Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

^^ Also would highly recommend Old Mans War. The first two books I thought were outstanding.

Agree that Lock In was good, but not great.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I see the latest expanse book is out (book 6). I thought the last one was very weak but I'll give it a go as the original trilogy was a good read.

Babylon's Ashes

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

machalla wrote: »
    Old mans war most likely. Its always an easy read and entertaining as well. I'd recommend them highly.
    Dades wrote: »
    ^^ Also would highly recommend Old Mans War. The first two books I thought were outstanding.

Good enough for me, just ordered for the Kindle.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

20% into "Apex", the final book in Ramez Naam's Nexus trilogy. It's a good read so far - great pacing and some neat ideas as to where trans/post- humanism might go. It's a bit like an airport thriller series for cyber geeks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Hang on

Lads

They're making a tv series of Patrick rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles!!!
    Is this why the last book never appeared???

https://www.facebook.com/empiremagazine/posts/10154844186422708

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I think his mental health problems were also a factor.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

david75 wrote: »
    Hang on

Lads

They're making a tv series of Patrick rothfuss' Kingkiller Chronicles!!!
    Is this why the last book never appeared???

https://www.facebook.com/empiremagazine/posts/10154844186422708
    Looking forward to his, hrm, "education", scenes in the demon world...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Thargor wrote: »
    I think his mental health problems were also a factor.

Is that not Scott Lynch? Never heard that Rothfuss had the same delays issues as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Stiger's Tigers, (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer Book1).

As above, it's a bit of Roman Legions with added Elves and possibly Dwarves. Short enough but an enjoyable read. I will be downloading further books in this series:)

Thanks read it and the next two on the strength of this, easy to read, and your right is roman legions in fantasy setting but its entertaining

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Decided to finally finish Wheel of Time series. Started at book 4, so it'll be ages before i'm done, but i feel like i owe it to the series. It was pretty much my intro to epic fantasy, and i only got to book 9 originally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Kiith wrote: »
    Decided to finally finish Wheel of Time series. Started at book 4, so it'll be ages before i'm done, but i feel like i owe it to the series. It was pretty much my intro to epic fantasy, and i only got to book 9 originally.
    Be warned book 10 and 11 will be the low point of the slog through it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Is that not Scott Lynch? Never heard that Rothfuss had the same delays issues as well.

Hasn't been mentioned officially anywhere I've seen, but that'd be my speculation. Fear of failure.

Nody wrote: »
    Be warned book 10 and 11 will be the low point of the slog through it all.

Much easier now that the 4-5 wait fir them to come out is gone.

Me before Crossroads of a twilight:

This will be a return to form! The whole Perrin/faile issue should be over and wow that ending in Winter's Heart! Where will Jordan go with this now? Glad the long wait is over.
    Now to start reading...

A few days later:

Ah for fcuk sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

Old mans war most likely. Its always an easy read and entertaining as well. I'd recommend them highly.

Anything I've read of his I've enjoyed.

If you like well written military sci-fi Marko Kloos is well worth a look for his frontlines series.

Thanks picked up and really enjoying it so far ( book1 in the frontline series)

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Much easier now that the 4-5 wait fir them to come out is gone.

Me before Crossroads of a twilight:

This will be a return to form! The whole Perrin/faile issue should be over and wow that ending in Winter's Heart! Where will Jordan go with this now? Glad the long wait is over.
    Now to start reading...

A few days later:

Ah for fcuk sake.

I think book 10 is where i stopped last time. I remember
    Egwene getting captured at the end i think and loads of stuff with Faile being carried on some Aiel's shoulders.
    That's about it :P

The Malazan series took over my life for a few weeks after i read the first one. Have to go back and finish that now as well.

Kiith wrote: »
    I think book 10 is where i stopped last time. I remember
    Egwene getting captured at the end i think and loads of stuff with Faile being carried on some Aiel's shoulders.
    That's about it :P

The Malazan series took over my life for a few weeks after i read the first one. Have to go back and finish that now as well.

That was literally, the most underwhelming spoiler ever written on the Internet.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I'm still waiting to get some free time to dig into Malazan series. I hadn't heard of it until someone in here put up that Gardens of the Moon was on sale in Dealz :D Still haven't started it because someone else said there are a lot of characters and I wanted to have a good run with the book, not just dip in and out. It's been that long since I bought the hardback in Dealz, that I also bought the ebook version when it was on sale. Hoping to finally start the series over Christmas.

wyrn wrote: »
    I'm still waiting to get some free time to dig into Malazan series. I hadn't heard of it until someone in here put up that Gardens of the Moon was on sale in Dealz :D Still haven't started it because someone else said there are a lot of characters and I wanted to have a good run with the book, not just dip in and out.

It's not that bad, just make sure you get a run at it - clear your schedule so you've got nothing on that decade, and keep 3 or 4 foolscap notebooks and a multipack of Bic biros so you can keep track of who's who.

