Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

bluewolf wrote: »
    I love Sanderson and almost everything he writes, and I liked it well enough, but maybe not top of the list
    Elantris was good

I enjoyed Warbreaker for what it was - an early work and showing promise (his magic systems and imagination) while being a long way from his best. The annotations are very interesting and worthwhile for fans or writers to read.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

lordgoat wrote: »
    <re the magicians>
    Sounds like the TV show nailed it.
    :D:D:D:D

Watching it atm with the wife. It's terrible and derivative and I can't stand most of the characters... and yet it hits the balance between light and heavy watching that two sleep deprived people need, while simultaneously playing games on their phones after the kids go to bed! lol

Started reading Asimov... read a bit about where to start and am starting which his own suggestion of 'The Complete Robot' - short stories that are absolutely fantastic - though i'd prefer a long story as I need the emotional investment to keep me reading...

nhur wrote: »
    Started reading Asimov... read a bit about where to start and am starting which his own suggestion of 'The Complete Robot' - short stories that are absolutely fantastic - though i'd prefer a long story as I need the emotional investment to keep me reading...

The Caves of Steel
    The Naked Sun
    The Robots of Dawn
    Robots and Empire

Off you go! Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Trojan wrote: »
    I just started this recently, enjoyed Altered Carbon, just onto the second one. His stuff reminds me of Charles Stross (Glasshouse and Iron Sunrise Stross, not the Laundry Stross).

Altered Carbon is excellent. Not sure I'd recommend the rest of that series though Trojan. It doesn't really keep up to the quality of AC. Black Man and Market Forces are stronger (though not as strong as AC in my opinion).
    nhur wrote: »

Well worth reading though I'm not convinced about that read order - a lot of the later publication date books are kind of extraneous linking books where as the older books are the classics. Foundation in particular is worth reading (though if you like long form, be aware it's a sequence of stories that jump forward in time long periods and frequently have new characters with older stories as history and setting).

I'm currently splitting my time between reading the Mistborn trilogy (on the last book at the minute) by Brandon Sanderson and "Fleet of Worlds" by Larry Niven & Ed Lerner. Both are grand but I'm not massively impressed by either. "Fleet of Worlds" doesn't feel like it adds anything to Known Space really & Mistborn feels a bit like reading notes someone wrote about an RPG they ran.

L wrote: »
    Altered Carbon is excellent. Not sure I'd recommend the rest of that series though Trojan. It doesn't really keep up to the quality of AC. Black Man and Market Forces are stronger (though not as strong as AC in my opinion).

You're right there - I just finished Broken Angels and it's ok but not up to the same standard. I think he tried to do too much in it, made it too fast paced and it got away from him. Pity because it could be a classic. is it worthwhile going on with Woken Furies or should I try Black Man and Market Forces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

You're right there - I just finished Broken Angels and it's ok but not up to the same standard. I think he tried to do too much in it, made it too fast paced and it got away from him. Pity because it could be a classic. is it worthwhile going on with Woken Furies or should I try Black Man and Market Forces?

I'd say skip Woken Furies for now - I thought it was the weakest of the three. Either of Black Man or Market Forces would be better depending on what you feel like. Market Forces is very much it's own thing - financial trading meets Mad Max. Black Man is a bit more like a different take on some of Altered Carbon's ideas.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I enjoyed Warbreaker for what it was - an early work and showing promise (his magic systems and imagination) while being a long way from his best. The annotations are very interesting and worthwhile for fans or writers to read.

I do love his magic systems and imagination, seriously impressive, and I liked the whole shades of colour thing

bluewolf wrote: »
    I do love his magic systems and imagination, seriously oppressive, and I liked the whole shades of colour thing

If you haven't tried it, you might like Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series (starts with The Black Prism). Far superior to his Night Angel series IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

If you haven't tried it, you might like Brent Weeks' Lightbringer series (starts with The Black Prism). Far superior to his Night Angel series IMO.

I love that series!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished Trudi Canvan's Priestess of White trilogy; completely new take on the world creation (no elfs, dwarfs etc.) but the whole series goes at breath taking speed as well. Would love to see her return to the world in general and flesh it out more both historically and what's to come so to speak.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Just finished reapers gale, decided to take a short break before next malazan book so am now reading "sharp ends" - short stories by Joe abercrombie. Nice change of pace and decent book so far.

i'm going to stick with the asimov order... and i'll get to the longer stories eventually!! cheers for the suggestions though

