Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

I was reading The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater but the books were on my phone and a sheep decided that it needed to be stomped on :pac:
    So until I can get them uploaded onto my new one I rooted through my bookcase for some unread titles (We all have that 'part' of the bookcase....right???)
    Found a load of David Baldacci books, taken from my cousin as he was going to throw them out, sacrilege in my opinion so I ended up with them.
    And I'm fecking loving them. Read The Innocent in about a day and now onto The Forgotten. Sometimes I get so caught up in fantasy series' that I forget how good a gripping thriller is.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

I was reading The Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater but the books were on my phone and a sheep decided that it needed to be stomped on :pac:
    So until I can get them uploaded onto my new one I rooted through my bookcase for some unread titles (We all have that 'part' of the bookcase....right???)
    Found a load of David Baldacci books, taken from my cousin as he was going to throw them out, sacrilege in my opinion so I ended up with them.
    And I'm fecking loving them. Read The Innocent in about a day and now onto The Forgotten. Sometimes I get so caught up in fantasy series' that I forget how good a gripping thriller is.

What kind of sheep?

lordgoat wrote: »
    What kind of sheep?

One with big fecking feet and a disregard for Samsungs!!!

I'm gonna guess.... cheviot.

Also you were asking about Shanarra, pretty bog standard gateway fantasy if i remember correctly. Didn't enjoy it as a teenager - a long time ago...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Vicious picked up a little bit but not enough for me to recommend it. It's isn't bad, it just doesn't stand out from the 100 similar YA books.
    After that I read William Wilde and the Necrosed by Davis Ashura, which was sold to me as being similar to the show Stranger Things.
    It's not.
    It's another generic YA book with the main character finding out he is magic but more magic than any other magic person etc...
    After two YA in a row I needed something a bit more serious so read Daughter of Eden by Chris Beckett, the third book (and possibly final) in a series about some humans stuck on a dark planet with no communication with earth. I quite enjoyed it, the planet itself and its' wildlife is interesting but this one focused more on the different cultures and 'religions' that had developed and how their myths and beliefs are challenged when earth returns.
    Finished listening to The Hero of Ages by Brandon Sanderson. The mistborn series hasn't a patch on Stormlight Archives, so much repetition... Next up to listen to is Artemis by Andy Weir.
    In an effort to try finish a few more series before starting new ones, I'm reading The White Rose by Glen Cook, book 3 in the Black Company series.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

I have started Legend by Gemmell

I have that in my to-read pile, let me know how it goes!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

lordgoat wrote: »
    really disliked the ending og book 3 of The First Law - it's like he got bored and wanted out.
    wyrn wrote: »
    Same here. I initially loved it but by the end I really found myself disappointed. Not sure why, could never put my finger on when I went off the series. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this.

I wasn't really keen on this series. Thought it was overrated - I mean it's not terrible, but seems to have a massive following.

--

Read "Coldmaker", which I mentioned above - worth a look.

Next was "Zero Day" by David Baldacci, which is a thriller but it was so horrible I had to mention here :) The main character is almost identical to Jack Reacher (seriously, he has at least 20 distinctive features in common). I had read something of Baldacci's previously so I know he can be a good author but this was terrible.

I tried "Mazirian the Magician" by Jack Vance, but found it very difficult to get into. This style is not my thing. Reminds me of Gormenghast.

Tempted to do a Gemmell re-read as I've a lot of work on, just looking for something easy going :)

I feel so old. I read Gemmell almost 20 years ago. Druss you were always a good page turner for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭bootser

wyrn wrote:
    Same here. I initially loved it but by the end I really found myself disappointed. Not sure why, could never put my finger on when I went off the series. I'm glad I'm not the only one who found this.

+1 even found it the same in a later reread. Still recommend anyone to give it a shot though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

Sheep are Apple snobs. Sorry if some find that sheepisht, but that's my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 742 ✭✭✭goose06

Just finished A Rage of Dragons by Evan Winter and I have to say I really enjoyed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,611 ✭✭✭david75

Just took the plunge and started the Mistborn trilogy.

Really enjoying it so far.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

david75 wrote: »
    Just took the plunge and started the Mistborn trilogy.