Gardens definitely throws you in the deep end, but it's one of my favourite books of all time. I remember being on a train from Carlow to Newbridge while reading the last 100 or so pages, and missing my stop because i was so engrossed. I wasn't even mad, as it meant i had plenty of time to finish the book. It's an excellent book.

I was wandering the shelves of a bookshop yesterday and came across various authors I've been intending to read "someday".

Lucius Shepperd

Christopher Priest

Jeff Vandermeer

Does anyone have any particular recommendations for books from these authors?

Or who have you been meaning to get around reading that you just haven't quite managed yet.

• Advertisement

Priest wrote The Prestige which was a pretty cool movie, but I haven't read the novel. One for The List!

I started book 1 of Vandermeer's Southern Reach series but I couldn't really get into that and shelved it. It seemed a bit slow moving, more atmospheric than plot-driven, and I like me a good fast-paced plot. I recommend reading the Kindle free sample to find out if it's your kinda thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I read The Inverted World by Christopher Priest and found it very tough going and didn't like the ending.
    Also read Annihilation (Southern Reach, #1) by Vandermeer. I thought this was also tough going (for different reasons) but I'd recommend it over The Inverted World (unless very sciencey sci-fi is your thing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Im on an extended holiday at the moment. Plenty of time to catch up on some reading . Finally got around to The Princess Bride, really enjoyed it. Read some Harry Bosch (Michael Connolly) books , i'm currently reading The Psychopath test by Jon Ronson, its grand. Im planning on reading the complete Dresden files (only ever listened to the audiobooks, highly recommended) and if i dont read the Mazalan books over the next five weeks i never will. Im getting through a book a day and its the thing that my dreams are made of.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Currently reading Sorcerer to the Crown by Zen Cho and it's an almost perfect holiday read, nice pace, well written and fairly engaging. It's not really a page turner - more a gentle amble.

Re-read The Fifth Season by NK Jemisin followed by the second in the series The Obelisk Gate. Both awesome books, intelligently written without being in the least intimidating. In short - go read both of them over Christmas and you can thank me in the New Year :)

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Im on an extended holiday at the moment. Plenty of time to catch up on some reading . Finally got around to The Princess Bride, really enjoyed it. Read some Harry Bosch (Michael Connolly) books , i'm currently reading The Psychopath test by Jon Ronson, its grand. Im planning on reading the complete Dresden files (only ever listened to the audiobooks, highly recommended) and if i dont read the Mazalan books over the next five weeks i never will. Im getting through a book a day and its the thing that my dreams are made of.

Living the dream!

I wouldn't wish the Malazan on you but you may enjoy more than I did with any luck.

The Dresden files are great. Check out the spin-off stories as well (Sidejobs, Backup). Even the graphic novels aren't bad. I miss the old covers for the books though. The American covers are awful.

I just had a thought, any Christmas themed Sci-fi/Fantasy books anyone can recommend? The only one that springs to mind for me is Arthur C. Clarkes "The Star" short story and its a bit depressing really.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

vasch_ro wrote: »
    Thanks read it and the next two on the strength of this, easy to read, and your right is roman legions in fantasy setting but its entertaining
    I have read and listened to the first three in the series and found them excellent. The prequel to the series, Stiger, is just released in time for my Christmas time off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just started The handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood. I know little of Margaret Atwood except she is adamant she doesn't write science fiction. So far it's coming across as dystopian science fiction, I'm enjoying it but only 10% or so into it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Manach wrote: »
    I have read and listened to the first three in the series and found them excellent. The prequel to the series, Stiger, is just released in time for my Christmas time off.
    Downloaded last night. Thanks for that, I didn't know it had been released.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Living the dream!

I wouldn't wish the Malazan on you but you may enjoy more than I did with any luck.

The Dresden files are great. Check out the spin-off stories as well (Sidejobs, Backup). Even the graphic novels aren't bad. I miss the old covers for the books though. The American covers are awful.

I just had a thought, any Christmas themed Sci-fi/Fantasy books anyone can recommend? The only one that springs to mind for me is Arthur C. Clarkes "The Star" short story and its a bit depressing really.

I'm reading Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather, which is somewhat Christmas (Hogswatch) themed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Just started The handmaids tale by Margaret Atwood. I know little of Margaret Atwood except she is adamant she doesn't write science fiction. So far it's coming across as dystopian science fiction, I'm enjoying it but only 10% or so into it.

I think she is less adamant about that nowadays then she had been. She labels it "social science fiction" or "speculative fiction." She seems anxious to make it clear that her writing does not involve spaceships etc.

The Oryx and Crake/maddadam/flood trilogy is also worth a read if you enjoy handmaids tale. in fact pretty much anything by Margaret Atwood is worth a read. the blind assassin is great.

Advertisement