Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Halfway through the third Harry Dresden book. I've heard it said that the third book is where the series really 'takes off' which is exciting considering they've been highly entertaining up to this point.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,639 ✭✭✭Glebee

Still only half way through The Dark Tower:Wizard & Glass. Need to try and give more time over to reading in the evenings, Netflix taking over.....
    Think ill take a break from The Dark Tower for a while when I finish this.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Finished Ubik by Philip K Dick, which I really enjoyed, and 41% of the way through the Iron Council by China Miéville.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Xofpod wrote: »
    Arm of the Sphinx, the second of the Senlin books. I'm enjoying these much more than i thought I would and can't quite put my finger on why.
    Trojan wrote: »
    I think I'm at the tipping point in book one, I'll either get completely hooked, or quit after this chapter.
    He's just entered the party, to steal the painting
    keane2097 wrote: »
    I'd give it another while, pretty sure I had similar feelings about that point when I read it.

Finished Senlin Ascends, immediately bought (and finished) Arm of the Sphinx. Yep, I got hooked.

Strange kind of book. Reminded me of Locke Lamora book 2 (both good and bad).

Still, I bought the next immediately, so I usually consider that a 5/5.

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Trojan wrote: »
    Finished Senlin Ascends, immediately bought (and finished) Arm of the Sphinx. Yep, I got hooked.

Strange kind of book. Reminded me of Locke Lamora book 2 (both good and bad).

Still, I bought the next immediately, so I usually consider that a 5/5.

Not sure about a publication date for the third book; I think I saw December 2018 mentioned somewhere?

• Advertisement

Xofpod wrote: »
    Not sure about a publication date for the third book; I think I saw December 2018 mentioned somewhere?

Looks like he was optimistically hoping to have it done last year, but now September this year is the expected publication date.
    I plan for The Books of Babel to be a four book series. I'm hard at work on the third book now. My goal is to have it ready for publication in the early summer of 2017. I'm not the swiftest writer (it takes me about two years to write a book), but what I lack in expediency I hope to make up for in quality.
    Goodreads wrote:
    The Hod King (The Books of Babel #3) by Josiah Bancroft
    Expected publication: September 2018 by Orbit

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Only recently started the Wheel of time books. Currently on the third book - The Dragon Reborn, enjoying it so far but still a long way to go.

I'm fairly sure I remember enjoying the second Senlin book even more than the first. The Tower is such an interesting setting.

I'm fairly sure I remember enjoying the second Senlin book even more than the first. The Tower is such an interesting setting.

Bioshock. That's what it reminds me of. Had to figure it out.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Finished Ubik by Philip K Dick, which I really enjoyed, and 41% of the way through the Iron Council by China Miéville.

I found Iron Council reasonable enough but the weakest of the Bas Lag books by some margin, if you haven't yet read The Scar or Perdido Street station, they're real gems. Just started Under Heaven by Guy Gavriel Kay and enjoying it so far.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Perdido Street is an amazing book.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

smacl wrote: »
    If you haven't yet read The Scar or Perdido Street station, they're real gems.

I've read them both, they're great. Finished Iron Council earlier today, I enjoyed it but I didn't find the characters as compelling as Perdido Street which I think is the strongest of the three. Still a very good read, though. Haven't read Miéville's other books but they're on the list.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

I've read them both, they're great. Finished Iron Council earlier today, I enjoyed it but I didn't find the characters as compelling as Perdido Street which I think is the strongest of the three. Still a very good read, though. Haven't read Miéville's other books but they're on the list.

The city and the city is excellent and very different. I also loved Railsea but it is much lighter stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

The Woman in the Woods by John Connolly

The latest supernatural novel featuring the PI Charlie Parker.

Rivetting so far, very enjoyable read.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

Neames wrote: »
    The Woman in the Woods by John Connolly

The latest supernatural novel featuring the PI Charlie Parker.

Rivetting so far, very enjoyable read.

I Read the first in the series years ago and enjoyed it . must read more at some stage. recommended ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Just finished these after reading them back to back.Reminded me a lot of the video game setting in "The Last of Us".Also reminds me a bit of The Stand , by King.
    Counting the days till part three.:D
    G. X. Todd’s remarkably readable dystopian debut posits a planet Earth ravaged by unfathomable cataclysm. On the one hand, survivors are scant; on the other, theories about how it happened aren’t. “To get it over and done with, he quickly ticked off the points on his fingers as he listed them. ‘Biological attack, poisoning, after-effects of dementia vaccines, aliens, subliminal and/or psychological warfare, chemical agents in the water supply, the mystical forces of sea tides and the moon. And, my personal favourite, some kind of Rapture-type event.'”
    But the cause of this apocalypse isn’t the point of Todd’s text—the first of four in a series starting here. Instead, she’s interested in the effect: namely the voices people started hearing in their heads. Defender‘s protagonist Pilgrim has one; he calls it, of all things, Voice. That said, he’s a rarity these days, because most of the folks who ended up with imaginary friends are dead.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

N.K. Jemesin's Broken Earth trilogy, took me a while to get into the first book and possibly might not have stuck with it only for the good reviews here but am so sucked into it now! When I can't sleep with the heat I'm just like.....ooooh one more chapter then!:D
    Started the first book 3 days ago and am halfway into the second now:eek:

I finished Rise of Endymion eventually last night. It dragged a bit in parts but still very enjoyable, quite a good end to the Hyperion saga all in all. Took me so long partly because I'm flying through the Harry Dresden audiobooks at a rate of knots.