Really enjoying it so far.
    First book was great but it's downhill from there imo; I've tried finishing the third book four times and failed every time due to being bored out of my mind.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

45% into "The Hanging Tree" by Ben Aaronvitch, the sixth book in his PC Grant series. Enjoyable as ever - lots of fun sci-fi references, humour and a good story. Could be me though but he's now begun to reference events in his comic book series, which is a bit distracting (and they're just expensive to buy right now).

ixoy wrote: »
    45% into "The Hanging Tree" by Ben Aaronvitch, the sixth book in his PC Grant series. Enjoyable as ever - lots of fun sci-fi references, humour and a good story. Could be me though but he's now begun to reference events in his comic book series, which is a bit distracting (and they're just expensive to buy right now).

DIdnt know he had a new one out thank you!! Love this series!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

The White Rose was quite good, though I feel it was a little rushed at the end. This might be due to me thinking it was the end of the series but looks like there is another 6 books (and some other related ones too) :o

Now reading Raven Stratagem by Yoon Ha Lee, the follow up to Ninefox Gambit. It is as crazy and confusing as the the first, but something keeps me interested. It is Sci-Fi as there are space ships etc but it is all powered by 'magic' based on calendars and torture.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Reading the third part of Ian Tregillis' 'Alchemy Wars' series, 'The Liberation'. It's set in an alternate universe where the Dutch become the preeminent power in the world, off the backs of sentient-but-enslaved clockwork robots. The only remaining European power is France, relocated to Canada and under constant threat of collapse.

The third part so far keeps up the intrigue of the first two books, with most of the main characters still at odds with each other, although the second novel definitely had the most 'blockbuster' elements thus far, this latest slice running then at a lower gear, pacing wise.

Tregillis' writing is weird: he alternates between some deft compositions & prose, and otherwise pretty clunky, grisly descriptions of the frequent carnage that befalls his world. It's partially down to him echoing the personalities of his points-of-view characters that he follows per chapter, but it makes the writing feel inconsistent and a bit needlessly vulgar at times (even if some of the characters are exactly that!)

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Never heard of them, thanks for that.

ixoy wrote: »

About two thirds through the audiobook. Loving it! The narrator is brilliant. Sounds exactly like your imagine Grant would. And he’s great with the other characters and accent. Nightingale in particular! Thanks for the heads up!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

Just finished the Bobiverse series.  Human AI's colonising the stars. 
    It reads like it was fanfiction at some point, harmless but an easy enough read.  A lot of geek references throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭donegal_man

About to start "The Court Of Broken Knives" by Anna Smith Spark.
    "It’s bleak, I suppose. There’s pain in it, and grief, and, yes, some pretty hardcore violence. But there’s also hope, and love, and humour, and bad dick jokes." Author's review

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Back into the Dark Tower series with "Wizard and Glass"

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Just finishing up the Broken Kingdom, which is book two in NK Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy.

The first one was quite good, this one is fairly decent. Worth a read I think especially as they are not massive tomes. Not too pushed about reading the third in this series as it seems to have mixed reviews and I'm not exactly passionate about the first two.

Worth giving her other trilogy a go if I had a lukewarm reaction to this one?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

keane2097 wrote: »
    Just finishing up the Broken Kingdom, which is book two in NK Jemisin's Inheritance trilogy.

The first one was quite good, this one is fairly decent. Worth a read I think especially as they are not massive tomes. Not too pushed about reading the third in this series as it seems to have mixed reviews and I'm not exactly passionate about the first two.

Worth giving her other trilogy a go if I had a lukewarm reaction to this one?

Yes, i don't even remember books 2 and 3 of Inheritance, but broken earth will stay with me forever. Especially the third book, i felt it was the best. Much better trilogy overall imo

bluewolf wrote: »
    Yes, i don't even remember books 2 and 3 of Inheritance, but broken earth will stay with me forever. Especially the third book, i felt it was the best

Thanks for that. I'm glad to get advice to stick with her actually, there's something about the books I really like without being able to put my finger on it - maybe it's just a feeling of potential.

Cant wait to read Broken Earth.

I read Annihilation ages ago, wasnt mad about it or anything but it was good, VanderMeer is definitely a higher quality writer than his peers, a lot of the imagery really stayed with me in a way other books dont (was actually shocked at how close some of the scenes in the film were to my memories of the book, especially the shots of the lighthouse...) but after watching the film I picked up the last two in the trilogy, Authority and Acceptance, absolutely brilliant, so creepy and depressing, couldn't put them down.

Is the film any good?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is the film any good?
    I haven't read the book, but the film was pretty interesting. It's more "Arrival" than "Aliens" in terms of thinkyness.

• Advertisement

Is the film any good?
    It was never boring and had some good moments but ultimately unsatisfying but I always find these kinds of films unsatisfying when they dont explain things fully but the first book was like that aswell.

Advertisement