Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What Are You Reading?

Comments

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,994 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

Reading this thread I have added The Darkness That Comes Before and Empire in Black and Gold to my wish list - if either suck I shall vent internet rage at you all :)
    Ronanc1 wrote: »
    :P Thirded
    Trojan wrote: »
    I've only ordered two, but ixoy, I'll be coming with the pitchforks right behind Nody ;)
    Nody wrote: »
    I'll hold you personally responsible now after having ordered the first six books (added to my ever growing pile of "things to be read one day") :P
    shaneor wrote: »
    I might have to move it back up my list!
    I am now emailing Tchaikovsky to get my reward for getting him so many sales - the marketing worked!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 546 ✭✭✭gufnork

Liamalone wrote: »
    Just finished Dark Tower number 6, Song of Susannah, cracking stuff, roll on number 7'!

I've no.4 lined up next 'Wizard and Glass'. Have really enjoyed them all so far. Is a very good series.

Also just finished Wild Cards no.6 'Ace in the Hole'. So pissed that
    Chrysalis is dead. She was one of my favourites.
    Another great series though. The
    investigation into her murder is the next one,
    so that's something at least.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gufnork wrote: »
    Also just finished Wild Cards no.6 'Ace in the Hole'. So pissed that
    Chrysalis is dead. She was one of my favourites.
    Another great series though. The
    investigation into her murder is the next one,
    so that's something at least.
    Is that the same book series that was a one season TV series (flight group fighting in space called the Wild Cards with one invitro among them etc.)?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Is that the same book series that was a one season TV series (flight group fighting in space called the Wild Cards with one invitro among them etc.)?

I don't know about the TV Series, but it's a Superhero Anthology with different Authors edited by George R.R. Martin (Game of Thrones Fame).

I have all the Originals by Bantam, but not the other ones. And I haven't gotten into it yet, so can't comment on its Quality.

More Info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wild_Cards#Movies

Hope that helps.

Don't know about that at all I'm afraid. I only started reading them when I was looking for some superhero fiction to read. It hasn't even occurred to me that there might even be a tv series. Did I read somewhere recently that there's a movie of the first book in the offing? Can't remember where I saw it now, but I'm sure I'm not making it up. I'd love to see that come to fruition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,267 ✭✭✭mcgovern

I think you are thinking of Space: Above & Beyond. Good show, but not related to George RR Martin's books.

Finished The Bonehunters, which was enjoyable as usual.
    The read Patient Zero by Jonathan Mayberry. It was enjoyable, but could do with better editing and was a bit too unbelievable at times.

Now starting Chindi by Jack McDevitt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

Just finished "The Stone Canal" by Ken McLeod, very enjoyable, lots of interesting tongue in cheek takes on the Monty Pythonesque nature of small political groups who find themselves with a bit of power and throw it all away by arguing about what they should do while becoming irrelevant.
    Robots, clones, brave new worlds and a really nice turn of phrase.

I have just started "Broken Homes" by Ben Arronovich and it is really hitting the spot, I think that it is a stay up too late to read just one more chapter book, which while good for my head is probably not so good for my state of grumpiness in work!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Finished the Rithmatist, Sanderson continues in his search for different magic systems. I kinda liked it, it's to be continued, how many things has that guy got going at the moment, mistborn, way of kings, rithmatist, he's starting off another trilogy "Reckoners" soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭bradyle

Finished the Rithmatist, Sanderson continues in his search for different magic systems. I kinda liked it, it's to be continued, how many things has that guy got going at the moment, mistborn, way of kings, rithmatist, he's starting off another trilogy "Reckoners" soon.

I liked it! It was different to his normal but still enjoyable and while I'm glad it'll be a trillogy I have others I'd rather he got on with mainly the next lot of mist born and the elantris...oh and I'd love if he did more on the emperors soul.

He has made a blog post that shows his plans for writing in the future. Got to love an author that is amazing and seems to like putting out lots of books and can still keep them at such a high level. Lots to look forward too!

• Advertisement

I may have dipped into kids books last night and read the first 2 book's in Brandon Sanderson's Alcatraz series. They're good, childish and funny, reminded be of Eoin Colfer's books.

So if any of ye have know any young kids that are interested in fantasy or even ye yourself feel like reading something short and funny I definitely recommend them! I am still a gigantic kid at heat!!!

bradyle wrote: »
    He has made a blog post that shows his plans for writing in the future
    The man's a machine! Impressed with how many works he outputs. Let's compare to "he's not your bitch" GRRM:

Since 2005 GRRM has published 2 long novels, 1 short novel and a novella.

Since 2005, Sanderson has published 9 long novels (600+ pages), 5 regular sized YA novels, and 5 novellas.

Machine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Words of Radiance had been delayed though. Only a few months but I was really looking forward to it after reading Way of Kings last year.

I really need to rered WoK before Words of Radiance comes out. It's been too long!!

