Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I'm taking a plunge on The Witcher books (Andrzej Sapkowski) just to see if they are any good. Knocked down in price on the kindle store at the moment.

Maybe I'll dig out the Hogfather too since I haven't read that since it came out originally.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

finished rereading diamond mask, the 2nd in the galactic milieu trilogy. Such a good read.

now about 150 pages into the inheritance trilogy. this really has bags of potential. really enjoying it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

I'm just about to start Gardens of the moon, im fairly sure i read it when it first came out. This series has been bothering me for years, im a big fantasy reader and have read all the great series. ill either be sucked in and read them all in the next week or two or i'll never try them again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I've just finished Steiner which I really enjoyed, an enjoyable pace in the book though they are too short which is a pity.

Onto Hunting the Eagles by Ben Kane which is more of an historical than a fantasy novel but in much the same category as Steiner. It's the story of an excursion across the Rhine to recover 3 lost Eagles by Romans ambushed in the forests. It's enjoyably simple for a Christmas read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

I've just finished Steiner which I really enjoyed, an enjoyable pace in the book though they are too short which is a pity.

Onto Hunting the Eagles by Ben Kane which is more of an historical than a fantasy novel but in much the same category as Steiner. It's the story of an excursion across the Rhine to recover 3 lost Eagles by Romans ambushed in the forests. It's enjoyably simple for a Christmas read.

Yep I enjoyed Ben Kane in the past,and I still have a couple of his books to read.If you like Ancient Rome,make sure to read Eagle in the Snow by Wallace Breem,or anything by Harry's Sidebottom.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

finished rereading diamond mask, the 2nd in the galactic milieu trilogy. Such a good read.

now about 150 pages into the inheritance trilogy. this really has bags of potential. really enjoying it so far.

Inheritance trilogy was my favourite read this year. Really worth your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

There are 2 fantasy and one sci-fi trilogies called Inheritance, which one are ye recommending?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inheritance_Trilogy

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Thargor wrote: »
    There are 2 fantasy and one sci-fi trilogies called Inheritance, which one are ye recommending?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inheritance_Trilogy

I'm talking about NK Jemisins inheritance trilogy

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Not quite SciFi, but the One second After book by Forschen. It is about the after-effects of an EMP attack on the US. Rather grim so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Read the world walker which was great. I'm getting a little tired of typos and grammar issues in kindle books though.
    Read kate elliott's black wolves book 1, it's brilliant like her stuff usually is
    Read time rats as well, very entertaining

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Nocturnes 2 by John Connolly and then Margaret Atwoods Handmaiden Tale

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

60% into "The Alloy of Law" by Brandon Sanderson, which I picked up cheaply in the eBook sale there. It's good light-reading and the allomancy / feruchemistry magic system is one of my favourites of any fantasy world - makes for some good action scenes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Manach wrote: »
    Not quite SciFi, but the One second After book by Forschen. It is about the after-effects of an EMP attack on the US. Rather grim so far.
    Let us know how it goes. I like the premise but very mixed reviews on Goodreads.

Last great apocalyptic novel I read was Lucifer's Hammer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

Dades wrote: »
    Let us know how it goes. I like the premise but very mixed reviews on Goodreads.

Last great apocalyptic novel I read was Lucifer's Hammer.

One Second After is like Lucifer's Hammer but instead of concentrating on the run-up and the immediate aftermath, it concentrates on the first year after the American apocalypse.

I quite enjoyed it, is a reasonable depiction of what the consequences of a major EMP strike would be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

One Second After is like Lucifer's Hammer but instead of concentrating on the run-up and the immediate aftermath, it concentrates on the first year after the American apocalypse.

I quite enjoyed it, is a reasonable depiction of what the consequences of a major EMP strike would be.

As mentioned, it started out grim and just got progressively darker. As mentioned it is very like Lucifer's Hammer (same isolated valley but set in Carolina instead of California under attack) but with the EMP pulse plot the same type of technical solutions to the problems that Niven/Pournelle wrote about could not be implemented. Instead it is a world that is catapulted in a pre-electric world without the institutional knowledge needed to maintain the basics of society.
    Overall a 4/5 star read.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Also read A Darker Shade of Magic by Schwab - man it was great
    Gonna read the next one

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

Re-reading Aldous Huxley, brave new world :-) its a classic, then on to some Asimov....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

bluewolf wrote: »
    Gonna read the next one

I just got that today! Looking forward to it. Also got Recurve (Shannon Mayer), The Raven Cycle (Maggie Stiefvater) & The Buried Giant (Kazuo Ishiguro)

Have just finished Kvothe and his adventures, so now I play the waiting game for the last book. Before that I did the Old Kingdom books which were excellent, only read the first three but I'm debating whether or not to read the next ones as the reviews are a bit mixed though I'll probably end up reading them eventually.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I'm still reading A Fire On The Deep several weeks later. I've been doing a lot of travelling so have been dipping in and out of it.

The kindle is telling me I'm half way through now (it must be a very long book) and despite my slow progress with it I think it's seriously good.

There are several things about it that I find quite unique, and it's just very compelling. The 'baddie' element of the story has a real menacing feel to it particularly.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Started on Priestess of the White (Age of the Five book 1); only 60 odd pages in so can't say to much yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

36% into 'Nod' by Adrian Barnes. The premise is what happens when nearly everyone in the world can no longer sleep. It's a dystopian novel, fairly grim so far and unlikely to get any better. Interesting concept although - as often with these novels - I do wonder if law and order would break down so quickly (and of course what happened to the rest of the world).

ixoy wrote: »
    36% into 'Nod' by Adrian Barnes. The premise is what happens when nearly everyone in the world can no longer sleep. It's a dystopian novel, fairly grim so far and unlikely to get any better. Interesting concept although - as often with these novels - I do wonder if law and order would break down so quickly (and of course what happened to the rest of the world).
    Nice one, never heard of it thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

ixoy wrote: »

actually shortlisted that one when in a bookstore last week. Let us know how you get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just lashed through Gardens Of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates. Really , really enjoyed them. Its a series i've been putting off for years. Going to take a break and read Underground Airlines by Ben Winters, its an alt history where slavery is still happening in some us states, gotten great reviews. Ill get back into Memories of Ice after that.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Just lashed through Gardens Of the Moon and Deadhouse Gates. Really , really enjoyed them. Its a series i've been putting off for years. Going to take a break and read Underground Airlines by Ben Winters, its an alt history where slavery is still happening in some us states, gotten great reviews. Ill get back into Memories of Ice after that.
    Nice one another good rec Id never heard of there, I absolutely love segregation/slavery novels, theres something absolutely riveting about them for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Those both sound good.

Not a book but George RR Martin will be on the South Bank show on Sky Atlantic at 8pm tonight.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Not a book but George RR Martin will be on the South Bank show on Sky Atlantic at 8pm tonight.
    *Cue angry shouts of "You should be at home working on The Winds of Winter!"*

Dades wrote: »
    *Cue angry shouts of "You should be at home working on The Winds of Winter!"*

HE'S NOT YOUR BIT*H.... :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

bluewolf wrote: »
    Gonna read the next one

Thanks its 1 dollar 52 cents on amazon.com for the kindle edition, worth a read at that price !!

Advertisement