Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,553 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

The slog happens around book 7. They do pick up again though!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The slog happens around book 7. They do pick up again though!
    Book 10 or 11; they do a whole book of 1 chapter per person basically and literally nothing happens to move the plot forward.

Nody wrote:
    Book 10 or 11; they do a whole book of 1 chapter per person basically and literally nothing happens to move the plot forward.

Oh yeah, the slog spans several books, not just book 7.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

You're not selling it to me guys, 11 books at least two of which appear tedious and some of the others are hit and miss. ;)

Haven't been reading as much sci-fi of late but finished 'A Closed and Common Orbit' which I thoroughly enjoyed and have started 'Record of a Spaceborn Few'. The first two books were quite different from one another, same universe with very few common characters and I'm hoping this keeps up for the third which is looking to be the case. I do enjoy the warmth in Becky Chambers writing even though her critics think it unbearably smug, each to their own I guess.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

smacl wrote: »
    You're not selling it to me guys, 11 books at least two of which appear tedious and some of the others are hit and miss. ;)
    Well we're simply warning you of what's to come; if you think now is bad it is not going to get better basically. The only saving grace is that there is an actual ending but once again you're not going to walk away and go "Wow, best series / ending ever!" (and excluding a ton of sub plots which are simply dropped along the way) and about the only reason to complete it is because a) you're invested previously by reading majority of it or b) want to read the longest fantasy series. It's not a defining book like LoTR or Dune or a amazing series like Dune (original).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

I honestly loved it overall, serious world building etc

smacl wrote: »

It's one of the greatest fantasy series ever put down on paper. At the end of it, I felt lost and empty because there were no more pages left. Mat becomes my favourite character out of any book. Sanderson takes over for the last 3 books, after Jordan's death and it divided fans a bit, but I enjoyed his contribution.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

bluewolf wrote: »
    I honestly loved it overall, serious world building etc

It's a fantastic world alright and would love to read something based there again.

But the characters reached a certain point at about book 5 or 6 and never developed beyond that, I felt. I have find memories of the books but I doubt I'd ever read them again.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,935 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

I'm definitely enjoying it anyway, I have a few days coming up due to a production shutdown at work and I always absolutely chew through books on those days.

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭divide_by_zero

Nody wrote: »

It's book 11, I'm just reading it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,771 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Wheel of Time is so bad

• Registered Users Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

It's all about context. When it came out, those first few books were some of the most amazing stuff on the market. Now in hindsight and with the context of the later books, investing time into reading it is a different call.

I still reckon you're missing out if you're a fan of fantasy and haven't read it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

On the last book of The Red Queen's War trilogy: The Wheel of Osheim. I wouldn't bother starting the series, book one was good but it's been pretty much down hill from there. It's not terrible, but starts to drag as it goes on.

On the other hand his Book of the Ancestor series is very good, a real page turner as is the The Broken Empire trilogy once it gets to book two.

On the last book of The Red Queen's War trilogy: The Wheel of Osheim. I wouldn't bother starting the series, book one was good but it's been pretty much down hill from there. It's not terrible, but starts to drag as it goes on.

On the other hand his Book of the Ancestor series is very good, a real page turner as is the The Broken Empire trilogy once it gets to book two.
    I think my summary at the time was that it was only worth it if you wanted more world information; you'll find in book 3 a lot more background information to how the world became what it is but it's definitely weaker than The Broken Empire trilogy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

So, on Morning Star of The Red Rising series. Just past halfway and the series just feels like it's beginning to drag at this point.
    Really beginning to see the complaint about Darrow being perfection. Eg being trapped in a table for a year is an optimal moment to drag him down. Instead it became a moment where he rebuilds himself within 30 seconds.
    I'm doubtful on if I'll bother with the fourth one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,844 ✭✭✭shootermacg

batgoat wrote: »
    So, on Morning Star of The Red Rising series. Just past halfway and the series just feels like it's beginning to drag at this point.
    Really beginning to see the complaint about Darrow being perfection. Eg being trapped in a table for a year is an optimal moment to drag him down. Instead it became a moment where he rebuilds himself within 30 seconds.
    I'm doubtful on if I'll bother with the fourth one.

I enjoyed all the books.

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭nhur

Trojan wrote: »
    It's all about context. When it came out, those first few books were some of the most amazing stuff on the market. Now in hindsight and with the context of the later books, investing time into reading it is a different call.

I still reckon you're missing out if you're a fan of fantasy and haven't read it.

