Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Quick Question, didn't really think it's worthy of a new thread and it kind of fits here.

Does anyone else actively avoid starting a series that isn't complete? For example I've stopped GOT about 2 books ago as I got fed up waiting for him to get his **** together. In no way do I feel I've missed out. Rothfuss the same. but granted his will only be a trilogy so not too bad.

I was all set to read Sandersons latest but then found out book three is not the end of it so that's off the menu

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

lordgoat wrote: »
    Quick Question, didn't really think it's worthy of a new thread and it kind of fits here.

Does anyone else actively avoid starting a series that isn't complete? For example I've stopped GOT about 2 books ago as I got fed up waiting for him to get his **** together. In no way do I feel I've missed out. Rothfuss the same. but granted his will only be a trilogy so not too bad.

I was all set to read Sandersons latest but then found out book three is not the end of it so that's off the menu

I'd be hesistant, but it wouldn't put me off. I'm currently waiting on Sarah J Maas to finish her next Throne of Glass book, the next GOT book, the next Dark Artifices book. I've yet to get the new Stormlight one but I've read the first two. I started reading Harry Potter, the Mediator and Eragon (from those I know off the top of my head)before they were finished, though that's likely true of everyone over a certain age who has read Harry Potter.

Not sure if I would start an entirely new author with an entirely new series though. It depends on reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

Love all those books. Feist is my favourite fantasy author.

I got Magician signed by him when I was 14 in Easons on O'Connell street :D

Asked him would he be writimg any modules for D&D set in midkemia(he wrote a few things for tsr games)..he laughed and said no but there was nothing stopping me from doing it :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Rothfuss the same. but granted his will only be a trilogy so not too bad.
    If that ends up being a trilogy I'll be very surprised based on were the second book ended (and book 1 & 2 are both 600+ pages in the first place).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭aligator_am

Just finished the audiobook of Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, have really enjoyed the series so far.

Also going to re-read the first two Kingkiller Chronicle books after that, hopefully by the time I'm finished the 3rd book will be out (well, I can hope can't I? lol).

Actually also periodically reading a very good story on fanfiction called arise the azure blue I think, it's about the Britain of 1981 being transported back to the 1700's, I'm enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Noting that "The Magicians" was coming back on TV shortly, I started "The Magician King", the second book in Lev Grossman's Magicians trilogy. I'm now mentally mapping the TV characters into the book and enjoying this a lot more than the first one - Quentin is considerably less whiny in this one. It's a breezy enough read after the heavier "Oathbringer" and happy with it so far (58% in). I do think though I'm reading some season three plot lines of the TV show if the name of the first episode is anything to go by...

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

finished Chasm City - great twists - telegraphed but only a little before the reveal so it totally worked for me. On to the next Revelation one now.

Watched a decent bit of the Magicians series and was nonplussed. Felt it was very adolescent - both the characters attitudes and the lack of a comprehensive set of 'rules' on how things work - along the lines of Harry Potter and Hobbit/Lord of the Rings where there seems to be inconvenient memory loss of earlier used magics etc and a lot of Deus ex Machina stuff which wrecks my buzz. Think my wife is still watching it though and she'll let me know if it gets better :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭irishman86

I'd be the same buddy, GOT broke me after WOT had kicked me down in the first place
    I just buy completed series these days

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Im the same, never start an unfinished series anymore, dont even put it on my reader if I get a 99p bargain or something like that. I dont think Rothfuss will ever finish Doors of Stone at this stage, somethings obviously gone wrong and he's given up. Id have more faith in GRRM getting his next 2 out before that.

Thargor wrote: »
    Im the same, never start an unfinished series anymore, dont even put it on my reader if I get a 99p bargain or something like that. I dont think Rothfuss will ever finish Doors of Stone at this stage, somethings obviously gone wrong and he's given up. Id have more faith in GRRM getting his next 2 out before that.

I have no faith in either of them at this stage.

PR seems to be the better troll though. 10th year special edition of book 1.... of a trilogy... At least GRRM pisses off on huge book tours and makes tv shows etc.

Started R S Bakker last night, can't think of the name. Good opening 7%!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Nody wrote: »
    If that ends up being a trilogy I'll be very surprised based on were the second book ended (and book 1 & 2 are both 600+ pages in the first place).

there is no way he can finish it in one more book, not well anyway.
    book 2 was big and still felt vey rushed

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I have no faith in either of them at this stage.

PR seems to be the better troll though. 10th year special edition of book 1.... of a trilogy... At least GRRM pisses off on huge book tours and makes tv shows etc.

Started R S Bakker last night, can't think of the name. Good opening 7%!!
    Prince of Nothing? Let us know what you think, Im handing the first trilogy out as Christmas presents to a few people this year, hope people love them as much as I did, my favourite series of all time I think.

