Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,011 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Bad Blood- John Carreyrou

Defineintly in the Sci-fi genre

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

smacl wrote: »
    Must give Dune a re-read some time, haven't read it since my teens. Currently reading 'A closed and common orbit' which is the second in Becky Chambers wayfarer books. Quite different to the first book, but equally enjoyable so far. Doing a part time course in AI for computer vision programming at the moment as well, and the book works really well with this.
    Try the audiobook, one of the best I've ever listened to even though Id read it a couple of times before listening.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

38% into "Destiny's Conflict", the tenth book in Janny Wurt's "Wars of Light and Shadow" series. Enjoying this one a fair bit more than the previous one - it doesn't move quickly slowly but Wurts has some beautiful prose and has a strong ability to evoke the mystery and emotions in the world. It takes time to read it as I want to appreciate the writing.

Prior to that I read the much snappier "Ninefox Gambit", the first book in Yoon Ha Lee's "Machineries of Empire" trilogy. It's got an interesting world building element to it, where effectively there's magic so it's not pure sci-fi. It reminded me a little of Anne Leckie's Ancillary series but much more interesting and with far fewer tea ceremonies. Will be reading more (whereas I'm done with Leckie).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Nody wrote: »
    Finished it and started directly on the second one. If you want some quick Space Marine Core action in a new universe I'd recommend it. It's not tech heavy or "difficult" but flows quickly in a series of short stories basically and I've gone ahead and ordered book 3 to 5.
    Finished book 2 (more of the same; if you like book 1 you'll like book 2 basically) and started on Heresy by Anselm Audley, book 1 in the Aquasilva trilogy.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

ixoy wrote: »
    Prior to that I read the much snappier "Ninefox Gambit", the first book in Yoon Ha Lee's "Machineries of Empire" trilogy. It's got an interesting world building element to it, where effectively there's magic so it's not pure sci-fi. It reminded me a little of Anne Leckie's Ancillary series but much more interesting and with far fewer tea ceremonies. Will be reading more (whereas I'm done with Leckie).

Just started ancillary justice. Had never heard about it before a friend recommended. Seems OK so far but if a touch slow for my current taste :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Started up on "A Soldiers Duty" by Jean Johnson. Still only a few pages in but it will hopefully pick up.

Reading this series. Reminds me a bit of the Bio of a Space Tyrant series by Piers Anthony.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Nearly finished book 13 of The Wheel of Time, took me years to actually get around starting the series. TBH I think 14 books is a bit much and the story is just being dragged out way too much, can't wait to find out how it ends nevertheless

Nearly finished book 13 of The Wheel of Time, took me years to actually get around starting the series. TBH I think 14 books is a bit much and the story is just being dragged out way too much, can't wait to find out how it ends nevertheless
    Same except Ill finish Book 2 tonight.

I always ignored it over the years because I always assumed it would be tedious cliche filled crud but its decent fantasy, better than most Ive read recently. 14 books is a bit of a slog to look forward to though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Thargor wrote: »
    Same except Ill finish Book 2 tonight.

I always ignored it over the years because I always assumed it would be tedious cliche filled crud but its decent fantasy, better than most Ive read recently. 14 books is a bit of a slog to look forward to though.

A good edit and have it down to 6 books *tugs braid*

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

*tugs braid*

Have to say, I loved these... Read them as they were coming out and would reread the old as the new was released...tho finished the last 4 or so in one group. I really like them but I'm never sure how much my age when I read them and what I'd already read colours my view on what's good and what's not.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

nhur wrote: »
    Have to say, I loved these... Read them as they were coming out and would reread the old as the new was released...tho finished the last 4 or so in one group. I really like them but I'm never sure how much my age when I read them and what I'd already read colours my view on what's good and what's not.

I enjoyed them, and I read them when all of them were out. They're a bit of a slog in the middle where there's a lot of ground work for the rest of the books being put into place (and therefore not much else happening), but they're worth working through. Mat is one of my favourite book characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

I enjoyed them, and I read them when all of them were out. They're a bit of a slog in the middle where there's a lot of ground work for the rest of the books being put into place (and therefore not much else happening), but they're worth working through. Mat is one of my favourite book characters.

I read them over the space of a few years as the last 3 were being released by Brandon Sanderson. I really enjoyed them as a "first dip" into the genre (except for LOTR but would agree there's a bit of a slog around the middle. I recently went through them all on audible over the space of a few months while I walked to work/gym. It was very nice to go through the series again and I really like Michael Kramer's reading of them.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Wheel of time - average book 1, v good books 2-5. Absolute dross 6-9. stopped and have no intention of going back.

Started Book 1 of the Malazan, made it to 25% and interested to see where it goes.

Finished Daniel Abrahams Spider War series a couple of weeks back, thoroughly enjoyed it. If things don't work out with Malazan I may go to his other series.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Just started "the Thousand names". Only barely into it but I already know I will enjoy it.

I think I got it on a recommendation from this thread - thanks to whoever recommended.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I just started Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. It's over 20 years old but I've never picked up a copy until I bought the first one in a Kindle book deal. It's pretty standard fare but enjoyable.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

I just started Wizards First Rule by Terry Goodkind. It's over 20 years old but I've never picked up a copy until I bought the first one in a Kindle book deal. It's pretty standard fare but enjoyable.
    Be warned around book 4 (it was written around the time of 911) he goes from "Capitalism is the bestest let me tell you how" to "Burn heretics, you're all a bunch of communists muslim scum and I'm going to have my donkey do obscene things to you" as it was a personal insult that somehow unhinged him. The series really goes downhill from there getting only more and more absurd and while I finished the original series (he released more later) it is NOT a good strong ending to it all (say hello to my little friend the Deux ex machina).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Also the chickens...

keane2097 wrote: »
    Also the chickens...

