Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 727 ✭✭✭Xofpod

started Luna by Iain Mcdonald about 50 pages in ,not sure about it yet .

Great book, stick with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,497 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Just finished "The Fall of the House of Cabal" by Jonathan Howard. If you like snarky humorous fantasy, it's a great series, this was the last book.

Now working on 'Gardens of the Moon' by Steven Erikson. Not sure about it - seems like a cross between Glenn Cook's "Black Company" and ideas from "Wheel of Time" and "Game of Thrones." Will see, appears to be a very long series (10 books!)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Igotadose wrote: »
    Just finished "The Fall of the House of Cabal" by Jonathan Howard. If you like snarky humorous fantasy, it's a great series, this was the last book.

Now working on 'Gardens of the Moon' by Steven Erikson. Not sure about it - seems like a cross between Glenn Cook's "Black Company" and ideas from "Wheel of Time" and "Game of Thrones." Will see, appears to be a very long series (10 books!)

I wish I was only starting out on it. I’ve read it from start to finish (the series not the first one) 5 times now. Brilliance, utter brilliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Iago wrote: »
    I wish I was only starting out on it. I’ve read it from start to finish (the series not the first one) 5 times now. Brilliance, utter brilliance.

I'm forever dipping in and out of them as well. Totally out on their own in the fantasy genre IMO.

I'm listening to Dead Beat which is the seventh Dresden Files book. I enjoy this series to an absurd degree. They are not deep but they are great fun.

I'm also reading The Stone Sky and find it excellent unlike some of the previous posters. I think if it finishes they way it has been going all along it's one of the best series I will have read in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

keane2097 wrote: »
    I'm forever dipping in and out of them as well. Totally out on their own in the fantasy genre IMO.

I'm listening to Dead Beat which is the seventh Dresden Files book. I enjoy this series to an absurd degree. They are not deep but they are great fun.

I'm also reading The Stone Sky and find it excellent unlike some of the previous posters. I think if it finishes they way it has been going all along it's one of the best series I will have read in a long time.

Is there a substantial jump quality wise after the first of the dresden files? I wasn't very sold...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Igotadose wrote: »

Gardens of the Moon was written years before the rest of Malazan, its just something you have to plough through before you get to the really good stuff, although I always thought it had some great ideas in its own right.

batgoat wrote: »
    Is there a substantial jump quality wise after the first of the dresden files? I wasn't very sold...

I think the first one was the worst by a good bit alright

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Not really mentioned in here but I have the new Murakami ready to go. Never really called out as fantasy but there's a strong element of it in his books. Infinitely better writer than most others too. Can't wait to start this one.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Not really mentioned in here but I have the new Murakami ready to go. Never really called out as fantasy but there's a strong element of it in his books. Infinitely better writer than most others too. Can't wait to start this one.

Can you recommend a jumping off point for those of us who are unaware of him?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I really enjoyed The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle, but had a hard time finishing
    Hard-Boiled Wonderland and the End of the World.

Was kinda done with him then, but glad I dipped my toe into his stuff.

• Advertisement

keane2097 wrote: »
    Can you recommend a jumping off point for those of us who are unaware of him?

I have a huge soft spot for Kafka on the Shore, It's never off my kindle. Norwegian Wood is the big hit. Wind Up is enjoyable too.

If you enjoy his style you'll end up reading all his books. He has a unique way of writing people.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

lordgoat wrote: »
    I have a huge soft spot for Kafka on the Shore, It's never off my kindle. Norwegian Wood is the big hit. Wind Up is enjoyable too.

If you enjoy his style you'll end up reading all his books. He has a unique way of writing people.

It definitely is a style thing with him. I read Norwegian wood and 1q84 (read half of it and quit). Liked the substance, but he just has a turgid way of telling the story. Not for me personally, but I can see why people like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

It definitely is a style thing with him. I read Norwegian wood and 1q84 (read half of it and quit). Liked the substance, but he just has a turgid way of telling the story. Not for me personally, but I can see why people like him.

IQ84 is without a doubt the absolute worst thing I've ever read, but true masochist that I am, I still managed to finish it.

IQ84 is without a doubt the absolute worst thing I've ever read, but true masochist that I am, I still managed to finish it.

Being honest I didn't enjoy the story of that book as much as others. Kafka is much more manageable and an interesting little story!

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭mickmac76

Currently reading Rejoice by Steven Erickson who is best known for his Mazalan series of fantasy books. This new book is more science fiction and the story line is about a first contact between humans and an artificial intelligence sent by a group of alien civilizations that are concerned about the damage humans are having on the earths environment. The book jumps between a number of characters view points and focuses on the philosophy and social aspects of first contact rather than heavy science of the AI. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and am enjoying it but it is a bit of a heavy read. I haven't read any of Steven Ericksons books before but fans of his previous work and Sci fi fans may enjoy it.