100% agree with this

Reading Ancillary Justice atm. Pretty good so far (about 80% in)... Sci-fi focusing on empire and cultures with a good main thread following several solid characters

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

It's book 11, I'm just reading it.

Is that Path of Daggers? I stopped here and have never gone back. Great start and then went off the rails. got very boring imo. No inclination ever to go back.
    nhur wrote: »
    100% agree with this

Reading Ancillary Justice atm. Pretty good so far (about 80% in)... Sci-fi focusing on empire and cultures with a good main thread following several solid characters

I loved this series. Really enjoyed it once I got into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Currently reading The Magicians' Guild by Trudi Canavan.

I enjoyed the prequel "The Magician's Apprentice" last year and finally got around to getting the main series a few weeks back. Good so far.

Sleepy wrote: »

I enjoyed the prequel "The Magician's Apprentice" last year and finally got around to getting the main series a few weeks back. Good so far.

I thought they were just the most bland fantasy I'd ever read and dropped them after one book. Generic Magicians guild, generic thieves guild, generic fantasy town, generic fantasy plot, nothing new or interesting whatsoever.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,978 ✭✭✭wyrn

Sleepy wrote: »

Loved the main series absolutely hated the sequel. Hated what Trudi did to the characters.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,238 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Thargor wrote: »
    I thought they were just the most bland fantasy I'd ever read and dropped them after one book. Generic Magicians guild, generic thieves guild, generic fantasy town, generic fantasy plot, nothing new or interesting whatsoever.
    A fair criticism of what I've seen so far...

Not everything has to be innovative and different though, sometimes it's nice to read the equivalent of a "popcorn movie".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

Same here ,read book one when it came out and never went back.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,475 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

pixelburp wrote: »
    Started Becky Chambers' latest, "Record of a Spaceborn Few"; like the previous follow-up it's only tangential to "A Long Way to a Small Angry Planet", this time set aboard the Exodan Fleet (think Battlestar Galactica, if they weren't being hounded and never found a 'home' planet).

As with her other work, there's a deep humanity and gentle heart at the centre of Chambers' writing that sets it apart, I don't think there's a cynical bone in her stories at all. There is a slightly more bittersweet, contemplative tone this time mind you, being as it is set within a fleet of dwindling migrant ships, and one of the main characters being an 'archivist' (in effect an undertaker who takes care of, and composts, the remains of loved ones)

Making heavy weather of this, and TBH had to put it down for a while in favour of something with more drive: while all of the above I mentioned remains true in the book's tone, it's a much more aimless and unstructured novel than the last two. The first had a definite, literal journey onboard the Wayfarer, ditto the second coupled with the emotional journey of Lovelace the AI; this third book doesn't seem to be going anywhere, with no sign of any arc or plot that might drive its ensemble forward.

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

The Name of the wind

• Registered Users Posts: 3,120 ✭✭✭shrapnel222

The Name of the wind

that's just mean!

pretty sure almost everyone in this thread has read it and is still waiting for the 3rd instalment 10 years on.

thanks for reminding us! :pac::(

The Name of the wind

Enjoy the wait for the end of this story.

Finished Book 1 of the Malazan, third time trying to finish it. Loved it. Smashing end to it.

lordgoat wrote: »
    Enjoy the wait for the end of this story.

Finished Book 1 of the Malazan, third time trying to finish it. Loved it. Smashing end to it.
    Book 1 is the veg you have to eat to get to the meat :D

You have some great moments ahead of you, must force myself to reread it soon, Ive forgotten more than I remember.

Book 1 is the veg you have to eat to get to the meat :D

You have some great moments ahead of you, must force myself to reread it soon, Ive forgotten more than I remember.

Already onto book 2, only annoying this is these books are so long my target of 25 for 2019 is in doubt!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

pixelburp wrote: »
    Making heavy weather of this, and TBH had to put it down for a while in favour of something with more drive: while all of the above I mentioned remains true in the book's tone, it's a much more aimless and unstructured novel than the last two. The first had a definite, literal journey onboard the Wayfarer, ditto the second coupled with the emotional journey of Lovelace the AI; this third book doesn't seem to be going anywhere, with no sign of any arc or plot that might drive its ensemble forward.

Very much the same. About a third of the way in and finding it all a bit dull, having loved the first two books. Hoping it will improve, but picked up a copy of 'How Long 'til Black Future Month?' as something to read in between if it becomes too much of a slog.

Advertisement