Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Not a book but George RR Martin will be on the South Bank show on Sky Atlantic at 8pm tonight.
    Dades wrote: »
    *Cue angry shouts of "You should be at home working on The Winds of Winter!"*
    HE'S NOT YOUR BIT*H.... :pac:
    Was he asked about it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thargor wrote: »
    Was he asked about it?

Yeah.

It'll be out when it's out.

Apparently Neil Gaiman was asked why GRRM hadn't it finished and told the reporter that GRRM isn't your bit*h and people will just have to suck it up and wait.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Dades wrote: »
    Last great apocalyptic novel I read was Lucifer's Hammer.

Read The end of the world running club and Cyberstorm recently enough, both readable and quite enjoyable but neither hugely memorable. Just finished Old Man's war on strength of recommendations here, thoroughly enjoyed it and halfway into the next in the series. Very reminiscent of Haldeman for sure, and the characters are a bit two dimensional, but great fun and very engrossing for all that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

actually shortlisted that one when in a bookstore last week. Let us know how you get on.
    Finished 'Nod'. It wasn't what I hoped for in that I'd have liked a proper look at the fallout, on a bigger scale, than what I got. Instead it's a personal journey of the narrator, one who doesn't really ask the why / what of what's happening but instead explores more philosophical concepts. I can see what the author is going for - and it's clever in its symbolism, use of etymology, etc. - but I had looked for something a bit more straight forward. Closest I guess would be 'The Road' albeit without that novel's narrative style. Approach with an understanding of what you get.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Currently into the 3rd book of Old Man's War based on recommendations here. Very enjoyable reading.

Also read The Girl With All The Gifts recently - also very much enjoyed, but the ending did kind wrapped up quickly. Definitely a candidate for "tough teenage girl in dystopian future" movie

Bookmarking a good few recommendations here for later reading

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Finished Farlander (https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/8698731-farlander)

Good book, starting the second.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

dudara wrote: »
    Currently into the 3rd book of Old Man's War based on recommendations here. Very enjoyable reading.

Also read The Girl With All The Gifts recently - also very much enjoyed, but the ending did kind wrapped up quickly. Definitely a candidate for "tough teenage girl in dystopian future" movie

Bookmarking a good few recommendations here for later reading

It is a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Most of the way thru Queen of Fire (Ravens's Shadow trilogy) - really enjoying the series overall. Blitzed through the first two books but this one seems to be taking longer... partly because i'm not quite as enthusiastic about it and waiting to move on to Ready Player One...

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

nhur wrote: »
    Most of the way thru Queen of Fire (Ravens's Shadow trilogy) - really enjoying the series overall. Blitzed through the first two books but this one seems to be taking longer... partly because i'm not quite as enthusiastic about it and waiting to move on to Ready Player One...

I'm the same. Although I haven't got anything lined up for after it.

have you tried the Sky Lords trilogy... more sci-fi than epic fantasy... though they are certainly epic!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

have you tried the Sky Lords trilogy... more sci-fi than epic fantasy... though they are certainly epic!

Thanks, I'll look into them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished The Hogfather (ok, but not spectacular) and Death's End (too much going on, the scale is too big so it doesn't get to spend time on the interesting parts).
    Also read The Ice Dragon by George R.R. Martin which is a nice children's story.
    I'm now about halfway through Half a War by Joe Ambercrombie, which is the last in the trilogy. Took me awhile to figure out who everyone was again, but moving along nicely now.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

vasch_ro wrote: »
    Thanks its 1 dollar 52 cents on amazon.com for the kindle edition, worth a read at that price !!
    Definitely.

I read book 2.

Dying for him to publish book 3 now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just started Stranger of Tempest by Tom Lloyd. I think it was recommended by someone here. I'm enjoying it so far, 3 chapters in.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

... partly because i'm not quite as enthusiastic about it and waiting to move on to Ready Player One...

Ready Player One is a total blast. If you get a chance to play a few retro arcade games beforehand or have done so in the past, you'll enjoy it even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,043 ✭✭✭Wabbit Ears

half way through the blood mirror ( lightbringer 4) by Brent Weeks.

This instalment seems to borrow some magic systems from Robin Hobbs which is disappointing as its main strength was its completely Unique and original system of Using light in a physical form crafted by will.

Will probably read the last in Justin Cronins passage series next

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I finally got around to finishing off Bablyons Ashes (Book 6 of the expanse).

It was another slow burner in the series till late in the book. One problem is remembering many of the minor characters and their motivations or reasons for appearing again. We see one minor character we haven't seen since the second book.

There is one somewhat heartbreaking piece midway through. This dealt with one characters loss very eloquently in a couple of pages. That stood out for me.

I'll continue reading the series but its been weak since the initial trilogy concluded. Not overly memorable but enjoyable all the same.

I would certainly recommend the first 3 books if you haven't read them. Much better than the associated TV series "The Expanse".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Just finished Memories of Ice, it was outstanding, blew my mind. After reading the first 3 Mazalan books in a row I'm going to take a break and read A Darker Shade Of Magic by V. E Schwab, it seems to have gotten a good reception on here.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Memories of Ice was up there with the best in the series IMO.

Andy-Pandy wrote: »
    Just finished Memories of Ice, it was outstanding, blew my mind. After reading the first 3 Mazalan books in a row I'm going to take a break

Don't stop!! keep going - I found it tough to get back after taking a break... ended up having to start the Malazan series all over again!

I'm about a third into Ready Player One atm - really enjoying it. It's total 80s nostalgia :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭Raging_Ninja

machalla wrote: »
    I would certainly recommend the first 3 books if you haven't read them. Much better than the associated TV series "The Expanse".

Interestingly I find the opposite - I think it makes a better TV series than book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,848 ✭✭✭Andy-Pandy

Don't stop!! keep going - I found it tough to get back after taking a break... ended up having to start the Malazan series all over again!

I'm about a third into Ready Player One atm - really enjoying it. It's total 80s nostalgia :)

Dont worry, ive still got 3 weeks of my holiday left. Plenty of time to get back into them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Just about to finish Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence - a nice story. page turner.

Might go back to the next Caine Book (stover) which is a bit heavier or just burn through this trilogy, it's very easy to read. So would recommend if you want a good story to read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

lordgoat wrote: »
    Just about to finish Prince of Thorns - Mark Lawrence - a nice story. page turner.
    Recommend you finish the series; the second stand alone series in the world by him is weaker but readable.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

The six of crows.

Good so far

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Broke my kindle yesterday, new one ordered but not due for delivery until Wednesday.

Grumble Grumble.

(re)Reading the bonehunters in paperback atm, I had it on my kindle but paperback was also on the shelf, so at least I have something to read while kindle is delivered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Bonehunters I think might be the best one.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

david75 wrote: »
    The six of crows.

Good so far
    Be warned it really goes extreme deux ex in the second half. Not necessary telling a poor story but you'll need to stretch your imagination quite a bit for things to fit in the universe in general but still a good book.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

54% into 'Wrath' by John Gwynne, the fourth and final book in his 'The Faithful and the Fallen' series. Plot isn't anything original but the writing is well above average meaning I'm more invested in the characters. It won't set the world alight but it's definitely an enjoyable series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Just finished long way to a small angry planet. Fairly well written, reasonably smart, decent world building but...the author rather lashes the reader with her opinions, there is effectively zero character development other than that which is necessary to bolster the authors opinions and the science is definitely lacking from the "science fiction"

Having said all that I kind of agree with most of the authors opinions which made this an easy read, albeit fierce predictable. Switch the brain off and enjoy the lightness of it all

Advertisement