N.K. Jemesin's Broken Earth trilogy, took me a while to get into the first book and possibly might not have stuck with it only for the good reviews here but am so sucked into it now! When I can't sleep with the heat I'm just like.....ooooh one more chapter then!:D
    Started the first book 3 days ago and am halfway into the second now:eek:

Oh I forgot I have the last one of those to finish off, nice one.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

71% into 'Cetaganda' by Lois McMaster Bujold, the 9th/6th/whatever book in her Vorkosigan Saga. This one is very enjoyable - Miles is a great lead and his sharp mind is used well here. Fewer space factions which work well too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭Mr Meanor

Enjoying 'Fantastic Voyage' by Kevin J Anderson.
    A re-imagining of the original with some nice ideas.
    The characters are a bit flat but the story is a bit of a 'popcorn scifi' guilty pleasure.

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/83554.Fantastic_Voyage?ac=1&from_search=true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I'm reading Naked Empire by Terry Goodkind.

I read the first one in this series a few years ago and really enjoyed it, but never got around to reading anymore till I picked this up recently. However, I have since found out it's the 8th book in the series of the Sword of Truth.

I'm over 150 pages in now, so I'm not going to stop reading until I finish this one.

Question to anyone who has read the series: Is there really a need to go through the entire series in order? Obviously it would be better, I suppose, but am I really missing out by reading Naked Empire now?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

I read the first one in this series a few years ago and really enjoyed it, but never got around to reading anymore till I picked this up recently. However, I have since found out it's the 8th book in the series of the Sword of Truth.

I'm over 150 pages in now, so I'm not going to stop reading until I finish this one.

Question to anyone who has read the series: Is there really a need to go through the entire series in order? Obviously it would be better, I suppose, but am I really missing out by reading Naked Empire now?
    Do you understand the concept of a chicken that was not a chicken?!

I do think it is worth going through it in order. There are somethings that build up over time. You don't have to, but I think it'd be more enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

And also a big warning Goodkind's writing goes from right wing American to all out "bloody towel heads leave a glass parking lot on their homes" American in around book 3 or 4 due to 911...

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

Nody wrote: »
    And also a big warning Goodkind's writing goes from right wing American to all out "bloody towel heads leave a glass parking lot on their homes" American in around book 3 or 4 due to 911...

Jesus. Good heads up.

Just finished Stiletto by Daniel O'Malley. It's the sequel to "the Rook" which I quite enjoyed. Stiletto is pretty good with the following caveats:
    • The author uses "British Isles" in a fairly vague and uncomfortable kind of way. It's never quite clear if he means to include Ireland and have his "sworn to the English Monarch" supernatural organisation operating here as well, or if he means it interchangeably with the UK.
    • The super-smart Protagonists have a few serious "caught the idiot ball" moments.

Example:
      The Chequey/Grafters unaccountably can't connect the dots between Gestalt (a blonde supernatural with the power to have multiple genetically related bodies with one mind, who had an MVP body pushed out the window by Rook Thomas), and a blonde speed grown clone that unaccountably has a developed mind, and a grudge against Rook Thomas...

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭unreg999

Just coming to the end of 'memory, thorn and sorrow' by Tad Williams... enjoying it a lot!
    Can anyone recommend something for me to read next please?

My favourite is classic fantasy though I do enjoy anything post-apocylyptic too!

Favourite authors are Tolkien, Sanderson, Martin, Feist, Hobbs, Wurtz, Pratchett... that kind of thing!

Thank you in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

unreg999 wrote: »
    Just coming to the end of 'memory, thorn and sorrow' by Tad Williams... enjoying it a lot!
    Can anyone recommend something for me to read next please?

My favourite is classic fantasy though I do enjoy anything post-apocylyptic too!

Favourite authors are Tolkien, Sanderson, Martin, Feist, Hobbs, Wurtz, Pratchett... that kind of thing!

Thank you in advance

You seem to have similar taste to me so maybe try the NK Jamesin 'Broken Earth' series that i'm just finishing up. I'm at 56% and don't want it to end :o
    Greg Keyes' 'Kingdom of Thorn & Bone' was one i really enjoyed recently & a bit easier reading was The Raven Cycle (Maggie Steifvater)

I still think Malazan Book of the Fallen is the best fantasy series by a huge margin.

You seem to have similar taste to me so maybe try the NK Jamesin 'Broken Earth' series that i'm just finishing up. I'm at 56% and don't want it to end :o
    Greg Keyes' 'Kingdom of Thorn & Bone' was one i really enjoyed recently & a bit easier reading was The Raven Cycle (Maggie Steifvater)

Thank you! I will try that one :)

• Advertisement

I still think Malazan Book of the Fallen is the best fantasy series by a huge margin.

I do plan to try it at some stage but some ofthe reviews put it as 'hard going' etc
    Just at the moment I need something that's not going to be TOO challenging lol

Advertisement