Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Ok, so I got Oathbringer from my library after some wait. Bring it home and leave it on kitchen table.
    Walk the dog and come to my girlfriend telling me I ruined Christmas.
    She had bought it as present, can't even get books from the library now!
    Also, I can't read it until Christmas Day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 258 ✭✭Army_of_One

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Ok, so I got Oathbringer from my library after some wait. Bring it home and leave it on kitchen table.
    lol hate that :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Have The Girl With All The Gifts for Christmas reading, and it's very good so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Get a sample on the Kindle.

But don't tell her I told you:D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Sure you can't read that book, but you could look at a site such as this one...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,556 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Get a sample on the Kindle.

But don't tell her I told you:D
    ixoy wrote: »
    Sure you can't read that book, but you could look at a site such as this one...

That's dishonest, boo hiss!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finished Freedom over the Christmas (sequel to Daemon). Like the original, very readable and entertaining but very much more of the first book. If you enjoyed the original (I did) worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Sleeping Beauties, by Stephen King; a christmas present.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

I know I posted this already and I’m sorry but I sat down again last night and read this book again in one sitting. It really is astonishingly good. And I’m not overselling it. Do yourself a massive favour and get it. This is dying to be made into a tv series and apparently they have a sequel on the way. Get in on the ground floor. It’s like €3 on Amazon. I’m blown away with what they did here. Time travel never spoke to me at all. But I’ve never seen it done so well. Impact. Cause. Effect. Result. I could go on and on. Give it a go.

https://www.facebook.com/HindsightTheNovel/

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

44% into Neal Asher's "Infinity Engine", the final book in his Transformations trilogy. Enjoyable as ever - I think Asher's ability at characterisation has improved over the years, evident in my liking a number of the characters. Plenty of high tech as well, although perhaps so far lacking a little in some of the high-octane action although I suspect that's going to change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Yeah his Polity stuff is brilliant. The Owner Trilogy is good aswell, massively overpopulated Earth run by a fascist world government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Just finished book 3, The last mortal bond by Brian Staveley. Gladly finished as I might have a chance to get a sleep pattern back again.

Super story well told. The only weakness for me was Adares storyline. It seemed a bit stuck on and there to move the other storylines onwards.

Onto Shogun by James Clavell now, it's almost fantasy, dealing with a journey into an unknown society.

Tomorrow though, sleep beckons.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

+1 for Clavell... Historical fiction... Dying to get to Hong Kong after reading Tai-Pan (set at the founding of HK) and the Noble House ( same dynastic family set in the 80s...and made into a watchable TV movie with pierce brosnan)

nhur wrote: »
    +1 for Clavell... Historical fiction... Dying to get to Hong Kong after reading Tai-Pan (set at the founding of HK) and the Noble House ( same dynastic family set in the 80s...and made into a watchable TV movie with pierce brosnan)

Shogun is one of my books that Ive read every 2/3 years since I was in my mid teens but could never click with the rest of the books in the series.

Shogun was made into a tv series with Richard Chamberlain...I remember it as being good but maybe it hasn't aged well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Liu Cixin - the wandering earth . I got it for Christmas and I'm really enjoying it .

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Liu Cixin - the wandering earth . I got it for Christmas and I'm really enjoying it .

Just started into The Three Body Problem last night and loving it.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Done with known space books. Reading dragons egg by Robert l forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Done with known space books. Reading dragons egg by Robert l forward.

I quite liked Dragons Egg and also Liu Cixins Three Body Problem trilogy.

I finished Star Wars Thrawn which was ok, but if it wasn't about Thrawn I probably wouldn't have finished it.
    Also read Star Wars Aftermath by Chuck Wendig which is set after the original trilogy but before The Force Awakens. It would also probably not have been finished if it wasn't Star Wars though I heard the series gets better.

On top of those I read The House of Shattered Wings by Aliette de Bodard, which is set in Paris after a magical war involving fallen angels. I don't get the critical acclaim for this, the only thing it has going for it is an original setting (and even then we don't get to see more than one or two very small parts of Paris).
    Then it was The Collapsing Empire by John Scalzi, it was ok, better than any
    of the above and I'll read the next one when it comes out.
    All of that in a rush to reach my reading goal for the year of 50 books, but I just missed out.
    I'm now reading The Scarab Path by Adrian Tchaikovsky, Book 5 in Shadows of the Apt series). Really liking it so far, centred around some of the main characters but there are also hints that the world is about to expand and I'll get to see some new types of Kinden.

I thought that Thrawn book was complete and utter crap. Pointless boring story badly that read like bad fan fiction. Such a disappointment. The original Thrawn trilogy is still one of the best Sci fi series you can read though and I don't even like Star Wars.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Shogun was made into a tv series with Richard Chamberlain...I remember it as being good but maybe it hasn't aged well :)
    I liked it - watched it a couple of years ago.. along with Tai-Pan and The Noble House (after reading the books, of course). :)

• Advertisement

nhur wrote: »
    watched it a couple of years ago :)
    must watch it again so..was hesitant cos I didn't want my memories of it to be ruined :)

That Star Wars aftermath trilogy is a real chore and it does improve after the first. It’s the low point of the new Star Wars canon. Bloodline(about Leia in the new republic and setting up the resistance) Lost stars, dark disciple, perfect weapon, Lords of the sith, Tarkin-all far better and worthy of your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,927 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Listening to the audiobook of Artemis. Ticking along nicely so far.

Rosario Dawson is a good fit as narrator but can't but help slipping into thinking I'm watching an episode of Archer, her voice is so similar to Aisha Tyler's Lana Kane. Or is it possible to be raciallly prejudice to a voice, haha

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I have to say I'm loving Liu Cixin The Wandering earth. Really great surprise how good it is .

smacl wrote: »
    Just started into The Three Body Problem last night and loving it.

I have this series and keep putting them off. I must get to them.

Just over a third the way through Three body problem.

Yeah. This book is mental.

I have to say I'm loving Liu Cixin The Wandering earth. Really great surprise how good it is .
    Just ordered thanks, never heard of it and Ive read his other stuff.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Fire and Fury - Book 1 of a new series. Parallel universe in a dystopian United states who are under the control of a maniac overlord. Not sure where it's going. Tragically funny in places.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

lordgoat wrote: »
    Fire and Fury - Book 1 of a new series. Parallel universe in a dystopian United states who are under the control of a maniac overlord. Not sure where it's going. Tragically funny in places.
    Are you sure it's a parallel universe and not someone's diary of the 2016 election?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Boy on the bridge, M.R. Carey. A big disappointment after the first book - just felt so unnecessary.

Advertisement