Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Are You Reading?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

Now reading "The Skinner" by Neal Asher.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Rereading The Dreaming Void to be able to read The Temporal Void :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 Dreolin

I just finished the Temporal Void, and now I'm moving on to Friends like these By Danny Wallace

• Registered Users Posts: 9,941 ✭✭✭trout

Just finished The System of The World - Neal Stephenson, last part of the Baroque Cycle.

It was brilliant ... thoroughly enjoyed the whole series ... it defies description, and is nothing like his other work(Snow Crash, Diamond Age) ... but now I need recommendations.

*wanders off to read the rest of the thread ... to pick up tips*

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I just finished a really strange book called Mir by Alexander Besher. I'm still not entirely sure what it was about, but there were sentient tattoos...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

The Awakened Mage by Karen Miller (sequel to The Innocent Mage).

Not the best two-parter I've ever read, but I like her main character (Asher) because he's plenty flawed.

mcgovern wrote: »

Just finished this, now starting on Pattern Recognition by William Gibson.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Brisingr, have been reading the books since before Paolini sold the rights for the films and this is the third installment. Have not gotten to the end so not sure if this is going to be like the wheel of time and he is going to make as much as he can from it.

sure hope not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Sarky wrote: »
    A few chapters into Return Of The Crimson Guard. It's rather good indeed.

had never heard of this, am i right in thinking this is a "spin off" of the malazan series from Eriksson :confused: never heard of the like ... any good ?

nearly bought this just now with Toll of the Hounds thinking there had been 2 books out inside a few months

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

Ya, its a spin off. I'm re-reading the Malazan books as well. Gardens of the Moon is a fantastic book. Seriously one of the best books i've ever read. And now Deadhouse Gates, which is also fantastic.

• Advertisement

growler wrote: »
    had never heard of this, am i right in thinking this is a "spin off" of the malazan series from Eriksson :confused:
    Sort of.

SE and ICE created the world between them, and the intention always was that they would both write novels...SE doing the "main story arc" so-to-speak, and ICE doing more "peripheral" stories.

The first book by ICE was Night of Knives, a novella which deals with the night that Surly became Lasseen, assuming the throne from Kellanved.

Like RotCG, it fills in some blanks, but isn't crucial reading.

Brisingr, have been reading the books since before Paolini sold the rights for the films and this is the third installment. Have not gotten to the end so not sure if this is going to be like the wheel of time and he is going to make as much as he can from it.

sure hope not.

He says he's changed from a trilogy to a 4-parter. I'll believe that when the next book finishes the saga, like Brisingr was supposed to.

Not a bad read, though...if you liked the first two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,996 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Just started book one of "The Gap Sequence" series by Stephen Donaldson.

So far I'm enjoying it.

The Gap into Conflict (book one) was far and away the weakest, worst of the series. If you like it, you're in for a treat. The series is, IMHO, some of the best sci-fi written in the 90s.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

"excession" by iain banks.
    Just finished the latest peter hamilton book also <3

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,991 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

mcgovern wrote: »
    How was this? It's on my "To Read" list, although not scheduled for a while yet. I've read the first 3 books in the Agent Cormac series and I know this is set in part of the Polity universe - how does it measure up to the main series? I'm assuming (hoping) well as I've also got the sequel "The Voyage of the Sable Keach".
    bonkey wrote: »
    The Gap into Conflict (book one) was far and away the weakest, worst of the series. If you like it, you're in for a treat. The series is, IMHO, some of the best sci-fi written in the 90s.
    +1. The Gap series is excellent and I think that it's not got the recognition that it deserved. For a few years it's been difficult to get your hands on it, although that's changed with a recent reprint. It's got some excellent characters in it and an intelligent plot, filled with genuinely interesting twists and turns. One of the best series I've read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,199 ✭✭✭Shryke

bluewolf wrote: »
    "excession" by iain banks.
    Just finished the latest peter hamilton book also <3

Finished Excession a day or two ago.
    Started Dracula and I'm actually really liking it. I didn't think it would hold up but it's doing very well for itself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,770 ✭✭✭shockwave

Halfway through the farseer trilogly by Robin Hobb and its pretty good.

Its a lot better than the liveship trilogy which I didnt really warm to at all.

As soon as im finished it i'll start on The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. Looking forward to that one.

bonkey wrote: »
    The Awakened Mage by Karen Miller (sequel to The Innocent Mage).

Not the best two-parter I've ever read, but I like her main character (Asher) because he's plenty flawed.

Took time out from this to read The Temporal Void, returned to it, and am now taking time out again to read Anathem.

(And I took time out from re-reading Return Of The Crimson Guard to read TIM and TAM in the first place)

SO I guess I'm sort of reading 3 books at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Reading the latest in the Runelord series by David Farland. Was pleased enough with the series until the last book (book 5). Still not the happiest with the way things are going now tho. Ill keep ye informed :)

• Advertisement

ixoy wrote: »
    How was this? It's on my "To Read" list, although not scheduled for a while yet. I've read the first 3 books in the Agent Cormac series and I know this is set in part of the Polity universe - how does it measure up to the main series? I'm assuming (hoping) well as I've also got the sequel "The Voyage of the Sable Keach".

Its really good, Scatterjay is a very dangerous place! It doesn't have the same level of mad technology as the Ian Cormac books, but there is enough there to keep it interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

shockwave wrote: »
    Halfway through the farseer trilogly by Robin Hobb and its pretty good.

Its a lot better than the liveship trilogy which I didnt really warm to at all.

As soon as im finished it i'll start on The Blade Itself by Joe Abercrombie. Looking forward to that one.

Farseer is the best thing Hobb has written imo. Stay away from her latest trilogy(soldier son), its absolute muck.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Just finished Ubik by Philip K. Dick very good. Reading Foundation by Asimov.

The Neutronium Alchemist by Peter Hamilton, not liking the start of it so far, I hate the crap on Cricklade.

A Briefer History of Time by Stephen Hawking. It's very simple but very informative.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

LOTP wrote: »
    Farseer is the best thing Hobb has written imo. Stay away from her latest trilogy(soldier son), its absolute muck.

I was wondering if it was something wrong with me. I read the first two sets and then started on this one, I've read the first third of the first book three times trying to wrap my brain around it before I gave up.

Reading Blood Ravens Ominbus (40k) and starting on the fourth book of Saga of Seven Suns with hopefully a Robert Rankin book thrown inbetween.

"The Final Watch" by Sergei Lukyanenko

Seems to be up to the level of the original trilogy (Night/Day/Twilight Watch).

Crime and Punishment. And if that gets a little heavy then I have Nietzsche to read. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭CerebralCortex

Richard Dawkins The Selfish Gene, Isaac Asimov Foundation and Empire and just recently finish reading Daniel C. Denett Breaking the Spell Religion as a Natural Phenomenon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭eVeNtInE

This post has been deleted.

Advertisement