descriptions of the alien races and there's one chance in 10000 they get those right without looking like plasticine extras in a poor 80s sci fi series, and the whole metaconcert, mind speech concept, does not lend itself to TV very well imo.

It would take a pretty brave producer/studio to take the series on!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I also found Ancillary Justice another wildly overrated book.
    Thargor wrote: »
    I found Ancillary Justice unreadable.
    Uh oh. Just started this late last night as it seems the best option in my kindle queue.

Now I'm going to be questioning whether I'm enjoying it or not for ages. :pac:

read intervention as a teenager and loved it, then avidly waited for each new one to come out all through the 90s. Just as good on a reread.

Not sure the series would lend itself to TV tbh. Look at the descriptions of the alien races and there's one chance in 10000 they get those right without looking like plasticine extras in a poor 80s sci fi series, and the whole metaconcert, mind speech concept, does not lend itself to TV very well imo.

It would take a pretty brave producer/studio to take the series on!

Think of the characters though. Aiken Drum, Felice, Mark Remilliard and the potential drama that ensues. Which for me is the best part of GOT tv series.

You have a point certainly where if it looks crap it will ruin it. Having said that many of the xmen films with telepaths and telekinetic powers worked quite well. Bigger budgets and limited screen time though.

The expanse tv series doesn't do much for me yet I love the books. Well, the first 3 books. The 4th and 5th were weak.

• Advertisement

Actually, this was going to be my other suggestion. I haven't read the recently-released sequel but the first was quite refreshing - mix of a lot of different genres. Dash of detective drama, fantasy, new-weird, etc. Not a million miles off Patrick Gladstone's Craft sequence in some ways (of which I've read two).

It's up to the likes of ourselves to keep promoting him here. I think I got a couple of people to try the Apt series on here but I'm going to keep plugging him. The Apt series not only got released at regular, reliable intervals - it also ended well and felt like it had direction throughout.
    Children of Time just won the Arthur C Clarke award according to his blog, he has a couple of other books I never heard of aswell, Im throwing them on the pile.

http://shadowsoftheapt.com/

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

I've finished Ringo/Correias, Monster Hunter Grunge (fun if you enjoy things blowing up with a bit of humour thrown in). Next is the latest from John Wright Swan Knight's Son, which I think is pitched to the juvenile market.

I really enjoyed those books, though it is decade(s?) rather than years since i read them.

Particularly interesting for an irish audience too, with the obvious analogs to the the fir bolg and the Tuatha De Dannann.

I really enjoyed those books, though it is decade(s?) rather than years since i read them.

Particularly interesting for an irish audience too, with the obvious references to the the fir bolg and the Tuatha De Dannann.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Children of Time just won the Arthur C Clarke award according to his blog, he has a couple of other books I never heard of aswell, Im throwing them on the pile.
    Just picked that up. 40% off at the moment on kindle.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Dades wrote: »
    Just picked that up. 40% off at the moment on kindle.

Just bought it as well :)

I absolutely love generation ships, Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo and Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson were two good ones I read recently, any others suggestions welcome, Ive read all the Ramas obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That Galactic Milieu series has such a great title I might have to give it a spin

keane2097 wrote: »
    That Galactic Milieu series has such a great title I might have to give it a spin

Start with intervention. Fantastic 1000+ intro which is such an easy read imo.

Start with intervention. Fantastic 1000+ intro which is such an easy read imo.

I'd tend to stick with the original series first. There is an element of discovery that Intervention might just spoil.

Since I read these back in the 90's though I stand to be corrected on this by those who have read it more recently.

• Advertisement

I absolutely love generation ships, Ship of Fools by Richard Paul Russo and Aurora by Kim Stanley Robinson were two good ones I read recently, any others suggestions welcome, Ive read all the Ramas obviously.

I was surprised by Aurora going the direction it did. It made an interesting argument whether you agree with it or not. Definitely worth a read. Must look up Ship of Fools.

Marrow by Robert Reed was an interesting take on the idea of a generation ship.

I'd tend to stick with the original series first. There is an element of discovery that Intervention might just spoil.

Since I read these back in the 90's though I stand to be corrected on this by those who have read it more recently.

Intervention spoils nothing and was written before the series itself. It really is just an introduction to the remillard family and the Galactic Milieu. It should be read first imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Queenalocin

Manach wrote: »
    I've read only one Rawn book, and that was one too many.
    ]

Really, I thoroughly enjoyed all of hers, especially the Glass Thorn series.

Intervention spoils nothing and was written before the series itself. It really is just an introduction to the remillard family and the Galactic Milieu. It should be read first imo.

I'm certain Intervention came out after the Exiles series.

It was the first of the Galactic Milieu series which are prequels to the Exiles series.

The Galactic Milieu series was published after the exiles series. And I just realised I read the Exiles series in the 80's:eek:

I was surprised by Aurora going the direction it did. It made an interesting argument whether you agree with it or not. Definitely worth a read. Must look up Ship of Fools.

Marrow by Robert Reed was an interesting take on the idea of a generation ship.
    Marrow looks perfect thanks.

I read this recently, New Moon (Luna Series) by Ian McDonald.

I believe its been optioned for TV already, with claims thats its GOT in space, for what thats worth.

It was dynastic family politics in the bleak ultra capitalist environment of the moon. Pay for air, data, water, food on a metered basis. Every breath costs you.

Its worth a look although it is just the start of a series. The second book in the series is due out this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,963 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

tor.com are giving away Malazan book 1 for free if anybody's interested. It says it's for USA and Canada only but it doesn't check. http://ebookclub.tor.com/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=na&utm_term=na-torcomsep16freeebook&utm_content=na-download-estorydownload&utm_campaign=torcomsep16freeebook

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just finished reading Children of Time this morning. A superb read, one of the best I've read lately. The conclusion is satisfying and it's pretty well paced throughout.

Must check out some of his other writing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The Red: First Light by Linda Nagata was pretty good, I'll definitely be continuing with the series. It's a blockbuster Sci-Fi set in the not too distant future.
    After that I read The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin. It didn't live upto the hype for me, seemed more like a (long) introduction to the world than a novel in its own right. It did remind me of Mistborn in some ways, maybe because of the magic system.
    Then read The Dark Forest by Lui Cixin. It's quite different from the first one (Three Body Problem) and doesn't really go back to revolutionary China like the first did. It had a real interesting take on Fermi Paradox at the end, but there wasn't enough in the rest of the book to keep my interest.
    After all the Apt mentions here recently, it reminded me to go back so I've started Salute the Dark.
    I'm also about 60% through The Paper Menagerie and Other Stories by Ken Liu. It's a collection of short stories with a Chinese background, it's pretty interesting, and the title story itself was very moving.

• Advertisement

The Red: First Light is on my list to read.

I just finished the Three Body Problem. The premise is interesting but the execution was very staid. Cultural differences and language differences I suspect didn't work that well for me. Characters had very little to distinguish and were quite unbelievable. That wasn't the point of the book. It might have worked better for me were it presented as a historical monologue by a narrator. Interesting to give a go though.

I'm reading Children of Time right now and enjoying the early stages so far.

Advertisement