Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

keane2097 wrote: »
    I really think if he made the names more readable the book would have seriously benefited.

for sure...

This book increasingly feels like it's a reworking of the crusades with a pinch of Messiah atm... Waiting for some big twist to make it all worthwhile :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Read three GRR Martin books.

A knight of the seven kingdoms-so much fun. Great to see him pull his focus in to just two main characters and such likeable well written characters they are too.

The queen and the princess-a history of the targaryens. Good read. Enjoyed it.

The world of ice and fire, an untold history of westeros and the game of thrones- I guess this and the above are his attempt at a silmarillion. Sorta covers the backstory to everything. Lots of kin slaying treachery incest etc. A handy book to have if you need the backstory of anything in westeros up to the current time frame. Covers all the houses of note and major events that lead us to this point.

Sleeping giants - Sylvain Neuvele on audiobook.

Really enjoying it so far.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

51% into "Last First Snow" by Max Gladstone, the fourth in his Craft sequence. It's been a bit slow to take off but it's warming up now. Still digging the "lawyers with magic" concept that it has going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

ixoy wrote: »
    51% into "Last First Snow" by Max Gladstone, the fourth in his Craft sequence. It's been a bit slow to take off but it's warming up now. Still digging the "lawyers with magic" concept that it has going.

I picked up the compendium but have hit a road block with the second book "Two Serpents Rise". The whole concept should appeal to me but I found the first book just ok, lacking in some way. It doesn't feel like world building instead its just page filling.

I may just go and reread something mindlessly silly (Space Captain Smith) and try again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

After reading a lot of Stephen King short stories for a change from fantasy style stuff and have moved onto the Memory, Sorrow & Thorn series by Tad Williams. Enjoyed the first book (The Dragonbone Chair) but am enjoying the second book a lot more as I am more into the story. Found the first a bit dragged out in places, lot more going on in this one.

Enjoyed that series! Now onto The Briar King, took a while to get into the first book and not far enough into the second to know what I think yet :)

I didn't even know this had come out last year!

Fair Rebel (Fourlands #5) by Steph Swainston

Its 10 years since the last one. I definitely recommend a read of the first book "The year of our war".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

david75 wrote: »
    The world of ice and fire, an untold history of westeros and the game of thrones- I guess this and the above are his attempt at a silmarillion. Sorta covers the backstory to everything. Lots of kin slaying treachery incest etc. A handy book to have if you need the backstory of anything in westeros up to the current time frame. Covers all the houses of note and major events that lead us to this point.
    I love this book, particularly the artwork.

About 25% through Plague Year. Just came across it on Goodreads and thought it sounded interesting. Enjoying so far!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I bought Prince of thorns ages ago finally started it last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Still struggling through Too Like the Lightening, not sure why I'm doing it to myself at this stage!
    In between I've read Daemon by Daniel Suarez, which is about a computer program (not an AI really) taking over. It's pretty good and quite believable.
    Then I read Knight's Shadow by Sebastien de Castell, book 2 of the Greatcoats series. It's also enjoyable but I'm not sure how he is going to continue the series as they've been tortured and near death so many times I doubt they are able for much more!
    After that was Decisively Engaged by C.J. Carella which is about American Marines kicking ass in space. A bit heavy on the America is great side of things but a good read and I've already bought the second in the series.
    Lastly, currently reading The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley. Fantasy but different enough so far to stand out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

mcgovern wrote: »
    In between I've read Daemon by Daniel Suarez, which is about a computer program (not an AI really) taking over. It's pretty good and quite believable.

I read this a couple of years ago, definitely interesting and quite realistic in terms of the technology, at the start at least. Recommended.

I know it's a little outside what we do here but I just finished two audiobooks in a row.
    Sleeping giants and it's sequel waking gods by Sylvain Neuvel.

Man alive they were brilliant. More like a radio play with different voice actors doing all the parts. And a brilliant story. The next part is out may next year. Can't wait and. Ant recommend it enough. Sounds like a tired premise when you read the synopsis but she brings it to life in a new way. Give them a go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

About 20 pages in but feel a ton has happened already;). 660 pages to go :D
    The fourth in the Faithful and the Fallen series from John Gwynne, an epic fantasy perfect for fans of George R. R. Martin, Brandon Sanderson and David Gemmell.
    Events are coming to a climax in the Banished Lands, as the war reaches new heights. King Nathair has taken control of the fortress at Drassil and three of the Seven Treasures are in his possession. And together with Calidus and his ally Queen Rhin, Nathair will do anything to obtain the remaining Treasures. With all seven under his command, he can open a portal to the Otherworld. Then Asroth and his demon-horde will finally break into the Banished Lands and become flesh.

