Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

keane2097 wrote: »
    Less than 2 quid for the first one on kindle at the moment I think.
    Thanks for the heads up. Another on the e-book pile to read at some future point.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

ixoy wrote: »
    Thanks for the heads up. Another on the e-book pile to read at some future point.

Yeah I bought it earlier when smacl confirmed David75's recommendation, very interested now after another ringing endorsement from Bluewolf!

I actually started Northern Lights last week after being told here not thinking much of the first one years ago was a bad reason not to keep at it. Not that far in but it's fairly charming!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I'm re reading the first inheritance book now. I remember enjoying it at the time but need a refresher before getting the next, and the last book of broken earth hit me hard so i want more of this author.

I might treat myself to more expanse novellas over xmas while i wait for the next novel, love them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

i somehow havent read the broken earth books!!

fixing that as of tomorrow

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

bluewolf wrote: »
    I'm re reading the first inheritance book now. I remember enjoying it at the time but need a refresher before getting the next, and the last book of broken earth hit me hard so i want more of this author.

I might treat myself to more expanse novellas over xmas while i wait for the next novel, love them

There are two additional novellas to the inheritance trilogy as well that are worth a read. Torn now between starting The Killing Moon or The three body problem. Also have Freedom (TM) and Rivers of London sitting in the queue so plenty to look forward to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

smacl wrote: »
    There are two additional novellas to the inheritance trilogy as well that are worth a read. Torn now between starting The Killing Moon or The three body problem. Also have Freedom (TM) and Rivers of London sitting in the queue so plenty to look forward to.

I'd totally forgotten about killing moon. Don't remember it having as much of an impact on me as her other stuff.
    Really enjoyed 3 body problem i think i read them all.
    I think i read the last darker shade ofmagic book recently, it's lighter than the other books mentioned recently but very enjoyable

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Less than 2 quid for the first one on kindle at the moment I think.

Just bought it too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

I am heading off on holidays tomorrow.

thanks to this thread in the last week i have installed on my kindle:

Oathbringer (Would definitely have gotten this anyway but this thread is where I realised it had been published)

the broken earth trilogy

The faithful and the fallen

and shortly before that the red queen trilogy from Martin Lawrence. I am >halfway through the second book - Liar's key, will finish that trilogy then move on to oathbringer, after that I'll have to pick between Gwynne and Jemisin, neither of which I have read before.

It is a breach holiday (in the canaries) so I will be doing plenty of reading on the beach/by the pool.

Anyway - I just wanted to say thanks for the recommendations, though if i hate Gwynne & Jemisin i will come back in 10 days or so to retract those thanks!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Fian wrote: »
    It is a breach holiday....

Definitely add 'The City and the City' so :p

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Just read The First Church on the Moon, John Higgs. Good read, like an edgier Douglas Adams. A bit derailed by poor editing though - typos all over the place.

• Advertisement

Finishing Way of Kings.

For the 3rd time.

Hindsight - Matthew Keegan

I’m not a fan of time travel usually but this book changed that. It’s brilliant. It’s on amazon for €4. Really well written and thought out. Give it a go you’ll be glad you did. This is the blurb

The year is 2065.
    The super-rich have a new way to vacation and collect rare items, Time Travel.
    One man can allow you to travel back in time to witness a major event, see an old friend or relative long gone or to attain a rare work of art.
    But you cannot interact, you cannot divert from the path and you must not change what takes place.
    Thomson Carr is the creator of the Market, a man ‘out of time’ most of his life, and with the assistance of a specially selected team he can offer these services.
    Martin Townes is a man that simply wants to right a wrong. Nothing more, and he’ll do whatever it takes to achieve it.
    Even if it means shattering time.
    Spanning hundreds of years in time, The Market will take us to places and lead us to mysteries we never had fully answered, offering a glimpse of what was, and always asking the question…

What would you change…in hindsight?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

david75 wrote: »
    Hindsight - Matthew Keegan
    Sounds interesting, but...

Only mates' review on Amazon... no mention at all on Goodreads.

*Danger!*

Dades wrote: »
    Sounds interesting, but...

Only mates' review on Amazon... no mention at all on Goodreads.

*Danger!*

It’s been submitted to goodreads afaik. But it is a great book. Can see it doing well and growing legs if it gets in front of people.

/WoR

Got Arcanum Unbounded so I can read Edgedancer before Oathbringer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Emperor's Blades by Brian Staveley.

