Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

lordgoat wrote:
    Started Mistborn book 1 by Sanderson last night, enjoying it so far.

Awww wish I was starting that again for the first time!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I finished Theft of Swords, while it doesn't do anything new or amazing and is a fairly standard fantasy novel, what it does do it does well. I plan to read the rest of the series.
    I listened to Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison. This does not seem to have aged well at all, it was pretty terrible and if I wasn't driving I think I'd have spent quite of time with my head in my hands.
    I'm now listening to Moon Over Soho, book two in the Peter Grant series by Ben Aaronovitch. The narrator is really very good, I think it was mentioned here by someone else which is what convinced me to listen to it rather than read. I've found myself sitting in the car after arriving a few times just to continue listening :D
    On the reading side I started Advance to Contact by C.J. Carella, book 3 in Warp Marines series. These are easy reads and full of action but starting to get a bit supernatural for my likening.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

mcgovern wrote: »
    I listened to Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison. This does not seem to have aged well at all, it was pretty terrible and if I wasn't driving I think I'd have spent quite of time with my head in my hands.

Aw. I loved The Stainless Steel Rat books growing up. I'm not sure I want to reread them ever now and ruin the happy memories I have of them. :s

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

IIRC, Stainless Steel Rat has some horrifically casual sexism that we wouldn't accept from a modern day author. It was still a great read at the time (though the series went downhill after book 2).

Trojan wrote: »
    IIRC, Stainless Steel Rat has some horrifically casual sexism that we wouldn't accept from a modern day author. It was still a great read at the time (though the series went downhill after book 2).

That was exactly my main issue with it. Normally I can ignore that sort of thing but here it also impacted the story because
    I'm guessing it was supposed to be a shock that the woman could be the brains but it was so obvious
    and the main character just became so unlikable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭machalla

L wrote: »
    I listened to Stainless Steel Rat by Harry Harrison.  This does not seem to have aged well at all, it was pretty terrible and if I wasn't driving I think I'd have spent quite of time with my head in my hands.

Aw. I loved The Stainless Steel Rat books growing up. I'm not sure I want to reread them ever now and ruin the happy memories I have of them. :s
    I loved them as well.  Great romps and particularly when you are at that YA phase of life.  Nice easy reads as well, they aren't huge tomes.  I would think there are considerable amounts of casual racism and sexism in most older books, reflecting the accepted culture of the times they were written in (right or wrong as it may be).

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Are there any audiobooks where the narrator doesn't try and do annoying accents or emphasis?

My preference would be someone who just reads the words. I tried Memory Sorrow and Thorn and hated it because of how it was read.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

L wrote: »

Same, them and the Death world series were big favourites in my younger years but I doubt either would do well in a re-read. From that era I'd be more tempted to go back to some of the Larry Niven stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

What does YA mean.

I picked up magician again on cheap ebooks offers. Still reads well. I don't think I finished them as I didn't like the storyline with pug at the time.

I think I'll stay away from stainless steel rat. I remember reading them and enjoying then as a kid.

beauf wrote: »
    What does YA mean.

Young Adult.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

beauf wrote: »
    What does YA mean.

Vampires. All the vampires.

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

smacl wrote: »
    Same, them and the Death world series were big favourites in my younger years but I doubt either would do well in a re-read. From that era I'd be more tempted to go back to some of the Larry Niven stuff.

I reread a bunch of his stuff a few years ago - it hold up fairly well - it's not quite as pulpy and is generally well thought through.

Destiny's road and The Magic Goes Away were still particularly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Oh wow I haven't thought of Deathworld in years, major nostalgia the minute I saw the name.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

That second book in the Shattered Earth series is very good

Not really enjoying Mistborn so far, bout halfway through book one... it's just a bit easy for me. I'll go to the end of book one and see what I think.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Not really enjoying Mistborn so far, bout halfway through book one... it's just a bit easy for me. I'll go to the end of book one and see what I think.

If you haven't read them, his Stormlight Archive series is much, much better than Mistborn.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

If you haven't read them, his Stormlight Archive series is much, much better than Mistborn.

While I agree with the above, the mistborn books were my first intro to Sandersons Cosmere (all his books are linked) and they are brilliant. I also found the first one a little slow at the start but it is worth it I think and 2/3 are amazing. Each to their own though so I hope you think something similar if you stick with them.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Finished all the Alastair Reynolds books - cracking stuff. Reading the Handmaid's Tale atm (after being bored to tears with the first few episodes of the series).

Looking for some recommendations for the next read... with the likely next being one of:
    Sanderson - Mistborn (liked his end of Wheel of Time)
    Hamilton - Reality Dysfunction (loved Pandora's star etc)
    Bakker - Aspect Emperor (didn't like the first trilogy but apparently the second is better)
    Lawrence - Prince of thorns
    Stephen Baxter

thoughts?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just started reading The Android's Dream (Scalzi).

