Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

machalla wrote: »
    I've heard that the prequel Dune books written by the authors son are not up to much though.
    Well by comparison it's like taking the storyline of GRRM (original Dune) in terms of story line, character development and complexity vs. reading a children's book where every character is exactly the same from start to finish with zero complexity, development and about as many surprising story plots as an episode of Power Rangers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

machalla wrote: »
    Best of luck with it. The only problem is that it may seem like you've seen the story or plot before. Mainly due to it being subsumed into a lot of future writing. The first book is a classic, the second being interesting in seeing where it all leads to. I don't remember much of the later series of books. I've heard that the prequel Dune books written by the authors son are not up to much though.

Hope you enjoy it anyway.

The dune books were revolutionary at the time in terms of their complexity (+ i was 17 or so when i read them I guess!)

Now they don't really stand out in the same way since there are many other works with similar complexities and some of them are probably a bit weak, a bit too caught up in their own grandeur. That is not meant as a suggestion they are crap or not worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Dune itself, is without equal. The later books, whilst being good reads are not in the same class. I even read the other books written by his son & co. I enjoyed them for what they were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Dune itself, is without equal. The later books, whilst being good reads are not in the same class. I even read the other books written by his son & co. I enjoyed them for what they were.
    +1

I enjoyed them as well. The characters were flat, tbh, but it was enjoyable reading about the development of the society and cultures and how they arrived at the point they were at in Dune.

One disappointment for me is the lack of any storylines from anywhere pre Dune focusing on different sections of the protagonists, other than the authors son. There is huge scope for some very good novels from those eras, imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭AOH77A

Reread Dune a few months ago , it had been 30 years since I read it originally. Was pleasantly surprised, a great book that stands the test of time.

Funnily enough I then decided to read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant again , I had fond memories of the series. Had to give up after 50 pages, it was really hard work and definitely did not age well.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I read Dune, thought it was amazing, and then left the series alone. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

AOH77A wrote: »
    Funnily enough I then decided to read the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant again , I had fond memories of the series. Had to give up after 50 pages, it was really hard work and definitely did not age well.

Really?! loved these when I read them ... might avoid re-reading them so - thanks for the warning :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,470 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

About halfway through 'The Long Way to a Small Angry Planet' and I have to say it's a lot of fun. Totally lightweight in the best possible way, with a universe that's ironically very poignant and humane considering much of the cast are demonstrably alien in appearance & outlook. Not a lot going on plot-wise, but it's highly enjoyable just following the daily grind of the charismatic and likeable crew.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

mcgovern wrote: »
    The second book in the series is quite slow, not much happens until the very end, haven't read the final one yet.

Finished Infinity Engine, it was good but didn't go the way I'd have liked.
    I was hoping for a big battle between Penny Royal and The Brockle, but it didn't quite play out that way. It also got a bit confusing by the end, and I'm not sure what exactly happened :o

Started the second one and can't put it down. Brilliant read.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

+1. I enjoyed them as well. The characters were flat, tbh, but it was enjoyable reading about the development of the society and cultures and how they arrived at the point they were at in Dune.
    shootermacg and Buford T. Justice V permanently banned from this forum for even saying something positive about these abominations.
    I really didn't like them :D Only saving grace was one of those did contain the phrase "Ixian boy" from which my username originates.
    david75 wrote: »
    Started the second one and can't put it down. Brilliant read.
    Yep, me too! Currently 18% in. Prador, AI war drones, Polity agents, lots of tech and action. Asher's also improved as a writer and I like how each chapter is sub-divided into different characters POV with nobody having the full picture bar Penny Royal.

Just checked my Goodreads there and Neal Asher is now at #4 in my most read authors with this being the 21st book of his I've read.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

ixoy wrote: »
    Yep, me too! Currently 18% in. Prador, AI war drones, Polity agents, lots of tech and action. Asher's also improved as a writer and I like how each chapter is sub-divided into different characters POV with nobody having the full picture bar Penny Royal.

Just checked my Goodreads there and Neal Asher is now at #4 in my most read authors with this being the 21st book of his I've read.

I need to go through my bookcase and make sure I've added everything, found I was missing 4 or 5 of his books from Goodreads. Pretty sure I've read all his novels and one or two short stories.

Finished Sharp Ends, had some interesting characters (most of the ones focused on where female which made a nice change) and some cameos. Also showed some events from the main series from another perspective.

Now onto Orb Scepter Throne by Ian C Esselmont. Getting to the end of the main Malazan novels, just The Crippled God from Erikson and 3 from ICE. Hopefully will get at least tCG finished this year!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

shootermacg and Buford T. Justice V permanently banned from this forum for even saying something positive about these abominations.
    I really didn't like them :D Only saving grace was one of those did contain the phrase "Ixian boy" from which my username originates.

:eek:

Feck off, you woke me up and it's way too early for me to be awake:D

Sorry, which book are you referring to here? Is the Polity series? Am I right in assuming Prador Moon is book #1 ....

Dades wrote: »
    Sorry, which book are you referring to here? Is the Polity series? Am I right in assuming Prador Moon is book #1 ....

