Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just finished Fellside by Mike Carey, who wrote The girl with all the gifts. Very entertaining, though more supernatural murder mystery with a bit of orange is the new black thrown in than fantasy or sci fi. Well written though maybe a chapter too long.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Like a few others here, currently reading "Assassin's Fate" the final book in Robin Hobb's "The Fitz and the Fool" trilogy. 20% in so far and, as expected, it's excellent. There's a faster pace than the previous novels, a sense of a strong conclusion building. The writing and characters are as wonderful as ever. It's going to be sad to say goodbye to these characters but at least it looks to be set to going out on a high.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Finished the warded man and moved onto the desert spear. Really enjoying the Demon Cycle series at the moment. Real page turners and a great premise.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ixoy wrote: »
    Like a few others here, currently reading "Assassin's Fate" the final book in Robin Hobb's "The Fitz and the Fool" trilogy. 20% in so far and, as expected, it's excellent. There's a faster pace than the previous novels, a sense of a strong conclusion building. The writing and characters are as wonderful as ever. It's going to be sad to say goodbye to these characters but at least it looks to be set to going out on a high.

I must give these a go again at some stage. I read the Assassin's Apprentice one and thought it wasn't bad but never carried on after.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

keane2097 wrote: »
    I must give these a go again at some stage. I read the Assassin's Apprentice one and thought it wasn't bad but never carried on after.

i finished them and found her style a slog at times if i'm perfectly honest. i was happy to finish them although the story was great.

no doubt i'm in a minority here :pac:

• Advertisement

i finished them and found her style a slog at times if i'm perfectly honest. i was happy to finish them although the story was great.

Maybe I won't bother so. I'm intent on getting onto your Galactic Milieu series soon, have read practically nothing this year so far

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

You're not alone; I read the first two shipper series and I really, really was bored with the world and the writing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just started into the Assassin's Apprentice so I'll see how it goes. Bought the trilogy as a bundle, so hoping I get on with it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

smacl wrote: »
    Just started into the Assassin's Apprentice so I'll see how it goes. Bought the trilogy as a bundle, so hoping I get on with it.

Stick with it. She's probably the best out there. Love these books deeply.

smacl wrote: »

I think I remember saying at the time that I didn't think there was enough assassinations or apprenticing in it.

• Advertisement

Both kick up a notch in the following two books but there is loads of apprenticing though:)

She writes so beautifully and the way she's mapped out all the numerous threads over 9 books and extended out into her rain wilds and city of dragons books I'm happy to call her a master world builder.

You can not read those other series and not miss out but if you do it adds so many more layers.

Stick to the farseer/ assassin books to start off with though.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I started Girl With All the Gifts but reading interrupted by release of the latest Ishmael Wang - To Fire Called - from the Tales of the Solar Clipper series.

david75 wrote: »
    Stick with it. She's probably the best out there. Love these books deeply.

They were fine although, the lead character is bit of a kill joy (which is explained in book 2 or 3), such a doom and gloom type of guy. I did enjoy the fool though. All in all, worth a read, but nowhere near a great read... 6.5 out of 10.

Both kick up a notch in the following two books but there is loads of apprenticing though:)

Maybe it was too much apprentice, not enough assassin - something like that anyway!

Maybe it was too much apprentice, not enough assassin - something like that anyway!

Very little assassination too. :D

They were fine although, the lead character is bit of a kill joy (which is explained in book 2 or 3), such a doom and gloom type of guy. I did enjoy the fool though. All in all, worth a read, but nowhere near a great read... 6.5 out of 10.

You're not the only one, I wasn't crazy about them. First series was ok, but went downhill. As for that Soldier's Son series... horrible.

Maybe I'm too much of a traditionalist.

Thing to remember about fitz in the assassins books. He's a teenager. Who very legitimately feels put upon and hard done by. But he is horribly put upon and hard done by AND illegitimate! And certain members of the Royal family don't let him forget and see him as a threat and treat him abysmally.

I'd ask anyone starting these books to keep at them. It's so worth it by the end. His relationship with nighteyes and the fool have me in tears and laughing out loud at all points.

I might be biased but she dethroned my favourite fantasy authors with these books.

