Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

machalla wrote: »
    A very silly series that I enjoy

Pincers of Death (Space Captain Smith Book 6)

I see that the 7th expanse book is out on December 7th also.

Persepolis Rising: Book 7 of the Expanse

And heres me thinking I had given up on these endless series books.. Ah well, something new to read anyway!
    New expanse book!! Yes!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Finished Oathbringer last night. Strongly beginning to believe that the Stormlight Archive is going to be one of those series mentioned with the same reverence as Malazan. It really is Sanderson's master-piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Finished Where Loyalties Lie by Rob J. Hayes, which is an ok pirate fantasy.
    Finished Bird Box by Josh Malerman which was a fairly boring end of the world type read.
    Finished The Crippled God, last book in the Malazan series! I think I started the series in around 2010-2011 so been a long time coming. Last book was very good overall and tied up a lot of loose ends but there were still quite a few left open, which I would have liked closure on.
    Then I read Inversion by Iain M. Banks. I think this is the weakest book of his that I've read, it was a fantasy more than sci-fi, and there wasn't really much point to either of the characters stories.
    Now reading Thrawn by Timothy Zahn, the new Star Wars canon book detailing Thrawn's origins. It's a fairly fast read so far but not as good as Heir to the Empire for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Behold the man, Michael Moorcock

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Just finished Oathbringer. Should have kept it for Christmas :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭munsterdevil

Late to the party

The Stand by Stephen King

Part of my Dark Tower journey ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Xofpod wrote: »
    Behold the man, Michael Moorcock

That's a very topical choice around Christmas, I like it.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Trojan wrote: »
    Just finished Oathbringer. Should have kept it for Christmas :/
    And you read the others? Are you a lightning-fast reader?
    Despite all the epic fantasies, I've always been a slow reader which is a nightmare for keeping up with all the authors. I'm 87% into "Oathbringer" and really enjoying it. It's epic and I love some of the revelations.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ah guys, really jazzing me up about Oathbringer now! May do a reread now before my library book comes!

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

sounds like i need to get on the Stormlight Archive bandwagon! if only i hadn't started an epic series of books!! (Revelation Space series - loving it so far btw - proper epic)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That's the one with the fella with four fingers?

is it? i'm on book 2... Chasm City - main guy is Tanner Mirabel... pretty sure he's got all his fingers... :)

Ah no I was thinking of the first law one.

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭CastielJ

The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1) by S.A. Chakraborty

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley.

It been a while since I had to stay reading just one more chapter before I go to bed.

I'm enjoying this second book immensely but time for bed now.

Maybe....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Now!

Now I'm going to bed!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

The Providence of Fire by Brian Staveley.

It been a while since I had to stay reading just one more chapter before I go to bed.

I'm enjoying this second book immensely but time for bed now.

Maybe....

really enjoyed this series

Just about to finish Mark Lawrences second trilogy.

Enjoyed it but not as much as Jorg. Got pretty fed up with reading how scared the main character was every second page. Lead to alot of paragraph jumping. Liked the side characters alot. Watch me!

I'll also prob read Sanderson over christmas based on this thread. Haven't read any of his books yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Had the exact same thoughts about Red Queens War, a lot of paragraph hopping because yet again the main character was repeating himself about how he'd rather be whoring back in Red Watch instead of at sea, walking through snow, in danger etc. A lot of repetition and padding. No where near as good as Thorns.

Providence of Fire looks interesting thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I stopped at the second book in that series not because of anything just never got around to it. Suppose that's says it all.
    Found the Red Sister book to be excellent though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

nhur wrote: »
    (Revelation Space series - loving it so far btw - proper epic)
    Its a brillaint series of books...chasm city is an amazing read.

If you're looking for another good sci fi series (one of the best imho look at the Gap series )

I actually picked the first stormbringer book by chance and really enjoying it so am glad that the 3rd one is getting such great reviews.

• Advertisement

Its a brillaint series of books...chasm city is an amazing read.

If you're looking for another good sci fi series (one of the best imho look at the Gap series )

I actually picked the first stormbringer book by chance and really enjoying it so am glad that the 3rd one is getting such great reviews.

Where should we start if we want to give that series a go?

keane2097 wrote: »
    Where should we start if we want to give that series a go?
    Revelation space series or the Gap one?

Sorry, Revelation Space I was talking about. There seems to be some books that are in the same universe that may or may not be part of the one series.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

CastielJ wrote: »
    The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1) by S.A. Chakraborty

ha, i just read the preview and bought it yesterday. really good so far

keane2097 wrote: »
    Sorry, Revelation Space I was talking about. There seems to be some books that are in the same universe that may or may not be part of the one series.
    Yeah I know what you mean.Most of them are worth reading :)

The 3 books are :
    revelation Space
    Redemption Ark
    Absolution Gap

I would highly recommend reading chasm city first.It's pretty much a stand alone book with sly references to the universe its set in but you only realise after reading his other books :)

Yeah I know what you mean.Most of them are worth reading :)

The 3 books are :
    revelation Space
    Redemption Ark
    Absolution Gap

I would highly recommend reading chasm city first.It's pretty much a stand alone book with sly references to the universe its set in but you only realise after reading his other books :)
    so... i just have a compilation book (revelation space collection) which has the following (in order): "Contains seven fantastic novels: REVELATION SPACE, CHASM CITY, REDEMPTION ARK, ABSOLUTION GAP, THE PREFECT, DIAMOND DOGS & TURQUOISE DAYS and GALACTIC NORTH"
    and i'm working my way thru them.

That Gap Cycle by Donaldson? I've read his Thomas Covenant stuff and loved it... though very dark! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

so... i just have a compilation book (revelation space collection) which has the following (in order): "Contains seven fantastic novels: REVELATION SPACE, CHASM CITY, REDEMPTION ARK, ABSOLUTION GAP, THE PREFECT, DIAMOND DOGS & TURQUOISE DAYS and GALACTIC NORTH"
    and i'm working my way thru them.

That Gap Cycle by Donaldson? I've read his Thomas Covenant stuff and loved it... though very dark! :)

The Gap Cycle makes Thomas Covenant look like Tellytubbies :eek:

Diamond Dogs is a very good novella from what I remember.

Oddly enough I found the thomas covenant boring...never finished them and attempted a few times so was amazed with sci-fi effort.

Seriously read the gap series and thank me later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Really enjoyed the Fred the Vampire books! Very easy reading so didn't realise I was going through them so fast. In the middle I left my phone in Scotland however so had to take up a new series as my books were on the phone.
    So finishing Daughter of the Empire now, have the other two books ready to go. Had forgotten I'd put them on my reading list after reading the Riftwar saga.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Really enjoyed the Fred the Vampire books! Very easy reading so didn't realise I was going through them so fast. In the middle I left my phone in Scotland however so had to take up a new series as my books were on the phone.
    So finishing Daughter of the Empire now, have the other two books ready to go. Had forgotten I'd put them on my reading list after reading the Riftwar saga.

Love all those books. Feist is my favourite fantasy author. But Riftwar and Empire series bring me great joy still 20 years later.

Advertisement