I believe he's talking about War Factory, which is the second novel in the Transformation series, which is set in the Polity universe.
    Prador Moon is the first book chronologically in the Polity universe, but it's a standalone novel.
    There are three series (Agent Cormac, Spatterjay and Transformation) and a few standalones set in the same universe.
    They are generally pretty great :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I got totally lost. Think I've read about 12-15 of the Asher books, maybe GoodReads will help me figure out what's next.

I believe he's talking about War Factory, which is the second novel in the Transformation series, which is set in the Polity universe.
    Prador Moon is the first book chronologically in the Polity universe, but it's a standalone novel.
    There are three series (Agent Cormac, Spatterjay and Transformation) and a few standalones set in the same universe.
    They are generally pretty great :)
    Is there a recognised starting novel? Sounds similar to Iain M Banks with the odd standalone novel and shared universe. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭Tayschren

I just finished The Emporers Blades by Brian Stevely, very enjoyable piece of fantasy fluff... worth a read

And this series is a follow on from the stand alone 'The Technician' which itself is a follow up to 'The Line of Polity', the second book in the Agent Cormac series.

Is there a recognised starting novel? Sounds similar to Iain M Banks with the odd standalone novel and shared universe. :)

I would probably start with Prador Moon and move onto the Agent Cormac series.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

About half-way through The King's Blood (The Dagger and the Coin #2) by Daniel Abraham.

Trying to get myself back into reading after a few months of barely lifting a book.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Never read any of his stuff, what would you recommend as a good entry point?

Slightly OT but currently about half way into Gaiman's Norse Mythology which if I'm honest I'm finding a bit flat, and possibly something better suited to an audio-book like John Cleese's take on Dante's Inferno. Very much looking forward to the TV version of American God's though having loved the book some years back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nody wrote: »
    About halfway through Knight's Shadow (Greatcoats, #2) by Sebastien de Castell; the story has taken an interesting twist and if you enjoyed the first I'd say you'll enjoy the second book (based on what I've read so far) and as a fantasy novel without orcs, elves etc. I'd recommend the series so far.
    Finished it and honestly it's bloody brilliant; highly recommend it. Started up "Selling Out" (Quantum Gravity, Book 2) which is yet anything but normal scifi/fantasy book series (How does a Rock band with an Elf lead singer, a couple of faeries on guitar and drums with a demon as band manager touring Earth being guarded by a female android sound?) :)

smacl wrote: »
    Never read any of his stuff, what would you recommend as a good entry point?
    I'd echo McGovern's suggestion above - check out "Prador Moon" first because, chronologically, it's first but it's also short so will give you an idea for the feel of the Polity universe.

Then go start into the Agent Cormac series. Asher's writing has gotten more polished since that debut novel but it makes more sense to go here next as that story grounds you more into the Polity universe and kicks off a lot of plot threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

IMHO Neal Asher is sort of the poor man's Iain Banks. (in a good way)
    I'm pretty sure that Gridlinked was the first Polity novel? (first published anyway)

Finished a conjuring of light by VE Schwab.
    Enjoyed the first two books but this the final one was really overwrought and just a bit too obvious.
    Someone said earlier they're making it into a tv series. I can see it working but I wouldn't be running to read these again just cos the final book just isn't that great.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Thrawn by Timothy Zahn is out today, the best character in the Star Wars universe by a mile, I dont even like Star Wars anymore but the original Thrawn trilogy is amazing, well worth a read. Its about an admiral who takes over the remains of the Empire after their defeat in Return of the Jedi and starts winning battles and taking back territory, not canon but a great storyline. The book released today is his origin story, not heard if its any good or not.

Thargor wrote: »
    Thrawn by Timothy Zahn is out today, the best character in the Star Wars universe by a mile, I dont even like Star Wars anymore but the original Thrawn trilogy is amazing, well worth a read. Its about an admiral who takes over the remains of the Empire after their defeat in Return of the Jedi and starts winning battles and taking back territory, not canon but a great storyline. The book released today is his origin story, not heard if its any good or not.

Looking forward to reading it. Yet nobody paints him with the Mary Sue brush the way they do Rey.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Wrong Title Above :( Should read The Dread Wyrm

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTpkZLtTg9R7ZDOYAi0DNVi5Y06EJ_2QENcSqXaKWS-KF1CYBJ6P5B4gQ
    This is the third book in the Traitor Son Cycle.

About half way through this and loving it A real page turner.
    The Red Knight has stood against soldiers, armies and the might of an empire without flinching. He's fought on real and magical battlefields alike, and now he's facing one of the greatest challenges yet. A tournament.
    A joyous spring event, the flower of the nobility will ride against each other for royal favor and acclaim. It's a political contest -- one which the Red Knight has the skill to win. But the stakes may be higher than he thinks. The court of Alba has been infiltrated by a dangerous faction of warlike knights, led by the greatest knight in the world: Jean de Vrailly -- and the prize he's fighting for isn't royal favor, but the throne of Alba itself...

Has anyone heard of Ken Liu?
    He's writing a new Star Wars book called the legends of luke Skywalker.
    Intrigued. Hope it's great.

• Advertisement

david75 wrote: »
    Has anyone heard of Ken Liu?
    He's writing a new Star Wars book called the legends of luke Skywalker.
    Intrigued. Hope it's great.

I've read his book of short stories which was good, his fantasy series is highly rated too.

Advertisement