Needed some SciFi that wasn't too 'hard'.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,589 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

almost finished words of radiance, going to go onto oathbringer straightaway

these stormlight series are much better than mistborn, though i must admit i highly enjoyed the mistborn series. The stormlight books so far just seem so much denser and developed. The way of kings was a good paced entry to the world and characters... and while words of radiance is a lot more political in the first half of the book... the finale is making it all worthwhile

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

nhur wrote: »
    Finished all the Alastair Reynolds books - cracking stuff. Reading the Handmaid's Tale atm (after being bored to tears with the first few episodes of the series).

Looking for some recommendations for the next read... with the likely next being one of:
    Sanderson - Mistborn (liked his end of Wheel of Time)
    Hamilton - Reality Dysfunction (loved Pandora's star etc)
    Bakker - Aspect Emperor (didn't like the first trilogy but apparently the second is better)
    Lawrence - Prince of thorns
    Stephen Baxter

thoughts?

I thuoght reality dysfunction was much better than pandora's star books. Though in fairness I read it first so it introduced concepts you are already familiar with - the adamists and edenists etc. But it is a reallyepic space opera.

I really enjoyed prince of thorns as well.

Stephen Baxter- some are great some less so, none crap. I liked the xelee novels. he has some great concepts.

If you go sanderson the stormlight archive is much better than mistborn imo. Though I have only read a little of mistborn.

If you like Baxter/reality dysfunction then you could consider vernor vinge as well. "A Fire upon the deep" and "A deepness in teh sky" especially. Those books havea great concept that depending on how far from galactic centre you are the laws of physics change - allowing FTL, sentient AI & transcendence closer to the edge, no FTL, no AI & reduced organic intelligence towards the centre.

Fian wrote: »

If you like Baxter/reality dysfunction then you could consider vernor vinge as well. "A Fire upon the deep" and "A deepness in teh sky" especially. Those books havea great concept that depending on how far from galactic centre you are the laws of physics change - allowing FTL, sentient AI & transcendence closer to the edge, no FTL, no AI & reduced organic intelligence towards the centre.

These are some of my favorite books, I'd also strongly recommend them.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Mistborn was my intro to Sanderson, but I didn't like it half as much as everything else like Stormlight. I'd recommend that first.

Just read "In The Darkness, That's Where I'll Know You: The Complete Black Room Story". Was absolutely brilliant. I think it just about falls into some kind of scifi genre. very much recommended

Just finished the Kingfountain series as well, tore through the last few books. It's not the most epic series ever but i quite enjoyed the characters and story

I've never even heard of 'a fire upon the deep', this looks great

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

bluewolf wrote: »

I've never even heard of 'a fire upon the deep', this looks great

I really hope my comments wasn't a spoiler, i have a sinking feeling that it might be and maybe you are a while into first book before it is supposed to dawn on you. Been many years since i read it. If so -apologies, and I will edit into spoiler tags now just in case.

Edit : no I won't - seems there is a timer on the ability to edit a post. Anyway that part has been quoted so probably too late regardless.

Fian wrote: »
    I really hope my comments wasn't a spoiler, i have a sinking feeling that it might be and maybe you are a while into first book before it is supposed to dawn on you. Been many years since i read it. If so -apologies, and I will edit into spoiler tags now just in case.

Edit : no I won't - seems there is a timer on the ability to edit a post. Anyway that part has been quoted so probably too late regardless.

nah it's in the product description on the amazon page anyway don't worry

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Dades wrote: »
    Just started reading The Android's Dream (Scalzi).

Needed some SciFi that wasn't too 'hard'.

Started Zoe's Tale this morning for very much the same reason after weeks of reading technical material. Scalzi is very reliable for an easy and enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Jayd0g

Started Zoe's Tale this morning for very much the same reason after weeks of reading technical material. Scalzi is very reliable for an easy and enjoyable read.

Zoes tale has been put on pause for a while as I only finished the Last Colony recently enough. Scalzi does exactly what it says on the tin, entertaining, interesting and light scifi!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I struggled a bit on Zoe's Tale but eventually came back to it, and was glad I was.

Agree about Scalzi!

bluewolf wrote: »
    Mistborn was my intro to Sanderson, but I didn't like it half as much as everything else like Stormlight. I'd recommend that first.

Just read "In The Darkness, That's Where I'll Know You: The Complete Black Room Story". Was absolutely brilliant. I think it just about falls into some kind of scifi genre. very much recommended

Bought 70% through Mistborn 1 and it has improved just finding it very difficult to care about any of the main characters. I think this is the main problem for me.

Jayd0g wrote: »
    Zoes tale has been put on pause for a while as I only finished the Last Colony recently enough. Scalzi does exactly what it says on the tin, entertaining, interesting and light scifi!
    Dades wrote: »
    I struggled a bit on Zoe's Tale but eventually came back to it, and was glad I was.

Agree about Scalzi!

As a recent Scalzi convert I agree. Loved the first 3 books and will come back to Zoe's Tale shortly. His new book is getting good press too.

Also I ordered the new Feist really wanted to get it over the weekend but cant justify paying 7 quid extra for every book I want. Also if i wanted to wait til I had enough for free delivery it would be closer to a tenner. Will update when I read.

• Advertisement

Got the first Witcher book. Suddenly got hooked on the games recently, didn't take the first time a few years back

Advertisement