Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

keane2097 wrote: »
    Anyone read Annihilation?

About half way through it at the moment, enjoying it. It's creepy.
    I was all up for this until I found out it's written in the first person, which always puts me off. Hmmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Dades wrote: »
    I was all up for this until I found out it's written in the first person, which always puts me off. Hmmm.

Read more of it last night - it's very good. Haven't highlighted so many passages in a long time. It's very short too, give it a spin imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thinking about diving into the Xeelee world from Stephen Baxter, Raft, Timelike, Flux, Ring are available in an omnibus, and he's just released the 2nd last in the series (Vengenge).

Has anyone read this? What did you think?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Finished off book 3 and 4 in the Quantum Gravity series and enjoyed them in the very unique worlds built... Started up now on Fatherland as preparation for Wolfenstein 2 :P

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Trojan wrote: »
    Thinking about diving into the Xeelee world from Stephen Baxter, Raft, Timelike, Flux, Ring are available in an omnibus, and he's just released the 2nd last in the series (Vengenge).

Has anyone read this? What did you think?
    Have a look 3 posts back:D

Baxters other stuff is not to be missed either, Evolution and few other standalones, also the Manifold series:

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list/20295.Stephen_Baxter

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Thargor wrote: »
    New Xeelee book by Stephen Baxter released!
    Trojan wrote: »
    Thinking about diving into the Xeelee world from Stephen Baxter
    Have a look 3 posts back:D

Argh, I can't believe I did that. It was your post that made me look it up, and then I promptly forgot where I heard it :)

Loved the Time Odyssey series with Arthur C CLarke, and also the Flood and Ark novels.

SF that's hard as nails!

Yeah I love the way he takes things to their conclusion unlike a lot of authors, like you'll often get an epilogue set 100k years after the events of the novel showing how things panned out for humanity or else the plot will randomly jump forward a few centuries, that kind of thing. Evolution should be read by everybody. I nearly let out a whoop in the Dubrays when I saw he was still doing Xeelee.

He also wrote The Long Earth series with Arthur C Clarke aswell which is another series that really stuck in my head and I think of a lot, Im saving The Long Cosmos for my holiday this year, he's a seriously high quality author.

Oh yeah and if you're getting into Xeelee dont forget the Destinies Children series, it properly fleshes out the war between Humanity and the Xeelee:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Xeelee_Sequence

You can read Ring and Raft and the rest first I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Yeah I love the way he takes things to their conclusion unlike a lot of authors, like you'll often get an epilogue set 100k years after the events of the novel showing how things panned out for humanity or else the plot will randomly jump forward a few centuries, that kind of thing. Evolution should be read by everybody. I nearly let out a whoop in the Dubrays when I saw he was still doing Xeelee.

He also wrote The Long Earth series with Arthur C Clarke aswell which is another series that really stuck in my head and I think of a lot, Im saving The Long Cosmos for my holiday this year, he's a seriously high quality author.

Was the long earth series not with Terry Pratchett?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

David Gemmell books are being released now on audio. So listening to Legend on the commute to work while working out how to defend the train from Nadir raiders.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

63% into Spiderlight by Adrian Tchaikovsky. It's a nice light novel featuring a spider (of course) turned into a man who could help fight the Dark. The plot's pretty straight forward but the pacing is good, the characters enjoyable and there's a good dash of humour. Reminds me a little of how Steven Erikson wrote the Korbal and Bauchelain novellas in between his bigger projects.

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Was the long earth series not with Terry Pratchett?
    Oh crap of course it was sorry.

Started "Pandemic" by A.G. Riddle a few night ago. Enjoying it so far. Long book though, so it'll be doing well to keep me till the end.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,172 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd forgotten how violent Memories of Ice can be. The Tenescowri bits make for some bleak reading.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Half way through Scalzi's "The Collapsing Empire".

Quite enjoying it, though as The Stranger says in The Big Lebowski... "do you have to use so many cuss words?"

One of the character swears so much it's grating.

Just finished it. Found it very entertaining like most Scalzi stuff I've read so far without being anything special. Fast moving and good fun, like a good action movie with a large portion of buttered popcorn. Expletives didn't bother me so much, very much part of the theme.