I'm enjoying this having taken a break from Fantasy for a while. Nice pace and three viewpoints of the main plot.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Trojan wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a few more women or minority sf/f authors? I'm trying to diversify my reading a bit more, my reading list looks something like a Trump cabinet :)

I'm 20% of the way into Octavia Butler's Dawn at the moment and am enjoying it so far. Haven't read her other books but have heard good things about her work generally.

Also, I'd recommend Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr, pseudonym of Alice B. Sheldon. Great short story writer.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

finished old man's war by scalzi. Really enjoyed it. not a huge plotline but a great idea and well written. recommended.

finished old man's war by scalzi. Really enjoyed it. not a huge plotline but a great idea and well written. recommended.

There’s a few follow ups to it that get better and better than it suddenly switches to the main characters daughters POV and I just couldn’t get into it. But the ones after old mans war are definitely worth reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Does the character POV
    change to some randomer
    in Ghost Brigades? I seem to remember that happening and never ending up finishing it despite enjoying the first one for the most part (seem to remember it tailing off towards the end a bit).

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Does the character POV
    change to some randomer
    in Ghost Brigades? I seem to remember that happening and never ending up finishing it despite enjoying the first one for the most part (seem to remember it tailing off towards the end a bit).
    It's not a randomer as you'll learn later but don't want to spoilt it :)

To the person looking for female authors; Elizabeth Moon wrote a nice series called Vatta's war. It's a bit slow to start but picks up speed; nothing unique or completely mind blowing concept but good old sf. If you liked the Paksenarion series you'll know what you're in for (and if you've not read that series pick it up afterwards).

Claudia Gray wrote two books called Bloodline and Princess Leia of alderaan
    Brilliant Books About Princess Leia in the 30 years between return of the Jedi and the force awakens. Well worth reading especially as they both tie into the Last Jedi. Not sure if any of you have heard of it :)

/Edgedancer.

Finally on to Oathbringer! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Back from Gran Canaria yesterday. I finished off the Red Queen Trilogy and read the Broken earth trilogy while there. Both really enjoyable.

Now started Oathbringer, began it near the end of plane trip home, but tbh I may to refresh myself on the story so far before continuing. I think there is a recap available on his website.

Fian wrote: »
    Now started Oathbringer, began it near the end of plane trip home, but tbh I may to refresh myself on the story so far before continuing. I think there is a recap available on his website.

I tried to do the recap thing (there's one on the Tor site somewhere), but there's just so much detail in it that I felt I had to go back and re-read the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭vasch_ro

I'm 20% of the way into Octavia Butler's Dawn at the moment and am enjoying it so far. Haven't read her other books but have heard good things about her work generally.

Also, I'd recommend Her Smoke Rose Up Forever by James Tiptree Jr, pseudonym of Alice B. Sheldon. Great short story writer.

Butlers Dawn sounds very interesting might give it a spin thanks !

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭reece289

Trojan wrote: »
    There's a lot of non-fans too. I like some of her earliest work (i.e the first 3-6 books) but some or most of her last 10 or so books have not been for me. Soldiers Son - ugh. IMO in the latest series, you could rip book 1 in half, throw away the first part, and miss almost nothing.

--

Really struggling with the Elizabeth Bear book. I really want to like it, but I just don't care enough about any of the characters, and the plot isn't doing it. I'm also surprised that the editors didn't insist she cut out a whole subplot, particularly since it was her debut. I'm going to finish book 1, and try the start of book 2 to see if it improves.

Can anyone recommend a few more women or minority sf/f authors? I'm trying to diversify my reading a bit more, my reading list looks something like a Trump cabinet
    :)
    In fairness if you want to diversify you really should read some vox day stuff. Only fair.

I suggest Vox Day's Opera Vita Aeterna. It's a Hugo Award nominee.

Happy reading...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

A very silly series that I enjoy

Pincers of Death (Space Captain Smith Book 6)

I see that the 7th expanse book is out on December 7th also.

Persepolis Rising: Book 7 of the Expanse

And heres me thinking I had given up on these endless series books.. Ah well, something new to read anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

machalla wrote: »
    Persepolis Rising: Book 7 of the Expanse

And heres me thinking I had given up on these endless series books.. Ah well, something new to read anyway!

I was completely sick of them by the end of the last 2 books but Ill probably end up reading that to see what happens, I absolutely hate the main characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,552 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Oathbringer is out?! How did I miss this?! Thank you thread! This solves the whole "oh Ave, what do you want for xmas" thing! Gives me time to reread that others first! Woo! Just made my day!

Advertisement