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Senlin Ascends which was disappointing in the end. It is well written, but I didn't really like any of the characters and it was quite a slow burner.
    I also finished Synners which was actually not too bad once I gave it a proper chance.
    Followed that up with Crux by Ramez Naam. It took a little while to get going, and is perhaps not quite as good as the first in the series, but it is really good. Series is about a new drug that basically creates a computer network in your brain. With the way things are going in USA lately politics wise, it is especially relevant I think.
    After that it was They Mostly Come Out At Night by Patrick Benedict. It's kind of a dark fairy tale, but quite predictable. Don't think I'll bother with the series.
    Now reading Mother of Eden by Chris Bennett, its the second in a series about humans who are marooned on a very strange world, set several generations after the first in the series (itself set several generations after the initial crash landing). It's different and quite good, definitely worth a read.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

I finished off Fields of Fire Frontlines 5 the other day. As ever an easy read that mostly kept bouncing along at a decent pace. I would say the first 50% was a bit slower than typical for this series. Not too much navel gazing but still contemplative and the exact opposite of gung-ho military fantasy. I look forward to the story progressing even further. This one has been a milestone in the series in terms of events.

I'm still reading the witcher books (slow going at the moment).

I've noticed The Legends of the First Empire "epic" fantasy series seems to be getting good reviews. Any opinions would be welcome on it before I waste time on it.

I hate these plodding never ending series, with readers needing to take notes to track plot and characters. If its any good I might take the plunge. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

I just finished "The Power" by Naomi Alderman. It's a semi-Margaret Atwood type novel where young women start to develop the ability to generate electrical power. Society changes rapidly as women learn how to fight back against men. I really found it quite thought provoking

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1) by Sebastien de Castell; got another couple of books in the series I'll be going through in time.

Nody wrote: »
    Finished Traitor's Blade (Greatcoats, #1) by Sebastien de Castell; got another couple of books in the series I'll be going through in time.

I liked that one but haven't gotten any of the rest of the series yet.

Finished Mother of Eden. It wasn't bad but lacked the originality of the first in the series.
    Started Sharp Ends, collection of short stories by Joe Ambercrombie. Didn't want to get into a full novel before Infinity Engine is out tomorrow.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Finished the six or crows and the crooked kingdom by Leigh Bardugo.
    Really intricate plot almost like some Oceans 11 elements to it.
    Really well written and fast paced enough, again kinda like it's pitching for a tv or movie adaptation. My pal told me it's actually for a YA audience. I didn't pick up on that but if it is it makes some bold welcome choices.

Worth looking up.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finished The Obelisk Gate and thoroughly enjoyed it, though like the first book it finishes on a bit of a cliff hanger. I've pre-ordered the third in the series but it isn't due out until August, so will take a bit of a break from Jamesin. I've just bought Gaiman's Norse Mythology so looking forward to getting my teeth into that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

36% into "Full Fathom Five" by Max Gladstone, the third book in his Craft sequence. I really like the world he's created, the concepts of soul stuff and having leads be the likes of business transactors working alongside gods. It's very refreshing. This book has a Hawaii feel to it so that's three in a row bringing innovative ideas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I'm reading 'The First Law' series, currently about halfway through The Blade Itself. I was 90% sure I'd read it before but decided to reread it and have just realised that I only read the first few chapters and then ut it down and forgot about it so am really enjoying it!
    I've no idea why my brain was so certain that I'd the series read! :pac:

Just started A Darker shade of magic by VE Schwab

Only one chapter in and it's intriguing already :) hope it keeps up.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

david75 wrote: »
    Just started A Darker shade of magic by VE Schwab

Only one chapter in and it's intriguing already :) hope it keeps up.

This is my next book to read. I see its being turned into a tv series.

Heffoman wrote: »

The second book in the series is quite slow, not much happens until the very end, haven't read the final one yet.

Finished Infinity Engine, it was good but didn't go the way I'd have liked.
    I was hoping for a big battle between Penny Royal and The Brockle, but it didn't quite play out that way. It also got a bit confusing by the end, and I'm not sure what exactly happened :o

About halfway through Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2) by Sebastien de Castell; the story has taken an interesting twist and if you enjoyed the first I'd say you'll enjoy the second book (based on what I've read so far) and as a fantasy novel without orcs, elves etc. I'd recommend the series so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,766 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I started The Girl with All the Gifts by M.R. Carey over the weekend, so far it's a gripping post apocalyptic tale.

Heffoman wrote: »

That's interesting. A lot of the books I've read recently are really obvious in trying to pitch for a tv show or film. This one didnt feel like it was at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Just started Dune!

3 hours in at the moment.

Dune series is interesting alright... I liked them a lot though i'm not evangelical about them like a lot of ppl were to me!! :)

almost finished Caves of Steel by Asimov. Ripping through it - it's a great read

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Just started Dune!

3 hours in at the moment.

Best of luck with it. The only problem is that it may seem like you've seen the story or plot before. Mainly due to it being subsumed into a lot of future writing. The first book is a classic, the second being interesting in seeing where it all leads to. I don't remember much of the later series of books. I've heard that the prequel Dune books written by the authors son are not up to much though.

Hope you enjoy it anyway.

Advertisement