Has anyone here read Maze Runners by James Dashner?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

ixoy wrote: »
    Just finished it a few days ago and I wouldn't call it teenage fiction. I thought it was very well written myself, a good character driven piece. It's got a good premise and was well thought out.

Thoroughly enjoyed Wool, a proper page-turner I thought. Started on the Quantum Thief, enjoyable thus far but the characters seem a bit one dimensional.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan needed some gritty cyberpunk and it delivers, looking forward to reading more of it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,335 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Morag wrote: »
    Altered Carbon by Richard K. Morgan needed some gritty cyberpunk and it delivers, looking forward to reading more of it.
    Good book but the series grows weaker (imo) as it moves on; also look at his other stand alone books which are very nice as well (he's one of my favorite authors).

A quick read of "Flatland: A Romance of Many Dimensions" by Edwin A. Abott which I got under Project Guttenberg for free. Enjoy the concept of a 2-D character trying to relate to a 3-D - it's very imaginative (and also inspired a recent Futurama episode). Won't take me long to get through this.

Am just finishing The Lion Men of Mongo by Alex Raymond, a Flash Gordon novel based on a cartoon strip in a newspaper way back in the '30s. Even though Alex Raymond is credited on the cover, he was in fact the artist of the cartoon strips it was based on, the author was in fact a Con Steffanson. It's amusing and entertaining and holds up quite well after all this time, which I think has a lot to do with Flash Gordon stories having a very pulp feel anyway no matter which decade they were written in. There's even a very cute little copper robot in it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Just finished Brayan's Gold and would like more of that from Peter V Brett but it looks like he has lost the touch all ready with the series.
    Going to read some non-fantasy next with Skippy Dies by Paul Murray, just to recharge the batteries. Been a bit burnt out on the auld scifi/fan genres lately, with the likes of Anthony Ryan being all hype and really just be more generic fantasy.
    Gearing up for a few good release then with Steelheart, Emporer of Thorns and those damnably Bast**ds on the way as well.

Have started on book #7 of the Gor Chronicles, Captive of Gor by John Norman.

Also reading "Diaspora" by Greg Egan. 4% in and it's already showing more inventiveness with post-Singularity human consciousness than nearly any other piece of work out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭RoboAmish

Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Excellent and surprisingly moving closer. I still think The Final Empire was the best of the three but Hero Of Ages was a great capper.

RoboAmish wrote: »
    Just finished the Mistborn trilogy. Excellent and surprisingly moving closer. I still think The Final Empire was the best of the three but Hero Of Ages was a great capper.

Give the alloy of law a go. Allomancy mixed with Feruchemy and guns. Very good evolution of the magic.

Finally got back to Daniel Abrahams "Dagger and Coin" series. I don't what it is about his books, but i really like them. It was the same with the long price, i couldn't say why but i just could not put the books down.

I'll hold you personally responsible now after having ordered the first six books (added to my ever growing pile of "things to be read one day") :P
    Started reading the first book; about 50 pages in so far and pitch fork is still lying next to bed just in case.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Nearing the end of 'Deadhouse Gates' finding it hard enough going really. Does this series improve or is the rest of it more of the same sort of thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Nearing the end of 'Deadhouse Gates' finding it hard enough going really. Does this series improve or is the rest of it more of the same sort of thing?

I mostly enjoyed Deadhouse Gates, particularly the Chain of Dogs sections, but I gave up about 15% into book 3, this series is not for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

Finished "The Gunslinger" recently. It took me awhile to get into it but not bad at the end. It felt like it was just setting up the rest of the series rather than a standalone read though.

About 15% through "The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron at the moment and enjoying it so far. Its an interesting world but there seems like a lot of independent characters. Hopefully it doesn't wander in too many directions at once.

Finished Chindi, Very enjoyable, I'm really getting into this series.
    Started The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, interesting, but a bit too much of her trying to sledgehammer her views into your head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

mcgovern wrote: »
    Finished Chindi, Very enjoyable, I'm really getting into this series.
    Started The Handmaid's Tale by Margaret Atwood, interesting, but a bit too much of her trying to sledgehammer her views into your head.

I'd recommend 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood also, a strange and interesting read.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Mogworld by Yahtzee Croshaw: An undead wizard in a Multiplayer Warcraft game on a quest so find eternal rest - quite humourous.

Reading "Rivers of London" by Ben Aarvonitch. Haven't read much of his stuff since his earlier Doctor Who work and I'm enjoying this - light, fast, and witty so far (8% in) and yeah, already a Doctor Who reference.

Also on the short story collection "Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse". This time there's a theme (post-apocalypse). Read two so far and they're reasonable. Will need a few more to gauge the collection's quality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

About 65% through "Empire in Black and Gold", pretty good going so far - it's not blowing me away but it's worth a solid 7/10 and looks like a good intro into the series.

