Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

smacl wrote: »
    Just bought it recently but have yet to read it, how are you finding it in comparison to the previous three? (Aside from the cussing).
    It's pretty good. I'm nearly done (stopped to re-read the LOTR!) Not as good as the Old Mans War stuff.

It's a bit Iain M Banks-lite. Political plotting and whatnot. It's lacking focus on any single character which means less investment from the reader.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

No Gods, only Daimons. An urban military fantasy set in a slightly divergent Earth. It delivered in well written form the standard gun play mixed with magic elements. What set it apart was the interesting and insightful take on the theological underpinnings of the social and socerial worlds.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

70% into Charles Stross' fourth Laundry book, "The Apocalypse Codex". Pretty much know what to expect - nerdy references, Cthulu-type horror and it's delivering fine without being outstanding. I prefer the tone of the PC Grant series (which is less cynical) but it's an easy read as part of a temporary break from the heavy "The Dark Forest".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Manach wrote: »
    No Gods, only Daimons. An urban military fantasy set in a slightly divergent Earth. It delivered in well written form the standard gun play mixed with magic elements. What set it apart was the interesting and insightful take on the theological underpinnings of the social and socerial worlds.
    Now that does sound interesting, thanks for that.

EDIT: Bah just published and its only the start of a series, Ill wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ixoy wrote: »
    70% into Charles Stross' fourth Laundry book, "The Apocalypse Codex". Pretty much know what to expect - nerdy references, Cthulu-type horror and it's delivering fine without being outstanding. I prefer the tone of the PC Grant series (which is less cynical) but it's an easy read as part of a temporary break from the heavy "The Dark Forest".

I thought the Laundry series from Stross started brilliantly but got a bit repetitive. I agree on the Grant series (I loved the unexplained jokes in that, no patronising of the reader here).

Stross's Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise was a fantastic space opera mini series, it's a pity he felt he couldn't go on with them:
    Stross wrote that mistakes he felt he had made in Iron Sunrise had left the universe of the Eschaton novels "broken" and thus he would not be writing any more novels in the series.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Finished the latest 'Peter Grant' novel, The Hanging Tree; as easy and enjoyable a read as all the series have been, though 6 books in and I just can't shake the feeling Ben Aaronovitch is dragging things out more than necessary. Not as bad for wheel-spinning as Foxglove Summer, and while there were developments in the plot surrounding
    the Faceless Man and Leslie, they were fairly piecemeal and came late in the book.
    Things could do with a bump at this stage

pixelburp wrote: »
    Finished the latest 'Peter Grant' novel, The Hanging Tree; as easy and enjoyable a read as all the series have been, though 6 books in and I just can't shake the feeling Ben Aaronovitch is dragging things out more than necessary. Not as bad for wheel-spinning as Foxglove Summer, and while there were developments in the plot surrounding
    the Faceless Man and Leslie, they were fairly piecemeal and came late in the book.
    Things could do with a bump at this stage

Agreed with that. He also tends to do a Gemmell with the can-I-fit-the-ending-on-two-pages thing. Still pretty good stuff though, and I'm looking forward to the next.

I'm reading book 4 of Brent Week's Lightbringer/Prism series after finishing a re-read of 1-3.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished A Night Without Stars, it was pretty good but I can't help but feel it was originally planned to have a few more books and then rushed it all together.
    Prime are found and destroyed in a few pages. Planters are found for first time but end up having almost no impact and we don't really learn about them. Raiel are freed and save the day in a few pages.

I'm now reading Sword of the North by Luke Scull, the second in his Grim Company series. It's basically a more vulgar version of Joe Ambercrombie but I'm enjoying it so far, it moves at a fair pace and I find myself getting annoyed at the end of each chapter that the viewpoint is going to change and I'll have to wait to find out what happens next.

Finished The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4) by Brent Weeks.

It was very fast paced compared to the earlier books, in terms of timeline there were several occasions where it felt like 3-6 months had passed by between chapters. On-screen there would have been several montage scenes. He opened up the plot to another level, which I won't say more about without spoilering. There were also some strange digressions or plot twists to add some... err... colour. Overall I thought it was good, but not great. It feels like he overwrote book 3 and slightly rushed book 4. But in interviews he said that he was originally trying to close out the series with the 4th book, which is not how it felt. Either way I'm definitely still looking forward to the final book of the series.

Trojan wrote: »
    Finished The Blood Mirror (Lightbringer, #4) by Brent Weeks.

It was very fast paced compared to the earlier books, in terms of timeline there were several occasions where it felt like 3-6 months had passed by between chapters. On-screen there would have been several montage scenes. He opened up the plot to another level, which I won't say more about without spoilering. There were also some strange digressions or plot twists to add some... err... colour. Overall I thought it was good, but not great. It feels like he overwrote book 3 and slightly rushed book 4. But in interviews he said that he was originally trying to close out the series with the 4th book, which is not how it felt. Either way I'm definitely still looking forward to the final book of the series.
    Ill read the last book to finish it but I really took a dislike to this series after a promising start, I hate that young main character, the one who talks like a modern day American teenager, also the bizarre subplot devoted to his
    wife being too tight for him to get it in?!?
    What was the author thinking? The world is a very flat and generic medieval type place aswell.

