Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

It might be a bit fantasy "light" for you, but I really like the Riyria Revelations and Chronicles series.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Trojan wrote: »
    Thanks folks. I've read everything mentioned, I think I should have been more specific :)

I guess I'm looking for new fantasy written in the last 2-3 years, something like that.

John Gwynne for some standard epic fantasy. 4 books so far in this series.
    Emperors blades by Brian Stavely some more standard epic fantasy but if a good quality like Gwynne. This is a trilogy and again I think it's finished.
    The lays of anuskha by Bradley p Beaulieu - great fantasy in an Russian flavoured setting. A trilogy and he's follows this up with a middle eastern tinged setting.
    The first book be Luke Scull - Abercrombie with magic and not as subversive.
    Red knight by miles Cameron.
    Brian McCellan - powder mage stuff.
    Naomi Novik - uprooted (excellent stuff)
    Kameron Hurley - bel dame apocrypha

Nice mix of stuff there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

wyrn wrote: »
    It might be a bit fantasy "light" for you, but I really like the Riyria Revelations and Chronicles series.

Nothing wrong with some light fantasy reading, as long as it's good. Kept meaning to pick this series up but soooo much to get through.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Nothing wrong with some light fantasy reading, as long as it's good. Kept meaning to pick this series up but soooo much to get through.

Have you ever read the Tamir Triad (trilogy) by Lynn Flewelling? not exactly new but written in the 00's.

great prophecy fantasy, slightly slow paced but well written and so easy to read.

I never see her mentioned, yet both here series are very good, and a bit different to most. Recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Reading Ancillary Justice while I'm waiting for Children of time to come in. Really liking Ancillary Justice even though it took me a few chapters to work out what the feck was going on, I like the writing style and the concept is really intersting.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Has anyone here read the Vampire Earth series? I really enjoyed them. Nothing ground breaking, but they move at a nice pace and the western angle was a nice addition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I recently got my hands on The Day Watch and the Twilight Watch (2nd and 3rd books in the Watch saga). I'm reluctant to start reading a series without reading the first book though. Does anyone who's read these books think it's vital to read the first book or could I start with the second?
    It's been a while but iirc, the first book sets up the whole society behind the series. I read the first book and really enjoyed it but lost interest halfway through the second.

I've just got a copy of the first one now, so I'm going to start it tonight. Did you finish the second? A book has to be truly awful for me not to finish it once I've started.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've just got a copy of the first one now, so I'm going to start it tonight. Did you finish the second? A book has to be truly awful for me not to finish it once I've started.

No, never finished it. Too many good books out there to persevere with one I'm not enjoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

I liked all 3.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just finished this one and enjoyed it a lot.Includes the devil,the illuminati and various ancient gods.
    Belcher takes a break from occult Westerns (Shotgun Arcana, 2014, etc.) with this blood-soaked contemporary urban fantasy featuring a gray-hat protagonist cut from the mold of John Constantine and Sandman Slim.
    Laytham Ballard’s granny intended him to be a Wisdom, a magic user who draws strength from his unity with nature and employs it to help and heal. But his great abilities led him to darker places, toward painful bargains with some unsavory entities and the use of his power for less noble purposes. Boj, an old friend and partner in crime, asks Ballard to fulfill his dying wish: to go after Dusan Slorzack, a magically gifted Serbian war criminal who murdered Boj's wife years ago.
    https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-reviews/rs-belcher/nightwise/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

david75 wrote: »
    I hoped as much. Gets good now on.

Your right, it does indeed get interesting...:)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just finished the first book in the inheritance trilogy. Well it's certainly different than anything I can remember reading. I'll start the second book later.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished Six of Crows; interesting characters with multiple plots but will read second even if some of the solutions were a bit deux ex at times. Finished second book The Red Queen's War series and started the third; still a tad to close to prince of thorns for my liking but I love the world.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Found that big illustrated "World of Ice and Fire" book again under my bed. Have been engrossed in it for the last three nights, and about a third of the way through.

Anyone read the whole thing? :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dades wrote: »
    Found that big illustrated "World of Ice and Fire" book again under my bed. Have been engrossed in it for the last three nights, and about a third of the way through.

I nearly bought the during the summer on holidays but I wouldn't have been able to fit it in the bag without leaving a few pairs of her shoes behind. I must put it on my Santa list!