It was not a chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Be warned around book 4 (it was written around the time of 911) he goes from "Capitalism is the bestest let me tell you how" to "Burn heretics, you're all a bunch of communists muslim scum and I'm going to have my donkey do obscene things to you" as it was a personal insult that somehow unhinged him. The series really goes downhill from there getting only more and more absurd and while I finished the original series (he released more later) it is NOT a good strong ending to it all (say hello to my little friend the Deux ex machina).

Couldn't agree more with this.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Fian

Wizards first rule, I am still annoyed with myself that I stuck with that series far longer than I should have, because I enjoyed the first few books. And embarrassed that I recommended the series to a friend of mine.

Started well, nosedived.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

Just finished book 1 of the poppy war by Kuang. Very strong first novel in the grimdark sub genre. Really enjoyed it and looking forward to book 2.

Just starting the monster Baru Cormorant, which is book 2 in the masquerade series by seth dickinson. Book 1 was very good, so really hoping this one delivers also, and definitely one of the books i've been eagerly awaiting in 2018

Finished "Theirs Not to Reason Why" series by Jean Johnson. It's an entertaining mil sf space opera type, with a couple of repetitive sections in the last two books. I have an issue with how the author chose to write the ending, but that shouldn't take from the rest of it. I'd give it a solid 3.5 stars, would be a 4 if the ending was better handled.

Anyone started The Hod King yet? I have it on the Kindle but have to get through another few bits before I start in on it.

The Hod King is next up for me after I finish Cold Iron.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

And I'm 7% into "Senlin Ascends" by Joshua Bancroft, the first in 'The Books of Babel' based on all your recommendations here. Interested already and I suspect I've seen nothing yet - tone-wise it reminds me more of the world of something like Robert Jackson Bennett's Cities trilogy.
    So yeah, don't be spoiling 'The Hod King' here :)

ixoy wrote: »
    And I'm 7% into "Senlin Ascends" by Joshua Bancroft, the first in 'The Books of Babel' based on all your recommendations here. Interested already and I suspect I've seen nothing yet - tone-wise it reminds me more of the world of something like Robert Jackson Bennett's Cities trilogy.
    So yeah, don't be spoiling 'The Hod King' here :)

The first book is quite charming but I think the second one is a good bit better, fwiw.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Trojan wrote: »
    The Hod King is next up for me after I finish Cold Iron.

Is this the last book in the series?

So Ive been reading that "Tugs braid" meme on Reddit and Goodreads and everywhere else in reference to the Wheel of Time for years, so I finally get round to reading it, Book 1 passes... nothing, well its mentioned once or twice that the women in a certain village wear their hair in a braid when they come of age, "Thats it?" I think, thats the reference that launched a thousand memes? Book 2 passes... again nothing, female character notices women wear their hair unbraided outside her village a couple of times but again nothing major, "What are they on about?" Im thinking...

But then Book 3, Oh God... Turn the page... *tugs braid*, anxiety... *tugs braid*, anger... *tugs braid*, laughter... *tugs braid*. It reads like satire at points and its so immersion breaking. I just read a line that went something like "Perrin placed his hand on the haft of his axe, Lan adjusted the sword and sheath on his belt, Nevayne tugged her braid..." :D

What was he thinking? It happens on every page with a female character! Another think that grates is the Aes Sedai leader, the Amylin Seat, in books one and two she never mentioned being a peasant girl from a small poor fishing village, but in book 3 the author seemed to decide he'd add that to her background, now every time she opens her mouth she comes out with some stupid fishing metaphor and they get worse as the book goes on. 11 books to go...

Thargor wrote: »
    So Ive been reading that "Tugs braid" meme on Reddit and Goodreads and everywhere else in reference to the Wheel of Time for years, so I finally get round to reading it, Book 1 passes... nothing, well its mentioned once or twice that the women in a certain village wear their hair in a braid when they come of age, "Thats it?" I think, thats the reference that launched a thousand memes? Book 2 passes... again nothing, female character notices women wear their hair unbraided outside her village a couple of times but again nothing major, "What are they on about?" Im thinking...

But then Book 3, Oh God... Turn the page... *tugs braid*, anxiety... *tugs braid*, anger... *tugs braid*, laughter... *tugs braid*. It reads like satire at points and its so immersion breaking. I just read a line that went something like "Perrin placed his hand on the haft of his axe, Lan adjusted the sword and sheath on his belt, Nevayne tugged her braid..." :D

What was he thinking? It happens on every page with a female character! Another think that grates is the Aes Sedai leader, the Amylin Seat, in books one and two she never mentioned being a peasant girl from a small poor fishing village, but in book 3 the author seemed to decide he'd add that to her background, now every time she opens her mouth she comes out with some stupid fishing metaphor and they get worse as the book goes on. 11 books to go...
    Be warned you're in the section of the series considered to be the best; it's only down hill from here :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I honestly felt books around 5 and 6 really picked up. Then downhill again

Advertisement