Theres an awful lot of repetition aswell, I often thought you saw the same scenes and arguments coming up over and over again, everything in fantasy these days has to be dragged out into a way longer series hn necessary for $$$.

• Advertisement

That spoiler you gave is one of the weird digressions I was talking about. It's like an "awareness" campaign run by a charity. No question that it couldn't be a very real issue for people in reality as well as in the Lightbringer world, but I'm not sure it really fits this series/genre.

Trojan wrote: »
    That spoiler you gave is one of the weird digressions I was talking about. It's like an "awareness" campaign run by a charity. No question that it couldn't be a very real issue for people in reality as well as in the Lightbringer world, but I'm not sure it really fits this series/genre.
    No and definitely not the 7 times it was brought up. How many times does he rake over the arguments between the 2 brothers and the main female bodyguard aswell? Or his arguments with his father. I just felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again. But just when Im about to give up he does something really interesting with the magic system or the Wights or the God things and Im kind of sucked back in again... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Thargor wrote: »
    No and definitely not the 7 times it was brought up. How many times does he rake over the arguments between the 2 brothers and the main female bodyguard aswell? Or his arguments with his father. I just felt like I was reading the same thing over and over again. But just when Im about to give up he does something really interesting with the magic system or the Wights or the God things and Im kind of sucked back in again... :pac:

At least there hasn't been any braid tugging and skirt smoothing :D

I'm currently on chapter 71 of book 4 and I agree with the above comments.
    I also find the pacing between the different books erratic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Started the Farseer Trilogy again having finished Assassins Fate recently.

I can't get enough of this world and its characters. Just so well written it's almost tangible. Fitz has just met Chade and his world is being turned upside down.

Love em :)

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭drake70

Just downloaded The Dragon Engine by Andy Remic. Looking forward to starting it this evening having read most of his other works.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Started reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson after hearing so many good reviews, and god damn it's excellent. About 70% through now, and really looking forward to how it pans out. Hope the rest of the series is as good.

Kiith wrote: »
    Started reading The Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson after hearing so many good reviews, and god damn it's excellent. About 70% through now, and really looking forward to how it pans out. Hope the rest of the series is as good.
    Just be prepared to wait. A long long time. Only two of ten published so far (third later this year). Sanderson is no slacker like George R.R. Martin (he's his opposite really!) but, with all his other series, it means his best is still too slow too arrive

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Quite liked Sword of the North, lots of action and goes at a good pace.
    Now reading Children of Time by Adrian Tchaikovsky, he really has something for insects! Loving it so far though.

Just be prepared to wait. A long long time. Only two of ten published so far (third later this year). Sanderson is no slacker like George R.R. Martin (he's his opposite really!) but, with all his other series, it means his best is still too slow too arrive

Ahh nuts. I thought it was a trilogy with the last part coming later this year. I hate waiting for books :o

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Kiith wrote: »
    Ahh nuts. I thought it was a trilogy with the last part coming later this year. I hate waiting for books :o

10? I didn't know this either. I assumed it was a trilogy.

>.<

two books in and enjoyed both so it is too late to back out now.

• Advertisement

Fian wrote: »
    10? I didn't know this either. I assumed it was a trilogy.

>.<

two books in and enjoyed both so it is too late to back out now.
    If it makes you feel better, the 10 books are in 2 arcs so you'll get a proper story out five of them :)

If it makes you feel better, the 10 books are in 2 arcs so you'll get a proper story out five of them :)

well, as has been already observed he is no GRR Martin in terms of output - he pumps out more than one a year consistently. Of course some of his series are not as enjoyable as others and this one is easily the best imo.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finished The boy on the bridge last night and thoroughly enjoyed it. Every bit as good as The girl with all the gifts, though in many ways very similar. If you enjoyed the first one, or have any interest in slick post apocalyptic zombie stuff, thoroughly recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

After reading a lot of Stephen King short stories for a change from fantasy style stuff and have moved onto the Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series by Tad Williams. Enjoyed the first book (The Dragonbone Chair) but am enjoying the second book a lot more as I am more into the story. Found the first a bit dragged out in places, lot more going on in this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 djjdomahony

currently on pathfinder by orson scott card - great book!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Anyone read Annihilation?

About half way through it at the moment, enjoying it. It's creepy.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone read Annihilation?

About half way through it at the moment, enjoying it. It's creepy.

Good premise, never heard of it before, thanks.

I held off starting the 2nd Stormlight Archive book, and am reading Steven Erikson's Memories of Ice again. Want to go back and finish off the Malazan series, as i only ever got to Reapers Gale iirc.

Fian wrote: »
    I decided to put aside dust of dreams and go for something a bit lighter for a break. Started "prince of thorns". Turns out it is pretty great, at least so far. Very dark/gritty, reminds me of ASOI&F. May have to finish the trilogy before returning to finish Malazan books.

Just finished the Prince of thorns trilogy. Excellent, improved as I went along. I think I will go back and finish malazan though honestly i wouldn't mind continuing with something less challenging. I see Mark Lawrence has a second trilogy set in the same world out as well....

Turned out not to be so much like ASOIF as the opening of the first book led my to believe though. Lots of magic.

• Advertisement

New Xeelee book by Stephen Baxter released!

Xeelee: Vengeance. A full new addition to the Xeelee Sequence not just more short stories. Theres another one on the way next year according to Wiki. This is as good as hard sci-fi gets imo.

Advertisement