im makin my way through the prince of nothing and sequel series and someone previously said the first set were only ok and the next cycle were excellent

feel quite the opposite tbh. the first set was original and the characters were pretty daring in their doubts/ignorance and how this moved the story

this following arc is full of tolkien tropes in the settings and erikson magic-development of characters being steered by fate

good reads, great world, but the earlier ones are definitely more noteworthy imo

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

good reads, great world, but the earlier ones are definitely more noteworthy imo
    I'd agree with that; the first series has a much more interesting story telling, world and most importantly main characters. The second series is worth reading if you want to know more about the world than the story per say.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

mickmac76 wrote:
    Currently reading Rejoice by Steven Erickson who is best known for his Mazalan series of fantasy books. This new book is more science fiction and the story line is about a first contact between humans and an artificial intelligence sent by a group of alien civilizations that are concerned about the damage humans are having on the earths environment. The book jumps between a number of characters view points and focuses on the philosophy and social aspects of first contact rather than heavy science of the AI. I'm about a quarter of the way through it and am enjoying it but it is a bit of a heavy read. I haven't read any of Steven Ericksons books before but fans of his previous work and Sci fi fans may enjoy it.

According to his Facebook page, he's just after getting his first 1 star review on Amazon for this book, by someone called 'rednecklawyer'. By the sounds of it, he's not too worried that it'll ruin his book's reputation.

I haven't actually read any of his books yet. I just liked the page to remind me that I need to read his books once life isn't so crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

Nody wrote: »
    I'd agree with that; the first series has a much more interesting story telling, world and most importantly main characters. The second series is worth reading if you want to know more about the world than the story per say.

I’m halfway through the first book and I don’t know why, but I’m finding it very hard to engage with. I find the world almost too complex for some reason and this is from somebody who reads essentially nothing but fantasy-fiction.

Are the follow on books very similar or do they open up a bit?

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

im makin my way through the prince of nothing and sequel series and someone previously said the first set were only ok and the next cycle were excellent
    Read the first trilogy and felt the books started ok and got worse as they wore on... but I've added the second trilogy to my to-read list after reading posts in this thread...
    mickmac76 wrote: »
    Currently reading Rejoice by Steven Erickson who is best known for his Mazalan series of fantasy books.
    Love Erikson's Malazan - i'll be checking this one out - thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Finished Legend, still my favourite of all time
    Quandary wrote: »
    Legend is just an amazing read. First read it 20 years ago and it got me hooked on Gemmell.

Just finished it now for the first time. Cracking read; gripping and light. Going to read a few more of the Drenai ones now!

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

couldn't get into Luna , you guys got me and I started Legend again last night whipping through it (tried a few months ago and got sidetracked with holidays etc.), hooked straight away this time . how's the series in comparison to Legend?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,474 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The Luna series I enjoyed myself, but could never shake the sense that it was written with half a mind towards a TV adaptation. And the amount of sex got a little much, and I'm no prude. Maybe that was it, that sense of the quintessential HBO show :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I’m halfway through the first book and I don’t know why, but I’m finding it very hard to engage with. I find the world almost too complex for some reason and this is from somebody who reads essentially nothing but fantasy-fiction.

Are the follow on books very similar or do they open up a bit?
    It's a lot of small clues that build up really; in the second book it gets really obvious due to a location he gets into and a character he meets what's going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,063 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

IrishZeus wrote: »
    I just finished the third and agree with your sentiments above unfortunately. It was worth finishing them but I just wasn’t blown away at all. Didn’t find the characters overly engaging and I just couldn’t get invested in the books at all.

I've just started book one. (About 1/5 way in). I'm enjoying the writing style so far but, yeah, the characters aren't very engaging. It's not that I don't like them (Like the Characters in The Magicians trilogy). It's just that they are...... Meh (So far)

I must admit, I did finish the Stormlight Saga (Well, up to current book). I was initially quite put off by all the spren initially and I still think they were over-used (Creationspren, rotspren,hungerspren etc). But I did get to like the books. They are quite traditional and pretty light (Light tone-wise. They are long books). Good enjoyable traditional fun. Kind of reminded me of Feist's Riftwar books in tone

I picked up book 1 of The Ravelling, The Crimson Queen, book 3 is out next year, seems to have got great reviews but I never hear of the series, anyone read them?

I was attracted by the cover, great pic:

EodFNdh.jpg

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

67% into "City of Miracles", by Robert Jackson Bennett the third book in his Divine Cities trilogy.
    It picks up 13 years after the previous book which allows for the world and characters to evolve - the concept of change and progress being an important one. The setting is still very interesting and Bennett is quite a skilled writer, capable of both the character elements and action scenes. Looking like a strong end to a strong trilogy.

Dont know why I never read Starship Troopers before but I should have picked it up before now, usually dont really enjoy any sci-fi this old but its a seriously great read, theres nothing else like it really.

Thargor wrote: »
    Dont know why I never read Starship Troopers before but I should have picked it up before now, usually dont really enjoy any sci-fi this old but its a seriously great read, theres nothing else like it really.
    Agreed; I read it after having seen the movie but they are so different that there's nothing really lost in doing so.

As for myself I threw in a re-read of Equal rites by Pratchett before I started up The Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan; after 100 pages in I've gone and preordered book 3.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭MurDawg

On Robin Hobbs third Trilogy

2nd book in, Fools Quest - these are incredibly consistent books.

Advertisement