Thing to remember about fitz in the assassins books. He's a teenager. Who very legitimately feels put upon and hard done by. But he is horribly put upon and hard done by AND illegitimate! And certain members of the Royal family don't let him forget and see him as a threat and treat him abysmally.

I'd ask anyone starting these books to keep at them. It's so worth it by the end. His relationship with nighteyes and the fool have me in tears and laughing out loud at all points.

I might be biased but she dethroned my favourite fantasy authors with these books.

The only book that made me laugh was IT by Stephen King.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

And his character hasn't developed one jot by the time the current series starts. He is EXACTLY the same character he was as a teenager even after decades of life passes, I just found the fact his mentality being the exact same as decades before, despite living a very colourful life, a tad unbelievable. I just left that book down and haven't picked it up again, something I have only done once or twice before.

Doubt I'll change my mind either but that's just me.

The thing about the latest series is you could rip the first book in two and chuck away the first part, because absolutely nothing of any import happens. I tried, I really did :)

Then again, I'm currently reading the latest of Nathan Howell's Ishmael Wang books (which start with Quarter Share, etc), and you'd be right in saying that they're slow. Glacially so! But I love it.

Isn't it great that there's so much diversity in books to meet all our reading tastes? :)

• Advertisement

And his character hasn't developed one jot by the time the current series starts. He is EXACTLY the same character he was as a teenager even after decades of life passes, I just found the fact his mentality being the exact same as decades before, despite living a very colourful life, a tad unbelievable. I just left that book down and haven't picked it up again, something I have only done once or twice before.

Doubt I'll change my mind either but that's just me.

That's not entirely true. He's actually worse. He's a study is depression and self loathing almost but certainly tired of it all and him having to be the catalyst. Him being the catalyst is central to understanding him. He doesn't want it. It's thrust upon him. This final trilogy is him reacting to that once and for all and putting an end to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

That's not entirely true. He's actually worse. He's a study is depression and self loathing almost but certainly tired of it all and him having to be the catalyst. Him being the catalyst is central to understanding him. He doesn't want it. It's thrust upon him. This final trilogy is him reacting to that once and for all and putting an end to it.

I've never read these but this sounds entirely like the Thomas Convenant series in terms of a self loathing character who rejects his "destiny".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

machalla wrote: »
    I've never read these but this sounds entirely like the Thomas Convenant series in terms of a self loathing character who rejects his "destiny".

Fitz is nowhere near the level of Covenant's self hatred. I don't think Fitz hates himself but instead is harsh on his actions. He's believably flawed which is one of the reasons I enjoy his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Finished Toll the hounds. Really enjoyed it.

Started "old man's war".

I need a break from erikson between books, they are just so dense/complex.

Yeah Assassin's Apprentice wasn't even on the spectrum of 'unreadable' that Thomas Covenant was anyway whatever about the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Just got fleet of worlds. Ordered rest of series. Finished protector / ringworld. Bit of a niven reader at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I won't be finding out, Fitz now tops my list of the most annoying character ever in a novel. And by some distance too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

saneman wrote: »
    After the Expanse series I was struggling to find an author that ticked similar boxes so thanks for putting Marko Kloos on my radar. After the first book I was hooked and I've thoroughly enjoyed the series so far. Will be checking out Fields of Fire asap.

Thanks for this. Just finished the last Frontlines book. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

machalla wrote: »
    I finished off Fields of Fire Frontlines 5 the other day. As ever an easy read that mostly kept bouncing along at a decent pace. I would say the first 50% was a bit slower than typical for this series. Not too much navel gazing but still contemplative and the exact opposite of gung-ho military fantasy. I look forward to the story progressing even further. This one has been a milestone in the series in terms of events.

I'm still reading the witcher books (slow going at the moment).

I've noticed The Legends of the First Empire "epic" fantasy series seems to be getting good reviews. Any opinions would be welcome on it before I waste time on it.

I hate these plodding never ending series, with readers needing to take notes to track plot and characters. If its any good I might take the plunge. Thanks.

What I liked about the frontlines. Was that it was simple. Few characters.

I really dislike books that have massive cast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I actually felt that fitz had matured a lot with age!

Advertisement