Meanwhile Corban has been taken prisoner by the Jotun, warrior giants who ride their enormous bears into battle. His warband scattered, Corban must make new allies if he hopes to survive. But can he bond with competing factions of warlike giants? Somehow he must, if he's to counter the threat Nathair represents.

His life hangs in the balance - and with it, the fate of the Banished Lands.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,471 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

About halfway through Luna: Wolf Moon, and definitely feels a slightly different beast from the first book. If the previous novel was about setting the stage, the second is most certainly about completely upending it & throwing everything into disarray. I'm enjoying it, though like Luna: New Moon, I could do with fewer sex scenes; I'm far from a prude, but sometimes the explicit riding gets in the way of enjoying the story.

Can never shake the feeling though this book was written with half an eye on a TV adaptation. There's just the right amount of sex, violence & faction intrigue to make it an absolute shoe-in for anyone looking to ride along the Game of Thrones coattails. That's not a criticism I might add, because I think it'd make for a pretty gripping TV show - albeit one that'd need a station like HBO or Starz to properly visualise its harsh world.

pixelburp wrote: »
    About halfway through Luna: Wolf Moon, and definitely feels a slightly different beast from the first book. If the previous novel was about setting the stage, the second is most certainly about completely upending it & throwing everything into disarray. I'm enjoying it, though like Luna: New Moon, I could do with fewer sex scenes; I'm far from a prude, but sometimes the explicit riding gets in the way of enjoying the story.

Can never shake the feeling though this book was written with half an eye on a TV adaptation. There's just the right amount of sex, violence & faction intrigue to make it an absolute shoe-in for anyone looking to ride along the Game of Thrones coattails. That's not a criticism I might add, because I think it'd make for a pretty gripping TV show - albeit one that'd need a station like HBO or Starz to properly visualise its harsh world.

It was optioned as a TV show before the first book came out if I remember rightly.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Took a break from fantasy for a while and went back to Stephen King for a bit. Three books into a reread of the Dark Tower series (which I had no memory of reading previous) and I need a break. I found that Book 3, The Waste Lands was a chore to read. Anyway going to delve into a series Ive been meaning to ge tto for a while and since I have a lot of the books Im going to hit The Forgotten Realms books in this order and see how far I get. What are people thoughts on these book? I loved all the Dragon Lance books in the past.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Fantasy/comments/2emwsr/the_order_to_read_the_forgotten_realms_books/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭bullpost

Reading a Sci-Fi book for first time in many years.
    Its a classic, written in the 1960s.
    Amazing to read that a lot of the books from that era are now deemed dated and reality has overtaken fiction.

Anyway this one is beautifully written and as its set in our present time, very wide of the mark in terms of technological advancements, however its still relevant with whats going on with North Korea atm.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/669100.Greybeard

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im reading the A Canticle for Leibowitz, apparently a major sci-fi classic from the 60's that completely passed me by as I thought Id read pretty much all the famous ones over the years. Tbh Im just trudging through it, there isnt a whole lot to it at the halfway point, Im actually really unsure why its a classic at all, although I have had that feeling with a lot of Philip K Dick and other writers from back in the day so maybe the problem is with me. Personally I like my sci-fi as fresh and hard as possible not fuzzy semi-satire.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Thargor wrote: »
    Im reading the A Canticle for Leibowitz, apparently a major sci-fi classic from the 60's that completely passed me by as I thought Id read pretty much all the famous ones over the years. Tbh Im just trudging through it, there isnt a whole lot to it at the halfway point, Im actually really unsure why its a classic at all, although I have had that feeling with a lot of Philip K Dick and other writers from back in the day so maybe the problem is with me. Personally I like my sci-fi as fresh and hard as possible not fuzzy semi-satire.

I read it a few years ago and didn't really get the high praise for it either. I think though with some of the old classics, they've influenced future books so much that what made them unique back then is pretty standard now.