Just one little bit of bad news though... theres still one book to be written yet :D

Prince of Nothing? Let us know what you think, Im handing the first trilogy out as Christmas presents to a few people this year, hope people love them as much as I did, my favourite series of all time I think.
    I loved them too...dark and nicely vicious as well. Although his style isn't for everyone. Heavy on the philosophy at times :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Listening to 'Time Travel' by James Gleick on Audible. It's about the history of time travel fiction, but it also goes into 20th century physics, and cultural notions of time, the future, infinity, time capsules etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

I loved them too...dark and nicely vicious as well. Although his style isn't for everyone. Heavy on the philosophy at times :)

Heavy on throbbing members as well.

keane2097 wrote: »
    Heavy on throbbing members as well.
    that too lol

jcd5971 wrote: »
    there is no way he can finish it in one more book, not well anyway.
    book 2 was big and still felt vey rushed
    Probably doesn't care any more now that he's getting a TV show out of it all.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Just finished the audiobook of Oathbringer by Brandon Sanderson, have really enjoyed the series so far.
    r.

I'm about half way through the audio book of way of kings at the moment.
    I'm enjoying it even though it's quite political and still scene setting (I assume). With no obvious "baddie" yet, while still being very character dense, it's a lot to take in, but I'm hoping for a clearer story line to develop soon enough.

Just one little bit of bad news though... theres still one book to be written yet :D

haha you made me double check for a book 4!

Will get stuck into these over Christmas and will prob roll into the following 4 if I enjoy!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Now that I got my Stormlight Archive fix, I'm going back to the other stories in Arcanum Unbound. Some good stuff in there, and the post-script notes are interesting as ever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed it overall, though it's not perfect - lags a bit in the middle.

Read American Gods by Neil Gaiman. I enjoyed it overall, though it's not perfect - lags a bit in the middle.

Watched the TV series recently - I was a bit underwhelmed by the last episode. It seemed to rely on one particular revelation that I think was meant to be a surprise to the viewer, but I don't think it would have been a surprise to most people.

Watched the TV series recently - I was a bit underwhelmed by the last episode. It seemed to rely on one particular revelation that I think was meant to be a surprise to the viewer, but I don't think it would have been a surprise to most people.

Thought the tv show was awful in comparison to the book.

Ruined by the score - Brian Reitzell. Much like he made Hannibal unwatchable for me.

Every scene does not need dramatic music.

had intended reading the book (american gods) until I started watching that tv show... brutal... in spite of lovejoy/Al Swearengen!

I've just bought two copies of 'The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August' to give to people as presents. (Chapters had it in the crime and sci-fi sections, Easons had it in general fiction.) It's essentially a version of time travel without any technology so I'd class it as sci-fi/fantasy or magical realism.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

nhur wrote: »
    had intended reading the book (american gods) until I started watching that tv show... brutal... in spite of lovejoy/Al Swearengen!

I enjoyed it well enough at the time but reckon Anansi Boys and Neverwhere were better books if you're into Gaiman. For me a lot of his books border on young adult sci-fi but I admit to finding them great fun for all that. I enjoyed the TV series of American Gods apart from the main character who was a bit lacklustre.

'The First Fifteen Lives of Harry August'
    great book - loved it... and I wouldn't be a fan of non-unidirectional time travel (except when it comes to 80s movies!)
    smacl wrote: »
    I enjoyed it well enough at the time but reckon Anansi Boys and Neverwhere were better books if you're into Gaiman.
    Neverwhere i've read (a long time ago) - loved it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

ixoy wrote: »
    Noting that "The Magicians" was coming back on TV shortly, I started "The Magician King", the second book in Lev Grossman's Magicians trilogy. I'm now mentally mapping the TV characters into the book and enjoying this a lot more than the first one - Quentin is considerably less whiny in this one. It's a breezy enough read after the heavier "Oathbringer" and happy with it so far (58% in). I do think though I'm reading some season three plot lines of the TV show if the name of the first episode is anything to go by...

Did you finish this? Worth a look? I wasn't a fan of book 1 but if it has significantly improved I'll give it a go.

Trojan wrote: »
    Did you finish this? Worth a look? I wasn't a fan of book 1 but if it has significantly improved I'll give it a go.
    I finished it and it has improved - but not significantly. Quentin is hugely improved IMO although Julia is a bit of an awful person. The other characters barely feature (a bit of a shame as I grew to like them on the TV show)
    The other problems from the first book persist - there's germs of interesting ideas that are quickly glossed over. It's not thankfully just to listen to Quentin whinge but it's still frustrating.
    The plot still doesn't feel particularly planned either. It all feels a bit aimless and the finale is a bit of a disappointment.
    It's a more enjoyable read than the first but it's a 3-star book in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

the new phillip pullman book was great, looking forward to the next one.
    ditto for expanse book 7.
    city of brass is probably my next one

Advertisement