^^ I was nearly finished and got sidetracked. I will do though. Let us know how the next book goes if you start it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

^^ I was nearly finished and got sidetracked. I will do though. Let us know how the next book goes if you start it.

Don't think he's written any sequels yet but the ending certainly leaves it open form them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I thought the start of Children of Time was stronger than the ending but overall it was very good and I would definitely buy a sequel if there ever was one.
    I'm know reading The Queen of the Tearling by Erika Johansen. It's ok, every second page reminds us that the Queen is not the best looking. Some of the characters are not very consistent and some of the others are very tropey, but I'm interested to see how it ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Kiith wrote: »
    I'd forgotten how violent Memories of Ice can be. The Tenescowri bits make for some bleak reading.

Reading dust of dreams atm. The "ribby snake" sections are incredibly bleak. Remind me of "the road".

• Advertisement

Anyone read Annihilation?

About half way through it at the moment, enjoying it. It's creepy.
    About half way through it now myself - I had bought back in December 2014 in a sale and you prompted me to finally read it.
    I agree - there's a good sense of tension and I genuinely amn't sure what's going on. Anonymising characters just adds to it.

ixoy wrote: »
    About half way through it now myself - I had bought back in December 2014 in a sale and you prompted me to finally read it.
    I agree - there's a good sense of tension and I genuinely amn't sure what's going on. Anonymising characters just adds to it.

There are two further books apparently also. Report back when you finish, would be interested to hear what you think.

There are two further books apparently also. Report back when you finish, would be interested to hear what you think.
    Yeah, I got book two at the same time although I might wait and read 'The Unholy Consult' first (R. Scott Bakker's latest).

The Southern Reach trilogy is being filmed currently by the same director who gave us the excellent 'Deus Ex Machina' with Natalie Portman in the lead role.

Didn't see that one. I'm hoping they try to recreate the creepy atmosphere of the book rather than go the easier route of 'build tension and have something jump out from behind a tree'.

14% into "The Unholy Consult" by R. Scott Bakker, the fourth book in his Aspect-Emperor series and the one that's also wrapping up the events of the previous trilogy.

It's excellent so far - very very bleak though. Bakker has some beautiful turns of phrase and again his philosophical insights are strong (which they'd want to be given how core they are to the entire series!). The sense of epic scale in this is as grand as any series I've read and really hope the conclusion pays off after over a decade in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

ixoy wrote: »
    14% into "The Unholy Consult" by R. Scott Bakker, the fourth book in his Aspect-Emperor series and the one that's also wrapping up the events of the previous trilogy.

It's excellent so far - very very bleak though. Bakker has some beautiful turns of phrase and again his philosophical insights are strong (which they'd want to be given how core they are to the entire series!). The sense of epic scale in this is as grand as any series I've read and really hope the conclusion pays off after over a decade in the world.

Echo all the above. Just started into it last night. One of the best series of books I have ever read. Some of the characters in it are just masterful.
    A series that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Heffoman wrote: »
    Echo all the above. Just started into it last night. One of the best series of books I have ever read. Some of the characters in it are just masterful.
    A series that doesn't get the recognition it deserves.

I'd never heard of it before. Where do you start? From what I can see you need to read the prior series, the Prince of Nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

machalla wrote: »
    I'd never heard of it before. Where do you start? From what I can see you need to read the prior series, the Prince of Nothing?

Yes the two series are linked only separated by a few years. They arguabley are the same series in eight books.

Be warned though it is heavy going at times and its not for everyone. It is also incredibly bleak and violent. But not gratuitous.

For me I love the prose at his turn of phrase. And the battle scenes when they do occur are suitably epic and colossal in scale.

That sounds like it could be my cup of tea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Heffoman wrote: »
    Yes the two series are linked only separated by a few years. They arguabley are the same series in eight books.

Be warned though it is heavy going at times and its not for everyone. It is also incredibly bleak and violent. But not gratuitous.

For me I love the prose at his turn of phrase. And the battle scenes when they do occur are suitably epic and colossal in scale.

I picked up the first in my brother's place a while back and enjoyed it, though i hadn't finished. Seemed very epic and also well written. I have the first trilogy in my calibre library, keep meaning to get to them. A few books on my list to get through before i start them though.

Advertisement