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

33% into "Broken Homes", by Ben Aarvonitch, the 4th PC Grant book. Good fun so far, Grant being an enjoyable lead. Tying in nicely with some previous plot threads while still being an adventure on its own.

ixoy wrote: »
    33% into "Broken Homes", by Ben Aarvonitch, the 4th PC Grant book. Good fun so far, Grant being an enjoyable lead. Tying in nicely with some previous plot threads while still being an adventure on its own.

Is this one new??

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Is this one new??
    No, the new one (The Hanging Tree, book 6) is out on the 3rd November! I asked the author as there was a bit of confusion over the goodreads / amazon release dates.

I really like the Peter Grant series. I'd love for it to become a tv series.

wyrn wrote: »
    No, the new one (The Hanging Tree, book 6) is out on the 3rd November! I asked the author as there was a bit of confusion over the goodreads / amazon release dates.

I really like the Peter Grant series. I'd love for it to become a tv series.

That's mad. I thought I was caught up. Last one I read happens in the countryside and deals with evil faeries and their queen I think? Thought that was the fourth possible fifth book?

To the googlecave!!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Dades wrote: »

Yup, got it for Christmas last year and read it cover to cover. It reads largely like a history book though so it can be a bit tough going in places. Interesting diversion for a fan of the series.

• Advertisement

I'm on book two of Jemesins Inheritance trilogy. Love the way the second book jumps to a different point of view of the story. Was 5am before I realised I'd been up all night reading it!

Really recommend this trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Finished reading The Last Policeman by Ben Winters last night. Quite a good book concerning a police detective trying to solve a murder while an asteroid has been spotted heading for Earth. This is the first book in a trilogy and I'm looking forward to the other two books to see how the plot develops.

Mick.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Alliance of Shadows: conclusion of the Dead Six series. Lots of guns and violence with a touch of the supernatural - so far so good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just finished Iron Council by China Mieville, set in the Bas Lag world of Perdido street station and The Scar. Nowhere near as good as the other two books IMO, or his other stuff like The City and the City or RailSea, but would still try his other books as four great books out of five so far is still good going.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I'm on book two of Jemesins Inheritance trilogy. Love the way the second book jumps to a different point of view of the story. Was 5am before I realised I'd been up all night reading it!

Really recommend this trilogy.

Cheers, been on the lookout for something new and interesting. Just read the review on good reads and it looks like this is it.

smacl wrote: »
    Cheers, been on the lookout for something new and interesting. Just read the review on good reads and it looks like this is it.

The first one is all set up and can meander a bit. Could be a bit tighter. But as I said, the payoff at the end and th switch of perspective in the second is brilliant. Hope you enjoy it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

'The Fiends of Nightmaria' by Steven Erikson, the sixth novella in his 'The Tales of Bauchelain and Korbal Broach' series. It's very short (under 100 pages) but so far it's one his funniest works. Splashed out on the signed-300-copies-only version so, by page count, this is my most expensive book purchase ever by a long way!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

The first one is all set up and can meander a bit. Could be a bit tighter. But as I said, the payoff at the end and th switch of perspective in the second is brilliant. Hope you enjoy it.

I've just started reading it as it was recommended here. I'm enjoying the first book so far. Its got some decent imagination and characterisation so far. Thanks for the suggestion.

I finished City of Blades last week. Enjoyable but probably weaker than the first book in the series. It does extend the story from the previous book in the series, changing protagonists. If you enjoyed the first book then its worth a look. The premise felt a bit stretched by the end but still worthwhile.

Forgot to say I finished the second Inheritance trilogy book yesterday. Wraps up brilliantly. Jumped straight the third book and looks like it's gonna be even better again as it once again jumps perspective and this time it's one of my favourite characters POV. Gonna get stuck in over the weekend

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

i personally think book 2 is incredible and books 3- 4 are really good, but then i thought book 1 was amazing. If anything, book 2 certainly ties all the stories of book 1 together, as i recall that was an issue for you.

wow - just finished the second Hyperion book (?the fall of hyperion?) - blown away - the reason I didn't love the first book is that it was building up to the major event and never delivered... but the major event is the _entire_ second book. Absolutely loved it. They should have been one book - the split is artificial as the first one is not a stand-alone book.

So good. will read a bit more of Bad Science and then on to the 3rd Hyperion book!

Advertisement