I read it a few years ago and didn't really get the high praise for it either. I think though with some of the old classics, they've influenced future books so much that what made them unique back then is pretty standard now.

Yes, that's it. I imagine it was ground breaking for its time with its views on religion. Its quite a few years since I last read it though.

An interesting article points out how it influenced later authors. And the unfortunate fate of the author.

https://www.newyorker.com/books/page-turner/science-fiction-classic-still-smolders
    "Its legacy can be seen in the works of Gene Wolfe, Margaret Atwood, and many other speculative-fiction authors who came after him, as well as in the current flood of end-of-the-world novels, TV shows, and movies."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

I think though with some of the old classics, they've influenced future books so much that what made them unique back then is pretty standard now.
    I think that's why I couldn't bear the LOTR... though I did struggle through the Hobbit. I got to those after I had read Terry Brooks/David Eddings etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

nhur wrote: »
    I think that's why I couldn't bear the LOTR... though I did struggle through the Hobbit. I got to those after I had read Terry Brooks/David Eddings etc

LOTR starts like a children's book and morphs. It's a long read, but I think there's a real innocent charm to it.
    I've read it twice (and I rarely do that) because it just makes me feel good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Reading Bernard Cornwell's "Grail Quest" books atm. Not fantasy, historical fiction, no magic. Very good though and there is alot of crossover between those genres.

Any Bernard Cornwell book tends to be worth a read but especially imo the ones set longer ago before muskets/rifles - i.e. I prefer the non-sharpe ones. There are alot to choose from.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/12542.Bernard_Cornwell

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Fian wrote: »
    Reading Bernard Cornwell's "Grail Quest" books atm. Not fantasy, historical fiction, no magic. Very good though and there is alot of crossover between those genres.

Any Bernard Cornwell book tends to be worth a read but especially imo the ones set longer ago before muskets/rifles - i.e. I prefer the non-sharpe ones. There are alot to choose from.

https://www.goodreads.com/author/show/12542.Bernard_Cornwell

I really enjoyed the one based around the making of Stonehenge

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

LOTR starts like a children's book and morphs. It's a long read, but I think there's a real innocent charm to it.
    I've read it twice (and I rarely do that) because it just makes me feel good.
    I think the charm is everything. I prefer it to most "modern" fantasy I've read.

I re-read the Hobbit this year (that made about 20 times if you include my youth) and still loved it. Also re-read FOTR and half of TTT (so far) and it was like wearing an old comfy pair of slippers.

I've struggled with some of the SF Masterworks series, but others in them (Clarke, Niven, Haldeman etc.) are the most memorable SF I've read. But it's true - just because it's old - it's not necessarily a classic!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Dades wrote: »
    I think the charm is everything. I prefer it to most "modern" fantasy I've read.

I re-read the Hobbit this year (that made about 20 times if you include my youth) and still loved it. Also re-read FOTR and half of TTT (so far) and it was like wearing an old comfy pair of slippers.

I've struggled with some of the SF Masterworks series, but others in them (Clarke, Niven, Haldeman etc.) are the most memorable SF I've read. But it's true - just because it's old - it's not necessarily a classic!

I enjoy the hobbit, but think LOTR is dross and in chronic need of an editor.

Of the masterworks series I am Legend is probably my favourite of them all.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

lordgoat wrote: »
    I enjoy the hobbit, but think LOTR is dross and in chronic need of an editor.

Of the masterworks series I am Legend is probably my favourite of them all.

LOTR was one I never really got into in my younger years. I loved I am Legend and more recently The girls with all the gifts and The boy on the bridge in a very similar vein. Of the masterworks The forever war would have been my highlight but I haven't read it for thirty odd years so no idea how well it stands up. Currently reading The stone sky which is really fantastic but heavy enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 399 ✭✭lsjmhar

I am reading a thread `What are you reading?`, a sci fi thread. Plot is a bit flat and character development is poor!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

The Passage, Justin Cronin. Definitely deep in The Stand territory,but I enjoyed the jump in the time frame, giving very little idea of what's coming next.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

lsjmhar wrote: »
    I am reading a thread `What are you reading?`, a sci fi thread. Plot is a bit flat and character development is poor!!!

Wait for the twist. (All of the other posters are DEAD, having perished in the great Comic Con disaster of '07...)

Advertisement