I'd recommend 'Oryx and Crake' by Margaret Atwood also, a strange and interesting read.

I've read that one alright and its alot better than The Handmaid's Tale, so far at least.

shaneor wrote: »
    Finished "The Gunslinger" recently. It took me awhile to get into it but not bad at the end. It felt like it was just setting up the rest of the series rather than a standalone read though.

About 15% through "The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron at the moment and enjoying it so far. Its an interesting world but there seems like a lot of independent characters. Hopefully it doesn't wander in too many directions at once.

Got about halfway through but the constant switching of point of views has regulated to the pile that's even worse than the 'to read' pile, which is 'read some and got annoyed and maybe it might get another chance someday' pile.
    Pity as some of it was great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Beanstalk

Just read AJ smiths 'the black guard'. I liked it. POV chapters but still in third person (I hate first person fantasy books). Nice background world. the only qualm I have is that all the main characters are:
    adept and skilled warriors etc...

Starting into a prince of thorns again. I started it before but like I said above, first person narrative is not for me. I'm struggling to understand the protagonists line of thinking but hopefully it will get better.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,776 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Forward the Foundation at the moment. My second foray into the series after really enjoying Prelude. Apparently Forward is the last book in the series Asimov wrote but after googling around for recommended reading orders the in-world chronological order was what I went with.

Not too far in yet but seems as good as the last one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭giftgrub

Well I'm royally p***ed off...

Started The Hunger Games - Catching Fire the other day, really getting into it.

I've lost the book!! Cant find it anywhere in the house/car/office! Going spare.

So I've started the Starwars/Zombie mashup that is DEATH TROOPERS!!

Cheesy nerd fun...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭growler

Just finished the Quantum Thief m very enjoyable although a bit confusing at times. Starting into Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury which has been on my "to read" list for years now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭Bits_n_Bobs

growler wrote: »
    Starting into Farenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury which has been on my "to read" list for years now.

That's been on my 'to read' list as well - can you let us know what you think of it?

Currently reading Blue Remembered Earth by Alistair Reynolds. I thoroughly enjoyed most of his previous books but this one seems a bit mundane and definitely sloooooooowwwwww.

I'm at 50% and am struggling to stick with it, the charachters are dull as **** although he doesn't generally do charismatic ones anyway but usually has a decent menagerie of grotesque ones. The science seems a bit scattergun, the story a bit like a travelogue/mystery who-dun-it and the pace is glacial. And this from one of my favorite authors :( I might cry.....

• Advertisement

Reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Very good so far - nice to see an intelligent approach to being stranded on Mars. Lucky I bought it a while back too because owing to its success it's now been withdrawn from sale until 2014 when - like Anthony Ryan's book - it will return at a higher price.

• Registered Users Posts: 99 ✭✭shaneor

ixoy wrote: »
    Reading "The Martian" by Andy Weir. Very good so far - nice to see an intelligent approach to being stranded on Mars. Lucky I bought it a while back too because owing to its success it's now been withdrawn from sale until 2014 when - like Anthony Ryan's book - it will return at a higher price.

I read that awhile back and loved it. Intelligent and realistic but funny as well. It's great to see a new author do well off the back of self publishing.

It's getting a book release next year as well.

Finished The Handmaid's Tale, I wouldn't recommend it. 1/3 through The Escapement by K.J. Parker, the last book in the Engineer Triology. It's not as strong as the first two, but I'm still looking forward to see how he finishes it.

Started on Ubik by Phillip K Dick, The Plague of Sound by Alex Raymond and The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com which is a huge free book containing 150 short stories from the first 5 years of the site.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭sentient_6

Finally finished the first law trilogy last night. Overall i thought it was great. My interested nearly waned a bit into last argument but im glad i stuck it out. I've a list of random books up next that includes wool, the yard (alex grecian) & blindsighted by karin slaughter. Not sure where to start. I took a break from malazan awhile ago with just the crippled god to go, might get back to that & finish it out. Id love to re-read from the start but i'm not sure im prepared to dedicate the next 2 years of my life to it....again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 700 ✭✭✭nicowa

Currently working my way through Feist. Read Magician, Silverthorn and am now on Darkness at Sethanon.

He does drag it out a bit though doesn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

nicowa wrote: »
    Currently working my way through Feist. Read Magician, Silverthorn and am now on Darkness at Sethanon.

He does drag it out a bit though doesn't he?
    Ah. You're working your way through Feist's 'dragging it out' phase? You're gonna love the 'milking it' books. To say nothing of the 'autopilot' years...

Stop after those three! Classics. All downhill from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Raif Severance

Feist is Dragging?

Boy, I can't wait to hear your opinion once you've read something from Peter V Brett, KJ Parker or R. Scott Bakker. :D

• Advertisement

Heh dragging it out.

Stop reading after the serpent war saga, that was his best stuff, it was in autopilot like endacl said.

Advertisement